PDA

View Full Version : Is Rowing Machine Beneficial for Bike Riding

Splash
08-07-2014, 05:01 PM
I row 10 minutes every day on a machine at the local gym.

What (if any) benefits exist from this exercise for improving strength/endurance for bike riding?

Splash

thegunner
08-07-2014, 05:31 PM
it'll improve your cardiovascular system, and definitely strengthen your core / legs - but i found riding helps riding more than rowing helps riding.

luv2bike
08-07-2014, 05:58 PM
Interesting thing is that your power output on the rower will be the same as on the bike for a given heart rate. I row on a Concept 2 and ride with a power meter. Amazing how close the power out put is for very different activities.

Pete Mckeon
08-07-2014, 06:23 PM
Can assist but, target for at least 20 minutes snd slso leg weights

jimoots
08-07-2014, 06:24 PM
I preface this with "IMHO"

The best thing for getting better at bike riding is bike riding. It's obviously about targeting the specific muscles but also the firing sequences.

Having said that, cross training (runnning, swimming, rowing, weights, etc) is not a bad thing and likely to be better than doing nothing. As long as you're not tending towards overtraining. And that's another kettle of fish.

lil_champ
08-07-2014, 09:14 PM
I was a rower for 10 years, so I spent quite a bit of time on those machines. I don't know if it will do much to help cycling directly, but it is an excellent workout. One benefit could be strengthening your core and back, two areas that are crucial for cycling but don't get much work on the bike.

tmf
08-07-2014, 09:25 PM
I usually add some indoor rowing to my winter workouts to balance out the trainer, limited outdoor riding and small amount of running. I rowed for a couple of years in college, and felt there was a good correlation with riding and rowing.

If I remember correctly, proper rowing technique relies about 70-75% on the legs. Proper technique is really good to know.

William
08-07-2014, 09:27 PM
I say it will help you. There are a number of searchable threads on the Concept II/rowing and cycling. I was a collegiate rower and I got turned onto the C2 then and have used it ever since. Of course the best way to get good at riding a bike is riding a bike. But if I can improve certain areas by training off the bike that will help improve your cardiovascular fitness, strength, and ability to suffer...I'm in. I've used it extensively during crew training and Erg competitions, for supplementary training for cycling, Muay Thai, and full-contact stick fighting, and I still use one for staying in general good shape. I've always said that if I could only have one piece of exercise equipment to use, it would be a C2.

Ymmv.:)

William

Louis
08-07-2014, 11:32 PM
Although I'm no expert rower (although I have owned a Model C for over 10 years) I would say that absolutely rowing will help cycling. However, even if it didn't, it would still be an awesome practice in it's own right.

Additional evidence that rowing it a great exercise: the Crossfit guys love it.

Splash
08-08-2014, 02:46 AM
Thanks Guys.

Even though I have been rowing for 8 months now, I still don't feel I have the correct technique, and ask for any good links/videos i can review to check my technique?

I am also keen to learn of body part positioning at different sections of the the rowing stroke.

Splash

tmf
08-08-2014, 04:26 AM
Thanks Guys.

Even though I have been rowing for 8 months now, I still don't feel I have the correct technique, and ask for any good links/videos i can review to check my technique?

I am also keen to learn of body part positioning at different sections of the the rowing stroke.

Splash

A quick search turned up some good videos on technique. These first one shows proper technique, the second common technique errors.

proper rowing technique (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQ82RYIFLN8)

technique errors (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oP6OR-G7AxM)

several videos on technique (https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=rowing+technique+concept+2)

It's been 25 years since I rowed in a shell, but the basics that I was taught are fairly simple. Proper grip on the oar/handle. During the first part of the drive phase, you keep your arms straight and body straight - all of the drive is with your legs. When your legs are fully extended is when you lean back then pull through with the arms. There is a lot more going on in a real rowing shell - orientation of the blade, height of your hands, etc. - that you don't have to worry about on the Concept 2. For the recovery, you go in the reverse order - extend the arms, lean forward, slide forward. The "proper technique" video breaks it down very well.

Splash
08-08-2014, 04:38 AM
many thanks TMF.

SPlash

cfox
08-08-2014, 05:22 AM
I don't know if it will improve your cycling per se, but it will improve you. Serious cyclists are pretty unbalanced athletes, so some other training that uses the upper body is great, in my opinion.

batman1425
08-08-2014, 08:55 AM
After 13 years of rowing - 2 at the D1 level before my knee a$$ploded, the erg still makes me cringe!

Kidding... The erg is a great workout, when used properly, and I still erg now and then in the off season. Proper form requires a strong back and core - which is most of why I continue to use it. I get a great endurance based back and core workout. Typically after my first few sessions my abs, back, and arm are trashed - in a good way.

Using good form is really important to see the benefits. Watch some of the C2 videos as suggested for tips and pointers. Strong straight back (unless you rowed for Harvard), solid connection at the catch, hanging on the handle.

As others have said, it is a great supplement to cycling for promoting muscle balance, which will help keep you injury free and able to train more effectively on the bike, but it isn't directly going to make you faster on the bike.

