PDA

View Full Version : Coaching: Local or online?

FastforaSlowGuy
08-07-2014, 12:33 PM
After a couple of bumpy years plagued by knee problems (2013) and a slow return to fitness (2014), I'm looking to get back into racing shape so I can more confidently toe the occasional line in 2015. I'm not talking about driving all over New England to pin on a number and chase pizza gift certificates every weekend. I'm talking about turning up to a half dozen or 10 events and not embarrassing myself as a Cat IV. I'd also like to hone in a bit more on where my strengths are, so that I can be a bit smarter about racing to those strengths. If I could upgrade at some point, all the better, but it doesn't keep me up at night. During all those non-racing weeks, I'd be happy to be able to mix it up a bit more on fast group rides.

As I've posted before, I'm a truly lousy self-coach. Plus, I think having someone else out there setting out the program makes me more accountable, and paying them keeps my guilt-motivation working in my favor. I used a local coach briefly in 2012, but the training felt like it was clipped out of a magazine. I'm really looking for someone to help me do some goal setting (again, based on what I'm realistically going to be decent at), and build a plan around those goals. I'm aware of the well-known online outfits (FasCat, Peaks, etc.), but some folks say that a local coach is better. Whomever I use, I need that person to be data oriented. The offseason in MA is long, cold and dark, and staring at my power numbers on the trainer is pretty necessary to keep me honest.

With all that as background, I'd appreciate hearing others' experiences with different coaching options. What did you like/not like, how did you make your selection, did it matter whether the coach was located 10 miles or 1000 miles away?

ptourkin
08-07-2014, 02:23 PM
I'm being coached remotely via Training Peaks and phone calls/emails and I'm happy with it. If you can follow the schedule and provide enough data via hrm/power/Garmin it can work out fine. My caveat would be that I am training for long solo endurance events and I'm not sure I'd benefit from riding with a local coach as much as a road racer would. Also, I do ride with a coach in person on the track when I'm doing speed work.

If you are getting what you need regarding tactics etc.. from fast group rides, it could work for you.

leftyfreak
08-07-2014, 02:32 PM
Ti Designs. He's much nicer in person than online. And he's a great coach.

kgreene10
08-07-2014, 03:03 PM
I've been getting remote coaching via TP and phone/email for a couple of years. I know the coach and we have met in person but he's 1k miles away. I had previously worked with a local coach but this remote situation is better because I see eye to eye with the new coach and we communicate well. For me, that's the most important. I never got face time with the local coach anyway and we never road together. Nevertheless, all things equal, I think local is better because s/he will know the terrain for workout route selection and for race strategy.

Tandem Rider
08-07-2014, 03:17 PM
Local coach you can occasionally ride with is the best in your situation. You say you are a cat 4, don't take this as an insult, it's a reality check. There is a LOT more to racing than being a wattwatcher with a number pinned on. You need a bicycle racing coach's eyes on you to do the rest. Otherwise just buy a canned program and pound away at the pedals until you are injured, frustrated, or burnt out.

FastforaSlowGuy
08-07-2014, 03:34 PM
Local coach you can occasionally ride with is the best in your situation. You say you are a cat 4, don't take this as an insult, it's a reality check. There is a LOT more to racing than being a wattwatcher with a number pinned on. You need a bicycle racing coach's eyes on you to do the rest. Otherwise just buy a canned program and pound away at the pedals until you are injured, frustrated, or burnt out.

Zero offense taken. I'm keenly aware that I'm a "stupid" bike racer. Not unsafe, just at the steep part of the learning curve. I've found out the hard way how easy it is to get caught out in the wind too long and how hard it can be to hold good position in a pack. I've also been that guy who blows up early following the wrong move, so that I'm suffering at the back when the real racing starts. Some of that will come with experience, but I never say "no" to tips from guys/gals that know better.

I'm also aware that getting my fitness from it's current state to where it should be will require some hard work. Especially on solo rides and trainer sessions, I've found having a PM helpful to keep me focused on the task at hand. I don't look at it while racing, but it keeps me honest and self-aware in training.

