PDA

View Full Version : Things seen on my ride today

Bruce K
08-06-2014, 05:09 PM
So I took the cx bike to Captiva after all

While my wife went shelling today I went for a 30 mile jaunt around Captiva and Sanibel

Besides the usual pelicans, ibis, egrets, herons, etc, I had two very interesting and special wildlife sightings:

On my way through Ding Darling Wildlife Preserve a 6-8 foot alligator decided to cross the road about 25 feet in front of me (no sprint required - just patience for him to go)

But the more special was a Florida Panther who decided to cross Middle Gulf Rd about 30-40 feet in front of me. I have never seen one before - very cool

No time in either case to get the cell phone out and get a good shot (dang!)

BK

p nut
08-06-2014, 05:13 PM
I once saw a bobcat in the middle of the road, riding out in the middle of nowhere. Somewhat freaky being by myself. Not sure what I would have done if I saw a gator and a panther. :eek:

moose8
08-06-2014, 05:23 PM
That's awesome. I would love to see something like that. Best I've had was a fox sharing the road with me on a midnight ride once.

rustychisel
08-06-2014, 05:30 PM
That's brilliant Bruce, big fan of wildlife spotting, not to mention knowing what's going on around you. And all made possible by the silence and utility of the bicycle.

Louis
08-06-2014, 05:30 PM
Yesterday I saw a fox crossing about 15 yards up the road from me. First I thought it was a cat, realized it more dog-shaped, then finally it dawned on me that it was a fox. He (she?) stopped at the side of the road and watched me ride by.

bikinchris
08-06-2014, 05:56 PM
Yes, I have seen lots of gators, since I have at least three on my normal route. Sometimes on the road, too. But seeing a panther is very cool!

jr59
08-06-2014, 06:13 PM
I was born here in Fl. Raised west of the turnpike in S. Fl, which made me a swap rat. Went to school here, and spent at least 40 of my 55 years here in this state.

I have NEVER seen a Fl panther at all. I have herd them close by, but never seen one at all. Bobcats, gators, big pythons, parrots, and wild chimps, but no panthers.

It is WAY COOL to see one in the wild!

pitonpat
08-06-2014, 06:32 PM
Two days ago, at dusk, I surprised a 6 pt buck (whitetail deer) at road edge as I emerged from a wooded hill climb. The antlers were still in velvet. I don't know which of us was more startled...he snorted loudly and leapt into the nearby woods line and disappeared!

I see lots of does on my rides...typically a dozen or so on each ride but it's rare to see a buck. There's plenty of wildlife hereabouts; red fox, ground hogs, Mr. Squirrel & his chipmunk cousins, 'possums, skunks (oddly, mostly flat ones on the road!) and there is one delightful narrow creek valley I often ride through that always has yellow Finches & Baltimore Orioles flitting about.

It's fun moving silently (and slowly) through the landscape.

Cicli
08-06-2014, 06:48 PM
I see a bunch of deer all the time. Raccoons, foxes and coyotes are also common.

I did see a bunch of cougars in a bowling alley parking lot once. They watched me ride by. :eek:

Ralph
08-06-2014, 06:50 PM
Thanks for the Sanabel/Captiva report. No place like Sanabel/Captiva Island. It's probably even cheap compared to Boothbay, Martha's Vinyard, Bar Harbor, etc. (places that bust my Florida wallet) While it is flat on the islands, I always enjoy riding there and get in plenty of miles there. Whether take along an old road bike, or use hotel cruisers. Just get on island time and kick back and enjoy. Lots to see in Ding Darling National Wildlife Refuge....which makes up about 2/3 of the island. Enjoy the rest of your visit.

ceewho
08-06-2014, 07:16 PM
I did see a bunch of cougars in a bowling alley parking lot once. They watched me ride by. :eek:

I'm unclear about whether or not you are referring to humans. If that's the case, I'm pretty sure I've seen many cougars in parking lots.

tiretrax
08-06-2014, 07:18 PM
That's awesome, Bruce. I hope you have a great trip.

I saw a coyote today as big as a german shephard. He stopped in the middle of the road and stared at me and two cars that crossed his path.

THE ARS
08-06-2014, 07:30 PM
This thread is useless without pitchers.

http://catalog.scpauctions.com/ItemImages/000020/20041a_lg.jpeg

krhea
08-06-2014, 09:19 PM
I was born here in Fl. Raised west of the turnpike in S. Fl, which made me a swap rat. Went to school here, and spent at least 40 of my 55 years here in this state.

I have NEVER seen a Fl panther at all. I have herd them close by, but never seen one at all. Bobcats, gators, big pythons, parrots, and wild chimps, but no panthers.

It is WAY COOL to see one in the wild!

