PDA

View Full Version : South Florida ride this Saturday?

RABikes2
03-02-2006, 01:37 PM
I know this is short notice, but if anybody (davep? Keith A? Bill Bove?) in the Delray Beach/Pompano Beach areas are riding early Saturday morning and if I could possibly join you (and not be dropped :) ), please PM me. I plan on arriving in Delray Beach Friday late afternoon and have one ride sort of planned for Friday night around 11:00-midnight. It would be great to get another ride in while there and possibly meet up with others if you're interested. Would like to save an hour or two to lay on the beach, too! ;)

Thanks. :banana:
RA

Keith A
03-02-2006, 02:35 PM
RA -- That's a little too far south for me, but hopefully some of our more southern Florida boys might be able to get with you. And besides, I'll be sailing this weekend :D

davep
03-02-2006, 08:59 PM
Saturday morning - MOST DEFINITELY. Check your email.

RABikes2
03-02-2006, 09:46 PM
Saturday morning - MOST DEFINITELY. Check your email.
Yahooooo Dave! Ahhh, but can we do this ride without the wild boar, cold weather, and the naked butt? :p :p
Check your e-mail in a little while!

RA

RABikes2
03-03-2006, 08:21 AM
RA -- That's a little too far south for me, but hopefully some of our more southern Florida boys might be able to get with you. And besides, I'll be sailing this weekend :D
Maybe we can ride on another visit to the east coast Keith! Have fun sailing! :banana:
RA

Bill Bove
03-03-2006, 09:09 AM
Meet me on the Boynton Inlet bridge @ 7:05. The bridge is on A1A about 3 miles north of Del Ray. I'll be the guy in pink.

RABikes2
03-05-2006, 10:02 PM
Dang Bill, I left early Friday before your post. If you came south at all, we most likely passed you somewhere! Did you ride with Bruce Clipson on Saturday? We were all going to the same wedding this morning.

What a great time. Davep rode up from Ft. Lauderdale and we met at an old buddy, Ernie's home in Pompano Beach at 7:00 a.m.. We headed north on A1A and rode up to Del Ray Beach then turned and came back south on A1A. We rode back with Dave to Ft. Lauderdale and then did some type of loop through the streets of Ft. Lauderdale, which included the Humane Society's Dog Walk, back onto A1A to come north to Pompano Beach for a 59 miler. I was surprised to see how many cyclists ride on that crazy road! Your senses are constantly on extreme, full alert for everything imaginable; cars, manholes, curbs, doors opening on cars, and did I mention...CARS :crap: , CARS :crap: , everywhere CARS....!!!!! My senses were on overload! ;)

It was a beautiful, warm, sunny day with a start temp. around 64 degrees (it went into the 80's as the day went on). I wore a sleeveless jersey only to see cyclists wearing armwarmers! At the finish of my 300k last weekend in Bonifay, I experienced frostbite symptoms on my fingers and feet (approximately 29 degrees at the finish and that was without the windchill), so it was kind of funny to see folks in cold weather gear in the far south :p .

I hadn't seen or biked with my buddy, Ernie, in years and Dave and I hadn't seen or rode together since our 600k last year. It was absolutely fabulous to ride with both guys; a fun time.

Dave, you are a talented rider and it is just the best to ride with you. Let me know what you decide with the 1000k and/or the 1200k in Bonifay, you are welcome to stay here anytime before or after the rides (lots of room and I can take you on a "country" ride :) ).

Another forum member, Don Braverman, called on my way down to the area and extended an invite to his club ride the next morning. Unfortunately, time didn't permit to meet up with Don, but it was really nice of him to call, introduce himself, and be so generous in his invitation. Thanks Don, maybe on another trip south we can plan a ride :) .

Thanks again Dave, it was great seeing you! :banana:
RA

Don
03-06-2006, 07:32 PM
RA,

Glad your sojourn to this part of the state worked out well. And, I trust the wedding was equally successful!

Happy to have you (or any other member of the forum) join us when you're in these parts. Riding north through Palm Beach on State Road A1A is truly one of the great routes, even with the traffic!

Don