PDA

View Full Version : OT: iPhone 5S now, or wait for iPhone 6?

Bob Ross
08-11-2014, 12:09 PM
I currently do not own an iPhone (nor a SmartPhone of any sort). I'm way overdue to get one. In fact, it would be especially handy if I got one before mid-September, because there's an industry conference I'm attending next month where it will be extremely important (if not mandatory) to have messaging, email, and GPS functions in a mobile device.

But apparently the iPhone 6 will not be out by then. Or if it is, it will be priced accordingly for a just-released Apple product.

Is there any really good reason not to just buy an iPhone 5S right now, rather than wait for the 6? I don't give a crap about being an "early adopter" or having the latest, greatest, modt up-to-date hardware. I do however care about products that get orphaned by the manufacturer in terms of compatibility down the road.

Thanks.

thirdgenbird
08-11-2014, 12:26 PM
iPhones are typically $200 at release for a 16gb model but rumor has it (at least last I looked) that the 6 will be $250-300.

I recently got two 5s models for $99 each. Well worth the cost in my opinion. I actually didn't have any issue keeping my 4s (did more than I need) but best buy was offering $150 buy back (I payed $100 two years ago) so I walked out of the store with two new phones for $50. Sure , I signed another 2 year agreement, but I'm still going to have a phone in two years and my plan is cheaper than anything currently offered.

Oh, and I wouldn't bother buying direct from the carrier. At least around here, best buy and radio shack are way cheaper and friendlier. The same purchase at my cell phone carrier would have been over $200.

josephr
08-11-2014, 12:28 PM
other than your wanting it for this conference...I'd wait as the 6 is due out in September from what I've read/heard. Still, if you've never had a smartphone, it takes a little time to get it all straightened out. After several years, I gave my smartphone up back in January. Haven't really missed it. YMMV.

sg8357
08-11-2014, 12:29 PM
Buy the 5s now and with the savings get a Nokia flip phone for voice calls.

4Rings6Stars
08-11-2014, 12:31 PM
Assuming they will further discount the 5s when the 6 comes out, so you could also just wait for that if you really don't care about the latest and greatest....

thirdgenbird
08-11-2014, 12:34 PM
Assuming they will further discount the 5s when the 6 comes out, so you could also just wait for that if you really don't care about the latest and greatest....

I don't expect it to go below $100. Actually, they have recently gone from $100 back to $140-150 many places. I'm guessing they drop back to $100 and stay when the 6 gets released. It's all a gamble and I've been wrong before.

likebikes
08-11-2014, 12:36 PM
Buy the 5s now and with the savings get a Nokia flip phone for voice calls.

couldn't have said it better myself.

biker72
08-11-2014, 12:38 PM
Regardless of what you get, there is a little learning curve involved. I'd get something as soon as possible if you've never owned a smartphone..

After some extensive research, I've come to the conclusion that there is no "perfect" smart phone. I've had an iPhone 4S and currently have a Samsung Galaxy S4. Each one has its pros and cons.

malcolm
08-11-2014, 12:48 PM
I'm using a 4s and it does everything I could possible want it to do. GPS, multiple e-mail accounts, internet access. I would get the cheapest one but splurge on memory.

I'll get the 6 if it's weather proof, if not I'm keeping my 4s. I not a big tech guy and could care less about the latest and greatest, but I do like to manage my email on my phone.

Gsinill
08-11-2014, 12:53 PM
Rumor has it that the new 6 will be significantly bigger.
So depending on your personal preference, you might want to wait with your decision until the specs are out.

svelocity
08-11-2014, 01:02 PM
Funny this thread came up because I just damaged my iPhone 4s over the weekend. Everything works but I can barely make out the images on the screen.

Do I wait a month and deal with it or go get an iPhone 5s??

R3awak3n
08-11-2014, 01:21 PM
wait...

even if you end up not wanting the 6, you will get a better deal on the 5s...

really the worst time to buy an iphone.

aramis
08-11-2014, 01:26 PM
Funny this thread came up because I just damaged my iPhone 4s over the weekend. Everything works but I can barely make out the images on the screen.

I just went out and bought a 4s used a year ago for $200 and am using that still. I use straight talk $45/mo no contract unlimited everything (I think they throttle you after a certain data amount, but I don't watch tv on my phone). There might be better deals on non contract stuff now too.

