PDA

View Full Version : nutrition question

MadRocketSci
08-10-2014, 03:26 PM
So the biggest difference

Between this:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51WJOOEM1FL._SY300_.jpg

and this:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-cK0iWqgBmrk/UCw2HYITwnI/AAAAAAAAB1c/-dgrMJRAppM/s320/genergy.JPG

is price, as far as i can tell. One is $1.75 for a box of ten packets at Target, the other is like $1 per packet. both have similar sugary calorie content.

Beside the extra salt, which i can substitute another source of, are the 20% B-vitamins actually going to do something for me during a 3 hour ride? I can swipe a flintstone vitamin from my kid when he's not looking if it helps.

I prefer these to gels.

Dead Man
08-10-2014, 03:42 PM
Yep... this is what I do. The wife gets HUGE boxes of Motts from Costo, along with these 100% natural, vegan-approved, kosher, free-range, corn-fed, no additives, bla bla bla gummie worms.

Work great for me.

I do like Shot Bloks for caffeine sometimes, though.

dustyrider
08-10-2014, 04:31 PM
... along with these 100% natural, vegan-approved, kosher, free-range, corn-fed, no additives, bla bla bla gummie worms.

Can I get the name of these please? I love me some gummies on the bike!

rnhood
08-10-2014, 05:18 PM
You get plenty of B vitamins from your normal diet so, unless you have a known deficiency (which would likely be B12) it has no advantage for you. In fact the body is very inefficient absorbing B12 from a supplement. Eat a health diet and you're good for the long haul. The liver actually stores about 5 years worth of B12.

On the road, sugar is your friend and your body doesn't really care what chain of sugar it is.

cnighbor1
08-10-2014, 05:21 PM
Yep... this is what I do. The wife gets HUGE boxes of Motts from Costo, along with these 100% natural, vegan-approved, kosher, free-range, corn-fed, no additives, bla bla bla gummie worms.

Work great for me.

I do like Shot Bloks for caffeine sometimes, though.

Costo try their natural energy bars lots nuts etc. work for me and you get 50 or so for a bargain

MadRocketSci
08-10-2014, 06:04 PM
You get plenty of B vitamins from your normal diet so, unless you have a known deficiency (which would likely be B12) it has no advantage for you. In fact the body is very inefficient absorbing B12 from a supplement. Eat a health diet and you're good for the long haul. The liver actually stores about 5 years worth of B12.

On the road, sugar is your friend and your body doesn't really care what chain of sugar it is.

Cool, too lazy to make homeade gel, too cheap to actually eat any $1 gels on a ride unless I'm bonking. These Motts cheapo chews are a great convenient sugar smack for < 20 cents each.

Regular food pre/postride.

cinema
08-10-2014, 06:11 PM
yep... This is what i do. The wife gets huge boxes of motts from costo, along with these 100% natural, vegan-approved, kosher, free-range, corn-fed, no additives, bla bla bla gummie worms.

gummie worms-i thought i was the only one!

Splash
08-10-2014, 06:15 PM

Given this information, how effective are bananas on long bike rides then?

Splash

Louis
08-10-2014, 06:23 PM
Is some thread drift OK? Here goes:

Assuming I don't have any stomach issues (that I know of) should I be taking a daily aspirin? I keep hearing how much good that does for some many things, but I haven't bothered to do it. Any thoughts on this? (assuming I do a bit more research and get a low-level dose, not a full-size adult pill)

http://www.webmd.com/men/features/aspirin-day-not

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/heart-disease/in-depth/daily-aspirin-therapy/art-20046797

TIA

Splash
08-11-2014, 03:38 PM
Is sugar preferred over bananas for long rides?

SPlash

MadRocketSci
08-11-2014, 04:03 PM

SPlash

I would guess a banana is preferred, but for these fruit chews it's more of a convenience factor, a way to get a small dose of quick carbs during a ride. Banana has some space, mush, jersey pocket life and waste management issues. But more power if they work for you.

http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/82/0f/52/820f526af6dc24cda8b67b3ddf688532.jpg

Splash
08-11-2014, 04:06 PM
Thanks.

Given 'rnhood' post #4, I am still curious if the banana is still needed in terms of B12 input required on long rides??

