PDA

View Full Version : Fitness Mystery - One of those days - A great ride!

mgm777
08-11-2014, 12:12 PM
Nearly all of my local rides include a five mile stretch of road that climbs gradually to get back to my neighborhood. Like most of you, I generally know what my average speed (Garmin 500) is on this climb. Last Friday, I did my usual cruiser loop that culminated with this climb. That day, however, I was feeling especially good. When I looked down at my Garmin, my speed was over 3 mph faster that my typical climbing speed. My perceived effort was the same as every other day, but my speed up the hill was mysteriously faster. There was no wind to speak of that day. Yesterday, I did the same loop, same conditions, no wind, and my average speed on the climb reverted back to my more typical speed. Perceived effort was the same.

Man, I wish I knew what I did(food, rest, drink) on Thursday to feel/perform so well on Friday's ride. Sometimes I surprise myself.

MattTuck
08-11-2014, 12:20 PM
Did you have any Spanish beef the night before? :rolleyes:

Kidding aside, that's great. When it all comes together... fitness, rest, nutrition, etc. and you have a great ride.

Nothing can beat that 'no chain' feeling.

biker72
08-11-2014, 12:41 PM
I've had those days too. One day I'm king of the road, a couple of days later I feel like crap in the road....:)

chiasticon
08-11-2014, 01:24 PM
those days are so few and far between, it sucks. i always joke with my friends that i'm only good for about two of those every summer. but when they come...oooooh boy!

recreating them... well, mine are always after a day or two off, but that's about all i know. which makes me wonder how the hell anyone can ever win a grand tour.

Dead Man
08-11-2014, 01:34 PM
Coffee does this to me. Total performance enhancing drug for me. I had a 30 mile one-way commute that usually took me about 1:30 to complete, with some rolling hills and a backpack full of laptop and paperwork on my back.. just the barest hair under 20mph average. It'd been my goal to get that up over the 20mph hump round trip (I could usually do it there, but would drop off on the return ride)... one day I got an important phone call just as I left for the return trip, and stopped at Starbucks to use wifi... I ordered a cup of coffee and knocked it back while I quickly edited a contract. Got it sent off, threw everything back into my pack and chucked the empty cup into the trash... got back on the bike

BAM... 22mph average for the return trip, with a slight headwind even. Felt like damn pro. Fun afternoon on the bike!

dustyrider
08-11-2014, 08:39 PM
recreating them... well, mine are always after a day or two off, but that's about all i know. which makes me wonder how the hell anyone can ever win a grand tour.

These are certainly the more consistent times I experience the fitness bump, but I've also found centuries easier to eat up at the tailend of a long tour. Obviously pros must experience the phenomenon more frequently which must just be awesome! Course they do pay play.

mike p
08-11-2014, 08:48 PM
3 mph faster up a climb is significant. Is it possible there was a computer, Garmin f---up? How does the Garmin record speed? Off the wheel? Satellite?

Mike

PS......not to rain on your parade ;-)