PDA

View Full Version : R500 cone shot to crap - replace, or new hubs?

Dead Man
08-10-2014, 02:24 AM
Howdy

I've got a set of old but still great condition r500s that I use for training and screwing around in the dirt and gravel on my cross bike. Noticing the hubs had gone a bit loose, I went to repack and/or rebearing, and discovered the freehub side cone was pitted all to crap. Totally shot.

Local bike shops scratch their head when I ask about getting a replacement. Anyone have any ideas, or should I be reading up on wheel lacing? I've got a pair of 105 hubs on my shelf that I've been saving for just such an event

Russity
08-10-2014, 04:27 AM
It shouldn't be hard to find a replacement cone!!! Your local bike shop should have access to the Shimano web-tech documents (as does anyone with access to the internet) and then just look up your wheelset, check the part number and order it up from Shimano. I must do this about twice a week in the shop I work in. Not hard at all?

I have attached four pdf files of the ones I found, and this should help. If your wheelset isn't any of these, I suggest going here: http://si.shimano.com/#models/1915 and having a look yourself.

oldpotatoe
08-10-2014, 06:02 AM
Howdy

I've got a set of old but still great condition r500s that I use for training and screwing around in the dirt and gravel on my cross bike. Noticing the hubs had gone a bit loose, I went to repack and/or rebearing, and discovered the freehub side cone was pitted all to crap. Totally shot.

Local bike shops scratch their head when I ask about getting a replacement. Anyone have any ideas, or should I be reading up on wheel lacing? I've got a pair of 105 hubs on my shelf that I've been saving for just such an event

Replace a wheel for a $7 cone???..find another LBS or go online. shimano hub cones, altho they seem to be unique wheel/hub to wheel/hub, are not that hard to find.

Dead Man
08-10-2014, 04:03 PM
Not looking to replace the wheel, just the cone (or the hub, if the cone is truly unobtainable)- problem is, that cone seems to be vapor.

Doesn't seem to be available anywhere... not the specific cone I need. Maybe a different cone would work? How would you ever know?

Y-3AE 03100 appears to be the cone.... sold out everywhere I've seen, in the few places even advertising having it

Russity
08-10-2014, 04:31 PM
Before trying to hunt down the cone alone, also just check that the inside of the hub isn't badly pitted as well. If it is, then a new hub might be the way to go. At least you'll get the complete thing and hubs these days are pretty cheap.

lemondvictoire
08-11-2014, 09:00 AM
No dealer sells the cones in the USA and found some here: moruyabicycles.com.au/contents/en-uk/d928_shimano-cone-axle-rear.html or in the UK there are few sellers that are still stocking the cones or axle kit. I had to order a axle kit to rebuild my R540 front wheel and cost was approx $32 shipped to USA. Not cheap but I was able to make my wheel new again....:)

oldpotatoe
08-11-2014, 09:27 AM
No dealer sells the cones in the USA and found some here: moruyabicycles.com.au/contents/en-uk/d928_shimano-cone-axle-rear.html or in the UK there are few sellers that are still stocking the cones or axle kit. I had to order a axle kit to rebuild my R540 front wheel and cost was approx $32 shipped to USA. Not cheap but I was able to make my wheel new again....:)

No dealer??

If shimano USA has em.....do they not? Plus I'll bet Wheels Manufacturing has a replacement cone.

bfd
08-11-2014, 09:40 AM
[

bfd
08-11-2014, 09:41 AM
Not looking to replace the wheel, just the cone (or the hub, if the cone is truly unobtainable)- problem is, that cone seems to be vapor.

Doesn't seem to be available anywhere... not the specific cone I need. Maybe a different cone would work? How would you ever know?

Y-3AE 03100 appears to be the cone.... sold out everywhere I've seen, in the few places even advertising having it

Like OP said, Wheels Mfg has it! You need a rear cone for a M760 hub:

http://wheelsmfg.com/shimano-right-rear-cone-cn-r098-10mm.html

I bet any good LBS either has it or can get it.

Good Luck! :eek::butt::banana:

GeorgeTSquirrel
08-11-2014, 09:44 AM
Replace a wheel for a $7 cone???..find another LBS or go online. shimano hub cones, altho they seem to be unique wheel/hub to wheel/hub, are not that hard to find.

Unless you own an older dynamo hub... like me, then SOL.

I think the problem there is the limited supply of cones for an 11mm axle, although I suppose I might be able use one that is a few tenths of a mm longer and made for a different dynamo hub... even then, I have to order cones from Europe. LOL

Lesson learned, always buy an extra set of cones along with the hub to guarantee you have them when you need them.