PDA

View Full Version : Assos v Rapha: The Debate Will Rage On!

Lovetoclimb
08-05-2014, 11:46 AM
I caved and bought a pair of Assos S7 Equipe shorts. Chain Reaction has them for $222 with free shipping, so barring any issues in customs or delivery I will have them in a week to perform a detailed comparison against my absolute favorite bibs, the Rapha Pro Team. I do a LOT of road riding around Asheville and find good bibs to be a no questions type of purchase. Nothing bothers me more than being side-lined from saddle sores. More details to come once I can offer up my feedback, but in the meantime let's get a good Tuesday Assos v Rapha angerfest going!!!!

bheight1
08-06-2014, 09:01 PM
Lovetoclimb, you will love these--hopefully you purchased the chamois creme and laundry wash too because it's Assos! I love their winter tights and Rapha brand and products too, like the builders I ride, soda brand I drink and toilet paper I use. It works for me and I "connect" with it. I rode with a Rapha "model" in Mallorca and he would hammer most on this forum like nails in wood.

I just saw the Pantani video posted earlier and bought the jersey!
Bump

Derailer
08-06-2014, 09:07 PM
I like how there is not even a pretext of substance here, save for a possible future comparison.

oldpotatoe
08-09-2014, 08:12 AM
Gonna resurrect this cuz..just got a pair of Rapha Classic bibs..won from a lawyer buddy of mine, TdF bet...nice to take $ from a lawyer but...

geeezzz, these are really nice, best I've owned(have had just about all brands in the past, one time or another)..and made in Italia..Charles!!!

So.... Now have a jersey and bibs and yup, they are really nice..

professerr
08-09-2014, 10:15 AM

Lovetoclimb
08-09-2014, 10:45 AM
If you end up working for Rapha in 6 months, I’m gonna throw away all my Italian bb threaded bikes.

hahahaha, what does it say about me that I own a LOT of Rapha and all of my bikes (5) are English threaded BBs . . .

malcolm
08-09-2014, 11:39 AM
The potato has become a rapha acolyte. Please god where will it end.

fuzzalow
08-09-2014, 11:51 AM
geeezzz, these are really nice, best I've owned(have had just about all brands in the past, one time or another)..and made in Italia..Charles!!!

So.... Now have a jersey and bibs and yup, they are really nice..

A sensible guy as we know OldSpud to be. And he judges the clothing simply on its own merits. Without a conniption, rant or sublimated class warfare rage against Rapha anywhere in the post because - it's just clothes. Which Rapha is to most everybody else, just clothes.

If you have a reaction other than this, the problem isn't with the Rapha brand - it's with you.

bcroslin
08-09-2014, 12:28 PM
I wore my super lightweight jersey for the first time on the ride this morning with my lightweight bibs and both are easily the nicest pieces of riding gear I own. Bought both on sale at the same price as comparable kits from Castelli, LG, etc. I will buy more Rapha in the future.

Macadamia
08-09-2014, 01:18 PM
I wore my super lightweight jersey for the first time on the ride this morning with my lightweight bibs and both are easily the nicest pieces of riding gear I own. Bought both on sale at the same price as comparable kits from Castelli, LG, etc. I will buy more Rapha in the future.

I was looking at that lightweight jersey, but every picture of someone wearing it on their site has it fully zipped down. I'm not sure what the message is there

oldpotatoe
08-09-2014, 02:18 PM

I Like their message, their way of telling it. Like Apple, related to two other threads here. They make others compete with them. They have a way of doin' biz, know they won't be everything to everybody, and that's fine with them.

Not followers.

jr59
08-09-2014, 02:51 PM
I Like their message, their way of telling it. Like Apple, related to two other threads here. They make others compete with them. They have a way of doin' biz, know they won't be everything to everybody, and that's fine with them.

Not followers.

Come on Peter, tell us they are epic!!!!:p

professerr
08-09-2014, 02:56 PM

zap
08-09-2014, 03:07 PM
I could care less about the message and more about the product. If Rapha was sold at a lbs I'd give it a try. The current Assos S7 bibs and jerseys work very well for me but I like to wear something different every day.

