PDA

View Full Version : OT - New "portable" computer advice

Bruce K
08-09-2014, 07:03 AM
Thinking it's time to get a new computer

Debating between new laptop or 2-in-1

Trying to stay under $800 and less is better

I want at least 1 USB connection as part of this

I am not a fan of the new Windows. I have it in a desktop and many of the apps are misbehaving but everything in the house is PC/Windows

Thoughts?

BK

oldpotatoe
08-09-2014, 08:15 AM
Thinking it's time to get a new computer

Debating between new laptop or 2-in-1

Trying to stay under $800 and less is better

I am not a fan of the new Windows. I have it in a desktop and many of the apps are misbehaving but everything in the house is PC/Windows

Thoughts?

BK

ipad..wife had a Apple laptop, a titanium..got a Ipad...laptop is closed, turned off...I have a old Apple laptop, wife got latest gen Ipad, I got her old Ipad..my laptop is on the floor, turned off.

Len J
08-09-2014, 08:23 AM
I have win 8.1 w office 365 small business premium and I really like it. 8.1 is better than 8. Boot to desktop.

I've got my eyes on a Surface Pro 3. A little (or a lot, depending on config) out of your price range though.

iPad is great, unless you need to create content IME.

Len

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Climb01742
08-09-2014, 08:30 AM
Been using, and loving, Apple stuff since the first Mac and I can honestly say the iPad on which I'm writing this is the single worst thing apple has ever made. Too many usability compromises. IMO, avoid like the plague.

Maybe consider a MacBook Air? They are now as low as $899. Far, far better than iPads. My wife loves her Air.

markie
08-09-2014, 08:51 AM
My technology fearful parents got an iPad and it is great for them. It is easy to surf and FaceTime and I guess that is all they do and all they want to do.

thirdgenbird
08-09-2014, 08:52 AM
I love my ipad.

Like stated, it's not great (sucks) for creation but outside of work, it's my main computing device. I've used a laptop (outside of work) probably twice in the last 18 months. The ipad is a great consumption device.

I've got a beef with apple right now but it's mainly centered around their laptops. Not am issue here.

oldpotatoe
08-09-2014, 08:57 AM
My technology fearful parents got an iPad and it is great for them. It is easy to surf and FaceTime and I guess that is all they do and all they want to do.

Yup, email, paceline, facetime with grand kids, games for grand kids, spokcalc, music in shop, e-reader, starwars angry birds...not for designing the second stage of a mars lander...or making the second scene of the next transformers movie(those aren't real???)...but for $the $, all included computer, hard to beat, IMHO.

bewheels
08-09-2014, 09:23 AM
To the OP - A lot depends on what you want to do with a new computer and this will help narrow down the appropriate choices.

You could also look a the Chromebooks. You do can all the email, web surfing, and document creating (Google docs) you want. Depending on how deeply you understand technology you may have to wrap your head around the way things are stored...if this is not something you know about then you will not know the difference. We have one for the house (my wife's machine).
I am in the technology space and can provide more info if you are interested.

Bruce K
08-09-2014, 09:41 AM
I did look at Surface Pro3 the other day

Kind if pricey (I know - new tech) and I might have stretched but doesn't come with Office so kaching, more $$$ still

Surface 2 has Office but no USB

Keep the ideas coming, please

BK

ceolwulf
08-09-2014, 10:38 AM
The iPad is really pretty capable for creating things by now. There are very nice painting and photo editing apps, music editing and recording, movie editing, there's a plethora of text editors, there's an app similar to Scrivener for writing novels/longer form works (you'll want an external keyboard though), you can use it for organizing your life with apps like Trello and a nice selection of calendars, Moneywiz is a very capable personal accounting app, Paprika is fantastic for recipes, etc. File management is still a bit of a nuisance, but the idea that iPad (and presumably Android tablets though I've no experience of those) is exclusively for internet and YouTube is not correct at all anymore. (That said, I wouldn't want one as my only computer, although it would be possible to get by.)

