PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else seeing all these bogus Moots ads on CL?

Dead Man
08-06-2014, 05:11 PM
For the past couple weeks, I've been coming across ridiculously priced Moots bikes on the Portland craigs... $1100-1300 for Psychlo X, Vamoots for way less than anyone would sell, etc.. there's been like 4 of them. No phone, just email... and emailing, no response.

I think the next one I find, I'm going to email "I'm in ____ (some far away location), would you ship this to me for an extra $100???" or some such and see if I finally get a response- 'cause all I can figure is they're fishing for a quick $1400 to jack from an out-of-state searcher.

Anyone else seeing this strangeness?

Dead Man
08-06-2014, 05:18 PM
Here's the most recent

http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/bik/4606337284.html

My size and everything

I'll give the benefit of the doubt - I emailed and said I'd buy it. I'm not holding out much hope of a response, though. Just like the last two or three

Hepmike
08-06-2014, 05:32 PM
I saw the Psychlo X (YBB also) that was posted last week for $1100. Although that one had some messed up information (pictured a SRAM RD and said it was all DA in the ad).
This most recent ad has a lot more specific information (and the 'phisher-man' is obviously knowledgeable to some degree). It's quite annoying, and if we're just noticing the bogus Moots ads, how many others are there? It seems like a waste of time if all they are doing is collecting email addy's (cuz they never reply)

Dead Man
08-06-2014, 05:38 PM
Just a reminder to remember that the rest of the internet is not like Paceline or even eBay... what you see might not be what you get.

Even if I did get a response, I don't think I'd go alone.

Dead Man
08-06-2014, 06:07 PM
Might also explain some others....

http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/bik/4605264993.html

Google search of the picture given makes it bogus (not necessarily the ad), but again- email "I'll take it," no response.

lil_champ
08-06-2014, 06:07 PM
I tried replying to this one too. It looks a bit more legit than the one from last week, except for the price. I haven't heard anything.

What would be the point of putting up fake ads?

Dead Man
08-06-2014, 06:09 PM
I tried replying to this one too. It looks a bit more legit than the one from last week, except for the price. I haven't heard anything.

With "all of craigslist" searching ability, people often search for stuff out of state. I've done it. I've even bought stuff from people from doing it- sending them money and trusting they're actually going to send me a product. So far so good, but I've only done it with small stuff- less than $200 or so.

I'd get someone from here to facilitate a deal for a $1000+ bike... but others might be more trusting.

That's just my guess though.

pdmtong
08-06-2014, 06:10 PM

Collecting email IDs

In the past two weeks I have gotten A LOT more spam, as in more spam than every before. with those, open and add to your spam list but DO NOT click on the unsubscribe button on the email and follow the path.

Dead Man
08-06-2014, 06:35 PM
Collecting email IDs

In the past two weeks I have gotten A LOT more spam, as in more spam than every before. with those, open and add to your spam list but DO NOT click on the unsubscribe button on the email and follow the path.

Are you guys using the craigslist email server to email on these bikes? If so, no issues with email... all they get is a random CL issued ID

unterhausen
08-06-2014, 09:57 PM
to answer the question why, the people that shop for bobcats on CL have gotten wise to the fact that nobody sells one for $3000. So they are moving on to different markets. I have a friend that complains bitterly about the CL car ads that are supposedly from servicement that have some service-related reason they need to sell a car. It's all a scam. I'm sure the perpetrators have B.S. detectors and are pretty good at figuring out if they are being contacted by someone that is on to them

pdmtong
08-06-2014, 10:51 PM
Are you guys using the craigslist email server to email on these bikes? If so, no issues with email... all they get is a random CL issued ID

hey..that's correct. I was thinking about something else regarding email span and ID collection. when CL implemented the email server it sanitized all the IDs...which is great.