Louis
08-09-2014, 03:36 PM

I never believed the original "LBS god and Campy aficionado" shtick either, so I don't believe this. He's just like the pro riders, a paid stooge pushing whatever schlock his sponsors pay him to market virally on the web.

BTW, I found out the other day that the famous Campy "tat" was just a temporary thing. It's now gone.

It's heartbreaking - Old P, someone we thought we knew and loved! You can't believe anything you read on the Interwebs. Next we'll probably learn that he's never even flown an F-4, let alone landed one on a carrier at night.

;)

Louis
08-09-2014, 04:15 PM
http://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-magazine-monitor-28674654

Check out the link above, and wherever you see the date "1864" replace it with "2014" and replace "balloon" with "Rapha kit."

http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/76833000/jpg/_76833466_balloon-riot.jpg

jr59
08-09-2014, 04:52 PM
I never believed the original "LBS god and Campy aficionado" shtick either, so I don't believe this. He's just like the pro riders, a paid stooge pushing whatever schlock his sponsors pay him to market virally on the web.

BTW, I found out the other day that the famous Campy "tat" was just a temporary thing. It's now gone.

It's heartbreaking - Old P, someone we thought we knew and loved! You can't believe anything you read on the Interwebs. Next we'll probably learn that he's never even flown an F-4, let alone landed one on a carrier at night.

;)

You forgot; Wears a fake rolex!!!!:p:banana:

Charles M
08-09-2014, 06:04 PM
This aint "rapha versus Assos"...

It's Rapha versus the third Assos short down the food chain.

That Rapha get as high as third is as big a surprise as their making a piece of clothing some place other than China...

Lovetoclimb
08-09-2014, 06:55 PM

That Rapha get as high as third is as big a surprise as their making a piece of clothing some place other than China...

The intention of the thread is to compare and contrast the current gen Rapha PT shorts which retail at $290 to the Assos S7 Equipe shorts which retail about the same, but I found for $225. I find $200 to be steep for bib-shorts but the 2 pair of Rapha PT shorts I do own for which I paid $180 and $250 respectively to be the best thing shorts I have ridden hands down. But I do need more bibs and thought the Assos would be a nice thing to try vs. picking up a 2nd pair of the Rapha Condor bibs. Team Sky over-branded nonsense was not an option, unfortunate since they are basically the same besides the nonsense logos everywhere. I will give the Assos bibs a thorough testing from 2-7 hr rides as soon as they cross the pond (and assuming I can squeeze into a Large :help:)

oldpotatoe
08-09-2014, 07:18 PM

;)

Tee hee..

oldpotatoe
08-10-2014, 07:29 AM

sounds like a component maker I know....except they don't make anything outside of 'China'(Taiwan)....

holliscx
08-10-2014, 08:41 AM
Only one can claim to put your ass in its name.

thegunner
08-10-2014, 09:27 AM
sounds like a component maker I know....except they don't make anything outside of 'China'(Taiwan)....

careful there old spuds... them's fightin' words (the last bit)

Steve in SLO
08-10-2014, 10:00 AM
I did not know that ascribing to a mildly antipathetic individualized perspective of and reaction to a brand that unabashedly and astutely embraces portentous polarization strategies of marketing is indicative that one is incapacitated from the simplicity of having an opinion and sentiment of and reaction to but instead possibly heralds or may even present symptoms of more serious issues of character and mental constitution perhaps relating to unrealized aspirations of wealth, education, and acrolectal sophistication.
Whoa, whoa perfesser, slow down! That's a lotta big wurds their and it's gonna take me a wile to wurk em all out. I got me my dictenary and the thesurrus I got for 6th grade gradiaton and got thru the first too lines, but I still don't understand wat yur sayin. I fgger it must be somthing about saddle soars, because yu rote 'acrolectal' in the last line.