Len J
08-09-2014, 10:55 AM

Kind if pricey (I know - new tech) and I might have stretched but doesn't come with Office so kaching, more $$$ still

BK

I did the office 365 small bus premium subscription thing. My work requires a ton of note taking and the SP3 handwriting recognition on one-note plus the weight is the attractor to me.

I'm too linked to office to consider the MacBook Air as this would require a reduction in functionality (reverting from office 2013 to effectively office 2007).

MS has an educational discount if $150 on SP3 thru Sept. Btw.

As someone else mentioned, what do you intend to use it for? That would help.

Len

93legendti
08-09-2014, 11:16 AM
Ipad. Our laptop computers sit idle. I replaced too many hard drives and lid for too many debugging jobs, even with firewalls and anti-virus program...

I just bought a used iPad mini with 4g and 64gb from Gazelle -$284 shipped. Will buy the no deductible warranty and won't look back.

likebikes
08-09-2014, 11:20 AM
I love love my chromebook.

It's not for everyone, but I love mine.

I don't think the ipad has any usb ports on it.

Len J
08-09-2014, 11:23 AM
I have an iPad mini for browsing, light email, forums and as a kindle reader.

Otoh, for anything requiring creation more than a simple e-mail, have a laptop.

That said, w office 365 SBP, I'm using the auto synch w one note w a regular iPad and linksys keyboard much more for integrated paperless note taking.

It all comes back to what you need it for.

IME.

Len

gomango
08-09-2014, 11:33 AM
I love love my chromebook.

It's not for everyone, but I love mine.

I don't think the ipad has any usb ports on it.

I teach middle school math to 80 12 year olds a day.

They use iPads and Chromebooks every day in the classroom, as most of their curriculum is coming off the web at this point.

They find these devices to be highly engaging and motivating.

No small trick for a 12 year old, let me tell you.

I wish I could say it was all about the teacher, but these devices have turned into outstanding teaching tools in my classroom. They just make it easier for me to get the results I plan and hope for with the students.

In addition, both of these devices have surprised me with their durability.

rnhood
08-09-2014, 11:37 AM
For social scuttlebutt, email, looking at pictures, being a fancy remote for your TV, and checking the price of a new 105 group on-line the iPad works well. For actual computer work like CAD, Photoshop, programming code, music serving, etc., the MacBook Air is a good recommendation. In fact I would recommend the MB Air for about anything as its just got so much more capability with the same long battery life as the iPad. The weight difference is pretty much insignificant nowadays.

If you need a MS based system for work then the newer Levova notebooks are well spec'd and seem to function well.

Climb01742
08-09-2014, 12:13 PM
I'm clearly in the minority, which is cool, but having used both an iPad and MacBook Air, there is absolutely nothing, IMO, that an iPad does better than the Air and many, many things the Air does, or allows you to do, better. iPads are the false triumph of simplicity over ease of use. MB Air is everything an iPad should have been, and the iPad only existed because at the time, MB Airs weren't technically possible. Now that the Air is possible, iPads are the VCR of the Apple world.;):):rolleyes:

Len J
08-09-2014, 12:21 PM
I'm clearly in the minority, which is cool, but having used both an iPad and MacBook Air, there is absolutely nothing, IMO, that an iPad does better than the Air and many, many things the Air does, or allows you to do, better. iPads are the false triumph of simplicity over ease of use. MB Air is everything an iPad should have been, and the iPad only existed because at the time, MB Airs weren't technically possible. Now that the Air is possible, iPads are the VCR of the Apple world.;):):rolleyes:

Until you use an iPad mini. ;-)

dgauthier
08-09-2014, 12:54 PM

Ipad's are nice, but if USB is a requirement, an iPad is not a good recommendation.

