PDA

View Full Version : Incline Leg Press for Glute Strengthening

Splash
08-07-2014, 11:16 AM
I read elsewhere that 40 degree incline leg press is great for strengthening the g lute muscle group.

Your thoughts on this ?

What method do you use to strengthen your g lute muscle group?

Splash

azrider
08-07-2014, 11:38 AM
Squats and TT bike

MattTuck
08-07-2014, 11:41 AM
Well, I went through a course of PT earlier this year to strengthen my glutes and was never told to do incline leg press.

Exercises you may consider that were given to me by my PT

clam shells with rubber band
http://www.hygenicblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/reinold2011clamshell.jpg

walking lunge (10 each leg, 2 sets)

glute bridge (hold 5 seconds, 10 on one leg leg, then switch legs, 2 sets)
http://lifeonlybetter.com/yourbestfit/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/Single-leg-glute-bridge.jpg

windmills
http://www.performtherapy.co.uk/_/rsrc/1328375301824/sports-injury-information-centre/sports-injury-solutions-prevention/prehabilitation/hamstring-prehabilitation/windmill.jpg?height=113&width=183

also, single leg squats.

You may also consider this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgWSsaC3UJk

xeladragon
08-07-2014, 12:20 PM
Any exercise that involves a machine is less effective an exercise that doesn't.

dpk501
08-07-2014, 12:46 PM
Incline Leg Press is the worst for your back. Avoid it.

dpk501
08-07-2014, 12:48 PM
Well, I went through a course of PT earlier this year to strengthen my glutes and was never told to do incline leg press.

Exercises you may consider that were given to me by my PT

clam shells with rubber band

walking lunge (10 each leg, 2 sets)

glute bridge (hold 5 seconds, 10 on one leg leg, then switch legs, 2 sets)

windmills

also, single leg squats.

You may also consider this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgWSsaC3UJk

My physical therapist also recommended that I clench a racquet ball between my cheeks and crush it. He also recommended kegels. That being said, he always had a great supply of candy when I visited his office which was in a white van with tinted windows...

FastforaSlowGuy
08-07-2014, 12:50 PM
The down side to a hip sled/leg press (or any other machine) is that the muscles worked can vary by foot placement. Move your feet 5 inches, and you'll end up missing the muscles you were targeting. The upside is that your back is stabilized, so if you're recovering from an injury, it can be an easier way to get back some strength without engaging those other muscles.

Unless you have problems that prevent you from doing so, I think you're better off with squats, lunges and deadlift. Focus on impeccable form and getting deep (thighs parallel with the ground), which is where you'll really engage your glutes. For the outer glutes/hips, the pictured exercise above will do it. If you are trying to get explosive power, though, I don't think there's a substitute for some of the good old fashioned exercises.

MattTuck
08-07-2014, 12:54 PM
Fast brings up a good point. What is the reason you are trying to strengthen your glutes?

For me, it was hamstring dominance. This basically means that my glutes were weak, and that my hamstrings were picking up the slack. As a result, my hamstrings were getting overworked, tight and sore.

So the glute strengthening I was going for was to restore some balance and relieve the stress on the hammy.

If you're going for explosive power, you may be ok with any exercise that strengthens the posterior chain and you may not need to worry so much about isolating the glutes (as my post focused on).

josephr
08-07-2014, 01:08 PM

you beat me too it! These machines have herniated/slipped disk all over them!

edit to add something constructive : front leg squats using a squat rack, low weight/high rep count really helped me...they're not easy though and should have someone watch you the first few times to make sure your technique is right.

Dr Luxurious
08-07-2014, 02:25 PM

How so?
I thought is was safer than, say, free weight squats because your back isn't bearing the load??

FastforaSlowGuy
08-07-2014, 02:29 PM
All comes down to technique and range of motion. If you lower the weight on a hip sled beyond the limits of your flexibility, you'll strain your lower back. So the obvious response is: don't do that. As with any exercise, you need to work within the confines of what your body is capable. If you have have a weak and inflexible lower back, that will impact what exercises you do and how you do them, just as it does how you fit and ride a bike.

batman1425
08-07-2014, 02:34 PM
I don't like sled style machines because they facilitate poor form and allow you to lift more than your core, back, and stabilizer muscles can support, which can increase problems with muscle imbalance issues. Strong legs, weak core.

