PDA

View Full Version : SSCX as a commuter?

Lewis Moon
08-05-2014, 10:22 AM
After 11 years of living out in the sticks, we’re moving back into town. My daily commute will be cut by 30 miles and about 35 minutes each way. I’ll also (finally) have access to mass transit and be close enough to commute by bike if I want to. It’s a win no matter how you look at it…I’m just losing this in my back yard:
http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2008/05/16/travel/16havens-600.jpg
On the plus side we’ll be within 5 minutes of this:
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-izvAcbx0qcA/U2_qvmFlEkI/AAAAAAAABP4/_biwcblW0rM/w958-h780-no/53026849-DSC_1430.jpg
So…I’m going to need a commuter bike and I’m thinking of a CX or an SSCX. What are the up sides and down sides of an SSCX? It’ll fit better on the train and be less hassle, but am I going to miss the gears?

sandyrs
08-05-2014, 10:27 AM
After 11 years of living out in the sticks, we’re moving back into town. My daily commute will be cut by 30 miles and about 35 minutes each way. I’ll also (finally) have access to mass transit and be close enough to commute by bike if I want to. It’s a win no matter how you look at it…I’m just losing this in my back yard:
http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2008/05/16/travel/16havens-600.jpg
On the plus side we’ll be within 5 minutes of this:
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-izvAcbx0qcA/U2_qvmFlEkI/AAAAAAAABP4/_biwcblW0rM/w958-h780-no/53026849-DSC_1430.jpg
So…I’m going to need a commuter bike and I’m thinking of a CX or an SSCX. What are the up sides and down sides of an SSCX? It’ll fit better on the train and be less hassle, but am I going to miss the gears?

I don't know the terrain in your area very well, but I do know that a 1x setup can be pretty cheap to get going and is way more versatile on trails than a singlespeed if you have significant elevation to contend with. For short rides in relatively flat areas, though, a singlespeed or fixed gear with 28-ish tires is a really solid option.

robin3mj
08-05-2014, 10:30 AM
I did sscx (Kona Jake w/ ENO hub) for a few years when I had a 23 mile roundtrip commute in Virginia, with about 500 feet of climbing each way.
Easy, and hassle free.

donevwil
08-05-2014, 10:35 AM
How presentable do you need to be at work and what are the shower/clean-up options. My commute is only 5 miles, but no shower at work and I was never able to "take it easy" on a geared bike resulting in a sticky wet employee in Summer. I set up gearing on a fixed gear to minimize perspiration and it works, but does slow the commute. A SS would probably be a better option for me, especially if the commute was longer.

Also, even for a short commute, I'd recommend panniers and/or trunk bag over a backpack or messenger bag all day long, I assume it gets hot in AZ (granted a dry heat).

cp43
08-05-2014, 10:37 AM
How are you going to carry your stuff to work? If you'll be doing a short ride then on to the train, a backpack will probably work. If you'll be doing a longer ride, for me, that's more than ~5 miles, you'll probably want a rack and panniers. Not every cross bike will have rack mounts. Something to look for in a new bike.

As far as gearing, as has been mentioned, it will depend on the terrain. I think you'll probably be surprised at the climbing you're able to do on a single speed though.

Chris

thirdgenbird
08-05-2014, 10:41 AM
My single speed (road with 28mm clearance) was built as a commuter but I like it so much it sees road miles. Ss is a lot of fun.

I've got a spare rd and downtube if I ever want to go 1x10.

Lewis Moon
08-05-2014, 10:44 AM
How presentable do you need to be at work and what are the shower/clean-up options. My commute is only 5 miles, but no shower at work and I was never able to "take it easy" on a geared bike resulting in a sticky wet employee in Summer. I set up gearing on a fixed gear to minimize perspiration and it works, but does slow the commute. A SS would probably be a better option for me, especially if the commute was longer.

Also, even for a short commute, I'd recommend panniers and/or trunk bag over a backpack or messenger bag all day long, I assume it gets hot in AZ (granted a dry heat).

We have showers. I work for an environmental agency and they love it when folks use alternative transport. What I may do is drive in or take the bus/train on mondays and fridays and transport 3 days worth of duds.

charliedid
08-05-2014, 10:54 AM
Only one way to find out. Me, I tried several times over the past 20 or so years and never make it a season. MAybe cobble together an old bike for little $ and see how it goes..

ceolwulf
08-05-2014, 11:15 AM
I've commuted on a variety of bikes ranging from a light fixie to a mountain bike with slicks and honestly by now I would just take a regular road bike. Maybe find a good cheapish steel frame, build with 105, 28 tires, put a biggish saddlebag on it and job done. And it can double as a rain bike.