None of the iPad models have USB connections per se. Though the iPad's lightning port does connect to a computer via USB, it is only useful for charging and limited kinds of file transfers using iTunes. You can't hook up a USB drive, for example, or any other USB device and have it work.

So (as you indicated) you want a "real" computer. Can you provide more detail about what you need it do?

rugbysecondrow
08-09-2014, 01:00 PM

I agree, the Ipad is a toy more than a tool.

Climb01742
08-09-2014, 01:02 PM
Until you use an iPad mini. ;-)

Great, Len, even less of what I hate!:)

thirdgenbird
08-09-2014, 01:04 PM

But the air has that useless keyboard and redundant touchpad that gets in my way :)

I agree, the Ipad is a toy more than a tool.

Agree. Perfect for playing on the web, emailing, and it even shows some aspiration to grow up by handling my internet banking and note taking.

sitzmark
08-09-2014, 01:10 PM

BK

What is the USB for?

Managing and storing data (or data streaming) that exceeds the storage capacity of an iOS device is possible with cloud storage options (iCloud, DropBox, SkyDrive, BoxNet, etc.). When cellular or WiFi isn't available, managing data on SD/CF cards and USB thumb drives is possible with wireless bluetooth flash readers like Kingston's MobileLite or drives like Seagate's D.A.V.E..

Spent a week touring on the bike and used a MobileLite drive to pull data off of my Garmin and Contour camera to free up space on those devices. Stuffed the MobileLite drive with a 128GB SD card and sucked data from the USB devices using local bluetooth/wifi networking built into the MobileLite and an iPhone app. Still not able to upload the data using iOS to Strava for example. Would have had to pack one of my laptops (Vaio or MB Air) to do that and really didn't want to lug a laptop around.

A relatively new app - "Uploader" - actually makes it possible to upload specific file types to websites. That has been iOS' biggest limit - no resident file management system. But, with Uploader it is finally possible to use the upload button on (some) websites to upload Pages documents or txt files, etc. More websites and file types continue to be added.

More an more data access will be done with bluetooth/WiFi as the technology develops, making the USB less and less important - unless you are moving significant amounts of data, then USB3 is a godsend.

If your USB need is something else, then you're into the already listed options - MacBook Air, Chromebook / "netbook", Surface-like tablets. My wife and I have MB Airs. She uses her Kindle more than the MBA. I use my iPad mini more than my MBA. Use a Mac Mini Server more than anything. With the Mac Mini and MBAs I can run MS Windows directly if I need to. The Sony Vaios haven't been used in over a year. The PC servers ... all thrown out.

Not knowing your application(s), I'd say a Macbook Air/ChromeBook or Surface 3 if you really need a USB port and functionality.

Bruce K
08-09-2014, 01:18 PM
Mostly internet, email, banking, etc

I also want to do stuff for school like lesson planning and Powerpoint / Notebook presentations

Also looking to use it when taking classes for me

I don't really want a new laptop - I'm hoping the 2-in-1 / tablet technology has reached the point where they will easily do all that

BK

dgauthier
08-09-2014, 01:28 PM
BK

If you need to type notes and keep up while someone else is talking, you may not enjoy typing on a tablet. Otherwise, you can (theoretically) do all the other things you mentioned -- you can even get Office complete with Powerpoint on an iPad these days, however, I have not used it. And a Surface, as you probably already know, can be a fully functioning Windows computer if you opt for Windows 8 rather than RT.

It all comes down to whether you can live without a physical keyboard. Also, what's the USB for?

Len J
08-09-2014, 01:33 PM
To do office on an iPad you need to subscribe to office 365.

gomango
08-09-2014, 01:39 PM

I also want to do stuff for school like lesson planning and Powerpoint / Notebook presentations

I don't really want a new laptop - I'm hoping the 2-in-1 / tablet technology has reached the point where they will easily do all that

BK

If your students have iPads you will want to use Nearpod, Prezi, Screenchomp, Keynote and Flowboard. I use these constantly in my classroom and they turn the iPad into a very engaging learning/teaching tool.

