PDA

View Full Version : 2015 Salsa Colossal Ti?

c-record
08-05-2014, 10:39 PM
I think I want one. No rational need, just seems like it's baby blue and very nice. Opinions?

JAGI410
08-05-2014, 11:04 PM
Looks like they added a bit more tire clearance, and yeah the new color is hot. Get one!

commonguy001
08-06-2014, 05:55 AM
I think it looks great and they've addressed the two weak points as I saw them. They added tire clearance and added fender mounts or the ability to add fender mounts.
I like it
I really like the steel version too which is really orange!

eippo1
08-06-2014, 06:35 AM
Yah, it looks like they addressed the weak points of the build - no fenders, no clearance and made it a lot more versatile. And yeah, it looks awesome. I do wonder why they went with a thru axle for a full road bike, though. I'm getting a Warbird Ti and am eagerly awaiting parts to complete the build.

http://salsacycles.com/files/blog/2015_Colossal_Ti_CO_trip.jpg

gomango
08-06-2014, 06:47 AM
I think it looks great and they've addressed the two weak points as I saw them. They added tire clearance and added fender mounts or the ability to add fender mounts.
I like it
I really like the steel version too which is really orange!

Salsa's lineup looks solid for 2015. The suspension version of the Fargo is tempting for sure.

I like the Colossal ti frameset's features a bunch, but the build spec at $4,500 looks similar to the $2,200 Raleigh Tamland 2. In fact, the Tamland replaces the BB7s on the ti with TRP Spyres. I really do prefer the TRPs at this point after riding my brother's Tamland 2 last weekend.

This segment is getting crowded with really nice bikes. I would ride a bunch and compare them to the sweet ride of the Colossal's ti frameset before I plunk down the $$$.

gomango
08-06-2014, 06:50 AM
Yah, it looks like they addressed the weak points of the build - no fenders, no clearance and made it a lot more versatile. And yeah, it looks awesome. I do wonder why they went with a thru axle for a full road bike, though. I'm getting a Warbird Ti and am eagerly awaiting parts to complete the build.

http://salsacycles.com/files/blog/2015_Colossal_Ti_CO_trip.jpg

You'll love the ride of the Warbird. I ride with a guy that has one and he swears by it. I've ridden the bike as well and certainly prefer the ride to my Merckx AluCross.

commonguy001
08-06-2014, 07:07 AM
Salsa's lineup looks solid for 2015. The suspension version of the Fargo is tempting for sure.

I like the Colossal ti frameset's features a bunch, but the build spec at $4,500 looks similar to the $2,200 Raleigh Tamland 2. In fact, the Tamland replaces the BB7s on the ti with TRP Spyres. I really do prefer the TRPs at this point after riding my brother's Tamland 2 last weekend.

This segment is getting crowded with really nice bikes. I would ride a bunch and compare them to the sweet ride of the Colossal's ti frameset before I plunk down the $$$.

That's true, the jump on the Ti is huge $$$ wise.

When I got my Ti Warbird the MSRP was less and I didn't pay anywhere near MSRP. It's also really good on the road with some Challenge Paris Roubaix rubber on it.

gomango
08-06-2014, 07:22 AM

When I got my Ti Warbird the MSRP was less and I didn't pay anywhere near MSRP. It's also really good on the road with some Challenge Paris Roubaix rubber on it.

I bet it rides great with those tires.

When you wear those out try the Compass Stampede Pass. I have a set on my Merckx and they are fantastic. I wish I could fit the 700 x38 Barlow Pass on there, as a little more width down at the river would be welcome right now with the sand and muck.

I usually just throw the Grifos back on if I know I am spending the day off road.

eippo1
08-06-2014, 07:58 AM

Yah, I work part-time at a dealer and have been lusting over a Ti Warbird ever since I saw it in the store. So saw that they had one frameset in 56 left when looking up something for a customer and just said "that's mine." I'll be running Vittoria XN's on there for D2R2, but will most likely get some Challenge Paris Roubaix tires for it as well. I hear the Compass tires tend to hold up better than the Challenge ones. Any truth to that?

