PDA

View Full Version : OT: specific camera, specific question - flash unit on Canon SX280

eddief
08-06-2014, 10:55 PM
I know you guys know just about everything about anything.

Just got a Canon SX280HS point and stupid camera. And boy is it making me feel stupid. Here's the first dumb question. So it has a pop up flash unit on the top edge. When it needs the flash upon focusing, the flash pops up automatically. After taking the shot, the flash is still sticking up. And only goes back down by turning the camera power off. Is it ok to manually push down the flash when the camera is still on. Or do I have to turn it off to get rid of the flash.

bcroslin
08-06-2014, 11:01 PM
I've always just pushed the pop-up strobes back in manually with the p+s's I've owned. Did you check the manual?

eddief
08-06-2014, 11:07 PM
says it pops up, but nothing about going down.

I've always just pushed the pop-up strobes back in manually with the p+s's I've owned. Did you check the manual?

bcroslin
08-06-2014, 11:08 PM
I bet there is a flash deactivation menu. Look for a flash button on the back of the camera and it should allow you to turn the flash off.

gavingould
08-06-2014, 11:15 PM
usually pushing it back down is no problem.

eddief
08-06-2014, 11:50 PM
I don't want to turn it off. I just want it out of the way after a take a picture.

I bet there is a flash deactivation menu. Look for a flash button on the back of the camera and it should allow you to turn the flash off.

djg
08-07-2014, 06:37 AM
If the flash stays up for four hours or more you are supposed to take it to see the camera doctor.

I'm sorry for that -- I wish I had something more useful to offer than that, with a different p & s, I just pushed it down manually and it didn't seem to be a problem.

eddief
08-07-2014, 09:12 AM
say don't push down manually, only use the flash off button. Don't call your doctor.