Each student in my class has an iPad to use. Our students receive their own to use in middle school and it's part of my job description to provide scaffolding/bridging for the online math curriculum.

The online math curriculum we use is highly interactive and I can't imagine teaching without an iPad at this point.

gomango
08-09-2014, 01:42 PM
To do office on an iPad you need to subscribe to office 365.

I use it everyday, but I am moving quickly in the Google Docs direction.

All of my students use Google Docs everyday, while some still send in coursework via 365.

rugbysecondrow
08-09-2014, 01:48 PM
How does Office 365 compare with the Google Apps suite...they seem pretty similar?

I have a small business endeavor I am launching and beginning to set this stuff up now.

Thanks,

Paul

sitzmark
08-09-2014, 01:57 PM

BK

For those things you mention, you should be able to get by with a tablet. Surface for sure. iPad with something like a Clamcase (http://clamcase.com) and Office for iPad will do about the same, but be a bit more constrained on how you can I/O your data. If you go MB Air, you can access all Office 365 functions from your browser, just not natively running an OSX application. Office 2011 is the latest for that as you noted.

All of the Apple products run Apple's version of Office (Pages, OneNote, Numbers, Keynote) which is free with Mac products and files can be converted to MS versions of the same.

The issue with an iPad is that when you outfit it with the clam case and bluetooth drive, etc., you're in the price range of an MBA which is much more flexible. Me personally - I've gone for the iPad mini when I want something more productive than a smartphone and the MB Air when needing the horsepower of a "real" computer, but still as light/small as possible. The MB Air slides in the back pocket of my notepad folio, so I have access to a computer, iPad, note pad, iPhone, pens, misc in a package not much bigger than the note pad itself .. maybe 3"x9"x12". Covers pretty much every business and personal situation I encounter.

Len J
08-09-2014, 02:06 PM
I use it everyday, but I am moving quickly in the Google Docs direction.

All of my students use Google Docs everyday, while some still send in coursework via 365.

I should have said you can't edit w/o the subscription.

W googles privacy policies, I wouldn't ever use google docs. Just don't trust them. Ymmv.

Len

gomango
08-09-2014, 02:08 PM
How does Office 365 compare with the Google Apps suite...they seem pretty similar?

I have a small business endeavor I am launching and beginning to set this stuff up now.

Thanks,

Paul

Every tool in 365 feels more robust to me, especially coming from a private sector background before I entered the classroom.

I used Office for years.

But my students couldn't care less about that. They are bringing their knowledge of Gmail into the class and are light years ahead of many of us, as they have been collaborating in an online community of one sort or another for years. They routinely work on presentations and documents by sharing them with each other. They can work on these in class and online at home without driving to each other's homes.

They present their work electronically either with me, on Nearpod or on my Smartboard. Docs comes with spreadsheet, presentation and word processing programs that are highly intuitive and work seamlessly with their Gmail accounts.

Our school district is moving rapidly in the Docs direction, so I would expect greater integration with Docs in the years to come.

choke
08-09-2014, 02:11 PM
I recently purchased a Samsung Series 5 laptop and I'm very happy with it. It's pretty small, came with a decent processor/RAM/HD and has 3 USB ports, one of which is USB3.0. It also has Win7....you can still find laptops with it installed.

I've messed with an iPad some and while many here seem to love them, I wouldn't have one if it was free. It seems like a over-sized PDA to me.

