PDA

View Full Version : USA Pro Challenge dark horse

victoryfactory
08-15-2014, 06:22 AM
Bold Prediction:
Frank Schleck

Possibility 1: I'm right and proclaimed as the master prognosticator
Possibility 2: I'm wrong and slink back into oblivion as this thread recedes into history, never to be mentioned again.

He had good form in the tour (12th)

VF

kramnnim
08-15-2014, 06:50 AM
Who?

:hello:

45K10
08-15-2014, 08:33 AM
I would agree with that, & another dark horse maybe Rogers as well.

firerescuefin
08-15-2014, 08:42 AM
The USPRO championship feels like a mix of a post tour Crit (where the big Tour guys ride around in circles and wave at the crowd while meeting sponsor obligations) .....and a second tier race. Between the uninspiring routes, and it's place on the calendar, I am disappointed at what it has become. I thought with the history of races like the Red Zinger/Coors Classic that they could do something special there.

That we're talking about Frank (who has had no real form for 3-4 years) possible winning it illustrates that IMO.

VF...I don't think it's a bad pick, it just struck a chord with me. Being a Colorado resident at the time and a big fan of riding in the state, I had big hopes for the race.

emckee1
08-15-2014, 09:19 AM
As someone familiar with road cycling in CO, can you expand on your statement of "uninspiring routes"? Also, what are examples of routes you would prefer? Just trying to understand.

firerescuefin
08-15-2014, 09:24 AM
I'll start by asking this question before I defend my position. If you've ridden and know Colorado (assuming you've followed the race)....do you think the routes have been good?...adding that more than one year the Vail TT was set up at a point in the race that it basically nullified GC for the rest of the race. I liked the finishing TT in downtown Denver a few years back, but even that was short and haphazard.

firerescuefin
08-15-2014, 09:29 AM
As someone familiar with road cycling in CO, can you expand on your statement of "uninspiring routes"? Also, what are examples of routes you would prefer? Just trying to understand.

Short of going over Independence pass...I see big start town to big start town a few climbs (many marginal) in the middle, big straight highways/roads, very little chance for a GC guy to put his stamp on the stage....big group finish.

I've had more than one friend watch the race and tell me "I thought the riding was better out there" based on what they saw.

Yes, the organizers have to make money and their goals aren't mine, but if you're trying to building something that is inspiring and maybe even sets the stage/raises the bar for something bigger and better, they should be closer to mine (and many other enthusiasts) IMO.

emckee1
08-15-2014, 10:04 AM
I've ridden some in CO, but wanted to get a more experienced opinion. Stage 2 between Aspen and Crested Butte looks interesting because it includes some unpaved sections on Kebler Pass. Stage 3 looks very uninspired, simply riding Hwy 50 between Gunnison and Salida. I would agree that CO has much more interesting routes/terrain that could be utilized.

chengher87
08-15-2014, 10:36 AM
My complaints with the routes are:

1. Not much variety. It's one big climb, then completely flat, than another climb....maybe. They need to throw in hillier terrain. Or flat for 50kms, than a big climb and then flat another 40km to the finish. Or two huge climbs separated by extremely long descents making it easy to bring back any breakaways. Throw in some hills to make it more difficult to recover. Too many stages are finishing in mass sprints.

2. Terrible locations of the big (in terms of entertainment) climbs. Why was Independent Pass the first climb on last years stage 3?. I don't know why they are so hesitant to put in a big climb for an uphill finish.

TimAZ
08-16-2014, 09:58 PM
Tour Of Utah is a way cooler and harder race.

pbarry
08-16-2014, 10:05 PM
Tour Of Utah is a way cooler and harder race.

+1, big time.

firerescuefin
08-16-2014, 10:05 PM
+1, big time.

Based on what I watched last week....agreed

tiretrax
08-16-2014, 10:28 PM
I agree that the US Pro Cycling Tour could use some more inspired routes. But, IMHO, the name illustrates the problem - it's a tour of Colorado, not the U.S.

oldpotatoe
08-17-2014, 08:00 AM
Bold Prediction:
Frank Schleck

Possibility 1: I'm right and proclaimed as the master prognosticator
Possibility 2: I'm wrong and slink back into oblivion as this thread recedes into history, never to be mentioned again.

He had good form in the tour (12th)

VF

Maybe if his sister is there to hold his hand..

oldpotatoe
08-17-2014, 08:05 AM
Short of going over Independence pass...I see big start town to big start town a few climbs (many marginal) in the middle, big straight highways/roads, very little chance for a GC guy to put his stamp on the stage....big group finish.

I've had more than one friend watch the race and tell me "I thought the riding was better out there" based on what they saw.

Yes, the organizers have to make money and their goals aren't mine, but if you're trying to building something that is inspiring and maybe even sets the stage/raises the bar for something bigger and better, they should be closer to mine (and many other enthusiasts) IMO.

Talked to Ron Keifel at Interbike a few years ago..he's part of Tour of Colorado..wanted to merge with Tour of Utah..make it longer, more diverse..wonder what happened to that.

2 years ago..part of race in Boulder, with a 'village' out the front door of the shop, big crowds, great fun, long day(sold about 200 PBR/Vecchio's hats for $10)...but wonder if it does have legs to be really big..and long lasting.

witcombusa
08-17-2014, 08:38 AM
They could learn much from their history of bike racing in CO. The Red Zinger as well as the first couple years as the Coors Classic had a great mix of routes.
Prologue up Flagstaff, Tour of the Moon, MB, Independence Pass. Combine that with up close and personal crit stages in 2-3 cities with interesting terrain and you've got yourself a bike race! Personally I'd like it to even go further than that. A 5 or 7 Pass frontrange mega stage. Maybe the ultimate killer, From Boulder up to Peak to Peak, through Blackhawk then over Guanella Pass down to Grant, over and up Boreas Pass To Breck. How 'bout a hillclimb TT up Mt. Evans road out of the Echo Lake Lodge?

The real potential is unlimited BUT it is all about the money. Cities bid to have the race come through their town. This will be the demise. That and the always present $$$ of expanding out of the state which is what killed the Coors.

It could be the greatest stage race in the world (screw France) but it won't.
Turns out it's not about the racing but about the money generated. It's a shame really.

tiretrax
08-17-2014, 08:46 AM
It could be the greatest stage race in the world (screw France) but it won't.
Turns out it's not about the racing but about the money generated. It's a shame really.

That's the problem with and ultimate demise of stage races, especially when regional. I can imagine some great routes for a 3 week stage race in the US, but that would be a planning nightmare, and especially difficult to get the local buy in.

RobJ
08-17-2014, 10:41 AM
It does come down to money and sponsorship. Look at the Tour of Georgia and even the ill-fated Tour DuPont/Trump. I think with proper planning and buy in you can get the roads closed. If it's marketed right it could be very beneficial to local merchants. Look at what RAGBRAI generates for each of those smaller towns (different model than a stage race but not dissimilar). Some of its culture though too. Europe supports cycling, towns revel to have a race in their municipality and businesses shut down allowing employees a chance to watch. I don't think most US businesses would support it that way and understand employees leaving for a chunk of hours. Maybe in Colorado where the culture is more supportive. Combining UT and CO would be phenomenal.

As for a pick, the Schleck's downturn in performance was remarkably timed with increased drug testing.... I'm just sayin'...

Here's the guy I'd like to see snag the overall
http://http://www.trekfactoryracing.com/calendar-results/jens-voigt-farewell-tour-usa-pro-challenge (http://www.trekfactoryracing.com/calendar-results/jens-voigt-farewell-tour-usa-pro-challenge)