PDA

View Full Version : OT: Dollar Shave Club Commercial

Uncle Jam's Army
08-16-2014, 02:31 PM
As an aside from some of the weightier and on-topic matters being discussed, this week while viewing the Eneco Tour on Universal Sports I ran across this commercial for Dollar Shave Club. One of the funniest, irreverent commercials I've seen in a loooong while:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUG9qYTJMsI

The TV ad is shorter, but still great.

shovelhd
08-16-2014, 02:59 PM
Love it.

Ahneida Ride
08-16-2014, 03:03 PM
How many blades do you get for one frn?

Blades used to be dirt cheap.

Cat3roadracer
08-16-2014, 09:00 PM
That's been around for sometime. I wonder if the company is profitable.

dave thompson
08-16-2014, 09:54 PM
I've used the Dollar shave club for about 6 months now. Decent products, great service. They offer different blade cartridges; 2, 3 and blades on each cartridge. The 5-paks of 2 bladed cartridges are $1 a month. Shipping is $2. I have pretty light whiskers so blades last me quite a while. I have my 5-pak shipped once very two months instead of once a month. With the shipping cost figured in, I guess I belong to the $1.50 Shave Club.

old fat man
08-17-2014, 07:07 AM
Check out dorco razors. Same product, minus the subscription. I spent $25 for my wife and I to get free shipping and have been working through the supply for 2.5 years

christian
08-17-2014, 07:21 AM
I've been using a Gilette Super Adjustable for 20 years. Feather blades are 14 bucks for 50 blades and they last 7-10 shaves each. I splurge and buy Tabac shaving soap so my total spend per year is probably $40. But I still don't get the shaving forums. That's like a showering forum. It's something I do, but not a lifestyle thing.

LegendRider
08-17-2014, 07:30 AM
I've used the Dollar shave club for about 6 months now. Decent products, great service. They offer different blade cartridges; 2, 3 and blades on each cartridge. The 5-paks of 2 bladed cartridges are $1 a month. Shipping is $2. I have pretty light whiskers so blades last me quite a while. I have my 5-pak shipped once very two months instead of once a month. With the shipping cost figured in, I guess I belong to the $1.50 Shave Club.

Same here. Inexpensive and convenient. Blade quality is decent, not spectacular.

classtimesailer
08-17-2014, 08:57 AM
Very entertaining irreverent commercial. I wonder who the creator is and if this blade company is not really a little guy.

OtayBW
08-17-2014, 10:25 AM
I've been using a Gilette Super Adjustable for 20 years. Feather blades are 14 bucks for 50 blades and they last 7-10 shaves each. I splurge and buy Tabac shaving soap so my total spend per year is probably $40. But I still don't get the shaving forums. That's like a showering forum. It's something I do, but not a lifestyle thing.
To each his own. I collect, restore, and shave daily with vintage straights. You surely must 'get' that other people have interests that are about as obscure to some folks as $10K+ bicycles must seem to others. :rolleyes:
Try some Mitchell's Wool Fat soap sometime if you like. High tallow content - very good shave.

josephr
08-17-2014, 10:51 AM
funny ad...but it'd be a cold day in hell before I give up my Schick Quattro.

jds108
08-17-2014, 11:34 AM
funny ad...but it'd be a cold day in hell before I give up my Schick Quattro.

You haven't tried the Gilette Fusion, have you? :)

christian
08-17-2014, 12:01 PM
To each his own. I collect, restore, and shave daily with vintage straights. You surely must 'get' that other people have interests that are about as obscure to some folks as $10K+ bicycles must seem to others. :rolleyes:Not judging; I have a membership on B&B even. But I have a nice badger brush, my SA, some Tabac and I get a great daily shave. I guess it's just that I'm happy in CAAD9 shave land. If you're shaving Crumpton-style, more power to you!

climbgdh
08-17-2014, 12:20 PM
Badger brush, shave soap in a dish, double edge Merkur razor for me for several months now and I love the super close shave. Merkur razor was expensive but will last me the rest of my days. Blades work out to about 70 cents each and last 3 weeks or so shaving every second day. I got tired of parting with so much cash for those Gillette things that rip the hair off your face!! :)

Didn't know about the dollar shave club but no lookin' back for me.

