PDA

View Full Version : Cycling shoe advice please

macaroon
08-09-2014, 12:24 PM
I thought I'd found my perfect pair of cycling shoes in the Fizik R3, they felt really comfy and seemed to suit the shape of my foot (quite narrow, high arches).

However' I've been having issues with them since I bought them and today I swapped back to my old Sidi Ergo 2s. Voila, no more issues. I jsut put a higher arch support in my footbeds since the Sidis have no arch support built in. They feel great.

My Sidis are old and battered though, so I could do with replacing them. Question is, what with?

Sidis? If so, which ones?
Shimano? Had them before and they were comfy
I like the look of Lake, but would they fit my feet?

DMT Vega 2.0?

Admiral Ackbar
08-09-2014, 01:13 PM
if the sidis work for you, that seems like the best option.

i have pretty average feet that are narrow-ish in the toes and i really, really like the mavic zxelliums i recently picked up. they have a pretty decent arch in them too, at least compared to my olddd special ed shoes.

zap
08-09-2014, 02:25 PM
Sidi Ergo 2=Sidi Wire.

Lovetoclimb
08-09-2014, 02:58 PM
Been seeing several blowout "sales" of Sidi around, mostly UK based websites (PBK, Wiggle, the usual suspects). Something to the tune of %30-50 off MSRP which brings them within the price range of most other brands top end shoes. If you look around you can usually find Ergo 2s for pennies! This time of year it seems road shoes are on the bargain bin because people are beginning to push cross stuff and anticipating what is coming for next year's road tech stuff. Interbike, Eurobike, etc.

I agree with the others that if your feet like the Sidis stick with the brand. Especially the model of the shoe if possible. I have found the Giro Prolight to be quite agreeable with my feet, more so with cheap heat moldable insoles. That said the "updates" they made from 2012/13 model to most recent made them less comfortable but still ok.

macaroon
08-10-2014, 06:44 AM
Tempted to go for Sidis again, what're the Ergo 3 like? Same fit as the Ergo 2?

I'm a 46 in Sidi, what size for the Zxelliums? I used to have an old pair of Adidas Adistar which were the same as the old Zxelliums. A 46 was too bid so I sold them. Is the sizing still the same? I'd imagine I'd need a 45.5 in that case.

They look like a good option since plenty of places are selling them at a reduced price.

cash05458
08-10-2014, 07:19 AM
if the Sidi's are working...why not stay with 'em...I personally love Northwave stuff...could give those a try...Northwave evolutions are super comfy...added esoles and I found the perfect shoes (for my feet of course)...

macaroon
10-31-2014, 08:12 AM
I thought I'd resurrect this thread since I have another question. I've tried some Shimano R170's size 46 and they were a bit too big. I've tried some Mavic Zxelliums and they were a bit too tight, plus the cleat holes are really far forwards.

So DMT shoes; looking at the Vega 2.0. Can anyone advise as to how they fit compared to Sidi?

macaroon
11-02-2014, 05:24 AM
A bump and another question!

Sidis: Genius 6.6 or Ergo 3?

oldpotatoe
11-02-2014, 05:47 AM
I thought I'd found my perfect pair of cycling shoes in the Fizik R3, they felt really comfy and seemed to suit the shape of my foot (quite narrow, high arches).

However' I've been having issues with them since I bought them and today I swapped back to my old Sidi Ergo 2s. Voila, no more issues. I jsut put a higher arch support in my footbeds since the Sidis have no arch support built in. They feel great.

My Sidis are old and battered though, so I could do with replacing them. Question is, what with?

Sidis? If so, which ones?
Shimano? Had them before and they were comfy
I like the look of Lake, but would they fit my feet?

DMT Vega 2.0?

Like other places where you 'touch' the bike, butt, feet, hands(handlebars), if Sidi works, get Sidis..

I'd say the last for the shoe is the same, go to bike shop, try some on, buy at price point you want to spend, buy at bike shop.

