PDA

View Full Version : campag gurus, thumbshift button woes

Admiral Ackbar
08-09-2014, 06:34 PM
recently my right/rear centaur lever has not been indexing on upshifts, as in, when i press the thumb "button" it just dumps thru all the gears to the 12t cog. (it will index for the 3 biggest cogs however)

as you can imagine, this is very annoying. i assume the spring/pawl that contacts the ratchet mechanism is sticking, and my questions are: how can i resolve this, and will it involve disassembling the lever?

these are 2010 centaur brifters, powershift/ergopower type

ultraman6970
08-09-2014, 06:37 PM
I believe those have the new body, and so far I know, campagnolo doesnt even sell parts for them. The good news is that a new body is not even that expensive either, then you move the missing pieces from the old lever and ready to go.

70-80 bucks

seppa
08-09-2014, 06:43 PM
It might just be the G spring is worn, you're better off replacing that and the Spring carrier as well though. Campy has videos on youtube taking apart and re assembling a shifter if you want to attempt it yourself. Not difficult but could be pretty time consuming.

thirdgenbird
08-09-2014, 06:43 PM
Darn it, I think I just saw that body on sale somewhere but can't recall where...

It might just be the G spring is worn, you're better off replacing that and the Spring carrier as well though. Campy has videos on youtube taking apart and re assembling a shifter if you want to attempt it yourself. Not difficult but could be pretty time consuming.

Powershift. No g springs.

FlashUNC
08-09-2014, 06:45 PM
If its the Powershift shifters, they're not rebuildable...

You'll likely be on the hunt for a new body assembly.

oldpotatoe
08-09-2014, 06:47 PM
I believe those have the new body, and so far I know, campagnolo doesnt even sell parts for them. The good news is that a new body is not even that expensive either, then you move the missing pieces from the old lever and ready to go.

70-80 bucks

Fairly common problem and yes, no small parts(yes, new shape but probably Powershift, 2011, not 2010 Ultrashift. One higher cog at a time with thumb button, right?

If multi shift to higher gears, Ultrashift, may be just tightening front and rear bolts. Pictures of thumb button please. If 2011 PS, yes, new body and all shift guts for about $70.

oldpotatoe
08-09-2014, 06:48 PM

Starting in 2009, no g springs, no spring carrier, completely different innards.

Admiral Ackbar
08-09-2014, 06:50 PM
yes 1 cog at a time with the thumb shifter. these only have ~3500 miles on them, i can't imagine they would need to replaced after such a short time (only 6 months...)

they are these: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/campagnolo-centaur-red-10-spd-powershift-ergo-carbon-levers/

so 2012, not 2010, my bad.

also they are rebuildable, I've had the lefthand side lever mostly torn down before. getting parts is another story tho

ultraman6970
08-09-2014, 06:58 PM
The new form shifters are piece of cake to take appart and put together comparing them with the old record ones. Wish they had parts for them besides maybe the cable spooler hehe But the new body is not like super expensive either.

oldpotatoe
08-09-2014, 07:11 PM
yes 1 cog at a time with the thumb shifter. these only have ~3500 miles on them, i can't imagine they would need to replaced after such a short time (only 6 months...)

they are these: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/campagnolo-centaur-red-10-spd-powershift-ergo-carbon-levers/

so 2012, not 2010, my bad.

also they are rebuildable, I've had the lefthand side lever mostly torn down before. getting parts is another story tho

3 year warranty, talk to wiggle(heh heh).

Admiral Ackbar
08-09-2014, 07:23 PM
I'm really impatient, and well I've already torn the rear shift mechanism out and I'm going to have a go at rebuilding it back up.

the grease inside was almost non existent and what was there was not very nice looking. so I'm hoping a bit of grease and rebuild will do the trick, and the 2.5mm screw didn't seem very tight compared to when i broke down the lefthand lever.

and thinking about it now, I'm thinking this problem stems from having my bike on the back of my car cursing down the highway about a week ago and driving into a monsoon-style downpour at 75mph.

Admiral Ackbar
08-09-2014, 07:43 PM
annnnndddd it looks like the (plastic) index/cable anchor ring may be shagged.

the valleys between the ratchet teeth were filled with grease and crud, which would explain it not indexing (the 3 low gear teeth were -nearly- clean . and the tips of the teeth are noticeably worn down, albeit only a fraction of a mm, presumably from the index nub dragging over them.

looks like i might end up going the warranty route, or just buy a set of higher tier campag levers. or run shimano levers. or buy a replacement body, or try to find someone with a broken lever with good internals. I'm going to see how the rebuild goes first though

Admiral Ackbar
08-09-2014, 09:16 PM
yep, she's toast : (

anybody know a reliable source for the shifter body replacement? there are a number of places selling them online but i am unfamiliar with all of them, so does anyone have a recommendation?

mccx
08-09-2014, 10:53 PM
If you're going to order online I think AEBike's prices were the lowest I found in a not-very-exhaustive search I did a few weeks ago:

$63 Powershift: http://www.aebike.com/Campagnolo-CentaurVeloce-Right-10s-Power-Shift-Lever-Body-Assembly_p_42061.html

$77 Ultrashift (I think you'd need a new hood): http://www.aebike.com/Campagnolo-Centaur-Ultra-Shift-Lever-Body-Assembly_p_32905.html

oldpotatoe
08-10-2014, 06:15 AM
If you're going to order online I think AEBike's prices were the lowest I found in a not-very-exhaustive search I did a few weeks ago:

$63 Powershift: http://www.aebike.com/Campagnolo-CentaurVeloce-Right-10s-Power-Shift-Lever-Body-Assembly_p_42061.html

$77 Ultrashift (I think you'd need a new hood): http://www.aebike.com/Campagnolo-Centaur-Ultra-Shift-Lever-Body-Assembly_p_32905.html

That's pretty standard pricing for PS...about $65..US is normally about $85..