Idris Icabod
08-17-2014, 02:39 PM
Blades work out to about 70 cents each

Can I ask which blades you use? You can buy packs of 100 of most of the popular brands for less than $10 on Amazon.

Cicli
08-17-2014, 02:54 PM
Can I ask which blades you use? You can buy packs of 100 of most of the popular brands for less than $10 on Amazon.

I use a DE also. I use Wilkenson Swords and they run about .40 each.
I did not have good luck with the cheaper DE blades. I did get a whole box of Derbys for 10 bucks but they irritate too much.

Dead Man
08-17-2014, 02:55 PM
Mach III

4 lyf

Thanks, US Army.

climbgdh
08-17-2014, 03:37 PM

use Merkur. i've tried other cheaper ones but they irritate my face. at 70 cents each i'm not worried about the extra cost. feather make a great blade too but i think are about 80 cents each. still WAY cheaper than gillette!! :)

Idris Icabod
08-17-2014, 04:34 PM
use Merkur. i've tried other cheaper ones but they irritate my face. at 70 cents each i'm not worried about the extra cost. feather make a great blade too but i think are about 80 cents each. still WAY cheaper than gillette!! :)

Thanks, I think I'll try the Merkur and Wilkinson blades. I've been using Derby and Astra blades and they do burn a little.

climbgdh
08-17-2014, 04:55 PM
Thanks, I think I'll try the Merkur and Wilkinson blades. I've been using Derby and Astra blades and they do burn a little.

i found the wilkinson blades not near as sharp as the Merkur or Feather blades. didn't last as long either.

josephr
08-17-2014, 05:12 PM
You haven't tried the Gilette Fusion, have you? :)

actually the wife got one of those....it was very nice, but me the the Quattro have history together now. :)

OtayBW
08-17-2014, 05:26 PM
i found the wilkinson blades not near as sharp as the Merkur or Feather blades. didn't last as long either.
Yep - Feathers are about as sharp as you can get. Try the Israeli Personnas as well. Or if you really want to step it up, try a Merkur slant razor.

Idris Icabod
08-17-2014, 05:48 PM

Just for a heads up, they are $4.39/10 on Amazon if you subscribe to have some shipped every 1-6 months. There, saved you 36 cents per blade, go buy some Enve wheels, you'll break even after about 7,500 blades!

climbgdh
08-17-2014, 06:11 PM
Just for a heads up, they are $4.39/10 on Amazon if you subscribe to have some shipped every 1-6 months. There, saved you 36 cents per blade, go buy some Enve wheels, you'll break even after about 7,500 blades!

:banana:

dogdriver
08-18-2014, 09:00 PM
Also a DSC patron. Great service, funny reading comes with the shipments, razors well above my not-so-lofty standards. If you want to continue down the Youtube "funny advertisements" rabbit hole, try searching "One Wipe Charlies" (same guy, I think he's the honcho of DSC and OWC's are one of his products), and "Poo Pouri".

fiamme red
08-18-2014, 10:57 PM
Try some Mitchell's Wool Fat soap sometime if you like. High tallow content - very good shave.Or if you want to smell like Mont Ventoux:

http://www.rapha.cc/us/en_US/shop/shaving-cream/product/SCM01

Male cyclists who shave their legs, for better or worse, like to luxuriate in the process of lathering up and then lovingly depilating their legs. Rapha, which caters to just such traditions, gives us another reason to savor a shave with this cream. Like other Rapha skin care products (soap, embrocation, and chamois cream), this one takes its inspiration from the slopes of Mont Ventoux, and uses ingredients like Juniper berries, Cypress, Lavender, and pine needles to create a scent that evokes the Giant of Provence. http://dyzmn8020x6cd.cloudfront.net/sys-master/products/h7e/h51/8831429771294/SCM01-Loc-SS12-02.jpg_MEDIUM

azrider
06-25-2015, 01:03 PM
Just signed up for the "Humble Twin". Has anyone out there tried this service and if you have can you report back on the quality of the razors ?

Cicli
06-25-2015, 01:11 PM
The wife used the twins for a while. She uses DSC's middle of the road ones now. Four blades lasts about a month. Still better than the store ones.

azrider
06-25-2015, 01:17 PM
I collect, restore, and shave daily with vintage straights.

What's the learning curve like using straights?

I have a couple co-workers who tried to get me to go that route but I'm too afraid of butchering my face for couple of weeks......

