PDA

View Full Version : Dean el Diente

moots7
08-11-2014, 01:58 PM
Any opinions on the Dean el Diente frames?
I have been looking for a used Moots Vammots in a 56 with no luck but John at Dean has 56 el Diente on special so....

bart998
08-11-2014, 06:04 PM
I loved my Dean El Vado.... will probably buy an El Diente. Only sold it because it was a bit too small.

Exonerv
08-11-2014, 06:27 PM
My primary ride is a Dean El Diente. When that superlight version came up for sale in the classified a week or so ago, it was a challenge to hold off on picking up another. The ride and build quality on mine is outstanding, and I can't imagine what I would possibly gain by trading up. My Dean is a keeper.

pdmtong
08-11-2014, 07:38 PM
note the effect of STA as discussed in your peg threads.

not mine:

budget
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/bik/4610641711.html

more $
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/bik/4598140974.html

moots7
08-11-2014, 08:32 PM
Thanks so much for the help...I really want the Peg just not sure on the fit and even though a fair price a lot of $$$

beeatnik
08-11-2014, 08:59 PM
note the effect of STA as discussed in your peg threads.

not mine:

budget
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/bik/4610641711.html

more $
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/bik/4598140974.html

Yikes! Sellers in the Yay Area really place a premium on old Shimano parts.

eippo1
08-11-2014, 10:26 PM
My primary ride is a Dean El Diente. When that superlight version came up for sale in the classified a week or so ago, it was a challenge to hold off on picking up another. The ride and build quality on mine is outstanding, and I can't imagine what I would possibly gain by trading up. My Dean is a keeper.

Yeah, I'm glad I decided to keep my El Diente Superlite. It is arguably the best I've ridden although I could say the same about the Della Santa. I will build it back up sometime in the future when I get funds. May send it back to him to drill it for Di2.

Great bike, stiff where it should be and comfy everywhere else. It actually surprised me in a good way with how stiff it is and yes, I was always looking down at my tires because the ride was so much smoother than the Tarmac I was riding previously. The one he has on special looks stellar.

pbarry
08-11-2014, 11:35 PM
Make an appointment and drive to Gunbarrel already. :hello: That's a very nice deal.

pdmtong
08-12-2014, 07:47 PM
Thanks so much for the help...I really want the Peg just not sure on the fit and even though a fair price a lot of $$$

I think you are compromising your intentions and getting swayed by a sale price

You said you were 60yo? dammit get what you want - life is short.

I am NOT saying one bike is better than another. I am just saying if you want a peg, get a peg. save for a peg. wait for a peg.

I doubt the 54 is right from a drop standpoint...it's either the 55 or 56 depending on bar drop. Have you called a few peg dealers and ask them? I think the current forum input is consistent to past postings and still relevant

pbarry
08-12-2014, 08:01 PM
Agreed that if a Peg is what floats your boat, then get a Peg. However, I'm pretty sure John will be happy to let you test ride the bike. Then, you'd know..

moots7
08-13-2014, 05:59 PM
Well took the advice....but not a Peg....I ordered a new Moots Vamoots I think it fits my riding goals better and I know what I am getting since I already own a psychlo x.
2013 model welded seat clamp Moots fork and King headset. All I need is a seat post...and I am set!

pdmtong
08-13-2014, 06:20 PM
Well took the advice....but not a Peg....I ordered a new Moots Vamoots I think it fits my riding goals better and I know what I am getting since I already own a psychlo x.
2013 model welded seat clamp Moots fork and King headset. All I need is a seat post...and I am set!

well, hence your screen name, it was destiny. congrats

My CR is a 2013 last year seat binder (RSL fork). its a great ride. I did splurge on the moots post. it just looks sooo nice. wish I could afford the stem, but thats outrageous $ given the alternatives and I thought the post would accent better visually.

moots7
08-13-2014, 08:11 PM
Are you running set-back or straight on your CR

pdmtong
08-13-2014, 08:17 PM
Are you running set-back or straight on your CR

set back. I run about 7.5cm setback so def need sb post. the moots post of course slips in perfectly...not so the case with some 27.2 carbon posts I tried prior.

its kinda the same deal as the peg geo. the stock 55 CR is eTT 55.5 with a 73.5 STA...so that normalizes to a eTT 56.0 with a 73.0 STA

note the current moots post can only fit a std metal rail. I know people are pushing them to mfg an accommodation for a 7x9 carbon rail but right now only 7x7 works...which is why i spent the previous few years hunting for all white arione cx metal rail on ebay before getting my CR.

moots7
08-13-2014, 08:33 PM
Get info thanks

boconnor811
04-08-2015, 03:34 PM
thread necromancing a bit, anyone else have experience with recent vintage el dente or superlight frames?

I really want a Moots, however cant spring for a new one and am unable to find a Vamoots or CR in 56 size, wondering if an El Dente SL would hold me over until I found what I'm after.

johnniecakes
04-08-2015, 03:48 PM
My experience depends on how you define recent. I got a new El Diente in October 2010. I met several builders at the hand made show in Richmond. I checked out the bikes that were there and went away impressed by the Dean's that were on display so I decided to get one. Ordered in May and received it in October on schedule and was immediately impressed. Almost 5 years later I have no negatives to express. The visual quality is every bit as good as a Seven, IF or Moots. I would highly recommend

boconnor811
04-08-2015, 04:53 PM
My experience depends on how you define recent.

2012 - tapered head tube frame...

hamitup
04-09-2015, 07:55 AM
I have a older el diente and it has been a good bike. I recently put a new 105 groupset on it and am looking to sell if interested

thread necromancing a bit, anyone else have experience with recent vintage el dente or superlight frames?

I really want a Moots, however cant spring for a new one and am unable to find a Vamoots or CR in 56 size, wondering if an El Dente SL would hold me over until I found what I'm after.

eippo1
04-09-2015, 08:18 PM
It would probably do just fine. I compared my Dean to a Moots RSL not too long ago and was pretty happy with how they compared. In other words, besides the slight geometry difference they both felt great. My Dean is older than what you'd be looking for, though. Actually building it back up again.

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c271/eippo1/dean%20up1_zpsm1rp0npz.jpg (http://s29.photobucket.com/user/eippo1/media/dean%20up1_zpsm1rp0npz.jpg.html)