PDA

View Full Version : Regluing on a headbadge question

572cv
08-06-2014, 12:33 PM
Back in July, Ahsere was so very kind as to send me a metal Serotta headbadge for my wife's Serotta Concours, from off his crashed bike. I got it all cleaned off, and then got sidetracked with a zillion other things.....

Now putting it back on is getting near the top of the pile again, and it occurs to me that I don't know what kind of glue to use on it !??!?
:confused:

Might I trouble the forum for suggestions on this? BTW, the current headtube is painted, if that makes any difference.

Thanks.

pavel
08-06-2014, 01:16 PM
i have used epoxy in the past with good results.

you could probably also get away with using silicone shower sealant if you are afraid of getting the positioning wrong. Easy to clean up and easy to remove, while staying firmly in position and wont come off. (sorry, i dont know what the glue buzz-phrase version of "laterally stiff and vertically compliant" is.)

Pete Mckeon
08-06-2014, 01:21 PM
Numerous times with good results as Pavel discussed - - -as long as badge is touching HT in all areas. (not bent

you could probably also get away with using silicone shower sealant if you are afraid of getting the positioning wrong. Easy to clean up and easy to remove, while staying firmly in position and wont come off. (sorry, i dont know what the glue buzz-phrase version of "laterally stiff and vertically compliant" is.)

ctam
08-06-2014, 01:42 PM
I used some stuff from 3M before. I think it was called Fast Tack but it looks like they also make some stuff specific for bonding emblems for cars (called 3M plastic emblem and trim adhesive).

I had to order a new HT badge from litespeed a long time ago and I think the instructions said to use 3M....

cekte
08-06-2014, 01:49 PM
I have also used 3M Fast Tack before with decent results. Though the emblem/trim adhesive from 3M sounds like it may work even better.

victoryfactory
08-06-2014, 01:52 PM

"High shear resistance, low peel strength "

I think silicone would work too.

VF

p nut
08-06-2014, 01:53 PM
This double-sided tape would work, too. I haven't used it on a headbadge, but had to use it on my car's vent visors. This stuff holds it on there Solid. Plus, no glue to mess with.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Scotch-1-in-x-1-66-yd-Exterior-Mounting-Tape-411-DC/100575385

SHOCK
08-06-2014, 02:20 PM
This is what we actually used at Serotta and now use at No. 22. It is amazingly sticky. It does not fill huge gaps and is not repositionable.

3M 468 MP Adhesive Tape.

http://www.amazon.com/TapeCase-468MP-Adhesive-Transfer-Tape/dp/B007Y7CZDM/ref=pd_sim_indust_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=0K5CA54GJR49D8KG7SAV

AngryScientist
08-06-2014, 02:22 PM
go to the auto parts store and get trim adhesive. 3M makes good stuff, and it is designed for exactly the purpose you're looking for. many similar adhesives will do just fine, but if you need to buy something anyway, may as well get the right stuff.

http://www.3m.com/product/images/Ultrapro-Trim-Emblem-Adhesive-300.jpg

djg21
08-06-2014, 04:19 PM

3M Fast Tack trim adhesive. It's designed to glue trim on the exteriors of autos.

572cv
08-06-2014, 04:31 PM
Fabulous responses !

Thanks everybody. This calls for banana guys....:banana::banana:

Vamoots58
08-07-2014, 06:40 AM
headbadges to frames. It is perfect for this application unless....you ever want to take the badge off again!

Mr Cabletwitch
08-07-2014, 10:19 AM
I've used shoe goo before. That stuff is amazing glues anything and you can always take it off later if need be.

Seramount
08-07-2014, 11:28 AM
a small dab of adhesive or silicone sealer is what I'd use.

not much stress on a HB.