How often do you have to sharpen a straight edge? Is it true that a good quality straight will be $180+ ?

EPIC! Stratton
06-25-2015, 01:36 PM
I used DSC for a few years. Did the humble twin every other week. Worked fine for me. Used mostly for legs rather than face. Finally cancelled my subscription this past winter since I couldn't ride for a while and razors started to pile up. Will likely restart it in the future. Good service. Way cheaper than the stores. That said get friends to try it using your referral code to score credit towards free blades. It ain't much but it's nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MattTuck
06-25-2015, 04:41 PM
No experience, but this article in the WSJ about online razor sales from a few days ago (http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB12147335600370333763904581058081668712042) was interesting.

MattTuck
07-21-2016, 08:09 AM
1 Billion Dollar Shave Club. wowsers.

Corso
07-21-2016, 09:52 AM
I’ve been using safety razors for a bout a year and a half now, and wish I had tried them decades ago.

Dollar shave blades are still 2 blade cartridges. As the (multi-blade) propaganda states, the first blade grabs & pulls, while the second blade cuts (beneath the skin). Problem with that is in-grown hair and not so smooth skin as the hair has to “grow out” again. Blades also jam with hair.

The single edge of a safety razor cuts flush with the skin, so hair doesn’t have to “break through” every few days. Hair will appear to “grow faster”, as your not cutting below skin line. So you may want to shave more often, depending on your No “jamming" either.

There are many videos out the web that demonstrate how to use a safety razor. Worth a look to learn technique. Pre-shave oil & lather can also be used for better “cartridge" shaving too.

I now shave every day with a safety razor, oil, brush on soap, after shave. It’s become a pleasant ritual vs the old “pain in the butt” of shaving.
It’s a very smooth shave, and no skin irritations.

Blades are so much cheaper than cartridges, even for the best-sharpest blades (japan-Kai & Feather). Cheap blades can go for under a buck for 5 blades, but cheap blades don’t work for me. Cheaper = duller, cuts, and less shaves per blade.

Visit:http://www.maggardrazors.com

I’m not selling anything, just passing along info.

benb
07-21-2016, 10:09 AM
I used DSC for a while last year (probably about a year). Switched back to Gillette earlier this spring. I had some left over Mach 3 blades and decided to take them on vacation. Pretty much instantly decided the DSC blades suck.

Good for them but it's mostly marketing. I was paying $1.50 per blade for the DSC 4-blade razors. The Mach 3s I get for $1.90 per blade from Amazon Subscribe and save. DSC blades feel like crap after about 3 days. I was switching them out after 7 days. Mach 3s practically still feel new after 7 days. I've been switching them out with the same frequency but may try 10 or 14 days. For me washing my face well beforehand is the biggest difference (coarse hair) but no matter what the DSC blades cause a lot more irritation and don't last long. The DSC blades also are closer together and gunk up with hair a lot more, it makes it take a little longer to shave. If the DSC 4 blade ones are so bad I wasn't going to try the 2-blade ones. I have tried the Gillette Fusion 5-blade ones, both those and the DSC 4-blade seem too wide to fit in some areas..

Great marketing though...

azrider
07-21-2016, 10:21 AM
1 Billion Dollar Shave Club. wowsers.

Good for them!! That musta been a huge payday for the dude who made that viral video.

As for their blades i have to agree with the last two people. I signed up and went from the Humble Twin to the 4X and eventually the Executive and I couldn't get a good shave to save my life from their blades. I wanted it to work so badly as I thought they had a great concept but the blades just plain sucked.

MattTuck
07-21-2016, 10:22 AM
Good for them!! That musta been a huge payday for the dude who made that viral video.

As for their blades i have to agree with the last two people. I signed up and went from the Humble Twin to the 4X and eventually the Executive and I couldn't get a good shave to save my life from their blades. I wanted it to work so badly as I thought they had a great concept but the blades just plain sucked.

I heard the same thing, and ended up going with Harry's. Just got 3 or so blades to test 'em out. I don't shave very often, with a beard and all... but I've been satisifed with the Harry's stuff, and I dig their design aesthetic.

azrider
07-21-2016, 10:27 AM
I heard the same thing, and ended up going with Harry's. Just got 3 or so blades to test 'em out. I don't shave very often, with a beard and all... but I've been satisifed with the Harry's stuff, and I dig their design aesthetic.

