PDA

View Full Version : Power Meter...Stay with Campy??

Vamoots58
08-16-2014, 06:24 PM
About to buy a Power Meter for my C59. Grouppo is Super Record EPS. It's a 50th b'day gift from the wife, budget entirely up to me. I am torn between three Choices:

SRM Campagnolo
SRM Rotor 3D+
Power2Max Campagnolo

SRM Campy keeps the grouppo Campy consistent with the gold standard in PM's. The SRM Rotor is about $1000 cheaper and does allow me more choices with chainrings. The Power2Max is roughly half of the SRM, but still Campy. P2M seems to get good reviews, but clearly not as tested a design/company. Would appreciate any thoughts. Is is sacrilege to mix Rotor cranks with SR??

RobJ
08-16-2014, 06:52 PM
I have a P2M on both my road and tri/TT bike (on Rotor cranks). Highly recommend them. Extremely accurate, good in any weather, can change rings without having to send out for recalibration, user replaceable battery etc. The SRM appears to require regular service from the factory. The P2M is all black and blends nicely with the cranks as well. And you can stay true to Campy. Also the customer service from P2M on the forums has been excellent.

They're closing out their 'Classic' line of meters now so there are some good deals.

shovelhd
08-16-2014, 07:44 PM
SRM Campagnolo. With SR EPS, you have the best with the best.

/thread

FlashUNC
08-16-2014, 07:50 PM
SRM is the gold standard for a reason.

If cost is no object, they're the obvious choice.

RedRider
08-16-2014, 09:17 PM
There are some excellent powermeters now available but... you're talking a Colnago C-59 with Campy SR EPS so anything less than a SRM Campy crank would be a downgrade. You currently have the best of the best (or at least the most expensive) bicycle and components. If money is not a big issue stick with that buying strategy. No one ever regretted buying an SRM.

firerescuefin
08-16-2014, 09:30 PM
Man...if you've got the green light, it's not even a debate.

Can't wait to see the pics of that sweet Campy SRM crank on that C59.

About to buy a Power Meter for my C59. Grouppo is Super Record EPS. It's a 50th b'day gift from the wife, budget entirely up to me. I am torn between three Choices:

SRM Campagnolo
SRM Rotor 3D+
Power2Max Campagnolo

SRM Campy keeps the grouppo Campy consistent with the gold standard in PM's. The SRM Rotor is about $1000 cheaper and does allow me more choices with chainrings. The Power2Max is roughly half of the SRM, but still Campy. P2M seems to get good reviews, but clearly not as tested a design/company. Would appreciate any thoughts. Is is sacrilege to mix Rotor cranks with SR??

RobJ
08-17-2014, 10:10 AM
SRM was the gold standard. I think the argument can be made that the winds of change are upon us. Look at the market share numbers, new devices,teams switching away ( yes I realize that's dictated by sponsorship deals largely). Don't get me wrong, not knocking an SRM.

The pm is so minimal and hardly visible that neither choice would detract from the bike. But the bottom line is that the function of a pm is to measure wattage accurately, ride after ride. If product A varies from Product B, so what unless you have one of each on different bikes. You plan your workouts on your baseline wattage or FTP based on what your pm tells you. If for workout one it says 300w and the next time for the same workout it's 310w, you improved and all you care is that your pm is measuring accurately each time. And they all do that.

So I would use the budget for a p2m and another training device like a Kickr. Now you got maximal improvement at your disposal. Of course if you already have one, then get an SRM :banana:

christian
08-17-2014, 10:13 AM
I would get the p2m campy. The SRM battery thing would annoy me too much.

firerescuefin
08-17-2014, 10:22 AM
I had to do these mental gymnastics 3 years ago.....and bit the bullet, purchasing the SRM (new). I hear about lots of issues with the Stages and Quarqs (more with the Quarqs since being purchased by SRAM).

I hear you Christian about the battery, but we're talking once every couple of years. They go through it, recal, replace the battery, and turn it really quick. The SRM folks in Colorado Springs are top notch. Better than having to play the warranty return game IMO.

SRM was the gold standard. I think the argument can be made that the winds of change are upon us. Look at the market share numbers, new devices,teams switching away ( yes I realize that's dictated by sponsorship deals largely). Don't get me wrong, not knocking an SRM.

The pm is so minimal and hardly visible that neither choice would detract from the bike. But the bottom line is that the function of a pm is to measure wattage accurately, ride after ride. If product A varies from Product B, so what unless you have one of each on different bikes. You plan your workouts on your baseline wattage or FTP based on what your pm tells you. If for workout one it says 300w and the next time for the same workout it's 310w, you improved and all you care is that your pm is measuring accurately each time. And they all do that.

So I would use the budget for a p2m and another training device like a Kickr. Now you got maximal improvement at your disposal. Of course if you already have one, then get an SRM :banana:

pinoymamba
08-17-2014, 10:52 AM
what about an elsa or riken model quarq?

i've used 3 quarqs and had no issues. i've heard more issues about stages than quarqs. about 90% of the time i come across a PM here in the Bay Area it's a quarq.

r_mutt
08-17-2014, 11:33 AM
i have had good luck with Quarq's. i had an issue with a 2 year old model and they warrantied it. the new gen riken and elsa seem to be a bit more reliable.
having said that, i would love to try a Campag SRM. having tried numerous chainrings, nothing shifts as well as campagnolo rings.

mikerp
08-17-2014, 12:26 PM
I have both the SRM and P2MaxS.
If you are just stepping in I'd recommend the P2MaxS, it is very comparable to the SRM and offers calculated balance L/R. Cranks are the same between the 2, the P2Max is easier to install (spring clamp). The cadence on the P2Max is weaker as it is done with accelerometers vs. triggered as the the SRM.

kophinos
08-17-2014, 06:34 PM
P2M classics are being blown out for a great price right now. I'm trying to convince myself thats all I need and that I shouldn't hold out for a Type S for an additional $300. This isn't the Wight Weenies forum, none of you will judge me, right? Right?

jimoots
08-17-2014, 06:50 PM
P2M classics are being blown out for a great price right now. I'm trying to convince myself thats all I need and that I shouldn't hold out for a Type S for an additional $300. This isn't the Wight Weenies forum, none of you will judge me, right? Right?

I went the classic and justified it on the grounds that soon enough the Type S price will drop, I can buy another one, and move the classic onto another bike.

At the minute I can't afford two PM's and in six months time the classic model will be gone. I certainly can't justify two Type S's but can justify a Type S on my main bike and a classic on my cross or backup bike.

I do think the Type S looks nicer but marginally so, and 60 grams is not a lot of weight unless you're a weirdo who weighs their bike every night. And then in the morning.

Bobbo
08-17-2014, 08:02 PM
Cost no issue - go SRM. If the budget is a factor and I didn't want to sully my Italian rig with non-campag gear, P2M. I just went through the same decision process, but decided to mix a Quarq Riken with my Chorus group. So far, no regrets. Crank works great, PM flawless.