Lewis Moon
08-05-2014, 11:43 AM
I've commuted on a variety of bikes ranging from a light fixie to a mountain bike with slicks and honestly by now I would just take a regular road bike. Maybe find a good cheapish steel frame, build with 105, 28 tires, put a biggish saddlebag on it and job done. And it can double as a rain bike.

Yeah, I've missed my rain bike this season. Passed on a ride on Sunday because I got up (4:00 AM) and there were puddles in the back yard...that usually translates to gigundo watery tank traps on the road. Welcome to Monsoon in AZ. I don't mind riding in the wet, I just don't want to take the F2 out in the slop. Another reason for a CX bike.
I think a plan is coming together. I've been jonesing for a CX/Gravel bike for a while and the Skunkhumper is just gathering dust.

jr59
08-05-2014, 11:47 AM
You could always try it on your geared bike. Jus don't shift.

Or buy a FG/SS from bike direct for not a lot of cash and try it for yourself.

An ENO wheel is also an option, but the BD is probably less money.

p nut
08-05-2014, 11:49 AM
You don't necessarily have to choose between a dedicated geared and SS frameset. Get something like a Black Mountain Cycles or Surly Cross Check that can accommodate gears and SS.

I have my Cross Check set up SS and it's a blast. I've got Bruce Gordon's RocknRoads on it and it's fun taking it on trails. I'd say go for a versatile frame, so that way, you can mix it up down the line.

ceolwulf
08-05-2014, 11:51 AM
You don't necessarily have to choose between a dedicated geared and SS frameset. Get something like a Black Mountain Cycles or Surly Cross Check that can accommodate gears and SS.

I have my Cross Check set up SS and it's a blast. I've got Bruce Gordon's RocknRoads on it and it's fun taking it on trails. I'd say go for a versatile frame, so that way, you can mix it up down the line.

I still kind of want a Traitor Crusade.

gomango
08-05-2014, 11:58 AM
I'm thinking the same thing for a foul weather ride.

All City Nature Boy Disc

SKS Longboard fenders, Specialized tanwall Fatboys, XT disc/Velocity, Salsa Cowbell 2s or 3s, TRP Spyres, Ritchey Classic stem and seatpost, Gavenalle CXs and a trusty old Regal.

It would be a blast.

Just need to find the frameset. :)

http://allcitycycles.com/images/bikes/BK1434.jpg

Lewis Moon
08-05-2014, 12:00 PM
You could always try it on your geared bike. Jus don't shift.

Or buy a FG/SS from bike direct for not a lot of cash and try it for yourself.

An ENO wheel is also an option, but the BD is probably less money.

To be honest, the SS option only comes up because I’ll probably be using this bike as a train/bus commuter bike, and not having the gear train hanging off the frame makes it easier to get in and out of racks, through doorways, into elevators…etc.
However, since I’ll want the bike to do more than commute, I’ll probably at least want a 1X10. As I've said elsewhere...I'm a fan of being in the right gear.

p nut
08-05-2014, 12:01 PM
I still kind of want a Traitor Crusade.

Yes, there are a few that can easily convert ss/geared. Traiter looks pretty cool. Few others I can think of are:

- Civilian (whatever their CX bike is)
- Pake C'Mute
- Handsome Devil
- Surly Straggler
- Salsa Vaya (although only the Travel is SS-able)
- All-City Space Horse

I actually wouldn't mind going disc on my next CX bike, especially if it is going to be used as a commuter.

You could also do an IGH set up, if you're worried about derailers getting hung up/broken/ripped off on the train.

thirdgenbird
08-05-2014, 12:09 PM
I'm thinking the same thing for a foul weather ride.

All City Nature Boy Disc

SKS Longboard fenders, Specialized tanwall Fatboys, XT disc/Velocity, Salsa Cowbell 2s or 3s, TRP Spyres, Ritchey Classic stem and seatpost, Gavenalle CXs and a trusty old Regal.

It would be a blast.