Really? I'll have to try 'em out.

I went back to the Mach3 multi pack from Costco which I can usually make last for about 6 months.

One of these days I want to try and give a straight razor a try....but then again I feel like a Monocle and pocket watch will follow shortly thereafter :p

benb
07-21-2016, 10:30 AM
DSC blades are Dorco for what it's worth. They just buy blades and ship them out. Amazing business plan and marketing..

One financial article about this buyout really stressed how amazing it is, Unilever paid $1 billion for DSC and all DSC does is run a website and drop stuff in the mail, P&G paid $57 billion for Gillette when they bought them, but that's a full chain from marketing, distribution, engineering, production, etc..

Oh the DSC shave gel is amazing.. that stuff is very good. I just couldn't see staying on a plan and just getting the gel.

rugbysecondrow
07-21-2016, 12:20 PM
Same here. Works well, I like the feel, and much cheaper. I use the brush and soap disc as well...even that is cheaper.

Anyway, wish I would have switched years ago and quit buying expensive razors and making those razors last longer than they should.

Cheers,

Paul

I’ve been using safety razors for a bout a year and a half now, and wish I had tried them decades ago.

Dollar shave blades are still 2 blade cartridges. As the (multi-blade) propaganda states, the first blade grabs & pulls, while the second blade cuts (beneath the skin). Problem with that is in-grown hair and not so smooth skin as the hair has to “grow out” again. Blades also jam with hair.

The single edge of a safety razor cuts flush with the skin, so hair doesn’t have to “break through” every few days. Hair will appear to “grow faster”, as your not cutting below skin line. So you may want to shave more often, depending on your No “jamming" either.

There are many videos out the web that demonstrate how to use a safety razor. Worth a look to learn technique. Pre-shave oil & lather can also be used for better “cartridge" shaving too.

I now shave every day with a safety razor, oil, brush on soap, after shave. It’s become a pleasant ritual vs the old “pain in the butt” of shaving.

Blades are so much cheaper than cartridges, even for the best-sharpest blades (japan-Kai & Feather). Cheap blades can go for under a buck for 5 blades, but cheap blades don’t work for me. Cheaper = duller, cuts, and less shaves per blade.

AJM100
07-21-2016, 01:30 PM
+1000 = been using safety razor and brush for about 10 years. I can't remember the last time I bought a blade, purchased a lot of 100 high quality stainless blades for dirt cheap on Amazon over a year ago and still using them. Each blade yields 3-4 shaves. Have never done the math, but have saved the cost of a new used bike easily.

Climb01742
07-21-2016, 01:45 PM

For years I've hated shelling out all the money to Gillette, so recently I tried Harry's razors. A huge disappointment. Every shave I nick or cut myself once, often twice. So I'm curious about single bladed, safety razor shaving.

What set-up would you recommend for someone wanting to dip their toes (face) into the safety razor waters? Which razor? Which blades? And what soap/brush? Thanks very!

benb
07-21-2016, 02:27 PM
I am curious too.. every time I read anything about using the double edged razors it sounds very time consuming and hipster like it's all about artisanal facial hair or something. Quick is good.

edit: Looked at Harry's razors. They are only $0.025 cheaper per blade than you can get Mach 3s for. At least DSC is saving you significant money assuming you use them the same length of time as you would the Gillette blades.

cdn_bacon
07-21-2016, 03:01 PM
I'm in on the safetyu razor and soap train as well. 100 safety blades are $15 and if you remember which side you used(mine have little numbers on the blade) they last a bit longer. still use disposables for the legs though.

for any canadians,

fendrihan.ca out of Oakville fast shipping. two days to me. great pricing.

MerckxMad
07-21-2016, 03:19 PM
I'm a refugee from the "safety" razor. Tried it for an extended period and after two trips to the dermatologist went to Harry's. The safety razor experiment included multiple nicks, ingrown hairs, and a nasty case of razor burn that could only be remedied by a topical steroid. I was taken in by the whole man ritual nonsense. It's a monstrous waste of time: pre-shave oil, badger brush, messy soaps, and a German razor slicing up my face as my teenager distracted my morning "ritual". Feh. Lather up, run the multi-blade across your face and get on with life.

azrider
07-21-2016, 03:19 PM

Same here. Works well, I like the feel, and much cheaper. I use the brush and soap disc as well...even that is cheaper.

