PDA

View Full Version : Mystery Noise - Got it!

campy man
08-12-2014, 12:33 PM
I have a creaking noise that is driving me crazy.

Only happens when standing on steep climbs and RH crank at 2 o'clock position. If sitting when climbing or spinning flats ... nothing.

Build is approx 6months old and thinking to take apart and re-assemble bottom bracket, crankset, pedals, rear der, rear der hanger & cassette with plenty of grease or anti-seize.

Any suggestions or similar issues?

donevwil
08-12-2014, 12:38 PM
Some details might help, components, BB type, etc.

eippo1
08-12-2014, 12:46 PM
Check everything. I had the same creak at the same position. Turned out to be a cracked frame that was the problem.

druptight
08-12-2014, 12:53 PM
Any chance it's the old front derailleur excess cable/crimped cap hitting the crank arm? That one's always a fun one.

chiasticon
08-12-2014, 12:55 PM
i've had similar problems and it turned out to be BB30 needing cleaned and lubed. yours could be anything, though. bikes make everything sound like it's coming from the bottom bracket. too many hollow tubes...

my suggestion: start at the bottom bracket, then disassemble, clean and re-lube everything one by one while verifying the results after working on each item. do the work, see if the problem's gone, then try the next thing. that way, if the problem comes back you'll know where to look first. since your problem occurs when generating lots of power, i would suggest attaching your bike to a trainer and using that to verify between each step that the problem is there or gone. with my BB30 issue i tried for a week to get rid of it. one rainy afternoon as described above and it was gone in an hour. now when i get clicking in that area, it's the first thing i try.

ultraman6970
08-12-2014, 01:06 PM
If ultra torque, it could be the wavy washer asking for a swap.

Could be the front quick release.

Could be a cracked frame.

Could be the headset asking for grease, no idea what bike are we talking about here anyways.

Could be a stem asking for grease.

stien
08-12-2014, 01:22 PM
Make sure the stem top cap is tight enough and is seating on the stem not the steerer.

one60
08-12-2014, 01:28 PM
the axle cap on the left hand side of the rear wheel had loosened maybe a quarter turn but enough that the axle cap was creaking under hard efforts.

Makes sense in retrospect, when the right crank is at 2 oclock the left crank is near the bottom of the stroke & was 'torquing' the hub enough to cause a creaking sound as the cap moved against the hub shell.

Good luck!

TomNY
08-12-2014, 01:35 PM
I've had the same w Cervelo R3 after riding in bad weather. Good luck it's an easy fix.

djdj
08-12-2014, 02:07 PM
I bet dollars to doughnuts it is one or other skewer. Try different skewers and see if it goes away.

irideslow8401
08-12-2014, 02:11 PM

Only happens when standing on steep climbs and RH crank at 2 o'clock position. If sitting when climbing or spinning flats ... nothing.

Build is approx 6months old and thinking to take apart and re-assemble bottom bracket, crankset, pedals, rear der, rear der hanger & cassette with plenty of grease or anti-seize.

I suspected the cleats..try to wiggle your foot and repeat that same motion again after you take your foot out.. that happened to me before and i was looking all over until i tighten my cleat..

gforce
08-12-2014, 02:46 PM
Check and lube the skewers...I find it's always the skewers.

oldpotatoe
08-12-2014, 03:42 PM

Ride bike w/o cycling shoes-still have noise?
Swap pedals-still have noise?
Swap rear wheel-still have noise?
BB

Admiral Ackbar
08-12-2014, 03:43 PM
sounds like bb imo but you never know with creaks. front end would be worth a check too. i recently had a bad creak and it was due to bone dry bearing seats. i guess thats what i get for riding in the rain with no bearing cap.

atmo, after 6mo i would definitely do a teardown and rebuild. if i didn't do that every month or two my bike would turn into a huge POS, i ride almost every day tho

campy man
08-12-2014, 05:01 PM
Anybody with experience using a rear Campy Record hub/skewer(black) with Breezer dropouts?

As best as I can remember, the noise started after changing a rear flat. Currently the Campy skewer is pointing forward under the chainstay. Seems like the Campy skewer never fully closes, hitting the dropout shell.

campy man
11-10-2014, 11:03 PM
Well I thought I found the problem when I removed the crankset and greased it all good with Campy white grease ... crickets.

