PDA

View Full Version : 500 too small?

Dromen
08-15-2014, 09:51 AM
Anyone else have this issue?

My eyes are weakening to the point that i can only read my Garmin 500s with 3 data fields. Meaning i have to keep switching between 2 or 3 screens if i want to keep track of HR, Cad, Power readings, grade, speed, distance, etc. Nuisance and unsafe in some riding situations. I unfortunately need, well want, a unit i can hopefully have 6 readable data fields on one screen.

Whether you like em or not, there are no real options but garmin for an onboard computer. I need basic bike functions with power, speed/cad, HR connectivity. Maps with turn by turn capability may be interesting but most of the time i know the route im riding or am in groups that are route familiar. Maybe when im lost....

So for me and me eyeballs it gets down to the interface between computer and vision.

This means ditching my two 500s for an 800/810 or 1000.

Anyone wanna trade an 810 for two 500s?

PS + of the newer generations models for those with too many bikes(more than 3), the 510/810/1000 can store up to 10 bike profiles. The 500 has 3 which means you need to have the right garmin with the right bike.

AngryScientist
08-15-2014, 10:01 AM
if i want to keep track of HR, Cad, Power readings, grade, speed, distance, etc.

that's a big "if", just a thought, but do you really need to see all that stuff real-time?

firerescuefin
08-15-2014, 10:03 AM
that's a big "if", just a thought, but do you really need to see all that stuff real-time?

Agreed. Even with the 800, I've got the data I want to see under effort (not a lot and I do ride with a PM). I look at the other stuff when I'm off the bike.

Dromen
08-15-2014, 10:05 AM
not all info the entire ride but a long ride with varied terrain, yes at any given time. Even with 3 data fields, its taking a bit of a squint.

firerescuefin
08-15-2014, 10:08 AM
not all info the entire ride but a long ride with varied terrain, yes at any given time. Even with 3 data fields, its taking a bit of a squint.

If we are talking 3 data fields, then I see why you'd want a bigger screen.

FlashUNC
08-15-2014, 10:20 AM
SRMs have big screens...

cp43
08-15-2014, 10:27 AM
The Garmin 1000 has a much bigger screen than even the 800. I think it would be a good idea to get your hands on one to demo before you buy though. I'm not sure that the larger screen will necessarily translate to larger font size.

Chris

malcolm
As I've gotten older I ride sans computer a lot. On the mtn bike especially I'll put it in/on my camel back and look at it when I get home. I also use strava but keep my phone in my camel back and it's mostly just to keep up with miles, rides and elevation change.

ptourkin
I've been hoping for an increased font size to read under serious effort for a long time. When you reduce the data fields on the 810 from for example, 4, to 2, the font size does not increase. I would love to one or two really large fields that fill the screen while doing workouts (solo - don't stress) on the track while targeting HR or power zones. It seems like this is something Garmin should be able to do.

eddief
08-15-2014, 10:30 AM
what's up about that?

ptourkin
08-15-2014, 10:51 AM
what's up about that?

I wear glasses/contacts for distance. I can't remove my contacts or put on reading glasses every time I glance at the Garmin. Yes, I know about the dual vision sunglasses being sold but I also use photochromic lenses for changing conditions in 24 hour plus events.

Sorry, retrogrouchery is not the answer to everything.

Dromen
08-15-2014, 10:59 AM
How big is the SRM screen and does it allow for multiple bites.

FlashUNC
08-15-2014, 11:03 AM
No clue, and no clue.

http://www.srm.de/products/powercontrol/

RedRider
08-15-2014, 11:19 AM
My first thought is you shouldn't be looking at your data that much... most of the features are great for after the ride analysis. Solo training rides look at some numbers. In a paceline = noooooo!
My second thought is you should definitely be using one of the "outfront" mounts rather than a stem mount. They move the computer forward about 5" which makes it easier to glance at...

Dromen
08-15-2014, 11:22 AM
What can I say, real time numbers geek. Al bikes have outfront mounts

ptourkin
08-15-2014, 11:26 AM
My first thought is you shouldn't be looking at your data that much... most of the features are great for after the ride analysis. Solo training rides look at some numbers. In a paceline = noooooo!
My second thought is you should definitely be using one of the "outfront" mounts rather than a stem mount. They move the computer forward about 5" which makes it easier to glance at...