professerr
08-10-2014, 11:24 AM

professerr
08-10-2014, 11:25 AM

PQJ
08-10-2014, 11:30 AM

Geez dude. Those Rapha bibs you once tried must really have chapped your ass.

bluesea
08-10-2014, 12:34 PM
Why is it a debate, for the body in question either it works or it doesn't.

fuzzalow
08-10-2014, 04:30 PM
I did not know that ascribing to a mildly antipathetic individualized perspective of and reaction to a brand that unabashedly and astutely embraces portentous polarization strategies of marketing is indicative that one is incapacitated from the simplicity of having an opinion and sentiment of and reaction to but instead possibly heralds or may even present symptoms of more serious issues of character and mental constitution perhaps relating to unrealized aspirations of wealth, education, and acrolectal sophistication.

That sounded pretty good. I'm OK with you poking fun at me for some of my posts that meander into prolix. No denyin' that some do. Nuthin' a little editing can't fix but this is discussion forum and that's how it came out. All are honest posts from me in my own written voice.

Your response to me is built on misrepresenting what I posted. My post isn't referring to those “mildly [sic] apathetic” towards Rapha. You wasted a splendiferous run-on paragraph by botching it up in ascribing to me an incorrect premise that you could win an argument with. Low brow.

Yep, I trust you appreciate the challenge it is for me to raise the tone of discussion via usage our betters can more readily understand.

“our betters”?!?! No. You are completely wrong about this even said in sarcasm.

Did you win an election here that I missed? I did not know that you spoke for more than yourself in your posts. Or are you retreating into the safety of the crowd aready? If you have issue with me then debate or lambast my views to me about it here and without trying to enlist the crowd with you in doing so. If we've had a misunderstanding, then maybe we can fix that. Don't be shy about it, you've already demonstrated to me that you can talk plenty big. But if you just somehow don't like me and you want to keep it that way, well then there's nothing I can do about that. And it won't bother me one bit.

I've never made any pretense to anything like you allude to here and suggestions to that end is a cheap shot. I speak to everyone here in a manner of mutual respect that assumes anyone spoken with is a peer. If you have hangups about yourself and where you stand on some imaginary scale of better or worse, that's entirely an issue that rests with you and not with me, or anyone else, on this forum.

Steve in SLO
08-10-2014, 05:50 PM
Yep, I trust you appreciate the challenge it is for me to raise the tone of discussion via usage our betters can more readily understand.

Ah, but is it bettur to raese the tone fer our 'betters' thru Hemingway or Joyce?

Black Dog
08-10-2014, 10:46 PM
Parsimony will help avoid acrimony.

enr1co
08-11-2014, 12:40 PM
Finally rode the PT shorts I purchased last month and very pleased with the pad, compression feel and fit of them.

Haven't had the opportunity to try the equivalent level Assos shorts but hoping the durability reputation of the Rapha PTs holds true to keep me feeling "epic" for at least 3 years until able to throw down for another set of $200+ bibs :)

https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpf1/v/t1.0-9/10557363_10152606207288571_3403583823193340101_n.j pg?oh=5d8e59e764250605d793b8bfd105662e&oe=54739F90&__gda__=1416635887_4ce20435d569b22878439a96564378a 2

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpf1/t1.0-9/10290626_10152606207283571_7842165022390002485_n.j pg

BAL
08-11-2014, 01:06 PM
I wear an X-Large Assos F.Mille and am pleased with the fit. I am considering the Rapha Classic Bib. Should I go for the X-Large or the XX-Large in the Rapha bib?

Going by the Rapha sizing chart my 40 inch waist at 6' 1" should be a XX size but the Assos is fine at X in the Mille style.

oldpotatoe
08-11-2014, 01:38 PM
I wear an X-Large Assos F.Mille and am pleased with the fit. I am considering the Rapha Classic Bib. Should I go for the X-Large or the XX-Large in the Rapha bib?

Going by the Rapha sizing chart my 40 inch waist at 6' 1" should be a XX size but the Assos is fine at X in the Mille style.