You need a strong core and back to give your legs something to press against. Free squats, low weight, high rep, focusing on keeping the back straight, head forward and pressing through the heals will do much more for your glutes, VMOs, back, and hip flexors than a sled will.

When I was rowing we would do 2hr long endurance lifts with just the bar. Squats, Lunges, composites (basically a clean but you don't flip your arms under the bar at the top). 8x50 of those three with a set of upright rows in the middle. Sounds silly, looks easy. I assure it you it is not. That will make you strong.

FastforaSlowGuy
08-07-2014, 02:39 PM
I don't like sled style machines because they facilitate poor form and allow you to lift more than your core, back, and stabilizer muscles can support, which can increase problems with muscle imbalance issues. Strong legs, weak core.

You need a strong core and back to give your legs something to press against. Free squats, low weight, high rep, focusing on keeping the back straight, head forward and pressing through the heals will do much more for your glutes, VMOs, back and hip flexors than a sled will.

I'd agree with all this. I tend to think free weight squats are GOOD for your back because it actually strengthens it. If you're doing so much weight that you're straining your back, you're doing too much weight. That's true whether you're doing a set of 20 or a set of 2.

That said, I think sleds and other machines have their place.

dpk501
08-07-2014, 03:07 PM
i'd agree with all this. I tend to think free weight squats are good for your back because it actually strengthens it. If you're doing so much weight that you're straining your back, you're doing too much weight. That's true whether you're doing a set of 20 or a set of 2.

That said, i think sleds and other machines have their place.

+1

dpk501
08-07-2014, 03:10 PM
How so?
I thought is was safer than, say, free weight squats because your back isn't bearing the load??

people typically overestimate the weight they can press, so the go heavier. When you get to the end position of that leg press your lower back is flattening out. With that flattening out you end up having that changing of the curve in your low back which puts undue stress on your back leading to pain and injury as you prepare to push again.

firerescuefin
08-07-2014, 03:10 PM
Further your foot is away from the wall the more it targets your glutes. Focus on firing through your glutes. Don't be surprised if when you start you can't do less than a handful. It's a great bodyweight exercise where you can build all the glute strength you're going to need on the bike without putting your body at risk. You can add holding dumbells if you're feeling really frisky.

Splash
08-07-2014, 04:40 PM
Great responses - keep them coming.

The consensus seems to be incline presses are not as effective or safe as other methods...

This is surprising to me - given the mass volume of websites selling just how good this method for strengthening the g lutes is.

Splash

MattTuck
08-07-2014, 05:09 PM

The consensus seems to be incline presses are not as effective or safe as other methods...

This is surprising to me - given the mass volume of websites selling just how good this method for strengthening the g lutes is.

Splash

What sites are suggesting the method?

Are they sponsored by leg press machine manufacturers?

I don't think people are saying that it is ineffective. Rather, I think that there are better all around exercises out there.

I still am curious what your reason is for wanting to strengthen your glutes.

SlackMan
08-07-2014, 05:27 PM

Splash

A reasonable guess is that posters at many websites are restricting their choice of answers to either weights or weight machines in a gym. Among those, yes, a leg press is a good choice. But if you remove that restriction, I think there are many better solutions like some of those mentioned here. In particular, ones that engage other muscles would likely leave you with a better outcome for cycling.

bcm119
08-07-2014, 07:29 PM
I herniated a disc in large part due to an incline leg press.

In my recovery and to this day, I do the "glute bridge" exercise almost daily that MattTuck mentions above. It is a great exercise for glutes and back, and incorporates balance.

Splash
08-08-2014, 03:05 AM
The web sites I see are common weight lifting/exercises focussed on g lute muscles. Plenty out there.... The Youtube videos show it and then i read the comments after the video - not one talks about the pitfalls that have been described in this thread. I am not disagreeing with anyone here and I am glad I asked the question in the OP, otherwise I could have injured myself and not ridden for a while :-(

These sites are not sponsored by leg press machine manufacturers.

The reasons why I want/need to strengthen my glutes is because I want to make a step change to my hip flex / g lute regions for improved power on the power stroke of my pedal range.

Splash