PDA

View Full Version : New Campy / Shimano 11s compatibility?

FastforaSlowGuy
08-07-2014, 09:45 AM
I know the new Campy is just not hitting the market, so my question may be premature, but has anyone heard anything about the degree of cross-compatibility between new Campy stuff and Shimano 11s? It's well established that chains and cassettes are fine, and braking seems okay (slightly different modulation, but nothing unworkable). It looks like Campy has gone to a long-arm front derailleur, so maybe that would work across groups also? I'm assuming the RD still uses different cable pull, so Campy shifters would need to mate to a Campy RD.

I'd love to give it a try, but as with everything, budget comes into play. Trickling in the parts is easier on my wallet.

GeorgeTSquirrel
08-08-2014, 07:54 AM
I use a 2012 Athena shifter with a 105 FD; it works acceptably. I would presume the same is true with the current 11 speed designs with longer actuation arms on the FD. Then again, it all depends on geometry and I haven't tried it. The Centaur and below QS FD's also had a longer actuation arm, no idea how compatible they are with any of the above.

Word on the street is that cable pull for 2015 will be different, so of the two <2015 and 2015+ you will have different results pulling a Campagnolo RD, let alone a Shimano one.

ANAO
08-08-2014, 08:19 AM
Interested to see how this plays out. Commenting to receive follow up emails...

oldpotatoe
08-08-2014, 02:26 PM
I know the new Campy is just not hitting the market, so my question may be premature, but has anyone heard anything about the degree of cross-compatibility between new Campy stuff and Shimano 11s? It's well established that chains and cassettes are fine, and braking seems okay (slightly different modulation, but nothing unworkable). It looks like Campy has gone to a long-arm front derailleur, so maybe that would work across groups also? I'm assuming the RD still uses different cable pull, so Campy shifters would need to mate to a Campy RD.

I'd love to give it a try, but as with everything, budget comes into play. Trickling in the parts is easier on my wallet.

Altho not as many clicks as 2008 and older Record/Chorus, 2009+ Campagnlo SR/Record/Chorus LH lever still not positional ala shimano or scam so....pretty sure a shimano 5800/6800/9000 fder would work with SR/Record/Chorus LH shifter, including 2015 shifter....altho not sure why you would want to sully up a Campagnolo group like that.