You can probably get a 4s in good shape for $150 now. My wife has the 5s and it's not that much better.. so in response.. I don't know. :p See if you can find a cheap used one and go from there? Looks like they are about $200 on ebay for a 4s now and ebay is always most expensive for that stuff.

thirdgenbird
08-11-2014, 01:35 PM
wait...

even if you end up not wanting the 6, you will get a better deal on the 5s...

really the worst time to buy an iphone.

How cheap do you expect they will get? They are already $50-100. I really don't see them dropping below that mark.

When the 5s came out, the 5 vanished and it's lower priced spot was filled with a cheaper version. Customers would have been better off buying the discounted 5.

likebikes
08-11-2014, 01:38 PM

screens are cheap to replace.

Len J
08-11-2014, 01:38 PM
I've got a 5s.... It's a very good, very easy to use smart-phone. It's a set-it & forget it phone IME.

If you can wait (which it sounds like you can't) I would, for 2 reasons:

1.) they are coming out with 2 new phones, the 6 w a much larger screen and something else a little smaller. Waiting let's you choose the size you want.

2.) waiting gives you a longer life. Apple's history is to keep improving the phone OS, but the cost of that is higher overhead (needing faster processes etc). Since you will probably be signing a 2 yr contract, future proofing, to some extent, is worth it.

Other option is to buy a used 5s and get a month to month, see what comes out, and if you decide to get a 6, sell the used 5s

IMO

Len

EDS
08-11-2014, 04:11 PM
I've got a 5s.... It's a very good, very easy to use smart-phone. It's a set-it & forget it phone IME.

If you can wait (which it sounds like you can't) I would, for 2 reasons:

1.) they are coming out with 2 new phones, the 6 w a much larger screen and something else a little smaller. Waiting let's you choose the size you want.

2.) waiting gives you a longer life. Apple's history is to keep improving the phone OS, but the cost of that is higher overhead (needing faster processes etc). Since you will probably be signing a 2 yr contract, future proofing, to some extent, is worth it.

Other option is to buy a used 5s and get a month to month, see what comes out, and if you decide to get a 6, sell the used 5s

IMO

Len

Is future proofing for a smartphone an important purchasing criteria? I have a soon to be 4 year old iphone 4 that still works. I will likely upgrade to the 6 when it comes out just for kicks though.

Len J
08-11-2014, 04:15 PM
Is future proofing for a smartphone an important purchasing criteria? I have a soon to be 4 year old iphone 4 that still works. I will likely upgrade to the 6 when it comes out just for kicks though.

As I moved from a 4 to a 4s to a 5s, each successive upgrade of OS slowed the performance noticeably (to me). I don't see that changing going forward.

Ymmv.

Len

ojingoh
08-11-2014, 04:21 PM

No, not really. Everyone has different adoption rates for mobile devices. Whenever there's a form factor change though, people tend to upgrade when they wouldn't ordinarily.

The 6 is supposed to come in two different screen sizes, but both may share the same pixel count. To visualize the size difference, imagine the iphone 5 bigger by a third in the horizontal and vertical size of the screen. Think of the rows of icons you have on your home screen now -- 4 across and 6 down. now add two more across and three more down. that's what I believe the screen will look like.

I'd suggest that if you watch a lot of video, game a lot or write a lot on the device, it might make more sense. It will be hard to say until they release the new ones. I am 100% sure I am getting one for personal use, but then again this is my profession.

DfCas
08-11-2014, 04:40 PM
I think the 5C is the deal. I can match my handlebar tape color too.

Johnny Alien
08-11-2014, 05:01 PM
I think the 5C is the deal. I can mTch my handlebar tape color too.

Honestly there is very little difference between a 5 and 5C. A fancier outside and the fingerprint button. It's slightly faster but not alot. Personally I would wait BUT if you don't feel the need to always be cutting edge then the 5C or the 5S will both easily handle the OS updates for the next two years based on how things have gone in the past. So, while I would wait if I had to have one now I would do the 5C in a second. You can get them for around $20 at Target right now.

dogdriver
08-11-2014, 05:05 PM
... or wait until the 6 comes out and then buy a 5 (S) (C). They'll be cheap after the new, cool thing is released.

thirdgenbird
08-11-2014, 05:28 PM
... or wait until the 6 comes out and then buy a 5 (S) (C). They'll be cheap after the new, cool thing is released.