I am 5'11, doughboy .1 offa ton and XL classic fit perfectly. 36 inch waist.

Lovetoclimb
08-13-2014, 02:03 PM
Assos bibs arrived today. Initial impressions:

- Amazingly excessive packaging, from the fold out info graphic to the 30 page owners manual that is 25 pages of advertising. All while saying "Game Changer" everywhere.

- the overall look of the bibs is very nice and subdued, similar to Rapha Classic all black bibs only with the small purple stripe at the bottom of the left leg. The sublimation on the back that has logos for every single bit of Assos tech the shorts comprise is a bit crap, seems like they could have put a little more effort into that or just left it to the box and owners manual. Perhaps it's to constantly remind you how much your game is being changed.

- I received a size large, being 6'3"ish <165 lbs it seemed to match up in sizing to the Rapha Pro Team bibs in large. However it's been almost a year since I purchased Rapha bibs and I cannot remember if the straps were as tight on my shoulders when new as the Assos straps are. The "manual" says lean into the "riding position" and feel the garments "click" into place however this makes the straps seem even tighter. Is this just my game being changed, or should I consider sizing up? Fit around the legs, bum, and waist is spot on so I worry an XL will move too much.

Anyone else have the above issue? My thinking is those bib straps will stretch a bit especially if I hang dry after washing instead of folding the bibs over the hanger at the chamois.

Exonerv
08-13-2014, 02:11 PM
Is this just my game being changed, or should I consider sizing up?

Ha....nicely done :)

zap
08-13-2014, 02:32 PM
- I received a size large, being 6'3"ish <165 lbs it seemed to match up in sizing to the Rapha Pro Team bibs in large. However it's been almost a year since I purchased Rapha bibs and I cannot remember if the straps were as tight on my shoulders when new as the Assos straps are. The "manual" says lean into the "riding position" and feel the garments "click" into place however this makes the straps seem even tighter. Is this just my game being changed, or should I consider sizing up? Fit around the legs, bum, and waist is spot on so I worry an XL will move too much.

I'm about an inch or so shorter and a bit heavier and wear Assos large. The straps are snug while standing but a bit less so when in the cycling position. Typically with Assos, Castelli and Sugoi I'm at the outer range for a large so at your height I think XL is recommended.

parallelfish
08-13-2014, 05:10 PM
I'm about an inch or so shorter and a bit heavier and wear Assos large. The straps are snug while standing but a bit less so when in the cycling position. Typically with Assos, Castelli and Sugoi I'm at the outer range for a large so at your height I think XL is recommended.

Correct - XL (Xtra Long).

I am an inch shorter and five pounds heavier. XL fits very well. Size large would be way too short.

Lovetoclimb
08-13-2014, 10:22 PM
Tried the bibs on again, its such a close call. Ordered the XL, in 5-7 days time I will report which size fits better and how my game has changed.

oldpotatoe
08-14-2014, 09:48 AM
Assos bibs arrived today. Initial impressions:

- Amazingly excessive packaging, from the fold out info graphic to the 30 page owners manual that is 25 pages of advertising. All while saying "Game Changer" everywhere.

- the overall look of the bibs is very nice and subdued, similar to Rapha Classic all black bibs only with the small purple stripe at the bottom of the left leg. The sublimation on the back that has logos for every single bit of Assos tech the shorts comprise is a bit crap, seems like they could have put a little more effort into that or just left it to the box and owners manual. Perhaps it's to constantly remind you how much your game is being changed.

Anyone else have the above issue? My thinking is those bib straps will stretch a bit especially if I hang dry after washing instead of folding the bibs over the hanger at the chamois.

"The "manual" says lean into the "riding position" and feel the garments "click" into place".....

It really said that? Yikes.

FlashUNC
08-14-2014, 09:54 AM
"The "manual" says lean into the "riding position" and feel the garments "click" into place".....

It really said that? Yikes.

