PDA

View Full Version : Trico Iron Case

keno
03-03-2006, 01:50 PM
Does anyone have experience with the Trico Iron Case bike travel case, good, bad or otherwise?

Thanks,

keno

loctite
03-03-2006, 02:28 PM
I have one, works great, i like it better than the Serfas, let me know if you need one I can give you a deal.

SPOKE
03-03-2006, 02:29 PM
solid product. takes a beating. just shipped my Legent Ti off to Solvang last week via FedX.
the difficulty is carefully packing. the wheels are the most vunerable (sp) even though they are well protected. mostly just get out of true due to the side pressure they are subjected to.

BumbleBeeDave
03-03-2006, 02:29 PM
.. . and it works great. You just have to be sure to pack everything exactly right. If anything is touching the outside walls while travelling, it's more prone to damage. That also makes it more risky to go through security these days--you never knowq if they're going to open it, and if they do open it, you never know if they're going to get it back together right.

BBD

alancw3
03-03-2006, 03:33 PM
i tried to use one but i have large size bikes i.e. 63-64cm and they would not fit in the box to my satisfaction. rear derailleur had to come off and then the bike could just barely be forced in. that being said i saw in the serotta classifies for 3/01/06 a tri all 3 travel box for sale that looked interesting. check it out. http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=15302

keno
03-03-2006, 03:50 PM
you're joking, right?

keno

Serotta PETE
03-03-2006, 04:03 PM
you're joking, right?

keno

My system is in a "LOOP" and looks like KENO KENO KENO>....WINE TIME I GUESS!!!!

Kahuna
03-03-2006, 04:43 PM
Keno,

4 trips to Europe and some races on the Big island with an iron case and so far no complaints. I don't own my own. Each time I borrowed my friend's case.

Things do seem tight once you lay the wheels inside (with spokes overlapping) and cinch the case shut, but I've yet to see anything get damaged.

Besides being relatively gorilla-worthy, you can pack a lot of extra stuff inside besides the bike.

-K

Does anyone have experience with the Trico Iron Case bike travel case, good, bad or otherwise?

Thanks,

keno

CalfeeFly
03-03-2006, 05:50 PM
Things do seem tight once you lay the wheels inside (with spokes overlapping) and cinch the case shut, but I've yet to see anything get damaged.-K

I have a Trico unfortunately since my car accident the odds of my ever getting much use out of it are slim.

Kahuna...I think the tight fit is partially responsible for how well things travel in it. The plastic is hard and nothing inside shifts or moves. The lack of movement helps I think...or at least I tell myself that as I'm trying to get it all in and together. :p

Louis
03-03-2006, 07:12 PM
Keno,

I used one to FedEx my DeRosa to the GdB last year. In general I was happy with the product.

There was however, one mishap: On the way up they managed to drop it (very hard, I assume) such that when it hit the whole bike shifted down and the big chainring bit into the case (you can see the tooth marks) and bent.

The bend was not enough to cause the chain to rub the Fder cage (friction shifters are great...), but if you look down while pedaling it looks really funny. Also, last I checked Campy is not giving big chainrings away. I decided that it was not worth the hassle to fight FedEx.

My suggestions to you:

1) Make sure you put something soft yet tough (folded up towel or newspapers?) between the chainrings and the case.

2) Make sure things don't slide around too easily when you pack it up.

Louis

keno
03-03-2006, 07:48 PM
send me a PM.

keno

Sandy
03-03-2006, 08:01 PM
I have a beautiful and very sturdy bike case. It is quite expensive. Send me your Ottrott and I will see if it fits perfectly. If it does, I will send you the case free of charge, since you are a forum member. ;)

Slick Serotta Sandy

keno
03-04-2006, 02:59 AM
please send me pictures of your case; case fully closed, top, side and end views, and inside shots of the case. Also, does the case have any defects of any kind, as I know that you do? Also, please send urine, feces and semen samples, or, in the alternative, a pair of your undershorts, and throw in a soil sample, while you are at it. Also, has the case ever been used for dog, cat or other housing for one or more animals? Has Kevan ever slept in the case? I look forward to your deafening silence.

keno

Climb01742
03-04-2006, 05:53 AM
do most folks feel the trico is the best case? any other suggestions? when we do the marriage-thing in italy this spring, want to take a bike. is trico the way to go?

Ray
03-04-2006, 06:05 AM
do most folks feel the trico is the best case? any other suggestions? when we do the marriage-thing in italy this spring, want to take a bike. is trico the way to go?
I've rarely heard anything bad about Trico, so you probably can't go wrong. But I'll reiterate a suggestion from a previous thread for the Crateworks boxes. They're a good bit less expensive and don't use foam to cushion the frame. Instead, they secure the frame really well inside the case (with a series of velcro straps) and use the space between the frame and the edges of the case to prevent damage. It's really easy to pack too. I've had VERY good luck with mine shipping it, flying with it, etc. I prefer shipping it ahead, though, because you have to buy a separate wheel "caddy" if you want to roll it around the airport.

-Ray

chrisroph
03-04-2006, 09:04 AM
Tricos are good. They work well. I found one used. My bikes have survived the airlines. And, my friends who travel more than me have been extremely happy too.