That's the thing, they are cheap. Like mentioned, you can get a 5c for $20.

93legendti
08-11-2014, 05:52 PM
I currently do not own an iPhone (nor a SmartPhone of any sort). I'm way overdue to get one. In fact, it would be especially handy if I got one before mid-September, because there's an industry conference I'm attending next month where it will be extremely important (if not mandatory) to have messaging, email, and GPS functions in a mobile device.

But apparently the iPhone 6 will not be out by then. Or if it is, it will be priced accordingly for a just-released Apple product.

Is there any really good reason not to just buy an iPhone 5S right now, rather than wait for the 6? I don't give a crap about being an "early adopter" or having the latest, greatest, modt up-to-date hardware. I do however care about products that get orphaned by the manufacturer in terms of compatibility down the road.

Thanks.

Another option is buy a used iPad mini with 4g from Gazelle. You will be able to do email, it will have gps and messaging can be done with a VOIP app. Then you can decide if you need a iPhone 5 or a 6. Email is much easier on an iPad mini...

saab2000
08-11-2014, 06:26 PM
Another option is buy a used iPad mini with 4g from Gazelle. You will be able to do email, it will have gps and messaging can be done with a VOIP app. Then you can decide if you need a iPhone 5 or a 6. Email is much easier on an iPad mini...

This is an excellent suggestion.

I will add the following:

I got an iPhone 5S about 10 months ago and couldn't be happier. The ONLY thing that would 'improve' it as far as I'm concerned would be the bigger screen everyone raves about with other smartphones. That said, the width of the 5S is great and it fits nicely into your hand for one-handed operations.

Finally, another reason to get the 5S is that generally speaking within the world of Apple fandom is that the "S" series are superior to the first of their series. In other words, the 4S was much loved over the 4 and the 5S seems to get rave reviews over the 5.

If you get the 5S you will be on the S cycle of their 2-year product development.

Count me wildly satisfied with my 5S. I'm only watching the 6 development with interest but I have no intention of getting one when they come out.

Don49
08-11-2014, 06:28 PM
http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#iPhone

R3awak3n
08-11-2014, 07:15 PM
How cheap do you expect they will get? They are already $50-100. I really don't see them dropping below that mark.

When the 5s came out, the 5 vanished and it's lower priced spot was filled with a cheaper version. Customers would have been better off buying the discounted 5.

well the 5c was technically better than the iphone 5. I think battery was better amongst other things. Sure it didnt look as premium.

I dunno what apple is going to do but since the 5c was not really a big sucess I wouldnt be surprised if they kept the 5s for a minute.

Also when it comes to rumours there will be 2 new iphones, both with a bigger screen as the 5s but one will not be as big as a phablet (i knwo its a stupid name, I didnt come up with it).

Also the new iphone will be thinner than the current one so if rumours are true the 4.5 in iphone will still be quite pocketable.

I am in the market for the new one (current have a 5, have had tons of android phones and even a couple of windows phones), the reason I went back to the iphone was because of size but I am thinking of getting the big iphone if rumours are true.

edit: You could also hit the used market but right now the 5 still fetches a good amount of money. When the 6 comes out, the 5 will probably take the biggest drop. The 5s will still be decently expensive but I think with a new cycle of phones (new look, people love to have the new thing but btw the 5 and 5s no one really knows what you have) the price of the 5s will come down substantially.

thirdgenbird
08-11-2014, 07:23 PM
You are correct, I did forget about the battery life, I guess lists a trade for the cheaper case. Here is my guess for base prices:

5c free (it wasn't popular, but it don't see the 4s living or the 5s dropping that cheap)
5s $100 (with some retailers selling for $50)
6 $ 200
6 big $300

This would be similar to what? The last two or three releases but with an addition of a larger/faster top tier model.

I love the 5/5s size. Perfect if you have a tablet for heavier use.

shovelhd
08-11-2014, 07:29 PM
I am due for an upgrade and I will wait for the small 6. I have an original 5 and the one thing the 5s has that I want is slo mo video. As an official, its a game changer.

Ralph
08-11-2014, 07:32 PM
Are there no good choices other than Apple and Samsung? Especially if you don't do much with one.

thirdgenbird
08-11-2014, 07:42 PM
Are there no good choices other than Apple and Samsung? Especially if you don't do much with one.