Yup. Standard Assos language. Their jerseys and shorts aren't really super comfortable lounging around the coffee shop pre-ride. Designed more to fit when actually on the bike.

malcolm
08-14-2014, 11:03 AM
I gotta believe if I feel my garments clicking something has gone terribly wrong.

Lovetoclimb
08-14-2014, 11:06 AM
I gotta believe if I feel my garments clicking something has gone terribly wrong.

Game being changed . . .

malcolm
08-14-2014, 11:08 AM
Game being changed . . .

changed into what would be my concern!!

Md3000
08-14-2014, 12:56 PM
Clicking into place? I'm changing my game into constant epicness!

PQJ
08-14-2014, 01:40 PM
Consistent with their retro marketing schtick, in order to get your Rapha garments to click into place, you gotta pair them with your downtube shifters. Since the vast majority of shifters these days are not DT, very few can get their Rapha gear to click into place. I'm thinking that's why there's so much hate for Rapha and so much love for Assos.

oldpotatoe
08-16-2014, 08:19 AM
Yup, needed bibs, got the Rapha ones..superior BUT still needed bibs so after the thread on Assos Factory Outlet sale..got some of their $120 bibs..I will make a close observation and report..these VS Rapha..hope they work, need bibs...

ignore the guy with the thousand yard stare.

http://www.assosfactoryoutlet.com/men/shorts/t-pro-bib-short-s2.html

bobswire
08-16-2014, 08:51 AM
My body clicks in place all the time without the expense of those Asso bibs but I think that's more to do being a few months shy of 70. :)
Seriously though I never thought of comparing Asso with Rapha, to me they represent or favored by different demographic beyond expense.

CNY rider
08-16-2014, 12:50 PM
I just went for a ride in Rapha bibs and an Assos jersey!:eek:

marciero
08-16-2014, 01:16 PM
Got my first Rapha jacket and jersey in... 2007?? Both are still in use. Since then a lot of Rapha, never tried the shorts. I just bought a pair from a forumite. Did not realize they were "Rapha Condor" team kit (I prefer minimal branding), and my initial impression was that they were 2nd or 3rd tier bibs-they do not have a lot of panels like some other high-end shorts, felt unsubstantial; that is, light.
After riding them I can say they are the best shorts I've ever ridden in. Not sure where they fall in the Rapha line. I should say that I have not tried Assos.

pdmtong
08-16-2014, 02:08 PM
Got my first Rapha jacket and jersey in... 2007?? Both are still in use. Since then a lot of Rapha, never tried the shorts. I just bought a pair from a forumite. Did not realize they were "Rapha Condor" team kit (I prefer minimal branding), and my initial impression was that they were 2nd or 3rd tier bibs-they do not have a lot of panels like some other high-end shorts, felt unsubstantial; that is, light.
After riding them I can say they are the best shorts I've ever ridden in. Not sure where they fall in the Rapha line. I should say that I have not tried Assos.

the condor team bibs were either logo'd classic bibs ($220), or if newer, then logo'd pro team bibs (more snug, some compression)($290). These two bibs are rapha's main bib offering

classic bibs have no paneling, and seem so stretchable you could fit a size up in them. BUT, once on, they work really well.

djdj
08-16-2014, 02:25 PM
I just spent 55 miles in a new pair of Assos S7 NeoPro's. These are the least expensive of the new line and retail for $200, but can be found for ~$165 delivered. Very comfortable and certainly could be worn all day. Feel like high quality.

I would recommend them. I particularly like the lower cut in front, but YMMV.

metalheart
03-27-2015, 08:47 AM
Yup, needed bibs, got the Rapha ones..superior BUT still needed bibs so after the thread on Assos Factory Outlet sale..got some of their $120 bibs..I will make a close observation and report..these VS Rapha..hope they work, need bibs...

ignore the guy with the thousand yard stare.

http://www.assosfactoryoutlet.com/men/shorts/t-pro-bib-short-s2.html

Any comparisons you have to offer on these?

