PDA

View Full Version : Would you buy or sell a used helmet?

BirkWinn
08-11-2014, 07:00 PM
I have a Kask Vertigo all white helmet. That has been sitting in its box for 6 months now.

The Helmet was used for maybe 100 miles and I needed a helmet to use MTB with a buddy and like a fool I used my $220 helmet. So of course I took a little tumble. It's still looks new except for the smallest mark and light scuff on the outer shell. No cracks anywhere.

Because I always heard to get a new helmet if it touches the ground in a fall. I bought a new one. So I have this almost new $220 Helmet sitting in my office because I can't bring myself to throw it away.

Am I dirt bag to try and sell it? And would you buy it knowing the history?

Or should I just toss it?

thegunner
08-11-2014, 07:01 PM
um... i mean if you're going to toss it, i could use a spare helmet for the occasional citibike trip :)

saab2000
08-11-2014, 07:02 PM
So you're saying you won't wear it because you crashed with it but you're asking if it's OK to sell it to someone else? Cue the hilarious laughter!

C'mon man.....

If you have to ask the question you already know the answer.

Charles M
08-11-2014, 07:03 PM
No.

biker72
08-11-2014, 07:05 PM
No

FlashUNC
08-11-2014, 07:05 PM
Um...no.

FastforaSlowGuy
08-11-2014, 07:06 PM
So you're saying you won't wear it because you crashed with it but you're asking if it's OK to sell it to someone else? Cue the hilarious laughter!

C'mon man.....

If you have to ask the question you already know the answer.

This. I don't have a philosophical objection to selling/buying helmets, but if you won't ride it don't offer it to someone else.

Bruce K
08-11-2014, 07:07 PM
1 impact that leaves ANY kind of mark and my helmets are bye-bye

Too much info from Motorsport days to rely on it after that

BK

zmudshark
08-11-2014, 07:07 PM
On a related note, is it alright to buy a bike you know is stolen, because it's a really good deal?

Answer:

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showpost.php?p=1601996&postcount=4

commonguy001
08-11-2014, 07:09 PM
Toss it
If you won't wear it you already know the answer

djg21
08-11-2014, 07:15 PM
I have a Kask Vertigo all white helmet. That has been sitting in its box for 6 months now.

The Helmet was used for maybe 100 miles and I needed a helmet to use MTB with a buddy and like a fool I used my $220 helmet. So of course I took a little tumble. It's still looks new except for the smallest mark and light scuff on the outer shell. No cracks anywhere.

Because I always heard to get a new helmet if it touches the ground in a fall. I bought a new one. So I have this almost new $220 Helmet sitting in my office because I can't bring myself to throw it away.

Yes. If you woudn't wear it because you are concerned for your safety, and you sell it to someone else, even assuming that you disclose the fact that it was crashed (but who would buy it?) you are going to feel pretty bad if the buyer ends up a vegatable because the helmet you sold them had been compromised in your earlier crash. If you wouldn't feel horrible, the term "dirt bag" is not the first one that comes to mind.

Why don't you call the manufacturer/distributor and have them look at it? Maybe they'll do some sort of crash replacement, and you can sell the replacement as new.

christian
08-11-2014, 07:32 PM
If I threw away my old helmets every time I fell off a mountain bike, I'd run out of space in the recycling bin on Fridays. (They collect on Tuesdays.)

In other words, you were silly silly silly for buying a new one.

thegunner
08-11-2014, 07:36 PM
If I threw away my old helmets every time I fell off a mountain bike, I'd run out of space in the recycling bin on Fridays. (They collect on Tuesdays.)

yeah... um, i've dropped my helmet on the ground before (from off a sofa) and it scuffed up one of the corners. maybe i'm not cautious enough, but i don't think every impact = loss of structural integrity.

maybe don't toss it, but use it for less intense riding?

saab2000
08-11-2014, 07:39 PM
yeah... um, i've dropped my helmet on the ground before (from off a sofa) and it scuffed up one of the corners. maybe i'm not cautious enough, but i don't think every impact = loss of structural integrity.

Why would less intense riding result in less intense head injuries?

