PDA

View Full Version : Need Help: Older Campagnolo 10s Shifter Identification

BSUdude
08-13-2014, 07:57 AM
I need to tap into the Paceline body of knowledge of Campagnolo shifters/wrenching.

I need to recable a couple bikes with older Campy 10s shifters that are labeled differently. Both are record level w/ carbon brake blades.

On the first set the right lever is labeled 10 Speed, left lever is labeled QS Ultra.

On the second set the right lever is labeled 10 Ultra, left lever is labeled Ultra.

My issue is that in looking at different cable kits online, it seems like a lot of them says "for XXX years/models only."

For example--should I be using something like this?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251557433501?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Or will something like this work?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ERGOPOWER-CABLE-SET-Campagnolo-For-Ultra-Shift-Levers-10-11-Speed-NEW-/400753210514?pt=Cycling_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5d4ec0b492

Or could I just any old cable kit like a Jagwire Road Pro?

I realize this is probably a stupid question, but I don't want to order something and figure out it is somehow incompatible with my shifters.

Thanks for the help.

thirdgenbird
08-13-2014, 08:09 AM
The first one should be exactly what those shifters came with. Great kits. Jagwire is nice, but I prefer the campy stuff.

oldpotatoe
08-13-2014, 08:20 AM
I need to tap into the Paceline body of knowledge of Campagnolo shifters/wrenching.

I need to recable a couple bikes with older Campy 10s shifters that are labeled differently. Both are record level w/ carbon brake blades.

On the first set the right lever is labeled 10 Speed, left lever is labeled QS Ultra.

On the second set the right lever is labeled 10 Ultra, left lever is labeled Ultra.

My issue is that in looking at different cable kits online, it seems like a lot of them says "for XXX years/models only."

For example--should I be using something like this?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251557433501?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Or will something like this work?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ERGOPOWER-CABLE-SET-Campagnolo-For-Ultra-Shift-Levers-10-11-Speed-NEW-/400753210514?pt=Cycling_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5d4ec0b492

Or could I just any old cable kit like a Jagwire Road Pro?

I realize this is probably a stupid question, but I don't want to order something and figure out it is somehow incompatible with my shifters.

Thanks for the help.

No stupid questions, just stupid answers sometimes.

First one is fine as are Jagwire sets but I recommend 5mm der housing and metal(brass is best) ferrules. Campag specifin cables. Plus NO ferrules in the lever for brake housing, yes for der housing.

QS means little with Record/Chorus, 'ultra' were carbon-esque spring carriers and lightened shift discs.

BSUdude
08-13-2014, 12:44 PM
Thanks guys.

gfk_velo
08-14-2014, 04:07 AM
No stupid questions, just stupid answers sometimes.

First one is fine as are Jagwire sets but I recommend 5mm der housing and metal(brass is best) ferrules. Campag specifin cables. Plus NO ferrules in the lever for brake housing, yes for der housing.

QS means little with Record/Chorus, 'ultra' were carbon-esque spring carriers and lightened shift discs.

Campagnolo cables generally shift better than Jagwire - slightly different compression and elongation ratios. Use metal ferrules where ferrules are needed, not plastic.

All Campag cables are fully compatible.

QS is a front derailleur technology and contrary to what OldPotatoe says, it does have relevance in Record and Chorus - ideally the FD that is used with levers marked QS should also be QS type. If not, it is almost impossible to correctly set the FD with a Campagnolo chainset so that you move from small ring with the FD as far to the left as it ever goes, to the big ring with the FD as far to the right as it ever goes, in 3 clicks, i.e. a single sweep of lever 2. This is one of the main causes of some of the reported longevity problems in the composite versions of lever 2.

HTH
Graeme
Campagnolo Mian SC UK

oldpotatoe
08-14-2014, 06:36 AM
Campagnolo cables generally shift better than Jagwire - slightly different compression and elongation ratios. Use metal ferrules where ferrules are needed, not plastic.

All Campag cables are fully compatible.

QS is a front derailleur technology and contrary to what OldPotatoe says, it does have relevance in Record and Chorus - ideally the FD that is used with levers marked QS should also be QS type. If not, it is almost impossible to correctly set the FD with a Campagnolo chainset so that you move from small ring with the FD as far to the left as it ever goes, to the big ring with the FD as far to the right as it ever goes, in 3 clicks, i.e. a single sweep of lever 2. This is one of the main causes of some of the reported longevity problems in the composite versions of lever 2.

HTH
Graeme
Campagnolo Mian SC UK

My experience using Jagwire slick stainless inner wires and 5mm housing, brass ferrules shows that they shift really well, as well as the more expensive, Campag branded stuff..again, IME. NOT the kits, but individual wores.

NOt fully compatible, in that, the older, pre 2009 cable kit does not work with post 2009 levers. Those require 4mm der housing, as the 4.5mm der housing won't fit into the wee holes in the ERGO levers.

Don't want to be 'contrary Mary' but the QS means little, easy to adjust the Fder to the clicks required, whether you use a 'QS' lever with non 'QS' front der or vice versa. Again, with pre 2009 levers.

The longevity issues are more due to dirty, draggy inner wires in housing and BB guides that resulted in broken levers..again, pre 2009 ERGO.

thirdgenbird
08-14-2014, 07:20 AM
I've mixed QS and prior derailleurs/shifters and it works fine. Keeping things matched is optimal, but I wouldn't worry about mixing. Actually, I think the instruction manuals at the time said it "worked" but was not "best".

BSUdude
08-14-2014, 12:25 PM
My experience using Jagwire slick stainless inner wires and 5mm housing, brass ferrules shows that they shift really well, as well as the more expensive, Campag branded stuff..again, IME. NOT the kits, but individual wores.

NOt fully compatible, in that, the older, pre 2009 cable kit does not work with post 2009 levers. Those require 4mm der housing, as the 4.5mm der housing won't fit into the wee holes in the ERGO levers.

Don't want to be 'contrary Mary' but the QS means little, easy to adjust the Fder to the clicks required, whether you use a 'QS' lever with non 'QS' front der or vice versa. Again, with pre 2009 levers.

The longevity issues are more due to dirty, draggy inner wires in housing and BB guides that resulted in broken levers..again, pre 2009 ERGO.

Ahh.. Now this is making sense to me. So 2009 and later, which is not what I have, requires 4mm diameter derailleur cable bc the cable stop at the lever has a smaller hole. My confusion is alleviated.

FWIW one bike is a cross bike, so it will likely get jagwire stuff since it's going to get nasty after a few months and replaced anyway. I was debating on splurging for real campy on the road bike, but haven't decided yet.

thirdgenbird
08-14-2014, 12:36 PM
Ahh.. Now this is making sense to me. So 2009 and later, which is not what I have, requires 4mm diameter derailleur cable bc the cable stop at the lever has a smaller hole. My confusion is alleviated.

FWIW one bike is a cross bike, so it will likely get jagwire stuff since it's going to get nasty after a few months and replaced anyway. I was debating on splurging for real campy on the road bike, but haven't decided yet.

If your road bike has a full cable housing run to the rear brake, the jagwire standard kit may not give you enough housing. I barely made It on my wife's 56 with an 80mm stem. Campy kits give you plenty for a full run on a larger frame.