Anyway, wish I would have switched years ago and quit buying expensive razors and making those razors last longer than they should.

Cheers,

Paul

Is there learning curve? My buddy who is trying to get me try straight razor said it took him couple of weeks to learn how to shave with it ("it" being straight razor.....not a 'safety' razor).

Did your skin adapt to it right away or did it too need to adjust ?

I'm in on the safetyu razor and soap train as well. 100 safety blades are $15 and if you remember which side you used(mine have little numbers on the blade) they last a bit longer. still use disposables for the legs though.

for any canadians,

fendrihan.ca out of Oakville fast shipping. two days to me. great pricing.

How many shaves can you get from one blade ?

rugbysecondrow
07-21-2016, 03:59 PM
Is there learning curve? My buddy who is trying to get me try straight razor said it took him couple of weeks to learn how to shave with it ("it" being straight razor.....not a 'safety' razor).

Did your skin adapt to it right away or did it too need to adjust ?

How many shaves can you get from one blade ?

I didn't think there was a learning curve, not too much. It is much simpler than you would think. I use one blade a week, so about 4-5 shaves.

I got this: https://www.amazon.com/Merkur-Long-Handled-Safety-Razor/dp/B000NL0T1G/ref=sr_1_1_s_it?s=beauty&ie=UTF8&qid=1469134696&sr=1-1&keywords=merkur+razor

Simple, straight forward. 100 razors were 10 bucks. It really is a game changes. I felt robbed everytime I bought razors. I got to the point where I had my wife get them so I wouldn't feel fleeced.

azrider
07-21-2016, 04:02 PM
I didn't think there was a learning curve, not too much. It is much simpler than you would think. I use one blade a week, so about 4-5 shaves.

I got this: https://www.amazon.com/Merkur-Long-Handled-Safety-Razor/dp/B000NL0T1G/ref=sr_1_1_s_it?s=beauty&ie=UTF8&qid=1469134696&sr=1-1&keywords=merkur+razor

Simple, straight forward. 100 razors were 10 bucks. It really is a game changes. I felt robbed everytime I bought razors. I got to the point where I had my wife get them so I wouldn't feel fleeced.

Ummmm........yeah, sounds like no brainer. Instead of the straight edge I might have to give this a shot.

Thanks for sharing.

Corso
07-21-2016, 04:13 PM
Safety razor beginning: The first shave I was very slow and cautious, by the third I didn’t even think about it. Use oil, lather up, and don’t push the razor into your face. The weight of the razor should do the work. This is different than the lightweight disposable and cartridge razors, where pressure is needed to cut.

Youtube has dozens of “how to use a safety razor” vids.

Getting started: I recommend an intro kit from Maggards. Get a inexpensive Maggards-brand razor, and a sample packs of blades. The cheap safety razors in local stores are too light, and “cheap”, think buying on like buying a Huffy. it will get you there, but wouldn’t you rather ride a Seven?

I’ve tried almost all the brands they carry for comparison, it’s amazing how different they are. Again, I’ve found you get what you pay for in the blade category. Japan and Russian made blades work best for me.

Straight razor: I haven’t gone their yet, but am curious.

Dead Man
07-21-2016, 04:17 PM
I just ordered some Feather blades, believing them to be substantially sharper than the Astras I've been using for the last year.. this'll probably be my last go at the safety razor for a while, or ever. I do think, used right, they reduce irritation.. and I seem to have incredibly irritatable skin. I get really bad ingrown hairs.

I also hate chopping off pieces of my skin.. which the Feather blades will probably not improve on... but my hope that by going to a sharper blade, my (apparently?) thick hair will shave off cleaner with less knicking and bouncing.

Because my skin is so prone to irritation and ingrown hairs, I don't shave very often... once a week, at most. My body hair, anyway. Face is entirely different. But because I wait so long between shavings, my hair is really too long to go against the grain. But going with, then again against, the grain takes so much time, even only doing it once a week I still don't have time for that bull****.

But when I really really do take my time, go soooo hella slow, am so careful coming around my ankle bones and all around my knee, when I do shave with the grain, change blade, and then ever so lightly go against the grain...... yes, it's definitely the least-irritation and ingrown-prone shave I've experienced.