I sprung for the same bibs and I found them to be fine for medium rides (<21/2 hours). I was about the buy another pair of Rapha Classics and then saw some of the S5.Milles Regular Leg at on the Outlet site for 150. If I could save ~$75 on bibs, that is almost a new jersey, so I bought the S5.Mille and took them for a 2 1/2 ride yesterday. Nice shoulder straps, comfortable but not too compressive material, and a reasonable pad, but it does not feel as plush/thick as the Rapha pad. This could just be a fit issue (where the thicker part of the pad is on my body), but it tells me that I am better off with the Classics as my goto bib.

I wish that bib manufacturers advertised the thickness of the pad along with all the whiz-bang materials used in construction.

RedRider
03-27-2015, 09:15 AM
I just went for a ride in Rapha bibs and an Assos jersey!:eek:

That's like mixing Shimano & Campagnolo.

christian
03-27-2015, 09:24 AM
I just spent 55 miles in a new pair of Assos S7 NeoPro's. These are the least expensive of the new line and retail for $200, but can be found for ~$165 delivered. Very comfortable and certainly could be worn all day. Feel like high quality.

I would recommend them. I particularly like the lower cut in front, but YMMV.

I got the fatboy (Mille?) pants with the kuku penthouse. Delightful. Also a decent car payment.

metalheart
03-27-2015, 09:38 AM
I got the fatboy (Mille?) pants with the kuku penthouse. Delightful. Also a decent car payment.

I think you mean the Assos Cento? I think they are supposed to have the thickest pad. I thought about just trying them, but some folks seem to prefer the S5.Mille over the S7.Cento because of how the pad is not sewn in on the Cento. Others report the Cento is a "game changer."

I could keep trying different bibs, but.......

Likes2ridefar
03-27-2015, 11:12 AM
I absolutely hated the rapha pro bibs I was required to race in for a stage race once. I was excited before I got them thinking score on a $1000+ worth of kit. Then I raced in them once. Ugh.

They are one of the few brands I've used that have earned that level of disdain. I got a full kit including gloves with full leather palm and spandex backing. all were white besides black bibs.

the gloves were nasty looking after 5 days of racing and really bulky. I threw them away. the jerseys I still wear with my assos bibs like another poster does. I like the pro jerseys and they are great in hot weather.

the bibs I sold for a cool $50 a piece I think.

Assos s5 uno are my go to for all riding. Never tried the more expensive models.

FlashUNC
03-27-2015, 11:20 AM
Assos s5 uno are my go to for all riding. Never tried the more expensive models.

As another Assos shorts snob, I would highly recommend the S5 fi.13's now that they're on sale and at the Assos Outlet. I loved the Unos, but felt the fi.13s were light years better.

Likes2ridefar
03-27-2015, 11:22 AM
As another Assos shorts snob, I would highly recommend the S5 fi.13's now that they're on sale and at the Assos Outlet. I loved the Unos, but felt the fi.13s were light years better.

I need two pairs for this summer since I had to retire all my s5 UNO besides one pair for under the tights duty only, so will have to consider them.

I had a hard time distinguishing any difference after a visual inspection. I saw on the tags how the chamois appears to be shaped differently...

FlashUNC
03-27-2015, 11:48 AM
I need two pairs for this summer since I had to retire all my s5 UNO besides one pair for under the tights duty only, so will have to consider them.

I had a hard time distinguishing any difference after a visual inspection. I saw on the tags how the chamois appears to be shaped differently...

The chamois is different, fewer discrete "zones" like the uno pad, but a bit bigger with some more coverage. There's a different material in all of the contact points with the saddle that's a bit pebbled in texture, makes for a bit grippier interface with the saddle. Not like velcro or anything, but a touch less sliding about.

And the seams are placed a bit differently to allow for a bit more leg movement and freedom. They feel a bit more compressive than the Unos -- definitely tighter than the Rapha Classic bibs, but not a sausage casing like the Pro Teams. Oh, and different leg grippers.

Small changes all around, but I think they add up to a pretty big improvement.

Lionel
03-27-2015, 11:58 AM
+1, the FI.13 S5 is great and much better than the Uno S5.

