PDA

View Full Version : Semi OT: CrossFit story in Outside

MattTuck
08-08-2014, 11:54 AM
The topic of crossfit comes up here every so often. Thought that this piece from Outside was interesting, if only because it did not involve Lance. Link to article (http://www.outsideonline.com/fitness/bodywork/the-fit-list/CrossFit-Your-Insecurity-is-Showing.html)

You do not cross CrossFit. As many in the media have learned, the company behind the fitness craze is not afraid to retaliate—through its enforcers in "informational weaponry," Russell Greene and Russell Berger; its massive social-media following; or, if all else fails, the courts. I knew because I'd read about it and had seen their work on Outside's Facebook wall. But it wasn't real to me. It is now.

Outside has been a focus of CrossFit's wrath since we began reporting on the injured-participant-led backlash in 2013. But I first became Greene's target when I reported on a story about CrossFit's new rival, the NPFL (now known as the NPGL). In the story, NPGL founder Tony Budding said he wanted to create an event that was more spectator-friendly than CrossFit's flagship competition, the CrossFit Games.

Greene took offense to that line. "Tony's statement that the CrossFit Games aren't a spectator-friendly sport is completely false, and deserves critical analysis," Greene wrote. Fair enough. We'd pointed out that "some would argue that the CrossFit Games have been a huge success, selling out tickets, drawing a half-million viewers on ESPN, and winning title sponsorship from Reebok." The story wasn't about taking sides, but about informing readers of the NPGL's existence and what it planned to do.

I suppose I should've remembered that encounter when I applied for a press pass to this year's CrossFit Games. Held annually since 2007, the Games are what makes CrossFit a sport rather than a training regimen. To get to the finals at the StubHub arena in Carson, California, individual CrossFit athletes and teams must make it past open and regional competitions. About 100 men and 100 women face off in a three-day strongman-style competition (think: overhead squats, burpees, and rowing), where CrossFit dubs the winners "Fittest on Earth" and hands them a check for $275,000.

I'd spent the past two-and-a-half years reporting on obstacle racing, a sport whose meteoric growth was greatly fueled by CrossFitters looking for a place to test their strength. I wanted to see what a straight-up CrossFit competition was like. Instead, my press pass was denied.

"Outside Online has published headlines and articles about CrossFit and the CrossFit Games that lead us to question Outside Magazine and Outside Online's editorial intentions," said the email from CrossFit Press, which arrived after we reached out to Greene. The email listed four Outside articles to which CrossFit had taken offense: a report on a Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research study that suggested CrossFit has a 16 percent injury rate, a report on the subsequent lawsuit between CrossFit and the journal (published by the National Strength and Conditioning Association), the NPFL story, and another story digging deeper into injury statistics.

No mention was made, however, of the stories we've published trumpeting CrossFit's stars like four-time CrossFit Games champion Rich Froning, pointing readers to the regimen's best boxes, or even promoting CrossFit-inspired training plans. Outside has covered all aspects of the fitness trend since it began.

With that in mind, we asked CrossFit to reevaluate its decision. CrossFit is important to us and to many of our readers. We were eager to cover the games. Again, we were rejected. This time, our email didn't even elicit a response.

Denying our press pass is like the NFL writing, "Dear ESPN, We can't let you cover the Super Bowl, because you covered the traumatic-brain-injury concerns of NFL players." By CrossFit's logic, every major media outlet in the United States should be blackballed, from the New York Times to USA Today, because we've all covered CrossFit injuries. Deadspin must certainly be on CrossFit's s*** list after publishing this gem about the NSCA debacle:

It exposes the fitness company far more effectively than the NSCA study ever did. In the lawsuit, all of CrossFit's neuroses emerge, as does its inner asshole.

beeatnik
08-08-2014, 12:02 PM
CrossFit, the Scientology of Fitness

CunegoFan
08-08-2014, 12:11 PM
The topic of crossfit comes up here every so often. Thought that this piece from Outside was interesting, if only because it did not involve Lance. Link to article (http://www.outsideonline.com/fitness/bodywork/the-fit-list/CrossFit-Your-Insecurity-is-Showing.html)

It might involve Lance. I suspect coach Glassman is Armstrong's more evil twin. He is the L. Ron Hubbard of the fitness world. Actually L. Ron Hubbard looked like he was in much better shape than Glassman.