Also, sorry for the hijack. I seriously considered the 2015 Colossal TI, but a few factors swayed my in the direction of the Warbird.

-Wanted to pick my build and the thru-axle bothered me. No real rational reason especially given the hub I chose is avail. w/ a thru-axle option

-Own 2 road bikes already and both can clear 28's w/ Crud fenders (3 if you count the Dean in the classifieds :rolleyes:)

-Wanted to be able to comfortably do one or two cross races a season

-Have nerve issues in my right arm and makes more sense for me to have a bike that can run large tires as a multi-surface bike

-Wanted something new for D2R2 and the Colossal 2015 isn't available yet
-I keep misspelling the Colassal (sic.) and do not have that problem with the Warbird

gomango
08-06-2014, 09:16 AM
All valid reasons to buy a Warbird. :)

As for the Compass tires, I will switch a few bikes to these as the others wear out. I use wider tires on my sport tourers and the Compass tires are worth every penny. I still like the PRs just fine and have never had flatting issues like many have suffered through. They are a major pain in the rear to install though, as are the Strada Biancas I use. The Compass Stampede Pass were a snap to install on my Fulcrums and they simply outroll/handle the PR/Strada Biancas, as well as the Paselas I use occasionally.

FWIW I am using the Compass Chinook Pass tires on my Serotta/Winter CSI disc build. It should be a whale of an all roader next season.

Also sorry for the thread drift.

Yah, I work part-time at a dealer and have been lusting over a Ti Warbird ever since I saw it in the store. So saw that they had one frameset in 56 left when looking up something for a customer and just said "that's mine." I'll be running Vittoria XN's on there for D2R2, but will most likely get some Challenge Paris Roubaix tires for it as well. I hear the Compass tires tend to hold up better than the Challenge ones. Any truth to that?

Also, sorry for the hijack. I seriously considered the 2015 Colossal TI, but a few factors swayed my in the direction of the Warbird.

-Wanted to pick my build and the thru-axle bothered me. No real rational reason especially given the hub I chose is avail. w/ a thru-axle option

-Own 2 road bikes already and both can clear 28's w/ Crud fenders (3 if you count the Dean in the classifieds :rolleyes:)

-Have nerve issues in my right arm and makes more sense for me to have a bike that can run large tires as a multi-surface bike

-I keep misspelling the Colassal (sic.) and do not have that problem with the Warbird

c-record
08-06-2014, 09:42 AM
No problem on the thread drift... it looks like people really like the Warbird.

I'm not sure on the Colossal Ti, I don't need it but it sure looks great. Anyone ridden one and have an opinion on the ride quality against other nice Ti road bikes?

Cornfed
08-06-2014, 09:49 AM

I'm in the same boat and have been looking for an upgrade to my Salsa Vaya, which I currently have set up for use as my gravel bike. Been looking at the Kona Rove Ti and the Warbird Ti. Anyone ridden both and/or can provide a comparison perspective?

abalone
10-14-2014, 11:41 AM
I'm a bit late to this thread, but I wanted to add my 2 pennies. I'm really digging this bike. There is one weird thing though about the differences between the Colossal Ti Thru axle frame and the Colossal Steel thru axle frame.

The Colossal Ti has thru axles, front and rear, which I think is great. The Colossal steel only has thru axles on the fork, which is not so great. Why Salsa did this, I don't know. The frames not only differ in material, Ti vs steel... But they also differ in this thru axle spec. They might as well have called the biks, the Colossal Ti front and read thru axle disc bike, and the Steel Colossal front only thru axle disc bike.

