PDA

View Full Version : Ultralight wind shell jacket

p nut
08-12-2014, 05:23 PM
Looking for something small to fit in my handlebar or saddlebag. Doesn't necessarily have to be waterproof, but would be nice.

This Montbell, although not cycling specific, looks like something that would work well. Pretty small and lightweight. (2.4" x 4.1" x 7.5"; 4.9oz)

http://www.montbell.us/products/disp.php?p_id=2306103&gen_cd=1

Thanks for any input.

dogdriver
08-12-2014, 05:40 PM
Patagonia Houdini jacket is pretty hard to beat. 4 oz, packs in its own stuff sack. My only backpacking shell, unless things are expected to be nasty, when the full-on Gore-Tex jacket comes along. Always goes in the mtb pack, and in the road bike sliver pack if rain is possible. Spendy, but you can find it on sale (I got mine for $42 at a Patagonia Outlet sale).

p nut
08-12-2014, 05:44 PM
Thanks, dogdriver! I'll have to check it out.

BTW, rode Pinecone to Crest for the first time last week. What an awesome trail.

rnhood
08-12-2014, 05:54 PM
The Houdini is an interesting jacket. Some of these backpacking/hiking garments are actually a step beyond cycling attire with regards to design and execution. Just that the cut might not be cycling specific....although if you need a rain jacket the cut is probably not your priority.

I like the Houdini jacket.

dogdriver
08-12-2014, 06:11 PM
BTW, rode Pinecone to Crest for the first time last week. What an awesome trail.

Sweet ride! Pinecone is a great climb (and it beats the pants off of climbing MOFO Trail to get to the Crest), and my favorite descent on this side of the Wasatch...Sad that you climb it to the crest, then usually just turn around and go down.

pitonpat
08-12-2014, 06:49 PM
Another thumbs up for the Patagonia Houdini! I modified mine so that I can roll up the hood and fasten it in order to avoid the dreaded inflated hood effect. Also, my helmet goes over the hood comfortably in cold conditions- the jacket goes on all my winter rides. Fits easily in the center pocket of my jerseys when stuffed into it's integral pocket/stuff sack.

eddief
08-12-2014, 06:51 PM
this was on sale for $70. I think it is a good option for what you describe:

http://www.giro.com/us_en/products/men/apparel/outerwear/m-wind-jacket-3-1.html

Ultralight weight, stuff bag integrated into the internal seam, and made out of a good feeling petroleum product.

choke
08-12-2014, 07:40 PM
The Sportful Hot Pack Ultralight fits the bill...if you're lucky you can find one on sale. There's also a less expensive version - same name minus the Ultralight.

Here's a review (http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/latestnews/gear-break-cycling-jackets/)of the Ultralight.

druptight
08-12-2014, 08:49 PM
The Mavic helium is practically non-existent. I sold one on here a while back. Can be found on sale for under $100 and have seen them on chainlove for $50 (although apparently not since January).

MerckxMad
08-13-2014, 10:25 AM
The Mavic helium is practically non-existent. I sold one on here a while back. Can be found on sale for under $100 and have seen them on chainlove for $50 (although apparently not since January).

The Helium is an excellent wind blocker. It has reflective striping and packs down to the size of a baseball.