Jgrooms
08-08-2014, 12:40 PM
Its so badass, but to suggest you might get hurt? Anyway, to fight the press is typically a loosing proposition.

CunegoFan
08-08-2014, 12:55 PM
Its so badass, but to suggest you might get hurt?

Injuries from doing AMRAP (as many reps as possible within a set time period) lifts should not surprise anyone. Exercises like that are just stupid.

PQJ
08-08-2014, 01:06 PM
Lance and CrossFit might actually be a good marketing match. Unless CF intends to become an Olympic event (which given the IOCs determination to dilute their event is probably highly likely).

beeatnik
08-08-2014, 01:07 PM
Injuries from doing AMRAP (as many reps as possible within a set time period) lifts should not surprise anyone. Exercises like that are just stupid.

this

It's a wacky cult. My 28-year-old neighbor gave up working on an MBA at a top 20 school, built a studio in her garage and wasn't seen in 2 years. Last week I saw her on crutches. Cross-fit injury. They do say most accidents occur in the home.

gavingould
08-08-2014, 01:11 PM
very very NSFW: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnjYyfkcaNI

also funny.

bcroslin
08-08-2014, 01:15 PM
Never pick a fight with people who buy ink by the barrel.

Anecdotally, several people I know who have been cross fit's biggest cheerleaders have all moved on to something else. A few because of serious injuries.

rugbysecondrow
08-08-2014, 09:35 PM
First, there is crossfit, and then there is Crossfit. One is a fitness activity many of us engage in, the other is a sport, an industry televised on ESPN worldwide with Reebok sponsorships.

I love crossfit been doing it for two years and have had one injury, which is fair. That being said, shtuff happens. There is a risk to a program, and CF is not different in that regard. It is popular to hate on CF now, and point out the injuries and say "told you so", but when a runner sprains and ankle, has a painful IT band or knee issues, folks don't throw that in their face...it is just accepted as a matter of business. Here is what I know about CF. People love doing it. The community surrounding it is great. It is positive. It is celebratory...your victories matter to others.

It gets a bad rap as crossfit all gets lumped in together, sort of like if all types of cycling was just lumped in together as one. The guys highlighted in the article were not doing CF. This is not to say people don't get hurt, but it is to say that ESPN misrepresented the whole story.

I think, like cycling, you get people who have addictive personalities as well. I know we have a few of them here, runners have their fair share as do other sports/activities (I know rugby players who made rugby the focus of their life in their 20's, and now are lost in their 30's). The point, addictive people will abuse it. I also think it attracts a certain breed, competitive, type A folks, people who want to push and test the limits. Sometimes you get hurt doing that.

I do believe that, as with anything, programming or instructors prescribe a plan that might not work for you. For instance, in a Yoga class, if I can't do what the instructor prescribes, I modify it for my needs or ask for assistance. In CF, people need to do the same thing, but some don't. I really don't know why. Just like with any other fitness endeavor, you need to take personal responsibility for your fitness. My kids take the Crossfit Kids classes, and they love it. It is instructional, fun, supportive and it teaches aspects of fitness that they can take with them forever.

The impact of crossfit has been felt across many sports, but especially in the resurgence of Olympic Lifting. Lifting clubs, seminars, coaching, competitions...CF has had a huge impact. They will grudgingly admit it, but USAW folks know that it is because of CF that their ranks are swelling.

CF is a community of folks who care about fitness and being healthy. Why hate on that? Is it out of actually concern, snobbery, or jealousy? Not sure, but I do know that whatever fitness program you choose, the best one is the one you will actually show up for. Some of you will cycle 5 days a week...that doesn't work for me as I don't want to ride that much. I do CF workouts 5 times a week, that works for me. I am more fit, stronger, faster and healthier than ever before. I am leaner, at 6'2, 220, but a 33"waist. The people I work out with are the most positive folks I have EVER been around...ever (work, recreation, team etc). They lift up ones who need help, cheer for the effort, love your successes...it is a great community of people that breeds accomplishments.

