PDA

View Full Version : We chewed up your Chorus cassette, but we care

mvrider
08-09-2014, 02:33 PM
After several positive experiences with ordering stuff from the UK, I had my first bad experience, courtesy of the USPS. The cassette arrived in my mailbox in a plastic bag, on which was printed "We Care". Inside was a chewed up outer box, a chewed up Campy box, and a cassette that was missing a spacer. The plastic hub that the cassette usually ships on was chewed up and torn in two.

Though there was no visible damage to the cogs themselves, I didn't want to risk the possibility of latent damage (I could only imagine what shredder this box went through). The folks at PBK were nice enough to take back the cassette, without any hassle. I had to pay for return postage, though.

Full album here (https://picasaweb.google.com/112227674531901972961/201407201229Cassette?authkey=Gv1sRgCMn99O7rnKiLgAE ).

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-bsKNGUtAC6s/U9B-c_LigmI/AAAAAAAACr8/5x-ZQZbjgE0/s1024/P1050539.jpg

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-zFrKEB1moI4/U9B-grPwHqI/AAAAAAAACsk/7XgFX3eKEBQ/s1024/P1050549.jpg

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-oVhu0s7A9sM/U9B-f0AiBFI/AAAAAAAACsc/I7yIpDPpt7c/s1024/P1050546.jpg

Other parts arrived from Ribble intact, possibly because they were sent Express. On the other hand, I had to drive across town during working hours to pick it up.

VTCaraco
08-09-2014, 03:19 PM
Why not hold USPS responsible?

I would have imagined, given the admission of responsibility via the sticker, that they would have made it right.
I had a damaged box arrive through a Paceline transaction. Reported it immediately and found USPS to be both prompt and receptive in making it right.

likebikes
08-09-2014, 03:28 PM
cassette looks fine.

parris
08-09-2014, 04:11 PM
I would've put a claim in with usps. Several years ago the letter carrier left an oversize box between our storm and regular door because it was windy. I came home to find the storm door folded back against the house and the force was great enough to actually break the entryway framing. It was a pita to deal with but eventually usps ended up paying to replace what they damaged.

CunegoFan
08-09-2014, 04:43 PM
So the only real damage was a missing spacer, which you can take from a used cassette...

velotrack
08-09-2014, 05:17 PM
So the only real damage was a missing spacer, which you can take from a used cassette...

Still doesn't make it okay to have it come in this way. I think being dissatisfied or annoyed is not unfounded at all. Likely you'd feel the same way.

cnighbor1
08-09-2014, 05:26 PM
I ordered a single cog once shipped via USPS The sender put it in a cardboard envelope mailer. It went thru the canceling machine. all I got was empty envelope with the rear seam sliced open. The cog must have gone FLYING out the rear causing the open seam !!!
Moto pack those components in a stout box

Black Dog
08-09-2014, 05:32 PM

Yep. This. It's a cassette. Hard to damage.

cash05458
08-09-2014, 05:34 PM
"Still doesn't make it okay to have it come in this way. I think being dissatisfied or annoyed is not unfounded at all. Likely you'd feel the same way."

well, I work for USPS...things do happen just as they do for every delivery service...how would you like to see it arrive if something occurs?

tiretrax
08-09-2014, 06:09 PM
Must have been delivered by LA.

How did you get PBK to take care of it, and not USPS or the shipper?

witcombusa
08-09-2014, 06:14 PM
I'd have found a spacer and mounted her up and gone for a ride. Why pay for return shipping when it was not damaged? Yes the box was shredded, OK.
The parts you bought were not.

Manure happens

SlackMan
08-09-2014, 07:24 PM
Last week I received a package similarly wrapped from USPS with the apology note. Only mine was totally unrelated to either what I ordered or anything the seller had sold on eBay. It's as if they just picked up my torn off address label and attached it to some other package that didn't have a label, regardless whether it was actually my package.

mtechnica
08-09-2014, 07:36 PM
My favorite was the empty box I received with a huge hole in it and a not that basically said sorry.

CunegoFan
08-09-2014, 09:58 PM
Last week I received a package similarly wrapped from USPS with the apology note. Only mine was totally unrelated to either what I ordered or anything the seller had sold on eBay. It's as if they just picked up my torn off address label and attached it to some other package that didn't have a label, regardless whether it was actually my package.

Did you get anything good?

cinema
08-09-2014, 10:24 PM
My favorite was the empty box I received with a huge hole in it and a not that basically said sorry.

Lol. once i ordered sunglasses. came via usps. took 2 months i had written it off as lost but eventually i did get the package. Had been run over repeatedly with tire tracks on it and taped back together. inside was a used epson printer cartridge.