Cat3roadracer
08-08-2014, 10:25 AM
Same heart, same lungs. Does wonders for Frank Underwood.

dgauthier
08-08-2014, 10:43 AM
..Serious cyclists are pretty unbalanced athletes, so some other training that uses the upper body is great, in my opinion.

...As others have said, it is a great supplement to cycling for promoting muscle balance, which will help keep you injury free and able to train more effectively...

+1. CFox and Batman give great advice. Although in my experience extra upper body strength does help when you stand to climb, so some (albeit limited) aspects of your riding can be directly improved.

eippo1
08-08-2014, 10:50 AM
One thing I'll add is that it is extremely effective if you do not have a lot of time for a workout. You can destroy yourself in 20 mins of rowing with a short warm up. You can do the same with cycling on a trainer, but I feel that sometimes the intensity bang for the buck can be better on the erg.

Climb01742
08-08-2014, 11:12 AM
as others have said, it does benefit cycling in ancillary ways, but for me ergging's greatest benefits are off-season fitness (like when it's snowing), great workout if you're pressed for time or traveling, and when for mental health you just want to do something else besides riding. an erg can be great, too, for doing intervals--getting increased fitness benefits in compressed time frame.

one thing i do to practice my form is close my eyes while rowing and just feel what your body is doing. i find it's easier to focus on form when i've limited sensory input.

malcolm
08-08-2014, 11:35 AM
The best thing about a C2 and I own one is it really makes you appreciate the stationary bike. The C2 can and will produce a level of misery and do so at a faster pace than anything I've ever used. Great piece of equipment and a good value, but an absolute torture device.

Splash
08-08-2014, 11:41 AM
anyone tried this variation?

http://www.concept2.com.au/indoor-rowers/dynamic

thegunner
08-08-2014, 11:45 AM
one piece of advice, get that stroke form hammered out. the easiest way to ruin your upcoming cycling season is by blowing out your back on the erg.

Louis
08-08-2014, 12:22 PM
The best thing about a C2 and I own one is it really makes you appreciate the stationary bike. The C2 can and will produce a level of misery and do so at a faster pace than anything I've ever used. Great piece of equipment and a good value, but an absolute torture device.

A few related comments (some of which I've posted here before):

From a "mental boredom" perspective I find the C2 way more tolerable than riding a bike indoors. On a stationary bike my mind turns to mush, but never on the erg.

When I'm pushing hard and I'm tired, but still have a long way to go, the erg is a huge mental challenge because for each stroke I have to push myself. It's a whole series of independent decisions, where your body wants to bail out but your brain (and the C2 monitor) are telling you to keep going. I don't really have that problem on the bike because the pedal cadence is significantly higher, so on the bike it's a "flow" thing, not a continuous serious of separate decisions.

Recently I've been having problems with my right elbow, so I didn't do much rowing this past winter, but hopefully things will improve next winter...

happycampyer
08-08-2014, 12:30 PM
anyone tried this variation?

http://www.concept2.com.au/indoor-rowers/dynamicI have the C2 dynamic erg, and I would not recommend it for someone who is not an experienced rower (and I think C2 filters who they sell them to—they don't have them in their online store, and one has to call and talk to them before they are willing to sell one). It feels much more like being on water, especially on the recovery phase of the stroke (being stationary on the erg feels more like the way a boat runs under you as you recover to the catch/start of the stroke), and the catch requires a lot more technique since the foot stretchers move and the slide/seat is not fixed.

Repack Rider
08-08-2014, 12:51 PM
A rowing machine will definitely help your cycling. You will find it so boring that you will go for a ride.

jamesutiopia
08-08-2014, 12:56 PM
I row 10 minutes every day on a machine at the local gym.

What (if any) benefits exist from this exercise for improving strength/endurance for bike riding?

Splash

I did quite a lot of rowing in my younger years, and still get out on the water regularly. Boats are much less forgiving of poor conditioning/form than bikes...

I find it faster to a get a good cardio workout on the erg. All ergs are basically all the same (C2 owns the market), and a quick wipe-down with a wet rag is all it usually takes to make any erg you find in your travels usable. They're good for staying in shape while traveling.

I prefer riding as an activity, so I do that whenever I can!

Louis
08-08-2014, 02:54 PM
A rowing machine will definitely help your cycling. You will find it so boring that you will go for a ride.

Not nearly as bad as riding a bike inside.

Bud_E
08-11-2014, 09:59 PM
Not nearly as bad as riding a bike inside.

+1.

If you're unsure about your form it's worth getting a few lessons from a rowing instructor so you don't injure yourself.

dawgie
08-12-2014, 08:32 AM
I used to row 1-2 days/week for cross-training. It definitely helps your overall fitness, upper body and core muscles. However, I found that a vigorous rowing session would absolutely destroy my climbing legs for a couple days afterwards. I quickly learned not to use the rowing machine before fast group rides.

I really liked using the rowing machine, more so than a stationary bike. Perhaps it was the variety that helped because I generally cycle 4-6 days/week.