It might not be your cup of tea, but I slurp it like kool-aid. :)

The Outside the lines piece was crappy "journalism", it was propaganda.

Here is a pretty straight forward rebuttal to the ESPN pos:

ESPN’s “Outside the Lines” tried to produce a show on injuries in CrossFit. They failed. Instead, they covered injuries outside of CrossFit, but tried to present them as CrossFit injuries. The result is a confused, misleading mess.

First, ESPN discussed Brad Hawley, who fell from a bar and hurt himself. Unfortunately for ESPN’s journalistic reputation, this accident did not happen at a CrossFit gym. It happened at an IronTribe Fitness location.

Kevin Ogar injured himself at an unlicensed fitness competition. It was not a CrossFit competition. ESPN’s reporter Mark Fainaru-Wada knows this because Kevin Ogar told him so in an interview. Yet Fainaru-Wada chose to ignore this fact and wrote that the OC Throwdown was a “CrossFit event,” nonetheless.

And that wasn’t ESPN’s only mistake with Ogar. Before consenting to the interview, Ogar “had numerous conversations where I told them the only way I would talk to them is if it was showing how much the community did for me and how CrossFit saved my life.” Clearly, ESPN did not fulfill their promise to Ogar.

After seeing the piece, Ogar wrote that he was, “Not super happy with the way they wrote it up after promising me repeatedly it was going to be a positive piece on the power of the CrossFit Community.”

ESPN is talking about CrossFit lacking quality control. But CrossFit does control who can teach CrossFit and hold CrossFit competitions. ESPN disregarded ALL of those measures in this piece.

It makes no more sense to focus on Hawley’s injury in a CrossFit piece than it does to focus on a BMW crash when discussing the risks of driving a Mercedes Benz.

Outside the Lines says that there is no published data on CrossFit. This is also false. Paul Hak’s study on CrossFit was admittedly flawed, but it did find that CrossFit survey responders had an injury rate similar to or less than triathlons, running, weightlifting, powerlifting, gymnastics and “general fitness training.”

ESPN either failed to do basic journalistic research, or for some reason chose to ignore these relevant findings. Either way, they failed basic standards of journalism.

As for Rachel Crass’s statement that “if you can’t do 4 repetitions in a row properly, you have no business doing 30,” this reiterates CrossFit’s guidelines rather than contradicting them. Crass should just have admitted that she agrees with CrossFit’s policy to develop mechanics and consistency prior to adding intensity.

When you remove all of ESPN’s errors, there’s very little left. The only responsible option that remains is for ESPN is to pull the show and either amend or delete its associated articles.

rugbysecondrow
08-08-2014, 09:46 PM
Let me also hit on one of the greatest impacts Crossfit has had, and this was something I had never thought of until I saw it happen. Crossfit females have developed a more positive body image of themselves than prior to doing CF. This is even true for women who were involved in sports and other programs before. Being strong, being fit...knowing that it is more important how you feel and what you do that how you look. That has been amazing to me. I know women at my gym who have had serious issues with drugs, eating disorders of various sorts, self esteem issues etc, and the positive CF environment has provided a place for them to be proud of themselves in ways they didn't know was possible before. It is not about "minding the thigh gap" but being healthy. I have seen people achieve things in life after doing crossfit because it helped give them confidence, it was a positive boost.

Edit:
Ironically enough, a friend just wrote this, tonight: It took a long time for me to get this. I no longer get on the scale. It just plays bad mind games with you. Be happy with who you are and if your not do something about it! CF has changed my life in so many ways. Never would I ever thought I would be fine with not getting on that scale, being a person that used to do it EVERYDAY!

Is CF the only way to achieve a positive view of ones self, hell no. But, if it is a way for this to occur, why not embrace it as a positive thing?