MattTuck
08-07-2014, 03:46 PM
I've heard good things about Chris Carmichael, I heard he coached some folks to unbelievable results. Also this guy Dr. Ferrari, I've heard people have tremendous performance with his programs.

ymmv, as always.

carpediemracing
08-07-2014, 03:51 PM
I'd go for a local coach. If you lived in the middle of nowhere maybe a remote coach would make sense but in Boston? There must be a slew of coaches around, and they'll know all the races/courses that you'll even think about doing. They may even have some relative numbers etc as reference from other riders they coach, or themselves for that matter.

Communication is key, but I think you already sort of said that.

Finally I think that almost anyone will be able to get you into some kind of shape. The difference will be in applying that fitness when it comes to a race situation.

Ti Designs
08-07-2014, 04:32 PM
Local coach you can occasionally ride with is the best in your situation.

Easy to say, hard to do. People don't understand the learning curve, they think a ride or two is going to do it - it's not. Coaching a rider and really making a difference takes lots of time. I always laugh at the coaches who charge $100/hour to ride with a client. I was coached by John Allis, we rode together 3 or 4 times a week for 25 years. John coached riders because he saw the need, I coach riders to pay forward what I own John, and because I love to see the results.

http://autobus.cyclingnews.com/letters/2001/nov12letters.shtml#coaches

nm87710
08-07-2014, 04:45 PM
Good Luck

CunegoFan
08-07-2014, 05:25 PM
Also this guy Dr. Ferrari, I've heard people have tremendous performance with his programs.

Ferrari offers coaching through his 53x12.com site. Yup, even Freds can be coached by Dr. Ferrari.

FastforaSlowGuy
08-07-2014, 07:08 PM
Holy crap. I thought you guys were joking but that site is real! Bet it's a simple plan: Base Phase: take lots of drugs. Build Phase: get really skinny Peak: do both.

shovelhd
08-07-2014, 07:08 PM
My coach lives on the west coast. We do everything remotely. However I am not a Cat4 and don't need in-person instruction. Remote can work well if the coach is the right fit for your needs.

FastforaSlowGuy
08-07-2014, 08:09 PM
Thanks for all the input folks. Very helpful, really. Sounds like for an inexperienced racer, having someone local is ideal. Remote for fitness, but local if you need to learn tactics, efficiency, and race smarts.

sandyrs
08-07-2014, 08:23 PM
Thanks for all the input folks. Very helpful, really. Sounds like for an inexperienced racer, having someone local is ideal. Remote for fitness, but local if you need to learn tactics, efficiency, and race smarts.

Sara from Pedal Power is local and has the best dog in NE.

shovelhd
08-07-2014, 09:05 PM

Learning those things, for a less experienced racer, yes local may be better, but I go over all these things with my coach remotely and it works just fine.

Bruce K
08-08-2014, 04:41 AM
Late to the party but there are 2 VERY good coaches on the North Shore

Janda Ricci-Munn & Phil Wong

Janda is a former pro triathlete with many successful trainees in cycling , triathlon, and marathon

Phil is a former pro cyclist (Jittery Joe's & Jelly Belly). He is a BG advanced fitter as well . He is currently coaching racers from Cat4 to Cat1. He also runs a winter indoor program.

BK

Hls2k6
08-08-2014, 06:26 AM
A good coach is a good coach, bet it remote or local. All things being equal, of course someone who can ride with you, knows the courses and events you're doing, and is also at the same races is an additional benefit. It's just not enough to make a crummy local coach better than good remote one.

That said, New England has some fabulous coaches. Mine is in Connecticut and is amazing. We talk every week about how I'm feeling, what events I'm doing, what my schedule is for the upcoming week, diet, work, stress, etc.

You're right that a coach keeps you accountable and from slacking off, but as you get stronger and better, he or she will do more of the opposite. For me, the big thing is keeping me from going too hard and burning out by not doing too many hard days, structuring the order of my workouts to avoid unneeded stress, and working in easy and rest weeks.

Also, when I inevitably do get a little tired and my body or mind starts forcing me to fall off the wagon, a great coach is invaluable. It's less stressful, easier to put in perspective, and way less likely to snowball into more than a couple of weeks of needed respite.