PDA

View Full Version : stripped rivnut in Denver

ajz07
08-14-2014, 06:34 PM
The title pretty much says it all. I went to do some puttering/ refinishing of my Merlin and took all the bottle cage bolts/ screws out. Well all except for one which just spins. There is play in the bolt and I can pull it out some, but it won't catch and spin out itself. The rivnut (I think that is what they used in these frames) itself does not appear to be spinning, just the bolt/ screw. I am assuming it has sort of seized, and as such am going to put some WD-40 in there and see if I can loosen it up and get it out. However... if I can't loosen it up, anyone have any idea what place to go to in the Denver area or outside the Denver area (I am willing to travel somewhat if necessary) who could fix such a thing? Ultimately I am likely to need the rivnut repaired/ replaced regardless so will likely need a shop to go to even if I can get it out.

help as always is appreciated.

Rudy
08-14-2014, 08:45 PM
Schwab Cycles in Lakewood.

JAGI410
08-14-2014, 08:56 PM
Can you pry the screw out gently with a flat blade screwdriver while turning the screw?

ajz07
08-14-2014, 09:04 PM
Tried prying it up with a screwdriver and turning with an Allen wrench, no dice. Hoping the wd-40 does the trick (of course I am out when I actually need it), will have to wait for tomorrow to get some. But I am unfortunately not too hopeful.

oldpotatoe
08-15-2014, 06:19 AM
The title pretty much says it all. I went to do some puttering/ refinishing of my Merlin and took all the bottle cage bolts/ screws out. Well all except for one which just spins. There is play in the bolt and I can pull it out some, but it won't catch and spin out itself. The rivnut (I think that is what they used in these frames) itself does not appear to be spinning, just the bolt/ screw. I am assuming it has sort of seized, and as such am going to put some WD-40 in there and see if I can loosen it up and get it out. However... if I can't loosen it up, anyone have any idea what place to go to in the Denver area or outside the Denver area (I am willing to travel somewhat if necessary) who could fix such a thing? Ultimately I am likely to need the rivnut repaired/ replaced regardless so will likely need a shop to go to even if I can get it out.

help as always is appreciated.

Schwab or see Jim in Vecchio's in Boulder..ya want to go to the republic anyway, admit it..

ajz07
08-15-2014, 09:00 AM
Schwab or see Jim in Vecchio's in Boulder..ya want to go to the republic anyway, admit it..

I do sort of want to go out to boulder....stop giving me reasons!