This can happen with other positive environments as well, but it often doesn't. The Crosffit box is a judgement free zone. We have whites, blacks, asians, hispanics, straight, gay, old, young, male, female, white collar, blue collar, military, non-military...name a stripe and we have it. What other environment is that accepting and positive, especially when all of these groups come together.

Crossfit will evolve, and it needs to. As it develops, you will have more experts, more veterans and experienced folks who can make it even better.

Cheers.

CunegoFan
08-08-2014, 09:48 PM
As for Rachel Crass’s statement that “if you can’t do 4 repetitions in a row properly, you have no business doing 30,” this reiterates CrossFit’s guidelines rather than contradicting them. Crass should just have admitted that she agrees with CrossFit’s policy to develop mechanics and consistency prior to adding intensity.

This sounds very convincing until you try to reconcile it with doing pull-ups by kipping.

rugbysecondrow
08-08-2014, 10:07 PM
This sounds very convincing until you try to reconcile it with doing pull-ups by kipping.

Yes and no. Kipping pull-ups do not replace strict pullups, it is a very different movement, aside from the fact that the goal is to have your chin a certain height. One is not a replacement for the other.

If you are trying to climb up something, will you do it completely strict or will you employ your body to aid in the ascent? If you can, you would use your body, and that is the goal of the kipping. It has a real world application. The ability to turn on your hip flexors and employ a kip has impacts elsewhere in movements, not just CF, but swinging a bat, throwing a ball, Running, swimming, even riding a bike.

I realize I have typed a lot tonight, I don't want to hijack this, but enough people will be negative, which is cool. The positive attributes deserve attention as well.

texbike
08-08-2014, 10:09 PM
Sadly I didn't realize that Crossfit was a "sport" or even a movement until the recent games. I was sitting in a bar with some friends and the Games were being televised on one of the big screens. I had no clue until that point that it existed. Man, I'm getting old and losing touch...

DukeHorn
08-09-2014, 01:18 AM
I'm sorry. Anytime a sport espouses doing lifts for speed purposes (as "friendly competition) which obviously deteriorates your form it becomes a cult more than good exercise. We have CF at my climbing gym. The community is already great at this gym. The CFs tend to come and go.

Yoga is a horrible analogy. Where's the competitive and timing aspect of most yoga classes? It doesn't exist. CF is entirely premised on putting the best times/numbers on a blackboard so folks know that you're crushing it. It might work for you but the number of hacks "coaching" CF is a huge problem (considering that a major revenue stream is certifying CF coaches).

Peter P.
08-09-2014, 06:08 AM
CrossFit is the Strava of weightlifting.

avalonracing
08-09-2014, 06:39 AM
A friend cracked me up when he said:

"First Rule of CrossFit... Tell everyone you do CrossFit"

Climb01742
08-09-2014, 07:36 AM
To weight train safely you need a few things: good technique, someone to show you proper technique, the discipline to stay with proper technique, and the wisdom to stop when your technique breaks down.

Like anything marketed to a mass audience, skill often outpaces participation. There are good CF coaches out...but too few for its audience. And there certainly are knowledgeable CF participants out there...but at what percentage of total CF users?

I'm a gym rat and while I know personal anecdotal evidence is imperfect, I've seen a ton of CF injuries. My two cents is there are problems inherent in the CF form of training, but the greatest flaw is trying to propagate a naturally difficult process, correct weight training, to too large of an audience too fast with too few truly good trainers/coaches.

Rugby, you're an accomplished CFer because you're a very good athlete, very knowledgeable and very disciplined. If it was possible to duplicate your knowledge and discipline in more CFers, it would be a different game.

rugbysecondrow
08-09-2014, 08:48 AM
The reason Yoga is a good analogy is that you practice Yoga for yourself, not for everyone else. The same is true for CF. You get out of Yoga what you put in, just like CF. Movements are varied with degrees of complexity and modifying is involved, just like CF.