Ralph
11-02-2014, 06:00 AM
I like higher end Specialized. I pronate a lot, and they have a built in almost orthotic foot bed. Maybe too much for some. Just right for me. Local bike shop has a good selection.

ultraman6970
11-02-2014, 07:13 AM
THe op talks about issues with the fizik shoes, what kind of issues?

LJohnny
11-02-2014, 11:31 AM
Sidi wire have a tad more room than ergo 2. Really worth a look and in my experience worth the extra $. As it was mentioned above several places offer them for a price that is very close to that of the ergo3.

I have Fizik R1 and R3SL around and I find that the sidi wire fit more like the r1 in the toe box. For some reason the R3SL do fit differently. I need to double check, but I think I have different sizes on R1 vs R3SL. Oh, and these are from the previous generation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lionel
11-02-2014, 11:52 AM
I wear 47 in Genius and Ergo. I got wire in 46.5. YMMV.

macaroon
11-02-2014, 12:35 PM
Thanks all for further advice. I think the Wires are a bit expensive and I know the Ergos and Genius's fit well. Cant decide between velcro or the ergo wheely thing. Or DMT since these are a bit cheaper, cant find much info on sizing though.

THe op talks about issues with the fizik shoes, what kind of issues?

I had a pair of the mk1 Fiziks that were heavily discounted at a lot of places. The fit was great but I never felt quite "right" with them. Upon inspection I found the soles appeared to be warped, the cleat didn't sit evenly across the sole. Also, the cleat holes were drilled the the slots side to side rather than front to back. I'm assuming they were seconds.

oldpotatoe
11-02-2014, 12:59 PM
I have Sidi Genius 5 and DMT toe box to me much smaller, ymmv.

bluesea
11-02-2014, 01:41 PM
SIDI 6.6 is still a good shoe.

macaroon
11-04-2014, 05:04 PM
Thought I may aswell update this. I got the DMT Vegas, I have only tried them on the trainer, but they're not like any other shoes I've tried.

They fit like a pair of socks, there's not really anything to them. Definitely the most minimal shoes I've had. Size 45.5 which is comparable to a 46 Sidi.

The only thing that I may have an issue with is heel lift. Aside from tha,t I'm looking forward to trying them on the road.

velodadi
11-08-2014, 12:18 PM
I have been trying to get a new pair of shoes lately to take advantage of the sales and to try a speedplay-specific sole. But the sizing is driving me crazy. I have no decent road shops in my area to try on shoes.

I have been riding with Sidi Genius in 43. I can't seem to find the right info to go for a pair of DMT's. I was considering Lake and I sent them a question on sizing. What I found out is that they have you trace out your feet and check the L and W with their chart on their site for the particular shoe you are interested in.

I was amazed to find out my left foot is much wider than my right. No wonder the Sidi on the left foot always got sore and the right never did. The Lake rep suggested a wide Lake shoe but I haven't been able to find them anywhere. and Sidi megas don't have the speedplay sole option. Oh well.

YMMV

quattro
11-08-2014, 05:47 PM
I have been trying to get a new pair of shoes lately to take advantage of the sales and to try a speedplay-specific sole. But the sizing is driving me crazy. I have no decent road shops in my area to try on shoes.

I have been riding with Sidi Genius in 43. I can't seem to find the right info to go for a pair of DMT's. I was considering Lake and I sent them a question on sizing. What I found out is that they have you trace out your feet and check the L and W with their chart on their site for the particular shoe you are interested in.

I was amazed to find out my left foot is much wider than my right. No wonder the Sidi on the left foot always got sore and the right never did. The Lake rep suggested a wide Lake shoe but I haven't been able to find them anywhere. and Sidi megas don't have the speedplay sole option. Oh well.

YMMV

Contact Jamie Yakubowicz Stage Race Distribution (Lake distributor in US)/ jamie.stagerace@gmail.com / www.stage-race.com / 607-342-2083, he should be able to hook you up with a pair of wide Lake shoes, he was very helpful when I was looking for Lakes, good luck!

velodadi
11-09-2014, 10:49 AM
Q,

Yes, he is the person at Lake I spoke to. They don't make a wide shoe with a Speedplay sole.

V