Len J
08-09-2014, 02:20 PM

Thanks,

Paul

I'm not as familiar w google docs, (what little I've used shared google docs spreadsheets on the internet I haven't liked (but some of that could be because I'm a power excel user and more familiar w that )) but with office 365 small business premium, you get the ability to synch across multiple devices (up to 5 devices) (I currently have it on 2 P'c's, a regular IPad , a Mini & my iPhone) easily and instantly, you get the desktop version of office 2013 continually updated, & you get the best program (IMO) Microsoft ever wrote; OneNote. In addition you get share point for easy collaboration, an exchange mailbox setup that allows you to use your own domain name, & lync for easy group conferencing. Business comparability w other businesses using office is certain & the whole thing is scalable. I've made the switch for my small business and have gone almost completely paperless. All for $12.50/mo/user (tax deductible) for up to 25 users. Beyond that you can upgrade to the enterprise version that ends up cheaper/user. Having used it for a few months now, I'm sorry I didn't do it sooner.

IMO ymmv

Len

Edit. Good summary here. http://recode.net/2014/04/25/microsoft-office-or-google-docs/

Bruce K
08-09-2014, 02:26 PM
Our district does not have the financial ability to provide iPads for each student and with over. 60% of students on free or subsidized lunches it is out of the reach of a large percentage of families.

I usually have 1 or 2 students in each class with no home internet access and, if they have a home computer, they have no home printer.

I wish I could run a classroom that way but the most interactive I can get is with my Smartboard and Notebook presentations.

Prezi is fun and useful too

I am hoping to use the USB to connect to everything from Garmins to a flash drive for school work

I am not super tech savvy but I get by

BK

gomango
08-09-2014, 02:38 PM
Let me ask you this then.

Does your building have a mobile lab of iPads or a lab with desktops?

If they do, you could still use Nearpod quite effectively.

In addition, an iPad comes with Airserver capability built in and you can untether yourself from the front of the classroom with an iPad. I routinely present math problems from the center of the classroom, beaming them onto the Smartboard. Certainly helps with proximity issues, among a host of other positives. :)

The students love it when they present their solutions to the whole class from their seats using an iPad and Nearpod. Screenchomp works well for that purpose as well.

Again, it's all about student engagement for me. You can't teach them something without having their attention/focus.

Our district does not have the financial ability to provide iPads for each student and with over. 60% of students on free or subsidized lunches it is out of the reach of a large percentage of families.

I usually have 1 or 2 students in each class with no home internet access and, if they have a home computer, they have no home printer.

I wish I could run a classroom that way but the most interactive I can get is with my Smartboard and Notebook presentations.

Prezi is fun and useful too

I am hoping to use the USB to connect to everything from Garmins to a flash drive for school work

I am not super tech savvy but I get by

BK

Len J
08-09-2014, 02:41 PM

Thanks,

Paul

Here is a thoughtful analysis.

http://mobile.betanews.com/betanews/#!/entry/from-google-apps-to-office-365-why-my-company-ditched,52d0631a025312186cb55d9b/1

Len

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

rugbysecondrow
08-09-2014, 03:23 PM
I love One Note, it is a great tool and has allowed me to go nearly paperless as well.

365 sounds like a great step.

Thanks.

I'm not as familiar w google docs, (what little I've used shared google docs spreadsheets on the internet I haven't liked (but some of that could be because I'm a power excel user and more familiar w that )) but with office 365 small business premium, you get the ability to synch across multiple devices (up to 5 devices) (I currently have it on 2 P'c's, a regular IPad , a Mini & my iPhone) easily and instantly, you get the desktop version of office 2013 continually updated, & you get the best program (IMO) Microsoft ever wrote; OneNote. In addition you get share point for easy collaboration, an exchange mailbox setup that allows you to use your own domain name, & lync for easy group conferencing. Business comparability w other businesses using office is certain & the whole thing is scalable. I've made the switch for my small business and have gone almost completely paperless. All for $12.50/mo/user (tax deductible) for up to 25 users. Beyond that you can upgrade to the enterprise version that ends up cheaper/user. Having used it for a few months now, I'm sorry I didn't do it sooner.

IMO ymmv

Len

Edit. Good summary here. http://recode.net/2014/04/25/microsoft-office-or-google-docs/

Len J
08-09-2014, 03:28 PM
I love One Note, it is a great tool and has allowed me to go nearly paperless as well.