Just need to find the frameset. :)

http://allcitycycles.com/images/bikes/BK1434.jpg

That sounds great.

cp43
08-05-2014, 12:22 PM
To be honest, the SS option only comes up because I’ll probably be using this bike as a train/bus commuter bike, and not having the gear train hanging off the frame makes it easier to get in and out of racks, through doorways, into elevators…etc.
However, since I’ll want the bike to do more than commute, I’ll probably at least want a 1X10. As I've said elsewhere...I'm a fan of being in the right gear.

I'm a big fan of single speed riding, and there's nothing wrong with getting one just because you want to try it. However, I don't think that the reasons you listed above are a good justification for a single speed. You won't actually hit the derailleurs on door frames, you're much more likely to hit the bars or pedals.

Again, I'm not trying to talk you out of a single speed, but if the above are your only reasons for getting one, you'll probably be happier with gears.

edit... Another option would be an internally geared hub. Clean build, gears, and nothing to get caught on the train rack.

Chris

thirdgenbird
08-05-2014, 12:28 PM
I'm a big fan of single speed riding, and there's nothing wrong with getting one just because you want to try it. However, I don't think that the reasons you listed above are a good justification for a single speed. You won't actually hit the derailleurs on door frames, you're much more likely to hit the bars or pedals.

Again, I'm not trying to talk you out of a single speed, but if the above are your only reasons for getting one, you'll probably be happier with gears.

Chris

I don't think it should be a primary reason, but I've caught my RD winding through a tight doorway several times. The pedals and bars might be wider, but if you have to turn directly after going through the door, its easy to snag the RD.

I love ss, but IGH is a great option.

oldpotatoe
08-05-2014, 12:29 PM
I had Moots build me a fixie...and they did. Neat bike. I rode it for a while but it really limited me as to where I could ride. Tried it as a single speed..front brake only but still..

Had them re-mod with rear der hanger, cable stop and raised the rear brake bridge for a brake..plus rear brake cable stops..put a $20 rear der on it, friction DT shifters..pretty simple..but like gears.

jr59
08-05-2014, 12:35 PM

In that case, I would look at the IG option, Alfine 8 and 11! No muss and no fuss, and gears!

Pelican
08-05-2014, 12:49 PM
I commute on a SSCX bike, but my route is a flat 5 miles so having gears doesn't make much difference. If you like to be in the 'right gear' I would strongly recommend a IGH. I've got a Nexus 8spd on one bike and am impressed with the wide range it gives, while still keeping a neat/clean drivetrain. It's quite a bit heavier than SS, but a very nice build option you should consider.

Germany_chris
08-05-2014, 01:20 PM
While not Cross I have my Trek Earl with cross tires and fenders I don't have to think about it I just lube the chain and ride. It's just a nice simple steel bike a perfect commute beer getter ride

08-05-2014, 01:35 PM
An All City Nature Boy makes a really nice commuter. It's heavy as hell, but it's also bulletproof, and it has fender eyelets, internal top tube cable routing, etc. etc. Stiff so it does well going up hills, and the geometry is pretty nice. It fits big tires so you can put a sizable gravel or road tire on for comfort and flat protection. The bike is ESD coated which does seem to help with any corrosion -- riding in a hot climate you'll perspire more and the whole All City line have been very good for avoiding corrosion at the usual spots.

I wouldn't get the disc version, frankly. TRP CX8.4's with TRP drillium brake levers make for a great setup for not much money and no maintenance. the disc setup on the Nature Boy is a bit weird and doesn't allow for much adjustment. And mini-V's are more than enough power.

I respaced my Nature Boy to 120 mm and just use a regular track hub. It's quicker and easier to install and remove than an ENO. I use a low gear for fixed-gear track training (42x18) and get up and down pretty much anything with that. I do feel that it makes no sense to ride a fixie just to over-gear on hills and stress your legs, but if you happen to hit hills on a fixie, this setup gets you over them nicely. It builds character.

There are hundreds of frames available out there, many of them pretty futzy construction or finish and many with atrocious geometry. I only point out the Nature Boy because it got everything pretty much right -- big tires, good geometry, braze-ons, and so on. Most of the heavy weight is in the fork, but I never felt motivated to swap it out for a carbon one. It's good training, easy to clean, and just works well.

gomango
08-05-2014, 02:02 PM
An All City Nature Boy makes a really nice commuter. It's heavy as hell, but it's also bulletproof, and it has fender eyelets, internal top tube cable routing, etc. etc. Stiff so it does well going up hills, and the geometry is pretty nice. It fits big tires so you can put a sizable gravel or road tire on for comfort and flat protection. The bike is ESD coated which does seem to help with any corrosion -- riding in a hot climate you'll perspire more and the whole All City line have been very good for avoiding corrosion at the usual spots.

