PDA

View Full Version : !@#$% idiots making these types of decisions/ policies

Veloo
08-14-2014, 04:46 PM
Toronto bike friendly? Not the a-holes at Brookfield.

ost a bike outside the Hudson's Bay Centre on Bloor? You might want to give the building's security team a call. It appears the building's owners, Brookfield Properties, are removing bicycles locked on the sidewalk without permission. No warning notice, no note of explanation.

The matter came to light last night when Lisa Ferguson, a public policy consultant who had locked her bike to a TTC subway sign outside the building, returned to find it missing.

"I walked up and down the sidewalk for several minutes," she wrote in a Facebook post before asking someone from the building's security team if they might have caught the incident on CCTV.

Ferguson says Hudson's Bay Centre security, which is provided through a company called RSSI Security, told her they had cut through her heavy-duty Kryptonite lock and placed her bicycle in storage.

She was told security is regularly directed by Brookfield management to remove bicycles locked to signposts or trees outside the building.

http://www.blogto.com/city/2014/08/hudsons_bay_centre_confiscating_legally_parked_bik es/

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2014/08/14/lisa-ferguson-brookfield-bike-thief_n_5678408.html

Grant McLean
08-14-2014, 05:05 PM
That comes off as kinda ranty, which doesn't really help.

As ridiculous as this situation is for private security to be cutting locks,
it's not legal to lock you bike to anything you feel like it because it
happens to be convenient. There is a legitimate parking issue here.

The issue is that in the Bloor/Yonge/Yorkville neighbourhood, the BIA
did it's own street furniture program, and doesn't use the standard bike
parking, and there are no standards for how much parking should be
provided. (here's a tip, there isn't anywhere near enough legal bike parking
in the area) The local councilor should get some alternatives going, which
would go a long way to fixing the actual problem, which is a shortage
of parking on city owned public space.

-g

Veloo
08-16-2014, 04:52 PM
http://news.nationalpost.com/2014/08/16/toronto-property-company-stops-cutting-locks-and-seizing-bikes-after-cyclist-complains/

The property company that came under fire for cutting locks off Toronto cyclists’ bikes has put the brakes on its policy...

sworcester
08-16-2014, 08:03 PM
I saw this on FB yesterday and I wonder if this would happen in the US.

It good though that now this has been brought to light, they are changing a stupid policy. I can tell you that if I had an account with a financial organization that did this, I would move my money. (I was thinking it was a financial building)

pbarry
08-16-2014, 08:13 PM
The building and adjacent right-of-way areas should be clearly marked; that bikes are/were not welcome to lock up within the perimeter.

Anarchist
08-16-2014, 08:14 PM
I saw this on FB yesterday and I wonder if this would happen in the US.

It good though that now this has been brought to light, they are changing a stupid policy. I can tell you that if I had an account with a financial organization that did this, I would move my money. (I was thinking it was a financial building)

Here's a thought. The US ain't the bastion of all that is right and wonderful in the world, and lots of people in the US have been known to be as dumb as a bag of hammers.

Grant McLean
08-16-2014, 08:20 PM
I can tell you that if I had an account with a financial organization that did this, I would move my money. (I was thinking it was a financial building)

The security company works for the property manager (building owners)
so it really doesn't have anything to do with the people leasing the space.

http://brookfieldofficeproperties.com/

-g

josephr
08-16-2014, 08:23 PM
Here's a thought. The US ain't the bastion of all that is right and wonderful in the world, and lots of people in the US have been known to be as dumb as a bag of hammers.

...that keep electing flathead politicians and calling it guv'ment.