I think the best phone for someone that doesn't do much with one is the cheapest iphone going. A $20 iPhone 5c would be way more phone than you need at very little cost.

Edit:
I should have said, more than you need, but very easy to use. A nexus is another great option.

saab2000
08-11-2014, 07:43 PM

I've heard good things about the HTC One. It's a very nice piece of equipment. That said, I don't think it got much market traction.

I have a couple friends who have the Google Nexus phone. It doesn't have any of the 'bloatware' that many Android phones have and can be had for a 'reasonable' amount of money and since you own the phone and aren't subsidized you probably have more options as to your contract. I have friends with T-Mobile who pay about 40% less than I pay per month and they're satisfied for their needs.

Several of the premium phones are also available as 'pure' Android phones, but you have to buy them from the Google Play store I think and some work better on some networks than others.

For ease of use, the iPhone is hard to beat. It's extremely intuitive.

93legendti
08-11-2014, 07:54 PM
Agree with Saab, the iPhone is very simple to use. So is Galaxy S4, LG G2 and Nexus 4 and 5. I had an HTC, but couldn't stand the dialer. Samsung phones have touch wiz easy which is a nice basic mode to operate the phone for first time smartphone users.

mike p
08-11-2014, 08:21 PM
I guess I'm in the minority here but I don't want a bigger phone. I've got the iPhone 5 and anything bigger would be a hassle to carry. How do people carry those big galaxies and the new iPhones 6 around. If it can't fit in my chest pocket or my short pocket I don't want it. I've got an iPad and PC at home I don't need a phone that approach's the size of a tablet.

Mike

Ralph
08-12-2014, 05:56 AM
I guess I'm in the minority here but I don't want a bigger phone. I've got the iPhone 5 and anything bigger would be a hassle to carry. How do people carry those big galaxies and the new iPhones 6 around. If it can't fit in my chest pocket or my short pocket I don't want it. I've got an iPad and PC at home I don't need a phone that approach's the size of a tablet.

Mike

Thread drift.....this is where I'm at. Being retired, I'm never that far away from my laptop or android tablet at home, and currently just use a simple basic flip phone for occasional calls or perhaps emergencies that fits easily in my pants pocket or back jersey pocket. If I get soaked in a rain storm, and ruin the phone, well....I've got some other old phones I can connect. The only need I have for a smarter phone is just because I don't want to be left behind in the technology use. It's hard for us old guys to catch up if we wait to late to start. And also.....my kids just text.....they don't answer calls much. So if I wish to stay in touch with them....gotta text. Otherwise.....I'm fine with a simple phone.....that's only a phone. So can't decide what to do.

R3awak3n
08-12-2014, 07:23 AM
The bigger phones are becoming smaller. Bigger screens in smaller bodies. My gf just got a lg 3 and for a 5.7 in screen does not seem that big. Larger phones are also pretty thin so you don't see the bulk that way.

I also been noticing that the new wave of phones have a huge battery, over 3000 mah, probably because it can fit on the phone and that is awesome since I always want more battery.

Johnny Alien
08-12-2014, 07:44 AM
The rumored screen size on the iphone 6 (smaller size) is 4.7 which to me would be the max size I would want in a phone. I feel that the current 5, 5s, 5c screen size is a tad on the small size but I don't want anything that is a pain to carry around like some of the Samsung phones seem to be.

I do quite a bit of internet browsing on my phone when out and about though so increased screen real estate appeals to me.

Johnny Alien
08-12-2014, 07:54 AM
well the 5c was technically better than the iphone 5. I think battery was better amongst other things. Sure it didnt look as premium.

I dunno what apple is going to do but since the 5c was not really a big sucess I wouldnt be surprised if they kept the 5s for a minute.

The 5C and the 5 are almost exactly the same. The battery has a slight boost in talk and internet use time (very slight) but for music and video playback it's rated the same. The front FaceTime camera was a slight update on the 5C but beyond that everything else is 100% the same as the 5.

The 5C is a product of the "new" post-Jobs Apple. Jobs always said they didn't "need" a cheaper iphone because they would always offer the last year model for $99. With the 5C they are still offering the last year model by specs but making it more affordable to produce with the plastic back. It's all about profit vs what is the best product to offer. That said I happen to really like the 5C. My son has one and the cool colors and sturdy back are something I actually kinda like.

