PDA

View Full Version : Creaking Cannondale Headset/Steerer

GregL
08-04-2014, 10:32 PM
I have a 2007 Cannondale Six13 Team frameset (carbon top and down tubes, remainder Al) with matching carbon Premium+ fork. The fork is very light (315g) with a thin-walled steerer. The only spacer is the 15mm conical spacer that sits between the top of the headset and the stem.

When riding out of the saddle and really pulling on the hoods or drops, I hear a consistent "creak" that appears to come from the upper headset area. I've cleaned and thoroughly lubed the headset bearings, cleaned the stem/steerer interface, adjusted the headset (IMO) perfectly, and torqued all stem bolts to the manufacturer's specification. The steerer tube appears to have no flaws. Any suggestions on how to eliminate this creak? It's the only annoyance in an otherwise excellent bike.

Thanks,
Greg

ultraman6970
08-04-2014, 10:53 PM
Probably is not the headset but the front quick release.

THe plastic pieces in the cam might be old, just grease the plastic pieces or put an old campagnolo/shimano one 100% metal and see if the noise goes away.

GregL
08-04-2014, 11:02 PM
Probably is not the headset but the front quick release.

THe plastic pieces in the cam might be old, just grease the plastic pieces or put an old campagnolo/shimano one 100% metal and see if the noise goes away.Thought of that too. I've tried three different wheelsets/skewers and examined the dropouts closely. Still creaking...

noonan1970
08-04-2014, 11:12 PM
positive the top cap is not bottoming out on the steerer top? the spacers are a bit over the top of the steerer?

GregL
08-04-2014, 11:15 PM
positive the top cap is not bottoming out on the steerer top? the spacers are a bit over the top of the steerer?Yup, top cap is installed correctly. I've even tried other top caps/compression plugs to isolate the creaking. Still creaks regardless of top cap...

zzy
08-04-2014, 11:34 PM
Which topcap do you have? Is there a 4cm gap btn the starnut and the top of the steerer?

GregL
08-05-2014, 06:32 AM
Which topcap do you have? Is there a 4cm gap btn the starnut and the top of the steerer?Currently using a KCNC expander/top cap. Previous owner had lost the proprietary Cannondale top cap. I carefully drilled out and removed the starnut. I liked the KCNC expander so much that I now use it on all my family's bikes with carbon steerers.

-Greg

oldpotatoe
08-05-2014, 07:29 AM
Currently using a KCNC expander/top cap. Previous owner had lost the proprietary Cannondale top cap. I carefully drilled out and removed the starnut. I liked the KCNC expander so much that I now use it on all my family's bikes with carbon steerers.

-Greg

Starnut in thin walled carbon steerer fork? I'd check for cracks or damage inside the steerer..ramming a SFN into a carbon steerer can damage it.

GregL
08-05-2014, 08:07 AM
Starnut in thin walled carbon steerer fork? I'd check for cracks or damage inside the steerer..ramming a SFN into a carbon steerer can damage it.I agree with you, but that's how Cannondale delivered them from the factory. The appropriate service instructions for a Six13 are no longer on their website, but here's similar instructions for a CAAD5: http://media.cannondale.com/media/Manuals/2001_caad5_campagnolo_headset_instructions_en.pdf

Short of x-rays, I have inspected the steerer tube closely and can find no flaws.

Thanks,
Greg

josephr
08-05-2014, 08:49 AM
I agree with you, but that's how Cannondale delivered them from the factory. The appropriate service instructions for a Six13 are no longer on their website, but here's similar instructions for a CAAD5: http://media.cannondale.com/media/Manuals/2001_caad5_campagnolo_headset_instructions_en.pdf

Short of x-rays, I have inspected the steerer tube closely and can find no flaws.

Thanks,
Greg

Yep....they used starnuts in carbon steerers during the mid-90s...its like asbestos, bad idea then but as long as you don't mess with it, will be OK...sounds like you've already replaced it which is groovy too.

Creaks, rattles, etc....fun to track down, aren't they? Have you tried tightening up your stem on both the steerer and the bar?
Joe

GregL
08-05-2014, 09:54 AM
Yep....they used starnuts in carbon steerers during the mid-90s...its like asbestos, bad idea then but as long as you don't mess with it, will be OK...sounds like you've already replaced it which is groovy too.

Creaks, rattles, etc....fun to track down, aren't they? Have you tried tightening up your stem on both the steerer and the bar?
JoeYup, all stem bolts (both steerer and bar) have been torqued to the manufacturer's recommendations.

Thanks,
Greg

batman1425
08-05-2014, 12:18 PM
If you haven't already, try lubing the bearing recesses in the frame. This is yearly source of creaks on my Ridley Damocles. Once a year I have to pull the fork, remove the bearings and lube the bearing/Headtube interface. Keeps them quiet for another year.

You may also want to inspect the head tube area. Six13's from this area were known to have problems with galvanic corrosion at the carbon-aluminum junctions, particularly the raw aluminum colored ones.

zzy
08-05-2014, 12:36 PM
Currently using a KCNC expander/top cap. Previous owner had lost the proprietary Cannondale top cap. I carefully drilled out and removed the starnut. I liked the KCNC expander so much that I now use it on all my family's bikes with carbon steerers.

-Greg

You need the Cdale topcap. It's designed to work with that fork if it's a Slice model. Or is it a Premium one? Regardless, I strongly suspect that's your issue..

And yes, all Time-made Cdale forks came with special star-nuts - they worked fine. And those were some of the best forks ever made.

GregL
08-05-2014, 02:35 PM
Thanks to all for the great suggestions. I really appreciate the input and discussion. In response to batman1425, I will try lubing all the bearing recesses next. My frame is one of the raw aluminum/carbon models, but fortunately it shows no sign of galvanic corrosion issues.

In response to zzy, I tried to purchase the correct Cannondale top cap, but they no longer stock the part. I even called Cannondale headquarters tech support, but had no luck. I had to use the KCNC expander because it was the only compression plug/expander that I found would work with the thin-wall steerer. The ID of the steerer tube is just a little too large for most expanders.

- Greg

zzy
08-05-2014, 08:23 PM
I had to use the KCNC expander because it was the only compression plug/expander that I found would work with the thin-wall steerer. The ID of the steerer tube is just a little too large for most expanders.

Unfortunately, that is by design. There was a special topcap that acted as a steerer reinforcer. I may actually have the one you need, including starnut (KB506).

GregL
09-04-2014, 12:40 PM
Resurrecting this thread since I finally found my noise source :)

Despite all previous attempts (see list below), the creaking noise was getting worse:

- Inspected fork steerer and stem for damage (none found).
- Thoroughly lubed all headset components.
- Lubed all stem steerer bolts.
- Swapped out headset conical spacer.
- Carefully adjusted headset.
- Torqued all bolts to manufacturers' recommended values.

At wit's end, I tried the last interface in the bar/stem/steerer: the bar/stem interface itself. The bar and stem are both Ritchey WCS aluminum units. I pulled the handlebar, put a very, very thin film of grease on all mating surfaces, lubed the stem faceplate bolts, and re-assembled. Creaking noise is now gone! A quiet bike is a happy bike. Now the only annoying sounds come from my teenager...

- Greg

josephr
09-04-2014, 02:54 PM
Resurrecting this thread...

where the hell are the mods to keep this crap from happening?!?!?!?!? :)

glad you found your fix!