If it's not broken it's fine. That's my opinion. I've dropped mine and checked for cracks/breaks as well. Helmets are styrofoam. Not so dissimilar to cheap coffee cups. If there are cracks in the styrofoam, toss it.

Just keep it if it's OK and don't sell it. Have a second helmet. Take the fit pads out and use it as a winter helmet over a cap.

oldpotatoe
08-11-2014, 07:39 PM

You aren't a dirtbag since you are asking but I don't think you should sell it nor would I buy a used helmet( or bibs for that matter).

thegunner
08-11-2014, 07:41 PM
Why would less intense riding result in less intense head injuries?

If it's not broken it's fine. That's my opinion. I've dropped mine and checked for cracks/breaks as well. Helmets are styrofoam. Not so dissimilar to cheap coffee cups. If there are cracks in the styrofoam, toss it.

Just keep it if it's OK and don't sell it. Have a second helmet. Take the fit pads out and use it as a winter helmet over a cap.

i mean in scenarios where tumbling off your bike is at lower speed / less likely.

i'm pretty sure me falling at 10 mph on the greenway is a lot different than me wiping out at 35 in a sprint. would you disagree with that statement?

saab2000
08-11-2014, 07:49 PM
i mean in scenarios where tumbling off your bike is at lower speed / less likely.

i'm pretty sure me falling at 10 mph on the greenway is a lot different than me wiping out at 35 in a sprint. would you disagree with that statement?

Yes, I would disagree with this statement. My worst ever cycling injury took place at about 15-18 MPH. And I broke a rib falling off at a standstill (don't ask....). I was literally barely moving and couldn't release and toppled awkwardly. Broke a rib.

Slow accidents can be just as injurious as fast ones. I'm not a helmet zealot or anything but don't be under the illusion that riding slowly is perfectly safe or that riding fast is inherently dangerous.

Ironically, I find the fast group rides I go on are often safer than the slower ones, but the less safe riders are often shed and a better group of riders remains.

If the helmet isn't broken, it's probably fine. If you don't feel good about it, toss it. It's really that simple.

avalonracing
08-11-2014, 07:54 PM
In many cases manufacturers will pro deal you a new helmet if you crack a new helmet. Try them first.

Otherwise, do not sell a helmet you are afraid to use. Bad karma all around.

thegunner
08-11-2014, 07:57 PM
Yes, I would disagree with this statement. My worst ever cycling injury took place at about 15-18 MPH. And I broke a rib falling off at a standstill (don't ask....). I was literally barely moving and couldn't release and toppled awkwardly. Broke a rib.

You tried track standing didn't you... :)

soulspinner
08-11-2014, 07:57 PM

Slow accidents can be just as injurious as fast ones. I'm not a helmet zealot or anything but don't be under the illusion that riding slowly is perfectly safe or that riding fast is inherently dangerous.

Ironically, I find the fast group rides I go on are often safer than the slower ones, but the less safe riders are often shed and a better group of riders remains.

If the helmet isn't broken, it's probably fine. If you don't feel good about it, toss it. It's really that simple.

+1... Had a slow speed crash last week. The side impact force has kept me sore longer than the time I fell in a construction hole at 20 mph.YMMV

93legendti
08-11-2014, 08:04 PM

Mine too.

I fell warming up, just minutes into a ride on strange road with a shoulder 2" lower than the road. It felt like I went to sit down and someone pulled my chair out from under me. I couldn't move for minutes...we were on cross bikes and riding about 12mph

saab2000
08-11-2014, 08:42 PM
You tried track standing didn't you... :)

I can track stand all day long....

The incident in question... since you must know... :D

About 5 years ago or so I was on a Sunday morning group ride here in Virginia Beach before I lived here in a full time basis. We ride out to a place called Creeds. There's a gas station break and instead of going inside I just rode behind the gas station to a grove of bushes and thin trees to relieve myself. It's very soft and sandy around here and my front wheel sunk in, very quickly and unexpectedly, at about 2-3 MPH and just stopped immediately. I was standing on the pedals and my top heavy center of gravity moved forward and I toppled over onto my right side, trapping my elbow between the ground and my rib cage. Initially I didn't feel too much, but on the ride back into town it got worse and worse. Diagnosis from my RN mother was that it was a cracked rib. It was definitely painful for at least a week and the first couple nights were absolutely miserable when breathing or coughing or sneezing.

