PDA

View Full Version : Cross Races in Connecticut

johngmartin
08-13-2014, 04:41 PM
I am moving to CT (New Haven) in the fall, and want to try a CX race or two. Any suggestions for fun small/local CX races that will be accessible for a beginner?

Bruce K
08-13-2014, 04:44 PM
Not everything is up on BikeReg but there is a ton of stuff in western New England, New York, and southern Vermont.

Something somewhere almost every weekend

BK

christian
08-13-2014, 05:22 PM
Cheshire. Maybe the funnest cx course in all of everywhere.

shovelhd
08-13-2014, 06:04 PM
There are quite a few smaller cross races in CT and MA. In general if you want lower key avoid the UCI races.

Cat3roadracer
08-13-2014, 06:26 PM
Soon to be posted on Bikereg.com - check out the NYCROSS series. Bethlehem and Troy are my favorites. Looking forward to it.

Peter P.
08-13-2014, 06:35 PM
Cheshire CT has already been mentioned and it's within 30 minutes of New Haven.

There's another 'cross race held in Farmington CT maybe another 30 minutes north.

I don't think it matters that you're a beginner; 'cross races seem to accommodate riders of all levels.

christian
08-13-2014, 07:08 PM
There's a good one in Mansfield, CT, too.

chriscap
08-14-2014, 12:20 AM
There was a cross race in Newtown last December - hopefully they'll put it on again this year.

Welcome to CT - lots of great riding in our state.

old fat man
08-14-2014, 09:16 AM
Cheshire (my hometown) is a fantastic low key race. More mountain bike oriented than some, but still very fun.

Mansfield Hollow is a similarly very positive vibe and great course.

There are a few in Hartford area - Silk City, a new one on the Connecticut River, and one later in East Hartford I think.

Here's a link to a preliminary New England schedule: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3R8MX-63zbbZUpKTTFhVDRkYm84c1ZBd19KdHg0VTlFNU5V/edit?usp=sharing

carpediemracing
08-14-2014, 09:33 AM
I race with Expo Wheelmen (http://www.expowheelmen.com). I have never done cross, probably never will, but Expo has a very strong core of cross riders, all levels. They run a real race and a training series.

Sept 21 Silk City Cross in Manchester, CT.

Rocky Hill Cross Training Series:
9/3, 9/10, 9/17, 9/24.
If you help set up the course here (https://www.volunteersignup.org/BFEKH) you get comped your race, otherwise it's just helping out.

Cheshire Cycles, actually in Hamden, would be a good source. Amity Bikes, in Woodbridge, is another local racing-involved shop.

All cross races are, based on what I've seen, "accessible to a beginner". It's just that some are larger events. They pretty much all have an entry level race though, and cross seems to be a much more supportive environment than, say, crit or road racing.

johngmartin
08-14-2014, 01:49 PM
Thanks guys!

carpediemracing
08-14-2014, 03:23 PM
Oh man the guys at Devil's Gear would crucify me for leaving them out. They're in New Haven proper, super involved in racing. So go see them also.

All three shops know me as the promoter of the Bethel Spring Series, aka Carpe Diem Racing.