Likes2ridefar
03-27-2015, 11:59 AM
I won't doubt you, but I never have a sliding problem and am perfectly comfortable all day in the UNO. I will probably get those if I can get them for cheaper but otherwise will spring for the 13's.

Drmojo
03-27-2015, 01:16 PM
Whoa, whoa perfesser, slow down! That's a lotta big wurds their and it's gonna take me a wile to wurk em all out. I got me my dictenary and the thesurrus I got for 6th grade gradiaton and got thru the first too lines, but I still don't understand wat yur sayin. I fgger it must be somthing about saddle soars, because yu rote 'acrolectal' in the last line.

ma feelins zactly I reckin:banana:

Drmojo
03-27-2015, 01:19 PM
Parsimony will help avoid acrimony.
Pleez make it stop...

oldpotatoe
03-27-2015, 01:21 PM
Any comparisons you have to offer on these?

I sprung for the same bibs and I found them to be fine for medium rides (<21/2 hours). I was about the buy another pair of Rapha Classics and then saw some of the S5.Milles Regular Leg at on the Outlet site for 150. If I could save ~$75 on bibs, that is almost a new jersey, so I bought the S5.Mille and took them for a 2 1/2 ride yesterday. Nice shoulder straps, comfortable but not too compressive material, and a reasonable pad, but it does not feel as plush/thick as the Rapha pad. This could just be a fit issue (where the thicker part of the pad is on my body), but it tells me that I am better off with the Classics as my goto bib.

I wish that bib manufacturers advertised the thickness of the pad along with all the whiz-bang materials used in construction.

Got biffed by their XLG sizing silliness. So sold them. Rode today with Rapha classics and they are, without doubt, the best I have ever owned....and I have owned/tried a lot.

teleguy57
03-27-2015, 01:47 PM
Got biffed by their XLG sizing silliness. So sold them. Rode today with Rapha classics and they are, without doubt, the best I have ever owned....and I have owned/tried a lot.

How was the Assos sizing different from what you expected? Too big/too small overall, or something else? Reason I ask is that I'm about your size (+ a couple o' kilos :rolleyes:)

Likes2ridefar
03-27-2015, 01:56 PM
I had to order one size up from what I normally wear.

Medium almost always but large in assos.

Grant McLean
03-27-2015, 04:23 PM
I never have a sliding problem and am perfectly comfortable all day in the UNO.

Same here.

For quite a few seasons now I've rotated 3 new pairs logo bib Unos, ride them for two seasons and start over.
So far, no reason to go higher up than uno. Now that Assos has "changed the game" i'm up for a change this season...
not really happy about that.

-g

bluesea
03-27-2015, 05:09 PM

I prefer those to the Uno, but the Fi.13 S2 (orange) were even better in both design and quality.

Btw, I checked a month ago and just now, and the Fi.13 S5 are not available in size LG and below. Wanted to pick up a couple of pairs, but not sure what to do. Might try out the T Cento, although the Fi.13 S5 has tags that say Campionissimo, so common sense says to go with T.Campionissimo.

The Uno S5 are available in all sizes.

Lionel
03-27-2015, 05:30 PM
I prefer those to the Uno, but the Fi.13 S2 (orange) were even better in both design and quality.

I tend to agree with that. I still have on fi.13 s2, this thing is VERY old and still in very good shape.

jlwdm
03-27-2015, 07:51 PM
Bibs are very personal. Just because one person says a certain bib is better than others does not make it better for everyone. I have 7 pair of S5 Uno and a pair of Rapha Classic, and they both work great for me. I do not know what a better bib would be - what would they do for me?

Jeff

oldpotatoe
03-28-2015, 06:24 AM
How was the Assos sizing different from what you expected? Too big/too small overall, or something else? Reason I ask is that I'm about your size (+ a couple o' kilos :rolleyes:)

I 'thought' XLG in Assos was 'eXrta LarGe..but it's XL LONG..and for gorillas out something.