PDA

View Full Version : Lesson learned

ceolwulf
08-13-2014, 07:52 PM
Lezyne threaded pump nozzle and removable valve core tubes are not even a tiny bit compatible. Unscrews the core every. Single. Time.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/08/14/qu6e3era.jpg

Cicli
08-13-2014, 07:53 PM
Lezyne threaded pump nozzle and removable valve core tubes are not even a tiny bit compatible. Unscrews the core every. Single. Time. ]

Yeah, I threw my Lezyne floor pump in the trash. What a piece of crap.
Even beyond the unscrewing of valve cores.

moose8
08-13-2014, 07:56 PM
I've got one with tubulars and it works fine for me as long as I have the valve cores tightened. Tubulars are schwalbe.

hockeybike
08-13-2014, 07:56 PM
Huh? You just have to tighten the valve core before you put it in your saddle bag. Great pumps, otherwise.

weaponsgrade
08-13-2014, 07:58 PM
I had a similar problem. Lezyne sell a slip-style hose that I bought.

Louis
08-13-2014, 07:59 PM
I think it was all that riding on gravel - the vibration caused the valve core to wear out the seat, so it couldn't tighten... ;)

I need to check this on my Lezyne mini-pump. I think the hose has two modes, one friction, one screw-on, but I'm not 100% sure.

pdmtong
08-13-2014, 07:59 PM
Huh? You just have to tighten the valve core before you put it in your saddle bag. Great pumps, otherwise.

this^

needle nose pliers. tighten core.

lezyne = no issue

mtb_frk
08-13-2014, 08:00 PM
I went through two floor pumps. The first one the threaded plastic that chuck thing screws into cracked. The second one the gauge needle will not measure pressure any more. I picked up a specialized pump and have been happy with it so far.

rnhood
08-13-2014, 08:00 PM
I never understood what people saw in them except maybe that they are stylish. I will only use a quick connect type pump at home, and CO2 on the road. If riding by myself in remote areas, I will also carry a small Topeak pump(quick connect).

PaMtbRider
08-13-2014, 08:04 PM
Newer Lezyne mini pumps come with a hose that has a black button on it. After pumping up the tire press the black button. This releases pressure in the hose and lets you unscrew it from the tube without unscrewing the valve core. They sell them as replacement hoses for older pumps. Since upgrading to the new style hose I haven't had any issues with valve cores coming out.

djg21
08-13-2014, 08:09 PM
I bought a Topeak Joe Blow super-fancy floor pump to replace my trusty, but no longer functional 30-year old Silca SuperPista. The Topeak wouldn't work with unthreaded valves on the Conti and Vittoria tubes I use. I contacted Topeak, and its tech support staff sent me an e-mail stating that "the pump is not designed to be used with threadless valves and they'd recommend not using the pump with unthreaded valves." Thanks masters of the obvious!

i bought the thing from Performance and back it will go this weekend. Another Silca is in my future.

Louis
08-13-2014, 08:14 PM
I bought a Topeak Joe Blow super-fancy floor pump to replace my trusty, but no longer functional 30-year old Silca SuperPista. The Topeak wouldn't work with unthreaded valves on the Conti and Vittoria tubes I use.

I have an older Joe Blow floor pump which I love and it works great with any sort of valve, threaded or not.

The chuck looks like this:

http://thumbs2.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/mqHv1m7E-AeYqgUHk16wYaQ.jpg

ceolwulf
08-13-2014, 08:29 PM

I don't doubt it. This was a brand new tube though. I do like the pump quite a lot, just to be clear. Just learned something, is all :)

Louis
08-13-2014, 08:32 PM
Newer Lezyne mini pumps come with a hose that has a black button on it. After pumping up the tire press the black button. This releases pressure in the hose and lets you unscrew it from the tube without unscrewing the valve core. They sell them as replacement hoses for older pumps. Since upgrading to the new style hose I haven't had any issues with valve cores coming out.

If you have an older model hose couldn't you also just unscrew the hose at the pump first? That ought to relieve the pressure too.

(my Lezyne mini-pump hose threads into both the end of the pump and onto the valve body)

djg21
08-13-2014, 08:53 PM
I have an older Joe Blow floor pump which I love and it works great with any sort of valve, threaded or not.

The one i got is the X.O., which has the ironically named "Smarthead Threadlock Extendable Hosehead."

The thing does work nicely with the threaded stems on my tubeless MTB wheels, but is worthless on any of my other bikes or wheelsets.

Hank Scorpio
08-13-2014, 09:28 PM
I cut off the original Lezyne head off my floor pump and replaced it with a hirame. I have had two gauges stop reading. Maybe it is time for a new pump and to trash this pig.

brando
08-14-2014, 12:33 AM
I cut off the original Lezyne head off my floor pump and replaced it with a hirame. I have had two gauges stop reading. Maybe it is time for a new pump and to trash this pig.

I did the same, took one minute and has been great ever since.

Ozrider
08-14-2014, 06:58 AM
Been using Lezyne pumps for about 5 years, I just make sure valve cores are tight and have had no problems

Aaron O
08-14-2014, 07:20 AM
My Lezyne went back to REI the next day. I've had nothing but happiness with my specialized pump.

Thank you for postng this thread...everyone, I mean everyone recommended that polished turd. My experiences were the same as others here - it unthreaded the valve core every freaking time. Tightening valves made no difference and when their customer support told me to locktite my valve cores, I had enough.

djg21
08-14-2014, 10:30 PM

I just sent the XO back to Performance for a refund. I've never used the satisfaction guarantee before, and I felt kind of scummy given that the pump has been in my basement for a handful of months (but has been used only rarely to pump my MTB tires with threaded valve stems). But, I was really annoyed that nothing on the Performance or Topeak websites that I could find indicated that the pump head would not work with unthreaded valves. M,Had this information been conspicuously posted, i would not have purchased the pump in the first place.

I ended up ordering a Topeak Ace pump (with a pump head similar to the one pictured), based on the strength of the reviews it has gotten. Topeak will still get my money, but Performance is SOL because they dont stock the Ace.

Louis
08-14-2014, 10:38 PM
I ended up ordering a Topeak Ace pump (with a pump head similar to the one pictured), based on the strength of the reviews it has gotten.

If yours works as well as mine has over the years you'll be fine. I've used both sides of the chuck quite a bit (the Schraeder mostly on my car tires, but also on my MTB, which I don't ride terribly often) and haven't had any issues at all.