Louis
08-09-2014, 11:34 PM
1) You would have been able to tell if the cassette had been damaged in any way just by looking at it.

2) Any decent LBS would have given you a spacer for free. It might have been a bit used, but I can't imagine that that would affect the performance of the spacer in any meaningful way.

3) Yes, the torn-up boxes look horrible, but it seems to me that there might not have been any real issues with the condition of the product. There was probably a simpler way to solve the problem than sending the stuff all the way back to England.

mvrider
08-09-2014, 11:50 PM
1) You would have been able to tell if the cassette had been damaged in any way just by looking at it.

I had just paid $138 for a brand-new cassette. For that money, I didn't want an undamaged, but mistreated cassette. Might as well have bought a used one.

2) Any decent LBS would have given you a spacer for free. It might have been a bit used, but I can't imagine that that would affect the performance of the spacer in any meaningful way.

Yup, I called my LBS, and they offered to look for one for me.

3) Yes, the torn-up boxes look horrible, but it seems to me that there might not have been any real issues with the condition of the product. There was probably a simpler way to solve the problem than sending the stuff all the way back to England.

ProBikeKit approved the return with a click of a button, a short note, and an attached photo. I only had 5 days to make a claim with them, and I didn't want to wait for the outcome of the USPS claim to see what might happen. For whatever reason, PBK only issues returns, not exchanges.

Do the folks who recommend making claims with USPS know if insurance matters? To my knowledge, PBK did not insure the package.

Louis
08-09-2014, 11:58 PM
I had just paid $138 for a brand-new cassette. For that money, I didn't want an undamaged, but mistreated cassette. Might as well have bought a used one.

I agree - you had spent good money for something new, and therefore you wanted something new.

Other than saving a bit on the shipping back to PBK, probably the only real reason to keep the "original" cassette would have been if you needed it right away for an upcoming ride. If you weren't in a rush, then sending it back was a reasonable thing to do.

cash05458
08-10-2014, 02:02 AM
If it didn't have insurance there can be no claim with USPS...

buldogge
08-10-2014, 09:00 AM
Gonna be a hard insurance claim…

You (collective) are assuming it didn't arrive from Royal Mail/Parcelforce that way, at which point USPS buttoned it up with the plastic bag and notice.

I understand the want for "new and unmolested"…but…I agree, I would have just used a extra spacer.

-Mark in St. Louis

Netdewt
08-10-2014, 09:26 AM
I once sold a piece of electronics on eBay in excellent shape, in box, all original everything. I sent USPS to save money as it was not very expensive. Buyer claimed the box arrived torn up and taped up, with only a beat up USB cord inside. I can only assume it was stolen by a postal worker. This is why I send UPS now whenever possible.

At least you got a note?

SlackMan
08-10-2014, 02:10 PM
Did you get anything good?

Some books, including one on "channeling your inner guide." It's good for a laugh and I'll use it to play some gags on friends (sorry if this comment offends anyone who channels!)

Saint Vitus
08-11-2014, 10:06 AM
I once sold a piece of electronics on eBay in excellent shape, in box, all original everything. I sent USPS to save money as it was not very expensive. Buyer claimed the box arrived torn up and taped up, with only a beat up USB cord inside. I can only assume it was stolen by a postal worker. This is why I send UPS now whenever possible.

At least you got a note?

I've had better luck shipping USPS than both FedEx or UPS... Anecdotal yes, but true for me at least.

bikingshearer
08-11-2014, 01:22 PM
On the flip side, it's good to hear that PBK stands behind its sales.

Lewis Moon
08-11-2014, 01:55 PM

Got one of those, too. The seller had packed it in a real POS box that just disintegrated. Take home message: Pack it exceedingly well and insure (if you are the shipper). If not: be prepared to eat it.

bagochips3
08-11-2014, 02:24 PM
"well, I work for USPS...things do happen just as they do for every delivery service...how would you like to see it arrive if something occurs?

Like this (I received this today from Amazon for something being shipped via FedEx):

Hello,

We have been contacted by the shipper regarding order #XXXXXXXX and it appears that the package was damaged in transit. We're sorry for any inconvenience this causes.

To ensure you receive your item(s) as soon as possible, we've created a new order (#XXXXXXXX) which will be shipped to the same destination, at no additional charge to you. You should receive confirmation of this shipment soon.

There's no need to worry about your original shipment -- we've contacted the carrier and they should be returning it to us instead of delivering it to you. If, however, you should receive a duplicate shipment, please visit http://www.amazon.com/returns to print a postage-paid mailing label to return the extra shipment at our expense.

We hope to see you again soon.

Sincerely,

Customer Service Department