PDA

View Full Version : Mavic SUP Ceramic Wheels

scooter01
03-02-2006, 08:11 AM
I Have a few extra sets of wheels now in my garage, one set are these Mavic Ceramic SUP wheels with Durace hubs and Ti spokes.
I have no idea how old they are or if they’re worth anything at all.
They are as light as my Mavic SSC's.
Are they worth keeping?

zank
03-02-2006, 08:28 AM
Those would be great for cyclocross! The braking would be fantastic.

I think it's always worth keeping extra sets of wheels around. They sound like great wheels, especially in lousy weather. Keep them for rain wheels.

Too Tall
03-02-2006, 09:40 AM
Zank, that is 'zactly what I was thinking. Perfect wheels for maddness on dirt / gravel roads / bombing around on rough stuff. Those rims will NOT wear out. I built a set for Queen with some custom Clark Kent hubs that she just plain grew tired of!!!

zank
03-02-2006, 10:25 AM
TT, I just wish Reflex tub rims were available with ceramic. The ultimate Al-rimmed cross wheels? Maybe Tune Mig/Mag hubs, Sapim CX-ray spokes, Reflex ceramic rims.

ErgoTT, can you spray on some ceramic for me? :)

ergott
03-02-2006, 10:34 AM
TT, I just wish Reflex tub rims were available with ceramic. The ultimate Al-rimmed cross wheels? Maybe Tune Mig/Mag hubs, Sapim CX-ray spokes, Reflex ceramic rims.

ErgoTT, can you spray on some ceramic for me? :)

I can do better than spraying them myself. Let's just say that they have been known to appear here and there and they are not NOS.

zank
03-02-2006, 10:52 AM
Hmmmm, sounds kinda underground. Like race-stock skis. You gotta know someone who knows someone who knows......

I'm in. Please let me know!

bironi
03-02-2006, 12:00 PM
I've used these for years on my rain bikes. They do hold up very well. You should get the right break pads to work well with the ceramic surface.

Byron

Too Tall
03-02-2006, 12:52 PM
Yeah Eric....break out the good stuff!
Speaking of BombProof. I took a chance on an inexpensive set of used set of wheels for general track mass start races. DA High Flange track hubs (28/32), Mavic CXP30 3x rear and radial fr. with some NICE Vittoria Atlantas as part of the deal. Nice wheels, someone knew what they were doing.

Noooo flex in these bad boys. They'll be real nice at T town for what I've got in mind ;)

Serotta PETE
03-02-2006, 02:21 PM
I Have a few extra sets of wheels now in my garage, one set are these Mavic Ceramic SUP wheels with Durace hubs and Ti spokes.
I have no idea how old they are or if they’re worth anything at all.
They are as light as my Mavic SSC's.
Are they worth keeping?

I have these on my "travel" bike and also on my winter wheels. THey and bomb proof and really stop in the wet very well.