If I don't get marked improvement from the Feathers, I think I'm going to start trying women's soap-ringed leg razors. The wife shaves every other day with no irritation, no ingrowns, and it only takes her 10-15 minutes tops. I'm looking at a solid hour minimum, and the bathtub will look like a horror movie by the time I'm done, most times. Such bull****.

azrider
07-21-2016, 04:22 PM
Safety razor beginning: The first shave I was very slow and cautious, by the third I didn’t even think about it. Use oil, lather up, and don’t push the razor into your face. The weight of the razor should do the work. This is different than the lightweight disposable and cartridge razors, where pressure is needed to cut.

Youtube has dozens of “how to use a safety razor” vids.

Getting started: I recommend an intro kit from Maggards. Get a inexpensive Maggards-brand razor, and a sample packs of blades. The cheap safety razors in local stores are too light, and “cheap”, think buying on like buying a Huffy. it will get you there, but wouldn’t you rather ride a Seven?

I’ve tried almost all the brands they carry for comparison, it’s amazing how different they are. Again, I’ve found you get what you pay for in the blade category. Japan and Russian made blades work best for me.

Straight razor: I haven’t gone their yet, but am curious.

Good info here.....

Newb question: "can I just use some of my leftover "EDGE shave gel" ?

Dead Man
07-21-2016, 04:27 PM
Good info here.....

Newb question: "can I just use some of my leftover "EDGE shave gel" ?

If you spread a thin layer of baby oil out on the skin first, you can use just about anything that foams or suds.

benb
07-21-2016, 04:29 PM
Because my skin is so prone to irritation and ingrown hairs, I don't shave very often... once a week, at most. My body hair, anyway. Face is entirely different. But because I wait so long between shavings, my hair is really too long to go against the grain. But going with, then again against, the grain takes so much time, even only doing it once a week I still don't have time for that bull****.

If I don't get marked improvement from the Feathers, I think I'm going to start trying women's soap-ringed leg razors. The wife shaves every other day with no irritation, no ingrowns, and it only takes her 10-15 minutes tops. I'm looking at a solid hour minimum, and the bathtub will look like a horror movie by the time I'm done, most times. Such bull****.

Eh.. if you're prone to ingrone hairs you should never be going against the grain. That's what causes it right there.

And if the bathtub looks like a horror show you should probably think about changing to mountain biking.

Dead Man
07-21-2016, 04:45 PM
Eh.. if you're prone to ingrone hairs you should never be going against the grain. That's what causes it right there.

And if the bathtub looks like a horror show you should probably think about changing to mountain biking.

Incorrect.

For some people, going against the grain causes more ingrowns.
For some people, going with the grain causes more ingrowns.

Depends on how thick your skin is, how thick your hair is, how soft your hair is, at what angle your hair tends to exit the plane of the skin, what kind of razor you use, etc, etc, etc.

There's absolutely zero consensus, and no fixall solution.

And **** MTB.

CampyorBust
07-21-2016, 05:00 PM
I resent the anti-mtb hate speach. I mtb and shave my legs.

This thread is killing me, I got poison ivy BAD. I can tell you the only thing I have been thinking about today is being able to shave, it is like a thousand in grown hairs at once. This really sucks.

AJM100
07-21-2016, 05:45 PM
finding the right blades is a trial and error affair as what works for me may not work for others. I tried the Feathers - found the ones I purchased to be too sharp making the 1st shave unbearable. I settled in with Personna double edge ($12 for 100) and they work great for me. If any of you fellows switch to safety razor get a variety pack of razors to start to see which is best for you.

ftf
07-21-2016, 06:21 PM
I just ordered some Feather blades, believing them to be substantially sharper than the Astras I've been using for the last year.. this'll probably be my last go at the safety razor for a while, or ever. I do think, used right, they reduce irritation.. and I seem to have incredibly irritatable skin. I get really bad ingrown hairs.

I also hate chopping off pieces of my skin.. which the Feather blades will probably not improve on... but my hope that by going to a sharper blade, my (apparently?) thick hair will shave off cleaner with less knicking and bouncing.

But when I really really do take my time, go soooo hella slow, am so careful coming around my ankle bones and all around my knee, when I do shave with the grain, change blade, and then ever so lightly go against the grain...... yes, it's definitely the least-irritation and ingrown-prone shave I've experienced.