Splash

rnhood
08-11-2014, 04:11 PM

SPlash

Bananas, oranges, Cliff bars, boiled potatoes, Snickers bar, sport drinks, etc are just some of the ways your body can get sugar. Higher glycemic foods (like baked potatoes, white bread, bananas, waffles, etc) increase blood sugar a little quicker. Lower glycemic foods increase blood sugar a little slower. Generally speaking, and imho since I'm no expert, glycemic load is more important in cycling than the glycemic index. If you're going to burn 2000 calories on a ride then you need to take in 2000 calories - with high glycemic load foods, high glycemic index foods, low index foods, etc. The aggregate should supply 2000 calories. If you prefer to only eat once then eat a high load. If, like me you prefer to eat often then higher index foods may be called for.

On metrics and centuries, I aim to get calories any which way I can. No food discrimination. I focus on nutrition during the three main meals. For really long rides consistent with randonneuring, a slightly different approach may be called for since we don't want to leave nutrition out of our daily routines.

Edit: I don't know if bananas provide B12 but you should be getting the B12 that you need through your normal diet, not the typical energy food (sugars/fructose) that typifies fuel on the ride. I would imagine that if you have a B12 problem then you're probably anemic.

ojingoh
08-11-2014, 04:14 PM
Thanks.

Given 'rnhood' post #4, I am still curious if the banana is still needed in terms of B12 input required on long rides??

Splash

IANAN (I am not a nutritionist) but I believe one eats bananas for the fructose and the potassium, both of which are required for muscle energy. Also since it's a real food nutrients and water in it get absorbed more fully.

Splash
08-11-2014, 04:25 PM
Great - thanks for the explanation.

SPlash

Ralph
08-11-2014, 05:22 PM

This is what I believe. Studies have proved a trained cyclist is faster taking in sugar water on a ride, VS water, even if he is not even close to being out of gas. Since sugar is sugar, to me the easiest way to get it is from my water bottle. 51 oz of Gatorade powder is a little over $8 at my grocery store (I'm cheap), and it has the sugar, the sodium, and some potassium. And 51 oz of powder lasts a long time. After a pre ride meal, will usually eat something like fig bars at stops on a 30-40 mile ride. Fig bar nutritional content similar to Power Bar and cheap (Bo-Go's). On a much longer ride, I've been known to drink a coke for the sugar and caffeine (speeds up absorbtion of sugar) or Candy bar, and a bag of salty chips. Gatorade and most of the other sports drinks only has about 150 MG of sodium per serving, and I don't mind taking closer to 2000 mg sodium after 4-5 hours of sweating (salty chips or peanuts). Gatorade does have 45 MG potassium per serving, but you don't need to add much of that.

Off the bike I'm picky about my diet. Am 73, and on no meds. Not interested in having sugar raise blood sugar levels. So I avoid all foods with added sugar. But on the bike.....my riding buds show no mercy and in Florida, you never stop pedaling. While I can ride OK for a couple hours without fuel, can go much faster with steady fuel. And BTW.....my group rides about as fast in our 60's and 70's as we ever did. So we're not just pedaling down a trail at 10 MPH. Being retired helps I guess.

Ralph
08-11-2014, 05:42 PM
IANAN (I am not a nutritionist) but I believe one eats bananas for the fructose and the potassium, both of which are required for muscle energy. Also since it's a real food nutrients and water in it get absorbed more fully.

Doubt it.... about being absorbed more fully. But not arguing benefit of good eating and real good foods VS fueling for a fast ride. Good nutrition habits are so important for good health.

But.....On the bike and when working hard, I want fuel that goes straight to my small intestine, so it can be absorbed almost immediately. Not held in my stomach in a slurry for slow absorbtion. I can add some slow absorbtion fuel (banana or fig bars) every couple hours to suppliment a sugar water.

Ralph
08-11-2014, 05:58 PM
Is some thread drift OK? Here goes:

Assuming I don't have any stomach issues (that I know of) should I be taking a daily aspirin? I keep hearing how much good that does for some many things, but I haven't bothered to do it. Any thoughts on this? (assuming I do a bit more research and get a low-level dose, not a full-size adult pill)

http://www.webmd.com/men/features/aspirin-day-not

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/heart-disease/in-depth/daily-aspirin-therapy/art-20046797

TIA

I don't....and I'm an old guy and in the age group most likely to benefit. If I go down and get hurt bad with a lot of bleeding, want my blood to clot. Also.....have known other old guys to have serious stomach issues from even baby aspirin. However.....on our rides....we do carry some aspirin to put under tongue of anyone we suspect is having a heart attach while we're awaiting an ambulance. That can save your life....and have known it to do so. Just tell EMS people you did it.