I agree with much of what has been said. Movements and proper technique is the most important. Period. I don't think there is anything wrong with movements at a higher rate, you just have to adjust the weight accordingly and be sure to manage your technique and slow down if you need to. As is often said, hurt people cannot workout. If you hurt yourself for the sake of a time, it does no good if you have to miss the next three days. With that said, some people will do it. Some folks will always take a good thing too far. That is the difference between Crossfit and crossfit (lower case 'c'). I have done some Crossfit competitions and I will push myself harder and in a way which is not in my best interests for the sake of winning. This is no different than basketball, rugby, football, cycling etc where you will put it on the line to win. For fitness, crossfit is great, but you have to stay within yourself and know when to push. What weights are right for you? What are your goals for the workout? The point is that you workout based on your goals...that doesn't change just because you are doing CF.

I have taken some extra classes with a worldclass USAW Olympic Lifting coach as well as a former Olympian because I take form and technique seriously. Many other people at my gym have as well because they want to improve, but in a safe way. This is a fitness journey we are all on: cycling, running, CF, Yoga...there is no destination, we keep learning and developing.

The times on the board, the misconception is that it is about winning, which is not true. It is about accountability. I have been to quite a few CF boxes across the country, and I have found them to all be pretty good. There is only one which I would not go back to because I thought they programmed something stupid and harmful.

My prediction is that CF will evolve and as it takes hold, it will develop more rigidity and it will fix some of the problems inherent in its ranks. It isn't going away, so how do you take something good and make it great? That is the direction it is heading.

xeladragon
08-09-2014, 09:10 AM
I've been CrossFitting since... oh... I dunno... '08... long before it exploded, before Reebok got involved, etc.

Everyone has valid points. Yes, the community can be cult-like. But the community, in general, can also be highly supportive and motivational. Yes, people get injured. But you can get injured doing just about any physical activity... or no activity for that matter (i.e., sitting at a desk 8 hrs/day).

CrossFit, by definition, is "constantly varied, functional movements performed at high intensity." Period. That's it. It's about being functionally fit. It's about pushing yourself, but not to the point of sacrificing technique. The CrossFit Games is not CrossFit, but for better or worse, that's how it's advertised to your average Joe. For every story you read about someone getting injured doing CrossFit or something similar, you can find just as many if not more stories about how so-and-so was in a terrible accident, and if so-and-so weren't a CrossFitter, their injuries would've been much, much worse.

For example: http://espn.go.com/espnw/athletes-life/article/11250303/espnw-how-crossfit-saved-miranda-oldroyd-life

FWIW, I'm not an affiliate member. I'm lucky enough to have enough room in my garage for a home gym. I'm a self-taught CrossFitter. Before I started doing cleans and snatches and all that crazy stuff, I watched tons of instructional videos first about proper technique. I trust myself more than some kid who became a CrossFit trainer, not because they're passionate about fitness and helping others, but because it's a paying job. And I'm not saying all CrossFit affiliates/trainers are bad. But I do think that as CrossFit has exploded in popularity, the overall quality of the "boxes" has decreased. So if you're gonna do CrossFit, find an affiliate with good trainers and a community that suits your personality.

And if any Boston area forum members wanna swing by my home gym for a good workout, PM me.

zap
08-09-2014, 02:22 PM
Watched the crossfit games for about 15 minutes. Just another "strongest person" event. I wondered though.....drug testing?

Anyhow, I'm all for x training. I guess like every other biz arena, the Crossfit team are vigorously protecting their brand. But to exclude anyone from attending a televised event is stupid. Embrace and educate and some wine goes a long way.

ojingoh
08-09-2014, 07:56 PM
http://youtu.be/HgU6LWt32A8

veggieburger
08-09-2014, 08:31 PM

Oh, sooooo true. Nowadays it seems like there's more Crossfit T-shirts at my gym than MMA (and that's saying a lot).

firerescuefin
08-09-2014, 09:31 PM
I've been CrossFitting since... oh... I dunno... '08... long before it exploded, before Reebok got involved, etc.

You realize it's been around since 2000. I can remember going to my first class/certification in late 2001.

