PDA

View Full Version : Brooks - Service?

Dromen
08-12-2014, 11:26 AM
I'll try to keep this brief as possible....

2ish years ago, bought a 4 yo NIB Brooks Ti Swallow from a forumite. It never held tension and collapsed with in 20 miles of riding after each tensioning until i had no threads left to tension.

I contacted Brooks for warranty/service/advice. They informed me of its out of warranty status but offered to 're-skin' the saddle for $100ish bucks plus shipping. They also offered to hand select a stiff/thick hide as an added measure to avoid slackness when marrying me 180# hide to the swallow.

Jump ahead a year or so, first ride on saddle(80 mi), the saddle was kinda pinching near the finish and when i inspected the saddle post ride notices one side had collapsed/dented(see pic). I emailed Steven @ Brooks, my contact throughout this process, and after a third request for assistance, he suggested one full turn of tensioner. Following instructions, this had no effect on the saddle. After 2 more attempts for additional assistance/suggestions, Steven finally responded with, possibly this is not the right saddle for you, may i suggest a Swift or Team Professional. 3 weeks & 2 responses later letting him know i have 2 other Swallows that are perfect and have never needed tensioning and a "why are you ingnoring me" email, i am just getting ready to send a 3rd ··· email.

For an old school company(i know they are part of big corp now) with a loyal following that charges very premium prices for there product, should i expect the highest level of customer service for one of their proven products that is "under performing". Heck I get solid service from Chainlove, Backcountry, Leftlane, etc for deeply discounted products they had no hand in producing.

What would you do? Would like to talk to someone on the phone in USA...anyone have a contact?

SoCalSteve
08-12-2014, 11:36 AM
Try these guys:

HIGHWAY TWO - Brooks USA office

Telephone 877-395-8088
Telefax 618-395-8282
Email info@highwaytwo.com

Good luck!!!

bobswire
08-12-2014, 11:53 AM
I'll try to keep this brief as possible....

2ish years ago, bought a 4 yo NIB Brooks Ti Swallow from a forumite. It never held tension and collapsed with in 20 miles of riding after each tensioning until i had no threads left to tension.

I contacted Brooks for warranty/service/advice. They informed me of its out of warranty status but offered to 're-skin' the saddle for $100ish bucks plus shipping. They also offered to hand select a stiff/thick hide as an added measure to avoid slackness when marrying me 180# hide to the swallow.

Jump ahead a year or so, first ride on saddle(80 mi), the saddle was kinda pinching near the finish and when i inspected the saddle post ride notices one side had collapsed/dented(see pic). I emailed Steven @ Brooks, my contact throughout this process, and after a third request for assistance, he suggested one full turn of tensioner. Following instructions, this had no effect on the saddle. After 2 more attempts for additional assistance/suggestions, Steven finally responded with, possibly this is not the right saddle for you, may i suggest a Swift or Team Professional. 3 weeks & 2 responses later letting him know i have 2 other Swallows that are perfect and have never needed tensioning and a "why are you ingnoring me" email, i am just getting ready to send a 3rd ··· email.

For an old school company(i know they are part of big corp now) with a loyal following that charges very premium prices for there product, should i expect the highest level of customer service for one of their proven products that is "under performing". Heck I get solid service from Chainlove, Backcountry, Leftlane, etc for deeply discounted products they had no hand in producing.

What would you do? Would like to talk to someone on the phone in USA...anyone have a contact?

Wow, that's strange. I don't think I've seen anything like that. I would suspect the leather was not cured properly. Take a few detailed photos to back your claim then send them along with your recovered purchase receipt to Brooks USA.

Ahneida Ride
08-12-2014, 12:02 PM
I have a Brooks Van Pro that I messed up.

I sent it down to Bilenky in Penn. to have it repaired.
Came back 100% perfect.

Bilenky had a master craftsman that specialized in Brooks repair.
Not sure if the guy is still with Bilenky.

This gentleman is British and worked for Brooks for many years.
This guy is the real deal and has many specialized tools.

I suggest you give Steve at Bilenky a call. :banana:

http://www.bilenky.com/

Send me a PM of you need more information.

Ahneida Ride
08-12-2014, 12:04 PM
It is very strange that Brooks has no "formal" repair shop in the USA.

redir
08-12-2014, 01:15 PM
If it was me I would never expect any customer service from a company where I purchased second hand. Some are nice enough to do it but I would never expect it. Having said that, it's an odd problem you are having there. You said "Jump ahead a year or so, first ride on saddle(80 mi)" where was it stored for that one year? Looks like something was on top of it.

Dromen
08-12-2014, 02:19 PM
If it was me I would never expect any customer service from a company where I purchased second hand. Some are nice enough to do it but I would never expect it. Having said that, it's an odd problem you are having there. You said "Jump ahead a year or so, first ride on saddle(80 mi)" where was it stored for that one year? Looks like something was on top of it.

Didn't expect a warranty from the second hand purchase, remember i paid to have it refinished and brought up to snuff by Brooks. Don't products serviced by the manufacturer usually carry a warranty? Stored in my cool dry room on the saddle shelf with all bikes and leather/rubber bike stuff.

redir
08-12-2014, 02:22 PM
Didn't expect a warranty from the second hand purchase, remember i paid to have it refinished and brought up to snuff by Brooks. Don't products serviced by the manufacturer usually carry a warranty? Stored in my cool dry room on the saddle shelf with all bikes and leather/rubber bike stuff.

Yeah that's really weird. I'm not sure what to say. Try another email and see how it goes. I think you've just gotten some bad luck especially seeing that they hand picked another tougher skin.

Isn't there a guy on this forum that reskins saddles?

Dromen
08-12-2014, 04:10 PM
Try these guys:

HIGHWAY TWO - Brooks USA office

Telephone 877-395-8088
Telefax 618-395-8282
Email info@highwaytwo.com

Good luck!!!

The situation has been rectified American Style. Thanks for the suggestion Steve.