After about 500mi the sound returned near the end of a 45mi ride. This weekend the clicking started after approx 35mi and got worse during the last 10-15mi. Same as before, only when standing ... flat or hills. The strangest part, the noise begins to get louder and more consistent after a couple hrs of riding.

The crankset is a Campagnolo Chorus 11spd Mid-compact, 172.5. Anybody else with a similar problem?

alexstar
11-10-2014, 11:12 PM
I had a click in the same location under the same circumstances - I was pretty sure it was a BB bearing too, as i ride in the rain often and don't exactly baby my bikes. 2009 Centaur Ultra Torque. Nope, the BB bearings were fine. Turned out the pedal was slightly loose. This after two years of silence. Removed, regreased and retightened the pedal; no more clicking noise.

Ti Designs
11-11-2014, 07:50 AM
It's your knees.

Cicli
11-11-2014, 07:53 AM
I had a click in the same location under the same circumstances - I was pretty sure it was a BB bearing too, as i ride in the rain often and don't exactly baby my bikes. 2009 Centaur Ultra Torque. Nope, the BB bearings were fine. Turned out the pedal was slightly loose. This after two years of silence. Removed, regreased and retightened the pedal; no more clicking noise.

I have seen this too. Loose pedal.

malcolm
11-11-2014, 09:45 AM
grease the saddle rails ???

Hindmost
11-11-2014, 10:34 AM
What BB cups do you have? If you grasp the left-hand crank arm, held against the chain stay, and squeeze--what happens?

I found that the newer EPS compatible cups can reduce crank/bearing movement and resolve tick and clunk noises.

Oh, yeah! My noises began when installing Chorus 11 ct cranks in older BB cups.

campy man
11-11-2014, 04:41 PM
Planning to take a look at the BB cups this evening. Been reading the earlier versions have more play than the current versions.

Thanks!

Dead Man
11-11-2014, 05:07 PM
I've had a lot of stuff creak, riding my bikes through PNW winters. Two things that really turned into head-scratchers before I finally figured them out: front wheel hub/bearing, and house ferrule/head boss.

Another weird one that comes to mind that wasn't quite as hard to figure out - my shoes. Never could get it to do it on call, but keeping them clean and powdered kept the creak away, so deductive reasoning proved that one.

jtakeda
11-11-2014, 05:34 PM
chainring bolts?

campy man
11-14-2014, 01:27 PM
Checked pedals and version(color) of bottom bracket cups ... all good.

During inspection of the bike I noticed the rear wheel had some wiggle. The wheelset is a recent build with a new hubset. Had the rear wheel tightened up and then out for a ride ... all is quiet :banana:

Ken Robb
11-14-2014, 02:03 PM

During inspection of the bike I noticed the rear wheel had some wiggle. The wheelset is a recent build with a new hubset. Had the rear wheel tightened up and then out for a ride ... all is quiet :banana:

Do you mean the spokes were re-tensioned? Bearings adjusted? Quick release force increased?

Dead Man
11-14-2014, 02:16 PM
Do you mean the spokes were re-tensioned? Bearings adjusted? Quick release force increased?

Cups tightened, would be my guess...

campy man
11-14-2014, 06:43 PM
Cups tightened, would be my guess...

Sorry ... I got a quick lesson at the LBS on how to adjust the cups.

o2dazone
11-15-2014, 05:32 PM
this should be in your towns morning newspaper, considering how rare it is when people are successful "man narrows down elusive creak on bike and fixes it!"

Steve in SLO
11-15-2014, 06:14 PM

What did you have tightened up?
QR, cups/cones, spokes, other?

Dead Man
11-15-2014, 07:00 PM
this should be in your towns morning newspaper, considering how rare it is when people are successful "man narrows down elusive creak on bike and fixes it!"

Seriously. Every time I finally figure out one creak, two more pop up.

Year-round riding in the PNW.... your bike is NEVER quiet, from September through June anyway.

campy man
11-15-2014, 11:09 PM
What did you have tightened up?
QR, cups/cones, spokes, other?

Cups/cones