PDA

View Full Version : Rack on Prius V

giverdada
08-08-2014, 04:14 PM
Put the saris bones 3 on the new Prius V and don't want to screw anything up. Recommendations? Trying for a stable fit that doesn't stress the spoiler while still letting the legs cover more of the area. Tricky stuff. Working on a roof rack.

palincss
08-08-2014, 09:06 PM
Didn't you get a Prius V so you could put the bike inside?

giverdada
08-08-2014, 10:29 PM
Totally. Except we are heading out for a road trip with the little buds and doing a bit of car camping along the way. Inside is getting full fast.

charliedid
08-08-2014, 10:57 PM
Put the "feet" on the bumper...

Admiral Ackbar
08-08-2014, 11:03 PM
Put the "feet" on the bumper...

would probably put a fair amount (too much) of pressure on the spoiler from the top straps no?

charliedid
08-08-2014, 11:07 PM
would probably put a fair amount (too much) of pressure on the spoiler from the top straps no?

Would bring the entire load closer to the car with more weight on bumper and less on the spoiler.

Less lever action on the spoiler. Either way Saris says it's cool so don't worry too much.

giverdada
08-09-2014, 07:51 AM
thanks for the recommendation, charliedid.

we're hoping to head out today at lunchtime, so i'll fiddle with it til then. i was thinking the same thing about the feet on the bumper, but then was also worried about the top straps on the spoiler as mentioned. saris says it's cool? like, to put this rack on this car, or to use this rack on anything? i love this rack in general for ease of use and absolute security, but this whole spoiler thing is spoiling the fun.:no:

alright. back to hatchback engineering...

charliedid
08-10-2014, 08:58 AM
thanks for the recommendation, charliedid.

we're hoping to head out today at lunchtime, so i'll fiddle with it til then. i was thinking the same thing about the feet on the bumper, but then was also worried about the top straps on the spoiler as mentioned. saris says it's cool? like, to put this rack on this car, or to use this rack on anything? i love this rack in general for ease of use and absolute security, but this whole spoiler thing is spoiling the fun.:no:

alright. back to hatchback engineering...

Yes Saris' Fit Guide a okay's it for a Prius V. Don't worry....just install it correctly and have fun. That said I'd use a roof rack ;-)

Seriously tho.

buddybikes
08-10-2014, 01:23 PM
Hope you don't mind scratches from those strap hinged on your spoiler...

charliedid
08-10-2014, 01:57 PM
Hope you don't mind scratches from those strap hinged on your spoiler...

True in that case, but my use was for illustration of general positioning.

My point stands

feFIFO
08-10-2014, 02:29 PM
Hitch rack mo' bettah for your MPGs. Just installed a Curt hitch and 1Up rack on my Prius. Dang the 1Up is nice. No wind noise like with the roof racks on the Subie and, of course, it doesn't put a dent in your fuel efficiency.

rwsaunders
08-10-2014, 02:50 PM
Put the saris bones 3 on the new Prius V and don't want to screw anything up. Recommendations? Trying for a stable fit that doesn't stress the spoiler while still letting the legs cover more of the area. Tricky stuff. Working on a roof rack.

Be careful connecting to the spoiler. I almost lost a rack and two bikes on a Honda Civic wagon with a setup just like yours. I hit a bump and the screws holding the spoiler to the body weren't meant to hold a load and the spoiler almost came off. The Yakima roof rack that I was waffling on at the time because of cost was purchased the next day and I have it twenty some years later.

charliedid
08-10-2014, 03:11 PM
Be careful connecting to the spoiler. I almost lost a rack and two bikes on a Honda Civic wagon with a setup just like yours. I hit a bump and the screws holding the spoiler to the body weren't meant to hold a load and the spoiler almost came off. The Yakima roof rack that I was waffling on at the time because of cost was purchased the next day and I have it twenty some years later.

I don't know his exact model but pretty sure it's the one where it just runs past the spolier and is actually structural. We have installed plenty Saris Bones on prius V cars. The V was one of if not the first Prius model one that these types of racks worked on...

Again, Saris has no problem with it, so I wouldn't worry.