I agree and that's kind of my point. I'd like to take a quick quick glance and see if I am in my target zone while training solo. Never in a paceline or with others in a pack. The way around it that I've found is to set the audible alarm to beep when I'm below the target, but that doesn't address the OP's issue.

teleguy57
08-15-2014, 11:38 AM
Someone somewhere posted about bifocal-style diopter stick on lenses that worked in sports sunglasses that helped a lot with reading bike computer screens. I don't have time to search for it now, but they seemed pretty happy with the results, and they were pretty cheap. May be worth checking it out.

oldpotatoe
08-15-2014, 11:41 AM

Dual eyewear, it's a brand(actually owned by a friend of mine)...cycling glasses with a wee square of reading glass at the bottom center of the lens. Diopter a from 1 to 3(I think)...

soulspinner
08-15-2014, 12:27 PM

Been riding without one. Liberating.

tiretrax
08-15-2014, 04:20 PM

Same here. Just use my watch. I can estimate my cadence from years of riding.

There are also stick on reader lenses if you want to keep your same pair of glasses.

DfCas
08-15-2014, 04:24 PM
I have poor eyesight and the 500 had the worst disply/readability of all the Garmins I've tried. The 510 is markedly better, and a larger screen helps. I use a Touring Plus now and I can see it quite well, but I don't use power/cadence/hr.

Dromen
08-15-2014, 06:40 PM
I have poor eyesight and the 500 had the worst disply/readability of all the Garmins I've tried. The 510 is markedly better, and a larger screen helps. I use a Touring Plus now and I can see it quite well, but I don't use power/cadence/hr.
Thanks DfCas. Isn't the touring plus some size and screen as 800/810?

R3awak3n
08-15-2014, 06:51 PM
Thanks DfCas. Isn't the touring plus some size and screen as 800/810?

yep.

The 1000 has a bigger screem.

downtube
08-15-2014, 11:00 PM
i wear sunglass's with transitional lenses. I have a garmin 500 and set my screen to 5 data fields. No problem seeing. By the way the sunglasses are from about 5 years ago and still seem to get the job done, even though my eyes have really gotten much worse.

shovelhd
08-16-2014, 06:08 AM
I have an 800 set up with four screens. One has three fields and is used only for FTP testing. The other three are variants of each other and have ten fields each. If I were to see them perfectly while riding I would need a 2.0 diopter lens, but I can see them just fine without it. I cannot read the field descriptor but I don't need to I know that the bottom right is 3s power. The 1000 is huge. I will never want anything much bigger than an 800.

BTW I read my numbers all the time while training and racing. If you are afraid to look down while in the field you need to work on that skill.

marciero
08-16-2014, 07:22 AM
I also ditched the Garmin. I had a 510 Edge for a year, and I liked it a lot, but now I ride with no electronics.

thirdgenbird
08-16-2014, 07:33 AM
I probably wouldn't have bought a 500 if it was any bigger.

Lewis Moon
08-16-2014, 09:41 AM
what's up about that?

Yep...glasses. I wear a set of Oakley Yarddog no line bifocals with transitions lenses.

biker72
08-16-2014, 10:24 AM
Yep...glasses. I wear a set of Oakley Yarddog no line bifocals with transitions lenses.

My bifocals are more Freddish...just regular tinted glasses with bifocals. I use a Garmin Touring with 6 data fields.

So many of the people I used to ride with really needed glasses but opted for the high dollar "cool" glasses with no correction.

Dromen
08-18-2014, 11:20 AM
Thanks all. Think ive gotten all info i need. Bigger screen, 10 data field, better visibility, 10 bike profiles, can't live with out my numbers on most rides(definitely have a couple bike without computer mounts), get lost all time using cue sheets, 1000 is so big it needs specific out font mounts(not buying new mounts too), etc......

810 it is. I will be posting two perfectly working 500 head units FS in classifieds when i get the 810 up and humming.

Thanks again. As usual, valuable input.