PDA

View Full Version : Veloflex Master update

velotel
08-08-2014, 12:31 PM
They’re friggin fast! Okay, this is purely empirical; I have zero data to back up the statement, just what I feel. And what I feel in the downhills is major speed. Makes no sense to me. I mean tire pressure is not far off what I’ve always ridden, just a tad softer. The tire’s volume is from what everyone says less than the volume of the Pavés that they replaced but regardless they feel noticeably smoother than any tire I’ve ridden so far. I’ve ridden a few, Schwalbe, Michelin, Continental, Vittoria. I’ve pretty much liked every tire I’ve ridden. The only ones I switched away from relatively quickly were some Schwalbe Ultremos I think they were called. Rode well enough but wore out fast. Have to admit that every time I put on a new tire, I instantly thought it was one sweet riding tire but I also realized that was simply in comparison to the worn out tires. So of course they were better.

Until the Vittoria Pavés, I never repeated, always replaced the old tire with something new from a different manufacturer. Or a different model from a manufacturer I’d already ridden. Apparently none of the tires flipped the switch for me, until the Pavés. Those were sweetness in every respect. I’d still be riding them in fact except they’re in short supply, especially the 27mm Pavés I’ve been lusting after. Figured I’d span the time by trying out the Veloflex Masters after reading all the positive comments about Veloflex. Purely a stop-gap purchase. Or so I thought.

I’ve now ridden them in just about every condition I ride regularly, including dirt and rock tracks and they’ve felt consistently smoother than anything else I’ve ridden. But where they’ve been blowing me away is in the downhills, which in my opinion is only place where the differences between tires really manifest themselves. I mean going up a tire is pretty much a tire, at least for me. I don’t go up fast enough to strain a tire’s capabilities. But going down, yea, that’s where the good tires shine. And so far the Masters have been brilliant. In fact sometimes they almost scare me. I mean I’m racing down off the col above where I live, a road I know intimately, and I find myself hitting speeds that feel absolutely enormous, like I’m hauling butt into turns so fast I feather the brakes where normally I just let the bike roll. And every time they carve through just as sweet as can be. These tires make me laugh. Can’t think of a better complement than that. Absolutely zero data to back up what I’ve said, nothing but feelings and laughing over what a wild ride they’re giving me. Looks like I’m going to be repeating with Veloflex when these puppies need to be replaced.

thirdgenbird
08-08-2014, 12:38 PM
I'm with you.

My eurus/veloflex combo feels faster than anything else I've ridden no manner what bike its on. If anything, my experience and data says its no different, but it sure feels that way.

Lionel
08-08-2014, 12:52 PM
For someone so impressed by the switch from vittoria clinchers to veloflex clinchers it's time to try veloflex tubulars, yet another level of greatness :)

carlineng
08-08-2014, 01:05 PM
Nice! I'm tempted to pick up a pair now...

Small nitpick -- I think you mean "subjective" rather than "empirical", since empirical methods often involve collecting and analyzing data!

bobswire
08-08-2014, 01:17 PM
Nice! I'm tempted to pick up a pair now...

Small nitpick -- I think you mean "subjective" rather than "empirical", since empirical methods often involve collecting and analyzing data!

Yes and no,

em·pir·i·cal
[em-pir-i-kuhl] Show IPA
adjective
derived from or guided by experience or experiment.
depending upon experience or observation alone, without using scientific method or theory, especially as in medicine.

JasonF
08-08-2014, 01:24 PM
My favorite tire too. They really need to come out with a 28 (which in reality would probably measure out to a 25).

thirdgenbird
08-08-2014, 01:26 PM
A true 25-26 would be great.

kurto
08-08-2014, 01:38 PM
How wide is your rim? I've got 25c Masters on 25mm rims and it just rails corners and descents.

JasonF
08-08-2014, 01:48 PM
How wide is your rim? I've got 25c Masters on 25mm rims and it just rails corners and descents.

Running Campy Neutrons which are 19mm or 20mm wide and the Veloflex Corsas (same as the Masters but with a black sidewall) are only 23mm wide in the advertised 25mm size.

redir
08-08-2014, 02:35 PM
I can't say they make me feel any faster but I agree that they are by far the best clincher's I've ever used. They feel closer to a tubular in cornering and handling bumps then anything I've ever tried. Prior to that my go to clincher was the Panaracer Extreme Evo2 which also has a real nice round tubular like profile. I only race on tubulars but these things are so good I could see why people would trade off tubulars for them.

carlineng
08-08-2014, 02:59 PM
Yes and no,

em·pir·i·cal
[em-pir-i-kuhl] Show IPA
adjective
derived from or guided by experience or experiment.
depending upon experience or observation alone, without using scientific method or theory, especially as in medicine.

Funny, the two definitions are somewhat contradictory. Definition 1 uses "experiment" which, to me, implies scientific method. Definition 2 says "observation alone, without using scientific method." Huh?

OtayBW
08-08-2014, 03:27 PM
...this is purely empirical; I have zero data to back up the statementEither way, I tend to agree with you. I would not use the word 'empirical' in the same sentence as 'I have zero data'....but we're not here diagraming sentences, are we? :rolleyes: :banana:

rnhood
08-08-2014, 03:47 PM
What is "updated" or new about them? Are you only referring to the 25?

rain dogs
08-08-2014, 07:03 PM
I really like veloflex tires for the reasons mentioned, in fact, I think the are the most comfortable, fastest clincher I have ever used, I have Masters on the Orbea

however, I have also experienced much more frequent flat tires with veloflex than say Vittoria Open CorsaCX's which are so nearly as spectacular a tire, but so much less frequently flatted... I stick with open Corsas.

I kid you not, I've gone through open corsas having never flatted, not once from new to worn out.

The pair I have on the Cannondale right now.... 2200km... all I'll say is knock on wood.

Grant McLean
08-08-2014, 07:13 PM
Running Campy Neutrons which are on 19mm or 20mm wide and the Veloflex Corsas (same as the Masters but with a black sidewall) are only 23mm wide in the advertised 25mm size.

Just for clarity, all campagnolo alloy pre-built wheels have a 20.5mm rim width.

-g

scho74
08-08-2014, 09:49 PM
my rear flatted after 50 miles haha. although they ride really nicely and are noticeably faster than my pro4s...i'd rather not worry about flats. LA streets are the best! :cool:

stephenmarklay
08-08-2014, 10:15 PM
I bought a set so I guess I need to try them out!

Masher
08-08-2014, 11:26 PM
my rear flatted after 50 miles haha. although they ride really nicely and are noticeably faster than my pro4s...i'd rather not worry about flats. LA streets are the best! :cool:
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/08/09/8yqymugu.jpg

Not sure if anything can survive this but my poor corsa in my first week of riding them with my new zondas. Do love the ride though.

rustychisel
08-09-2014, 04:01 AM
nothing to add. Velotel gets it.

Ozrider
08-09-2014, 04:28 AM
@ masher - I don't think any tyre will survive that

MRB
08-09-2014, 05:51 PM
.....Vittoria Open CorsaCX's which are so nearly as spectacular a tire...
^ Not trying to create a war, but these tires are absolutely terrible in wet conditions. This has been widely reported, and I can attest to feeling lucky to be alive after riding them in RATPOD this year.

carlineng
08-11-2014, 10:31 PM
This may be a weird comment, but I just received a set of Veloflex Masters that I bought from a forumite, and they're the nicest smelling tires I've ever purchased. I opened up the package and was greeted to a pleasant scent, not unlike a freshly brewed pot of oolong tea.