PDA

View Full Version : Los Angeles, California

weisan
03-15-2004, 03:01 PM
Hi Folks,

I will be taking a business trip down to LA, California next week and staying in Holiday Inn Express Century City - 10330 W. Olympic Blvd. It's a four-day conference and it looks like I might be able to sneak out in the afternoon and do a ride for a couple of hours. I will have a rental car available.

For those of you who are staying around the area, would you please provide recommendations for:

1) A place where I can rent a bike

2) Places to ride. I don't mind driving a bit out to the start point if it's all worthwhile. Alternatively, if I were to take off straight from the hotel, is there a route I can take?

I am looking for WOW factor rides!!! I guess my point is: if this is the only chance you can ride in California and have six hours to burn, where would you go? Oh, and lastly, I don't mind climbing. I am no Heras but climbing is okay for me. :D

Muchos gracias!
weisan

Climb01742
03-15-2004, 03:14 PM
weisan,
i'm sure the folks who live in LA will have more detailed suggestions but on business trips to LA i've found that santa monica is a great place to begin your ride (parking your car on ocean blvd or one of the parking garages on second street) and then riding up into the canyons of malibu. if i remember correctly, a good shop is named helen's. they do (or did) sponsor a team, and carry high end bikes. have fun. and after your ride, santa monica has lots of great places to eat. and if you like sushi, and you're near malibu, try nobu in malibu. heaven on earth.
climb.

dgauthier
03-15-2004, 04:02 PM
You could also try SuperGo an alternative to Helen's, though I don't know for sure if they have rentals or not. They are also in Santa Monica. Check their web site (www.supergo.com) for phone numbers and give them a call.

I'd second the Malibu Canyon area. The prettiest ride I've seen so far in L.A. is around Mulholland Highway (not to be confused with Mulholland Drive) and Las Virgenes.

Here's a map: http://maps.yahoo.com/maps_result?ed=LiK9d.p_0TqW0EKlCKonUtwfMvp92UKEoPh Z&csz=Calabasas%2C+CA&country=us&new=1&name=&qty=

weisan
03-15-2004, 04:29 PM
Thank you climb and dgauthier. Keep those suggestions coming!!
:p

Blastinbob
03-15-2004, 06:14 PM
You'll be in Tom Byrnes and Kurts neighbor hood, I'm sure they can point you in the right direction.

If you are going to be here on the 21st you can ride with DBRK , Tom and myself.

Bob

Kurt
03-15-2004, 10:24 PM
what is the exact size frame you use. you can bring your pedal's, seat and shoes I assume. what time frame of day can you ride?

Originally posted by weisan
Hi Folks,

I will be taking a business trip down to LA, California next week and staying in Holiday Inn Express Century City - 10330 W. Olympic Blvd. It's a four-day conference and it looks like I might be able to sneak out in the afternoon and do a ride for a couple of hours. I will have a rental car available.

For those of you who are staying around the area, would you please provide recommendations for:

1) A place where I can rent a bike

2) Places to ride. I don't mind driving a bit out to the start point if it's all worthwhile. Alternatively, if I were to take off straight from the hotel, is there a route I can take?

I am looking for WOW factor rides!!! I guess my point is: if this is the only chance you can ride in California and have six hours to burn, where would you go? Oh, and lastly, I don't mind climbing. I am no Heras but climbing is okay for me. :D

Muchos gracias!
weisan

Tom Byrnes
03-16-2004, 01:24 AM
Hi Weisan,

You will be staying right in my neighborhood - probably only a mile from my house.

What size bike frame do you need? I have a few bikes that you can choose from to ride while you are in L.A. Just bring your pedals and shoes, and if you want, your saddle. I have a pedal wrench. If my bikes will not fit you, I

When do you arrive? When do you leave? Unfortunately, I will be engaged in a jury trial throughout next week and will not be able to join you for a ride in the afternoon. However, I can ride with you on the weekend and show you a few rides I like. As Bob said, we will be riding with dbrk on Sunday, March 21st in the morning and you are certainly welcome to join us if you are in town.

Even if I cannot ride with you during the work week, you can use a bike and I can give you directions to various rides along the ocean and/or up into the hills.

Looking forward to meeting you.

Tom

weisan
03-16-2004, 09:50 AM
Hi Tom,

I really appreciate the generous offer! I would love to meet up with you when I am there visiting. Unfortunately, I will miss the Sunday ride you have with DBRK and Blastinbob because I won't come in till around 6 pm.

I ride a 54 cm (c-t-c) but will ride on ANYTHING (even a beater BMX bike) just to get out of the conference room and enjoy the California coast. Yes, I will bring my shoes and pedals.

I still have your contact number. Why don't I give you a buzz sometime this week and we can talk more about this?
Boy, I am excited. THANK YOU !!! :p

Thanks for chiming in, Kurt. Your help is much appreciated as well.

talk to you soon,
weisan