365 sounds like a great step.

Thanks.

Take your time thinking thru the various versions. I went with the small business premium due to the availability of the exchange e-mail, the domain integration and easy of synching files between PC and one-drive. But MS has so many versions it's confusing. They are simplifying versions as of 10/1

Also, do a 30 day trial. I did it, set it all up, played w it a bit....took me a week or so and I knew it would work for me.

Len

Edit. Good comparison. http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/business/compare-all-office-365-for-business-plans-FX104051403.aspx

BobbyJones
08-09-2014, 03:37 PM
l'm not a windows user, but I did just do a project with HP's Pavilion X360. (http://shopping.hp.com/en_US/home-office/-/products/Laptops/HP-Pavilion/F8C35AV?HP-Pavilion-11t-n000-x360-PC-ENERGY-STAR-)

Besides the OS and it being a little on the weighty side, it's everything my 11" MacBook Air should be.

Then again, reading this thread I just checked out the Surface. I really wish I had a need for something like the new generation of portables.

paulh
08-09-2014, 03:52 PM
there is absolutely nothing, IMO, that an iPad does better than the Air a

If one is just after purty pictures, right now anyway, isn't the Retina Display better than the currently available Macbook Air display?

Climb01742
08-09-2014, 04:28 PM

BK

Bruce, given your aims, you might find the lack of a real keyboard frustrating. Creating on a tablet is still a challenge, IMO. Is there anyone you can borrow a tablet from to give an extended test drive on? Again, I know I'm in the vocal minority on this but tablets, at least iPads, are still limited. I'd be bummed if you came to this same conclusion after dropping coin on one.

Len J
08-09-2014, 04:33 PM
Bruce, given your aims, you might find the lack of a real keyboard frustrating. Creating on a tablet is still a challenge, IMO. Is there anyone you can borrow a tablet from to give an extended test drive on? Again, I know I'm in the vocal minority on this but tablets, at least iPads, are still limited. I'd be bummed if you came to this same conclusion after dropping coin on one.

/\this.

Climb01742
08-09-2014, 04:33 PM
If one is just after purty pictures, right now anyway, isn't the Retina Display better than the currently available Macbook Air display?

True, side by side in the Apple store, the Retina leaves the regular display lacking but in day to day real life, as nice the Retina is, the regular display is pretty dang nice. Or just wait and Apple will always trickle down the Retina!;)

Bruce K
08-09-2014, 07:55 PM
My son has an iPad. It works great for him but, and you're right James, the lack of a keyboard is s little frustrating.

I'm sure I could get used to working without one but that is why the 2-in-1s are grabbing my attention

BK

gomango
08-09-2014, 08:55 PM
My son has an iPad. It works great for him but, and you're right James, the lack of a keyboard is s little frustrating.

I'm sure I could get used to working without one but that is why the 2-in-1s are grabbing my attention

BK

While my main work computer is a MacBook Pro, my iPad fills in fairly well.

My case on the iPad is from a company called Zagg. I bought the Profolio+ and haven't regretted it for a moment. It has a built in backlit Bluetooth keyboard. I needed this because I hate the built in keyboard on the iPad. The touch is decent on the Zagg and I have typed lesson plans more than once on the device. A nice iPad upgrade.

Just a thought.

bewheels
08-10-2014, 04:12 AM

BK

Some of the iPad cases that have keyboards are pretty nice. Several people I work with use this set up either when traveling or all the time.

Germany_chris
08-10-2014, 08:07 AM
http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/asus-asus-transformer-10-1-32gb-windows-8-1-tablet-with-intel-bay-trail-z3740-quad-core-processor-black-t100ta-rh11t-cb/10274512.aspx

How about something like that??

I live in any thing but Windows world but these (convertable tablest) seem to be the best blend. My old man has one that I'll be installing Linux on when he gets here next week but he's been plenty happy with it.