Caley Frentz , and others at Velonews have written about the advantages of thru axle of road bikes. One distinct advantage of thru axle discs s the stiffness that it adds. On a road fork, there is no suspension. So standing out of the saddle produces some flex that causes the disc to rub the disc brake calipers. You don't get this with rim brakes or with MTN bike disc brakes because of the front suspension, but you most certainly get this with road disc brakes. And you especially get this on the front fork even if you adjust the disc calipers a bit wide of the disc. With thru axle... Problem solved. Completely.

Another advantage of thru axle discs over regular quick release discs is the ability to have perfect, repeatable positioning of the wheel between the disc calipers each and every time when putting a wheel in with no fussing about.

foo_fighter
11-05-2014, 01:22 AM
The 2015 Litespeed T5D is very similar and at a similar price.

Alwurst
11-05-2014, 08:23 AM
Have you checked out the GT Grade Carbon? Great spec. at a great price if you can live with a Carbon frame.

c-record
11-05-2014, 10:08 AM

Thanks for the info. I checked out the bike and after getting over the shock of the unattractive disc brake bridge it's not a bad looking bike. Litespeed hasn't been on my want list for sometime though.

c-record
11-05-2014, 10:10 AM
Have you checked out the GT Grade Carbon? Great spec. at a great price if you can live with a Carbon frame.

For this I'd want to go Ti or maybe steel. Love Ti, have owned many Ti bikes and currently only have two. I think it makes a lot of sense for this type of application.

I also love carbon. For this bike though... not so much. The GT does look like a nice bike and a deal.

I think the new Colossal is starting to ship now.

bingomck
12-28-2014, 10:15 PM

Nice bike as well. No fender mounts though unless I'm missing them, correct?

Raymo853
01-12-2015, 02:12 PM
Does anyone have a good photo of 2015 Colossal frame tire clearance on the chain and seat stays? With the 2014 it was ok but not grand.

Raymo853
01-25-2015, 07:05 PM
My hopes were dashed today. I went to my local shop to order a steel 56 and was told they are out of stock for the foreseeable future. Could be weeks or months. The store manager is meeting with QBP in three weeks and hopes to get more info for me then.

This appears to be an East Cost thing only due to the San Diego dock worker strike.

abalone
01-25-2015, 10:35 PM
My hopes were dashed today. I went to my local shop to order a steel 56 and was told they are out of stock for the foreseeable future. Could be weeks or months. The store manager is meeting with QBP in three weeks and hopes to get more info for me then.

This appears to be an East Cost thing only due to the San Diego dock worker strike.

I'm not sure if the high demand of the Colossal Ti is only an East Coast thing. According to a friend of mine who is a buyer and a bike shop owner on the West coast, Salsa has been doing great sales on their Colossal Ti model. And as far as I know, Salsa currently has the only production Ti disc road frame that you can get with thru-axles front and rear. I'm sure that there are people out there that think discs and thru-axles not necessary on a road bike, though I'd argue otherwise. The fact that there is such high demand for this bike speaks to the want of people for disc brakes, and particularly thru-axles technology on disc brakes.

eippo1
01-26-2015, 09:05 AM

Actually, it looks more like they sold out of them. Sometimes they'll do a 2nd production run. They do have a fair amount of 2014's and a few 2015 Ti models left. Otherwise your best bet is to call around to find one in a store.

Spaceman Spiff
02-13-2015, 08:49 AM
Universal Cycles is showing a 56 in stock now. Jump on it, Raymo!

bmeryman
03-19-2015, 08:12 AM
Assuming I can sell enough other bikes/parts I'd like to pick up a Colossal Ti this spring. In response to someone earlier in this thread, I currently ride a ti road bike, so I'm curious to see how the Colossal compares. There are only a couple in my size on QBP right now, so I'm hoping nobody orders them before I can! Or I'll just pick up the frameset and build it how I want.

I'm actually pretty excited about thru axles. Perhaps it's my background in mountain biking, but I've embraced them. I'm also looking forward to the clearance. I've got a pair of 700x30 Challenge Strada Bianca 250tpi summer tires that I'd love to try out in the Colossal (I think they claim 30 without fenders, 28 with).