PDA

View Full Version : Anyone racing a classic bike?

jwprolo
03-02-2006, 02:16 PM
I am in the early stages of selecting a new frame and just had a curious thought. Do any of you race what would be called a classic frame or setup? I'm not thinking so much retro, nor would modern "super" steel frames fit, but something along the lines of a MX Leader or a Cinelli Super Corsa. Stuff most would scoff at as just being too heavy or not modern and innovative. How do these "classic" frames race? I know they ride like magic, but haven't had the opportunity to really hammer with one. Thanks.

Dr. Doofus
03-02-2006, 02:24 PM
raced a giordana last year for all but four races

it worked

almost went with a 57cm supercorsa or MX for this year, but the jerk talked me into aluminum....

e-RICHIE
03-02-2006, 02:31 PM
they'd be no different whether racing or "just" riding.

93legendti
03-02-2006, 02:37 PM

Word.

Fixed
03-02-2006, 02:57 PM
bro i agree you still have turn the pedals i.m.h.o. cheers

cinelli
03-02-2006, 03:01 PM

Racing is riding done REALLY well.

Ray
03-02-2006, 03:13 PM
A couple of small local mountain bike races (as close to racing as I ever get) on an old rigid MB-2. The lack of suspension may have hurt me a little bit on a couple of sections, but my overall placing was a direct result of my legs - enough space between me and the folks in front of me (and behind me) that I can't say I'd have done better or worse on any other bike.

-Ray

Fixed
03-02-2006, 03:25 PM
bro last year i put together a sl columbus lugged frame it was n.o.s. mix of d.a.8 and chours d.t. shifters and 2 set of wheels for under a grand . this year I got a new bike to race on and it's great too but i could have gotten by with the old bike just as well . but I 'm weird i really like the old stuff . I guess i was just born 20 years late cheers :beer:

mike p
03-02-2006, 03:45 PM
I raced both a CRL and a C-Dale Cadd 7. No diff as far as results. If your flying you will fly on lugged steel just as well as the latest greatest.

Fixed
03-02-2006, 03:49 PM
I raced both a CRL and a C-Dale Cadd 7. No diff as far as results. If your flying you will fly on lugged steel just as well as the latest greatest.
my bro i.m.h.o. cheers :beer:

Fixed
03-02-2006, 07:28 PM
bro if you ain't winning races on your steel bike you ain't gona start winning them on something else . i.m.h.o. cheers :beer:
bro why don't they have a cat race for " classic bikes " bro I think I'm on to something .cheers
no i didn't say on something