But the bottom line is that yeah, you can fall over at slow speeds and it's not always in your control.

kramnnim
08-11-2014, 09:13 PM
Yes, I would buy the helmet. It's not like a spent airbag...

MattTuck
08-11-2014, 10:51 PM
As with most things cycling (especially mountain biking), don't use stuff that would hurt you financially if it broke.

A damaged helmet is the cost of doing business, in my opinion... so don't try to recoup the cost by selling it used. Even with full disclosure, I just don't think it is right to put it back into the stream of commerce, because you never know if the buyer turns around and tries to sell it without disclosing the damage.

It is an expensive lesson, but hopefully one that will last a long time: use inexpensive helmets when mountain biking.

damocles
08-11-2014, 11:06 PM
I crashed and cracked a Kask Vertigo a couple of weeks ago. I emailed Kask and they do have a crash replacement offer. It's via their distributors, which for the US/Canada is http://www.highwaytwo.com. I got a great deal on a replacement which I thought was fantastic.

To answer your original question, I'd never buy or sell a used helmet, crashed or otherwise. I'm not really down with something on my head that some other dude has been sweating in... ;)

In many cases manufacturers will pro deal you a new helmet if you crack a new helmet. Try them first.

Otherwise, do not sell a helmet you are afraid to use. Bad karma all around.

Admiral Ackbar
08-12-2014, 06:06 AM
I've bought and sold used (lightly) helmets before ... i don't think its such a big deal as some folks are making it out to be. the smallest mark and some light scuffing sounds like nothing more than aesthetic damage, without seeing it. i would not hesitate to continue wearing it and wouldn't even considering just tossing it... might as well go flush your money down the ····ter

makoti
08-12-2014, 08:31 AM

Because pavement is so much softer on relaxed rides?

To answer the OP...no, I would not buy one. If someone wanted mine, I'd tell them it's history but it would likely be too late. I'd have tossed it already.

thegunner
08-12-2014, 09:29 AM
to be fair, all the counter-arguments listed above don't involve the head.

and i would think the force of your head going into that pavement is significantly less when slow, since you most likely have more time to extend your arm (and break your collarbone instead :))

PaMtbRider
08-12-2014, 09:40 AM
I've bought and sold used (lightly) helmets before ... i don't think its such a big deal as some folks are making it out to be. the smallest mark and some light scuffing sounds like nothing more than aesthetic damage, without seeing it. i would not hesitate to continue wearing it and wouldn't even considering just tossing it... might as well go flush your money down the ····ter

This! I am pretty safety conscious and aware. I always wear a helmet bicycling and always wear full gear when riding a motorcycle. I wouldn't buy a used helmet, that's just not my thing. I would absolutely wear a helmet that has a small scuff mark on it from a mountain bike tumble.

charliedid
08-12-2014, 09:45 AM

This ^

The notion that a helmet should be replaced after "touching the ground in a fall" is absurd.

I have not read this entire thread so maybe I missed it. What exactly happened to this helmet that keeps you from wearing it?

djdj
08-12-2014, 09:53 AM
I wonder if there is any science on when a helmet must be replaced (whether after impact or after a number of years with no impact). Some things seem obvious (e.g., a crack), but others much less so.

Edit: I found this, fwiw: http://www.helmets.org/replace.htm

christian
08-12-2014, 10:08 AM
Helmets are made of expanded polystyrene.

If you crash one hard enough to compress any part of the EPS, it needs to be replaced. If the EPS isn't compressed, keep riding. Super-easy!

syxxl
08-19-2014, 02:26 PM
If it is with great condition and the reason for sale is don't like the color I'll do

从我的 iPhone 发送,使用 Tapatalk

brando
08-19-2014, 05:40 PM
No. Used anything usually has something missing, scratched, damaged etc which is sometimes worth it, but not on my head.

jtolive
08-20-2014, 05:49 AM
Buying a used helmet is like buying a set of well used bibs but worse. Sure you can do it but unless financially you have to why would you? Besides the gross factor with a helmet you have a safety factor. Not worth it IMO.

93legendti
08-20-2014, 07:10 AM
Only used tires...