I hope they keep something like it in the offering but they may go back to just offering the last year model for cheaper.

jimoots
08-12-2014, 08:21 PM
If you can stave off till the iPhone 6 comes out, that would be ideal. Apple do a really good job at supporting their iPhones... the latest iOS typically supports four previous models. I think this year the iPhone is being orphaned with the introduction of iOS8.

If that makes no sense, basically you can get up to four years of use out of your device with the 'latest and greatest' iPhone operating system. Premium user experience.

More realistically, you can use your phone for the duration of your two-year contract without it feeling old. If you buy on release day, you'll get an update 12 months in to 'refresh' your phone.

Which is pretty good. Android phones rarely deliver that sort of customer experience as the updates rely on manufacturers and carriers to implement. I remember reading an article once that said Android devices typically stop getting supported with O/S updates after around 3 months.

But what I'm saying is that if you wait a month you will potentially get an extra year of use/utility out of the phone.

r_mutt
08-12-2014, 09:56 PM
wait a month and get a 6 and be done with it. it's a no-brainer.

Elefantino
08-12-2014, 10:25 PM
A bigger iPhone would look awful on the stems of those who use them as Garmin substitutes. I've seen the Galaxy 4 case and it looks like it's for a laptop.

Asudef
08-12-2014, 11:01 PM
In a similar boat as I paid a premium on the used market for an unlocked 4S.

Luckily theres been no issues so far except my battery has died at inopportune times and generally doesn't last more than a day.

Can't decide whether to get a 5S, pay out the butt for the 6 or just jump ship and get a WinPhone or Android.

R3awak3n
08-12-2014, 11:12 PM
A bigger iPhone would look awful on the stems of those who use them as Garmin substitutes. I've seen the Galaxy 4 case and it looks like it's for a laptop.

all phones look awful mounted to a stem...

oldpotatoe
08-13-2014, 06:37 AM
I think the best phone for someone that doesn't do much with one is the cheapest iphone going. A $20 iPhone 5c would be way more phone than you need at very little cost.

Edit:
I should have said, more than you need, but very easy to use. A nexus is another great option.

Got my Iphone 5c for $50...since I already was hooked with Verizon for Iphone 4...works great and durable..no case, dropped it a few times..

Johnny Alien
08-13-2014, 06:39 AM
Can't decide whether to get a 5S, pay out the butt for the 6 or just jump ship and get a WinPhone or Android.

I get to mess with tons of phones as part of a test suite for mobile development and while there are good Android phones I have never warmed to the Windows phones. There are just too many bizarre decisions made with that OS, lots of times just for the sake of visual design. If you go Android try to get any phone that runs pure Android. There are like at least 2-3 I think with the Nexus being the main one (although that line is being dropped so I am not sure what will replace that). Not only will you get the best Android experience you will also be able to keep it constantly updated with the newest build without having to wait for your provider to skin it and release it which never ever seems to happen. You could also jailbreak any Android phone and do the same thing of course.

Johnny Alien
08-13-2014, 06:40 AM
Also the Nexus line managed to do something no one else has done. Sell off contract phones at a reasonable price.

syxxl
08-19-2014, 02:25 PM
Depends on how big the screen you want to have.

从我的 iPhone 发送,使用 Tapatalk

HillDancer
08-19-2014, 04:40 PM
I currently do not own an iPhone (nor a SmartPhone of any sort). I'm way overdue to get one. In fact, it would be especially handy if I got one before mid-September, because there's an industry conference I'm attending next month where it will be extremely important (if not mandatory) to have messaging, email, and GPS functions in a mobile device...I don't give a crap about being an "early adopter" or having the latest, greatest, modt up-to-date hardware...

...If you go Android try to get any phone that runs pure Android...

Consider the Moto G from Republic Wireless (https://republicwireless.com/phones/moto-g). Bob Ross could purchase the phone, add a $25 dollar plan, and test the waters at his conference. If he continued to have iPhone lust afterward, the phone could be returned for refund before the end of the 30 day trial period with no contract obligations. The phone runs basic Android as Johnny Alien suggests. Ralph could add a $10 plan and use Wi-Fi whenever he feels like doing much with a smartphone.