I did it pretty hard (and stupid) from 2001 until 2006 and it help put a lot of miles on the tires....but that had more to do with my mentality than it was a failure of crossfit per se. I see a lot that can be gained from crossfit principals. Though I don't do a lot of the current WODs, I still have a few favorites and enjoy integrating crossfit principles in my workouts. Too many folks want to jump right in and not focus on the fundamentals before escalating the workouts (movements, weight, reps, etc.) Dr. Kelly Starretts "Becoming a Supple Leopard" is a fan friggin tastic book for crossfitters or for people that want to be more functional. I can't say enough good about it.

Like Paul mentioned, the community is in general a very friendly encouraging group. Road cyclists psychoanalyzing any other group of athletes for douche-baggery (in general) is the pinnacle of irony to me.

xeladragon
08-09-2014, 09:53 PM
You realize it's been around since 2000.

Yes, I'm aware. Just threw the year out there cuz, IMO, CrossFit was just beginning to take off around that time. There were probably 1 to 2 boxes in the metro Boston area back then. Now, there's 10+... so ~2 new affiliates every year?

rab
08-09-2014, 10:11 PM
Too many folks want to jump right in and not focus on the fundamentals before escalating the workouts (movements, weight, reps, etc.) Dr. Kelly Starretts "Becoming a Supple Leopard" is a fan friggin tastic book for crossfitters or for people that want to be more functional. I can't say enough good about it.

Like Paul mentioned, the community is in general a very friendly encouraging group. Road cyclists psychoanalyzing any other group of athletes for douche-baggery (in general) is the pinnacle of irony to me.

Really good points, was thinking much of the same. Have some friends into (obsessed with) crossfit and it is fun to make fun of them/crossfit at times, but good naturedly considering my hobbies! I think it is really like a lot of things where you get a fairly new sport, gets a lot of attention and a surge of participation. This probably leads to a lot of hackjobs and those who don't want to do things the right way, put in the hard ground work. Like doing only fast group rides and no hard base miles to train for racing. And with any sport, you get injuries. Especially since a lot of us amateurs tend to be hard headed with our approaches, often ignoring the warning signs of potential overuse injuries. This is where the need to push hard in crossfit could be detrimental. I would totally blame the various individual's mentality and not fundamentals of crossfit. Or maybe a bit of the peer pressure thing too.

The "first rule of crossfit - talk non-stop about crossfit" does seem to hold true especially with the more recent converts, but when I think about it, that's cool, nice to see people stoked on something. And the community does seem to be really supportive and encouraging. Maybe a little annoying in their recruiting efforts at times. Just not my cup of tea, but anything pushing people to (safely) push themselves physically is good to me.

Now the "Becoming a Supple Leopard" book...seemed like a lot of good stuff in there but damn if it made me laugh my ass off too. The "Blue Steel" intensity in some of the pictures...oh man...

CunegoFan
08-09-2014, 10:14 PM

It is a proven fact that getting a Crossfitter and a triathlete together will produce a progessively more intense contest of one-upmanship ending in a maelstrom of bragging, preening, and look-at-me-ism that levels several city blocks.

Louis
08-09-2014, 10:42 PM
Yes, the community can be cult-like. But the community, in general, can also be highly supportive and motivational.

Hmmm, I wonder how this compares to say, the Cat 1-5 cycling world?

(I didn't want to go out on a limb and call it an actual cycling "community" because that would imply some degree of fellowship and common purpose.)

I say if folks enjoy doing it and overall it gets them into better shape then great, do it all you want. Every strenuous activity has risks, and cycling is in no way immune to that.

Rada
08-10-2014, 01:01 AM

This actually made me laugh out loud. Thanks for the link.

CunegoFan
08-10-2014, 11:04 AM
http://broscience.co/horrible-deadlifts-crossfit-games/

We focus on proper form before adding intensity. :rolleyes:

verticaldoug
08-10-2014, 11:28 AM
The one truism I know in sport is hard work produces results. The CF cheerleading mentality seems to get peope to work hard. When you work hard, you occasionally get injured. I can't think of a sport were this isn't true.

Outside of providing motivation to work hard, there is no magic here. To a certain extent, CF seems a continuation of the Body-of-Life challenges started by EAS back in 1997. People's attention span is pretty short in looking for motivation, so in due course, something will replace this......