I wouldn't get the disc version, frankly. TRP CX8.4's with TRP drillium brake levers make for a great setup for not much money and no maintenance. the disc setup on the Nature Boy is a bit weird and doesn't allow for much adjustment. And mini-V's are more than enough power.

I respaced my Nature Boy to 120 mm and just use a regular track hub. It's quicker and easier to install and remove than an ENO. I use a low gear for fixed-gear track training (42x18) and get up and down pretty much anything with that. I do feel that it makes no sense to ride a fixie just to over-gear on hills and stress your legs, but if you happen to hit hills on a fixie, this setup gets you over them nicely. It builds character.

There are hundreds of frames available out there, many of them pretty futzy construction or finish and many with atrocious geometry. I only point out the Nature Boy because it got everything pretty much right -- big tires, good geometry, braze-ons, and so on. Most of the heavy weight is in the fork, but I never felt motivated to swap it out for a carbon one. It's good training, easy to clean, and just works well.

Interesting.

My buddy that races for All City/Fulton said the same thing about the discs.

Thanks for the perspective.

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7356/9754861735_dd3a76c655_o.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/fS1dxi)IMG_1813 (https://flic.kr/p/fS1dxi) by gomango1849 (https://www.flickr.com/people//), on Flickr

thisistecumseh
08-05-2014, 05:21 PM
sscx as a commuter is a great idea. way less of a chance of things going wrong on your way into work.

had a bianchi san jose that i ended up selling to a friend. really wish i had held onto it.

if the money starts rolling in, i'm going to pick up an all city nature boy.

palincss
08-05-2014, 08:57 PM

Maybe you need to rethink this. The way I see this set of requirements, it doesn't add up to either a cyclocross or a single speed, but rather one of these:
http://www.productwiki.com/upload/images/brompton_m6r.jpg

charliedid
08-05-2014, 09:51 PM

Yeah I don't get it. I know loads of people who own AC bikes as they are total bike shop bikes and dirt, dirt cheap. But the weight is crazy. We have a DB 4130 SS bike made in Taiwan and our 55cm comes in at 22 lbs. I swear most of the All-City bikes I have picked up weigh 30 lbs :-)

shovelhd
08-05-2014, 09:55 PM
Don't underestimate your gearing needs when loaded down with a week's worth of dirty clothes.

mtechnica
08-05-2014, 10:16 PM
I've gone SS and don't miss the gears. 39x15 is a pretty good gear for getting around, 39x16 is the only other acceptable sscx gear IMO. The bike is light and never needs messing with.

mtechnica
08-05-2014, 10:23 PM
SSCX is not a thing you need to drop huge cash on to have a good rig either. IMO get an aluminum frame with good geometry so it won't be a tank then convert it. This bike weighs 19lbs max, I'm not a weight weenie but for commuting and stuff the light weight makes it much easier to deal with and stiff frame + light weight makes single speed much more manageable compared to heavy flexy steel garbage like surly or what have you.

http://i.imgur.com/xdhdujS.jpg

brando
08-05-2014, 10:34 PM
I love when I commute on my fixed gear but I almost never do it because it adds just that much more time to the ride. I miss the top end speed on the long straights.

I love my ss cx for racing, it's a blast. :banana:
http://i740.photobucket.com/albums/xx50/gost8go/ScreenShot2014-08-05at83209PM_zpsbfc4d455.png

djg
08-06-2014, 07:25 AM
I'm looking at the pics and thinking . . . that's not really fixed gear/ss commuter terrain. I know that there are folks who can make it up darn near anything and love doing real mountain rides with one speed, and there's always the question what gear you are fixed in, but for me, I would think of 1 gear with gentle grades, where you are essentially doing a modest big gear drill, or smaller rollers, where you might muscle up over the top, but not for climbing with a bunch of work stuff strapped to me or the bike. If you like being in the right gear, or having the ability on an extra-hot day, or a day when you are extra-loaded with stuff, or are just kind of beat on the ride home, to drop down a gear or two . . .

Getting on a train with a fixie or ss, there's still a crank up front and a cog in back and a chain in the middle -- is it that much bigger a deal to have an RD?