Would love to ask about both the "wild chimps" and especially the "big" pythons, care to elaborate...PLEASE

bcroslin
08-06-2014, 10:40 PM
But the more special was a Florida Panther who decided to cross Middle Gulf Rd about 30-40 feet in front of me. I have never seen one before - very cool

No time in either case to get the cell phone out and get a good shot (dang!)

BK

I really want to believe you saw a Florida Panther but as far as I know there aren't any on Sanibel/ Captiva. You likely saw a large bob cat. But, if you're sure it was a panther you might want to give FL fish and wildlife a call and let them know.

bcroslin
08-06-2014, 10:57 PM
Would love to ask about both the "wild chimps" and especially the "big" pythons, care to elaborate...PLEASE

The Everglades is full of pythons as well as all sorts of other stuff like Asian carp and iguanas. A google search will result in hundreds of stories. The reptile du jour right now in central FL is the tegu lizard (http://www.tampabay.com/news/environment/wildlife/wildlife-officials-ready-to-round-up-menacing-tegu-lizards-video/2190506). People buy these things as pets and release them when the get tired of them.

The monkeys on the other hand are a really interesting story. There is a large troop of rhesus macaques in Silver Springs near Ocala that have been thriving since the 1930s. A few years ago one was driven out of the troop and it traveled nearly 100 miles south ending up in St Petersburg. It attacked a woman who had been feeding it and FL fish and wildlife captured it. Steven Colbert did several segments on it and the Tampa Bay Times wrote a bunch of stories. (http://www.tampabay.com/news/environment/wildlife/mystery-monkey-of-tampa-bay-bites-woman-in-st-petersburg/1255631)

Bruce K
08-07-2014, 02:08 AM
Spoke with folks at Ding Darling and some locals I know. Both said it was too big for a bobcat, plus the tail was too long. I asked about calling and they both said the F&W folks know about it but I might just call anyways.

BK

jr59
08-07-2014, 04:22 AM

When I grew up in S.Fl, Miami area, anything west of the turnpike was everglades. I mean the deep swamp. Not like now, now it's all built out, but then it was very wild.

The chimps got away from somebody and thrived in the glades. From time to time, I would see some climbing on the telephone/power poles close to where we lived. No big deal, just another pest to get in our trash and such.

As far as pythons go, well I have been down there within the last few years and saw a 10 ft one being caught by the game warden, or whatever they are called now.

The everglades is a tropical environment that allows many creatures to thrive that do not belong there.

djg
08-07-2014, 06:34 AM
Riding past gators and panthers . . . a meals on wheels program?

bcroslin
08-07-2014, 09:43 AM
Spoke with folks at Ding Darling and some locals I know. Both said it was too big for a bobcat, plus the tail was too long. I asked about calling and they both said the F&W folks know about it but I might just call anyways.

BK

You have seen the proverbial unicorn of Florida. People go there whole lives living in the Everglades without seeing a panther. That's awesome.

It's also a great sign that there might be panthers that far north and on Captiva/ Sanibel. Hopefully it will stay away from the roads as we've had a few get run over recently.

joosttx
08-07-2014, 10:56 AM
Last Sunday I saw a bobcat riding up HWY 1 from Muir beach it was really neat to see.

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5579/14637626947_a9c821cdf0_c.jpg

Saint Vitus
08-07-2014, 11:40 AM
20+ years ago on a desolate road in the panhandle (Ashville hwy out of Monticello) a rather large pig traveled into my path. My choices were:

1) Roll off the throttle and onto what little shoulder existed, since beyond that was swamp and trees. Check
2) Continue on my line and let the chips fall where they may. Check

Since it all happened pretty quickly, my options were basically to prepare for a wreck. Just when the porker was a couple of feet from my front wheel, he stopped and backed up.

In Torrey Pines/Sorrento valley you will see bobcat and deer, I've seen and heard of sightings of both on the company property even though it's pretty built up and the interstate (5) is right there.

mnoble485
08-09-2014, 10:29 AM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/08/09/ugy7u3us.jpg
There is a MUT in Polk City Fl. That goes thru the Green Swamp. We see these all the time and an occasional wild pig.

Mike

Looked again and realized its hard to see but there is a 6' gator in there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

malcolm
08-09-2014, 11:43 AM
Last Sunday I saw a bobcat riding up HWY 1 from Muir beach it was really neat to see.

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5579/14637626947_a9c821cdf0_c.jpg

Is that a screen shot from video or where you able to grab a camera and take that. I've seen a bunch of bob cat's but they usually don't hang around long enough for me to stop and get a camera.

William
08-09-2014, 01:54 PM
http://i.imgur.com/97FhVL7.jpg

:D

William