Not so long ago, people thought Jane Fonda's workout video was the pinnacle of motivation..... How quaint those days were......

endosch2
08-10-2014, 05:45 PM
Here is some good crossfit technique.....

This is hilarious....

http://broscience.co/...ifts-crossfit-games/

spartanKid
08-11-2014, 12:49 AM

Edit:

Whoops I totally didn't get that this guy was being sarcastic the whole time.

velotrack
08-11-2014, 02:22 AM
Crossfit still beats sitting on your ass and eating all day. How can we really complain about something that at least tries to better your body (and mind) in a world where physical activity is on the demise?

rugbysecondrow
08-11-2014, 08:43 AM
http://broscience.co/horrible-deadlifts-crossfit-games/

We focus on proper form before adding intensity. :rolleyes:

I didn't come on here to be a proponent of CF, I am not trying to sell it to anybody. Period. I will defend it, when appropriate though.

Agreed, some of the form was crappy. You can find any content which bolsters your argument. As was stated before, these people are trying to push beyond their ability for the sake of sport. In their mind, it is no different than Brett Favre laying his body on the line for a completion, a catcher taking a baserunner head on to make the out. It happens and it is a decision they make as athletes.

In all seriousness though, don't we have better ways of spending our time than finding activities we choose to not participate in and arguing reasons why they are without merit and others shouldn't do them as well?

In cycling, mtbiking or other riding, accidents, severe injury, death is all a possibility. If safety is the issue, ought we be fervent against cycling?

In Soccer and football, concussions abound, ACL, MCL, broken bones, ankles etc are ever present.

The point, there is a given risk for any activity, and folks accept the risk because they believe the reward is worthwhile. You obviously don't think it is worthwhile, which is cool for you. Others accept the risk, as evidenced by the proliferation of CF. It will evolve and improve, but I don't see it going anywhere anytime soon.

This really sums it up:

Crossfit still beats sitting on your ass and eating all day. How can we really complain about something that at least tries to better your body (and mind) in a world where physical activity is on the demise?

CunegoFan
08-11-2014, 10:45 AM
In cycling, mtbiking or other riding, accidents, severe injury, death is all a possibility. If safety is the issue, ought we be fervent against cycling?

In Soccer and football, concussions abound, ACL, MCL, broken bones, ankles etc are ever present.

The point, there is a given risk for any activity, and folks accept the risk because they believe the reward is worthwhile. You obviously don't think it is worthwhile, which is cool for you. Others accept the risk, as evidenced by the proliferation of CF. It will evolve and improve, but I don't see it going anywhere anytime soon.

Saying that other sports have risk is a total cop out. These are not a few bozos at a random box. This is the televised pinnacle of this suppposed sport using form that will eventually get them injured with every possibility that the injuries will be permanently debilitating, as back injuries often are. If you want to liken it to cycling then this is the Tour de France being held on open roads with the riders free to ride on the wrong side of the road and blow through stop signs, all with encouragement by the ASO. That video belies Crossfit HQ's claims about the importance it places on proper form. It does not even care to enforce proper form at its premier event. The founder, who has described himself as a rabid Libertarian, refuses to do any quality control of the boxes, saying he relies on the cream of the crop rising to the top by the free market. Well, that is just great for the poor bastards who get injured at one of his substandard boxes before it closes. This is like the CEO of McDonald's refusing to set any food handling standards for its franchises, thinking that the ones that don't do a good job will eventually close when their customers get sick.

firerescuefin
08-11-2014, 10:55 AM
This is a VERY good post....and I am a closet crossfit defender.

Saying that other sports have risk is a total cop out. These are not a few bozos at a random box. This is the televised pinnacle of this suppposed sport using form that will eventually get them injured with every possibility that the injuries, will be permanently debilitating, as back injuries often are. If you want to liken it to cycling then this is the Tour de France being held on open roads with the riders free to ride on the wrong side of the road and blow through stop signs, all with encouragement by the ASO. That video belies Crossfit HQ's claims about the importance it places on proper form. It does not even care to enforce proper form at its premier event. The founder, who has described himself as a rabid Libertarian, refuses to do any quality control of the boxes, saying he relies on the cream of the crop rising to the top by the free market. Well, that is just great for the poor bastards who get injured at one of his substandard boxes before it closes. This is like the CEO of McDonald's refusing to set any food handling standards for its franchises, thinking that the ones that don't do a good job will eventually close when their customers get sick.

verticaldoug
08-11-2014, 11:40 AM
This is a VERY good post....and I am a closet crossfit defender.

