PDA

View Full Version : IF: Crown Jewel or Club Racer

buckfifty
08-13-2014, 04:28 PM
I've been looking around for possible custom frame builders and IF might be the one I want to go with. I've narrowed my frame between the Crown Jewel and the Club Racer, both steel. I don't plan on doing any touring, but long rides and centuries. Mostly road rides, nothing off road. What do you guys suggest? Thanks

phcollard
08-13-2014, 04:30 PM
Do you ride in the rain and need fenders? From my understanding a Club Racer is a Crown Jewel with better clearance and fender eyelets...

buckfifty
08-13-2014, 04:34 PM
Do you ride in the rain and need fenders? From my understanding a Club Racer is a Crown Jewel with better clearance and fender eyelets...

No rain. You know, I initially thought that they were somewhat similar except for the clearance for fenders and such

buddybikes
08-13-2014, 04:41 PM
If you are getting a custom, don't worry about names, give them your requirements and see what they (or other builder) recommends.

Admiral Ackbar
08-13-2014, 05:52 PM
sounds like you're pretty set on IF, so if i were you id give someone at IF a shout and talk to them. imo "long rides a centuries. mostly road rides, nothing off road" isn't nearly enough info to give a recommendation. the people at IF are VERY nice and I'm sure if you speak to them they can help you sort things out.

bargainguy
08-13-2014, 06:16 PM
If memory serves, same HT / ST angles on both....but Club Racer has longer chainstays to accommodate fenders and different overall stay design to accommodate panniers. Otherwise I think they're functionally equal.

buckfifty
08-13-2014, 06:22 PM
Thanks for the tips guys. I emailed IF and asked them which I should go with

Peter P.
08-13-2014, 07:13 PM
phcollard explains the difference between the two models well.

The Crown Jewel is a true road frame with a steeper head angle and shorter chainstays. It is a true road racing frame but I would heartily suggest the Crown Jewel for centuries and long rides; there's no need to fear it being too much of a racing bike in the handling department for your needs.

I would go with the Crown Jewel if you want to "feel" as if you're riding something racers would ride. However, I believe IF can tailor the handling of the Crown Jewel if you would like a racing style bike with tamer steering such as on the Club Racer.

In your case, I'd suggest the Club Racer is if you planned on fitting larger tires such as 28mm and above. The Club Racer is built around longer reach brakes.

IF is a great company that offers well constructed, beautifully finished frames. Post photos once it arrives!

bikinchris
08-13-2014, 07:36 PM
I sell IF.
The Club Racer is intended for people who want to add fenders and do light touring, but still want a lively bike. It has long reach brakes for fender clearance and the ability to accommodate both fenders and racks on the frame and fork.

The Crown Jewel is for riders who want a custom bike to tune the handling and ride for the kind of performance they need. Everything from a slower handling, confidence enhancing, smooth ride to a full on crit bike can come out of a Crown Jewel.

palincss
08-13-2014, 09:17 PM
So maybe the question to ask is, what could you possibly lose by having the capability to use 28 mm tires and to add fenders.

christian
08-13-2014, 10:39 PM
So maybe the question to ask is, what could you possibly lose by having the capability to use 28 mm tires and to add fenders.This is a great question. But I think it's useful to recognize that often - more stout tubing and a "light touring" mentality can go with fender-bikes, and that's not always ideal.

I had a Rivendell Rambouillet fender-bike which I liked, but which frankly, felt a little overbuilt and stiff to me. My Hampsten Strada Bianca, on the other hand, is build with light-gauge Columbus Minimax and just *SINGS*. Now admittedly, I like a slower-steering bike (Merckx, Colnago), but I could be perfectly happy with that as my only bike. It's like a steel race bike that just happens to fit fenders.

I think that's the key - you have to know what you want - you can get the club racer and have opportunity for 33-35mm tires or fenders, but I think you'd want to specify that you want it built like a road bike (Crown Jewel) not like a light touring bike. In other words, Columbus Life/Spirit for Lugs/Minimax in .7-.45-.7 or stuff like that.

Or if you never ride in the rain, a Crown Jewel.

BobbyJones
08-13-2014, 11:50 PM
Echoing some other comments- i've seen more than one IF that was labeled a particular model and had some trappings of another.

Maybe I'm remembering it wrong, but I recall they were a little more flexible in building YOUR bike opposed to building THEIR bike that fit you. (if that makes sense)