What razor are you using? I started off with a futur which is really aggressive, too aggressive and it cut me all the time, switched to the feather asd2 which admittedly is very expensive, but haven't cut myself ever with it not once in 6 months of shaving my face daily and my legs when needed. I would try an extremely mild razor, those feather blades are going to cut you up worse than before I bet......

Cicli
07-21-2016, 06:22 PM
EJ razor and Wilkesons for me. The best shave ever. There os a ton of good advice here. Follow it and you will be good. Anyone want about 6-8 packs of Derby blades. They did t work for me. Free to anyone who wants to try them.
I also have a Merkur 34c I would pass on for free. Didnt work for me either. My Jagger is the Best.

ftf
07-21-2016, 06:34 PM
EJ razor and Wilkesons for me. The best shave ever. There os a ton of good advice here. Follow it and you will be good. Anyone want about 6-8 packs of Derby blades. They did t work for me. Free to anyone who wants to try them.
I also have a Merkur 34c I would pass on for free. Didnt work for me either. My Jagger is the Best.

True ej is supposed to be really mild so that's probably why

makoti
07-21-2016, 06:55 PM
Ummmm........yeah, sounds like no brainer. Instead of the straight edge I might have to give this a shot.

Thanks for sharing.

Do it. Wet shaving is great. Well, as great as shaving can be. Get a $30 brush, $25 razor, $10 for blades, some soap of your choice, a bowl out of you cabinet, and you are set for a very long time. I like Omega https://www.amazon.com/Omega-46001-Shaving-Cream-Bowl/dp/B000JY0X4U/ref=sr_1_1_s_it?s=beauty&ie=UTF8&qid=1469145122&sr=1-1&keywords=omega+shaving+soap. Use EJ razors. Got a brush used. (Yes, it's fine.)
If you really want to bone up on this, check out Badger & Blade. http://www.badgerandblade.com/vb/forum.php Kind of like here, but with very sharp things.

makoti
07-21-2016, 06:56 PM

I'll try those, if you don't want them. I'll PM you.

dgauthier
07-22-2016, 09:15 AM

Dead Man
07-25-2016, 11:15 PM
Dood... Shaved with the Feathers for the first time- did my neck and cheek bones (I sport a close, manicured beard) yesterday.. No issues. Did legs/body today..

Best shave ever.

Went against the grain on over a weeks growth, no cuts. F those damn Astra blades I wasted so much blood on.. I'll be sticking with Feather from here out.

Renewed my confidence in the safety razor.

Corso
07-26-2016, 08:11 AM
Good to hear!

DE blades are so cheap, I’ve couldn’t help but try as many brands as I could. I still experiment when I run across a new brand.

inexpensive blades=dull blades=less shaves per blade, also takes more pressure to cut hair=more nicks on skin.

KAI japanese blades are in the same league as Feathers. Surgical Stainless Steel, they have no printing on the blade, plain wrappers but are sharp as hell, and smooth.

azrider
08-01-2016, 12:51 PM

The blade that came with this razor is the thinnest razor I've seen in my life.....

Here goes nothing though.........thanks for the rec

Leoner
08-01-2016, 01:35 PM
Bigger fan of the Dollar Beard Club:
https://youtu.be/bU64GI0Aj3A

OtayBW
08-01-2016, 01:56 PM
The blade that came with this razor is the thinnest razor I've seen in my life.....

Here goes nothing though.........thanks for the rec
Go easy - do two passes (one with, another either across or against the grain) - pay attention to your growth pattern - go easy. And then buy some 'Feather' blades. Next up: the straight!

azrider
08-01-2016, 02:21 PM
Go easy - do two passes (one with, another either across or against the grain) - pay attention to your growth pattern - go easy. And then buy some 'Feather' blades. Next up: the straight!

Newb question..........is there a right and a wrong side to the flimsy blade that came with the safety razor ??

OtayBW
08-01-2016, 04:37 PM
Newb question..........is there a right and a wrong side to the flimsy blade that came with the safety razor ??
Nope, but remember - flimsy is not a bad thing in a razor blade. GL.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

makoti
08-01-2016, 05:10 PM

No, you'll use both sides before you toss it. Use one, flip it, use the other the next time. You can get a few shaves out of it, easy.
And do NOT let "flimsy" fool you. As Bon Qui Qui might say, "It will CUT you!" They are sharp.