I don't think of it as a cop out. Ever see the injury rate in gymnastics? How about the injury rate at slopestyle at this year's Winter Olympics? Polevaulters? Did you ever see Jake Brown's super ramp jump at X-Games?

Can CF do more to emphasize proper form? Sure... But at some point individual have to be responsible for their own actions.

I don't see anything special in either a positive or negative way in CF. To me, it is just another incarnation of some fade at a Crunch fitness club. Maybe, the world we live in is so over safe, so stale, we have to seek out competition or danger just to feel alive. . . .

I suggest everyone take a timeout and go watch the young Arnie on youtube in the 'Pumping Iron' movie.

Now that is motivation

fiamme red
08-11-2014, 11:44 AM
$275,000 to the winners? Wow, I had no idea Crossfit had grown so much.

Of course, the more money at stake, the more temptation to dope. I'm not certain that the woman is the photo is using steroids, but that does not look like a natural physique.

http://games-admin.crossfit.com/sites/default/files/styles/large/public/Games2012_AnnieSakamotoSled_Triplet.jpg

xeladragon
08-11-2014, 11:57 AM
$275,000 to the winners? Wow, I had no idea Crossfit had grown so much.

Of course, the more money at stake, the more temptation to dope. I'm not certain that the woman is the photo is using steroids, but that does not look like a natural physique.

http://games-admin.crossfit.com/sites/default/files/styles/large/public/Games2012_AnnieSakamotoSled_Triplet.jpg

That looks like Annie Sakamoto. FWIW, she's been crossfitting for a long, long time. While there might be dopers in CrossFit, I highly doubt she is one of them.

rugbysecondrow
08-11-2014, 11:59 AM
We will have to disagree.

To avoid a tit for tat, I believe it is great that adults make a conscience choice to be active, learn new skills, participate in a fitness community, develop a healthier life. How are those bad things? With 50% of Americans overweight, 36% obese, we should be encouraging people to exercise and sharing all the various ways they too can develop towards a healthier life. CF is one of those ways. It doesn't sound like it is your way, but I know quite a few people who would say that it has facilitated a change for them...that holds the most value for me.

Saying that other sports have risk is a total cop out. These are not a few bozos at a random box. This is the televised pinnacle of this suppposed sport using form that will eventually get them injured with every possibility that the injuries, will be permanently debilitating, as back injuries often are. If you want to liken it to cycling then this is the Tour de France being held on open roads with the riders free to ride on the wrong side of the road and blow through stop signs, all with encouragement by the ASO. That video belies Crossfit HQ's claims about the importance it places on proper form. It does not even care to enforce proper form at its premier event. The founder, who has described himself as a rabid Libertarian, refuses to do any quality control of the boxes, saying he relies on the cream of the crop rising to the top by the free market. Well, that is just great for the poor bastards who get injured at one of his substandard boxes before it closes. This is like the CEO of McDonald's refusing to set any food handling standards for its franchises, thinking that the ones that don't do a good job will eventually close when their customers get sick.

MattTuck
08-11-2014, 12:00 PM
I'm not actually against cross fit, I think a reasonable person can do it safely. And I think that compound movements are probably better than all the machines in regular sports clubs.

The danger is if they get caught up in the rat race and start confusing quality exercise for speed/weight/rep counts., etc.

My bigger problem is with an organization that retaliates with intimidation and bullying, against critics.

If there is a real problem with quality control and injuries, I'd rather see the organization take some responsibility, improve their standards and deal with it head on.

Not that the NFL is a great example, but after the risk of head injuries became blindingly clear, they have atleast admitted the problem and are taking steps to resolve it.