PDA

View Full Version : RX100 downtube shifter bits

F150
08-04-2014, 09:22 PM
What do you call the contoured thing-ma-digy that mounts on the downtube boss, before attaching the lever? Are these somewhat universal or unique to a given series of shifter? Went to install similar shifters on my son's bike and found I didn't have all the necessary bits.

Hoping the LBS has plenty...

kramnnim
08-04-2014, 09:26 PM
http://www.cambriabike.com/Shimano-Brazeon-Small-Parts-Road-Shifter-Parts.asp

F150
08-04-2014, 09:46 PM
Lovely, thanks!

Saint Vitus
08-05-2014, 08:55 AM
My son wanted his DT shifters removed, so I had to find some RSX STI levers (7spd)... Kids.

josephr
08-05-2014, 09:01 AM
My son wanted his DT shifters removed, so I had to find some RSX STI levers (7spd)... Kids.

maybe when he's older he can explore the joy of DT shifters? these kids nowadays are so used to getting everything right when they want it...if only they'd been raised on DT shifters, maybe they'd learn they've got to plan ahead for the hills before them!
Joe

F150
08-05-2014, 09:52 AM
Well, mine had no real interest in cycling until his baseball career was over. Bought him an undersized $70 MTB for a campus bike; decided he wanted a road bike. Bought '86 Fuji Del Rey with no wheels and stuck seatpost. Dissolved the seatpost in NaOH, fitted new post and old Avocet saddle, new ($10) tires on scavenged 27" wheelset, new bar tape and used bottle/cage. Has probably logged 3-4,000 miles on that rig. 6sp Suntour Accushift works quite well for as old as it is, but I thought I'd be nice and give him an extra gear. 7sp RX100 levers were laying around, and figured I might as well put them to use.

Agreed, learning on DT shifters is a good thing, as is learning to ride offroad on a rigid framed, suspension free MTB. He's become much better at anticipating and completing gear changes, and doing so at the proper time and place. Also, with old gear, you are forced to learn about repairs and maintenance.

He's now a senior, studying mechanical engineering, and has worked a couple of co-op stint. So now he's flush WITH HIS OWN CASH and he can buy whatever he wants. I'll pay for the education but the toys are on his dime. Although I try, he still lusts for carbon...

Saint Vitus
08-05-2014, 12:44 PM
After a number of group rides with good riders (parents as well) who coached him on shifting he still doesn't feel comfortable shifting with DT (feels the need to eyeball the shifters when shifting) plus he claims he phantom shifts with his right knee lol.

We're not going for race school here just recreational riding that he can do along with his father with the hopes of one day going on long rides or some cycle touring around the area.

As many a parent knows, trying to coach your own child is the next closest thing to beating your head into a wall lol

Anyhow F150, since you've determined the part and if you can't source a pair reasonably let me know I have some spares ;-)

josephr
08-05-2014, 01:31 PM
After a number of group rides with good riders (parents as well) who coached him on shifting he still doesn't feel comfortable shifting with DT (feels the need to eyeball the shifters when shifting) plus he claims he phantom shifts with his right knee lol.

We're not going for race school here just recreational riding that he can do along with his father with the hopes of one day going on long rides or some cycle touring around the area.

As many a parent knows, trying to coach your own child is the next closest thing to beating your head into a wall lol

Anyhow F150, since you've determined the part and if you can't source a pair reasonably let me know I have some spares ;-)

The Sora shifters on my daughter's bike has those stupid indicators as well. I thought about using DT shifters on my kid's bike to help cure her need for instant shifting gratification. God forbid she actually have to look up and THINK about what gear she needs to be in. :crap:

I've got some of the Niner 'pedal damn it' stickers if you think it'd be appropriate.
Joe

F150
08-05-2014, 01:44 PM
Picked up a couple at Halcyon Bike Shop for <$5 total, although they look a little more grey than the pic and may be for a different series shifter. We'll see if they work tonight...

Agree with coaching your own kids. Spent 6-16 teaching him what little I knew about baseball, then got out of the way and let others have their shot. He was a pitcher, not a thrower. Helluva 12 to 6 curve (which he never threw before age 15), solid change and great control. Had he been able to break 90 with the fastball, he'd be studying management rather than engineering. A number of teammates over the years could throw waaay faster, but few could keep it over the plate or close enough to get the call when needed. Think Meat and Bull Durham.

Son listens more to my friend and very experienced long-distance tourer than to me (as he should); hopefully your riding crew will put him at ease. Every time my son complained about things skipping and jumping, feeling flexy, etc., I'd just blame it on the immense power he's putting to pavement.

Gets him thinking about the Indian rather than the arrow....

oliver1850
08-05-2014, 02:43 PM
I think some of the Ultegra ones were greyish to go with the finish of the shifters - others were bright chrome. As far as I know they all function the same.

Nice to see Cambria still has them that cheap. They also have a good price on brake lever hoods.

Saint Vitus
08-05-2014, 06:07 PM
Son listens more to my friend and very experienced long-distance tourer than to me (as he should); hopefully your riding crew will put him at ease. Every time my son complained about things skipping and jumping, feeling flexy, etc., I'd just blame it on the immense power he's putting to pavement.

Gets him thinking about the Indian rather than the arrow....

A very quotable point ;-) Yeah the folks we catch up with on Saturdays are a great and very encouraging bunch and he seems to be picking up on the variables pretty decently. Just got to get him to shift when appropriate lol

Johnny Alien
08-06-2014, 08:45 PM
It's nice to find a forum that openly discusses their love of downtube shifters. 80's Suntours Superbe and Sprint are my favorite. Those curvy pieces aren't universal are they? I assume that it would change depending on the size of the tube.

pinkshogun
08-06-2014, 09:06 PM
Those curvy pieces aren't universal are they? I assume that it would change depending on the size of the tube.

try finding some for an old 80's Cannondale ;-0

F150
08-06-2014, 09:40 PM
RE: universal, these units did work fine with the RX100 shifters. BTW, they make a flat base and contoured base; look at your tubes. If large dia. Cannondale tubes, they may have had the foresight to leave a flat base to their shifter boss.

Serious input needed: may need to post separately. While wrasslin' the shifter cable sticking in the (excessively deep) groove cut in the '87 era bottom bracket shell, noticed some crud/rust/gunk on bottom bracket lugs. Pulled the crank arms, whipped out the ice pick and Baby Wipes, and did some probing. Squiggly lines in top photo, behind FD cable, courtesy of Craftsman screwdriver (never done that before, promise). Lo and behold, saw something that caught my eye.

Scraped and sanded a bit, and found what appears to be a horizontal crack in the lug. When viewed from the above (downtube at 12 o'clock), crack extends from approx. 2 o'clock to 7 o'clock position. Sorry for the photos, rotate your computer CW 90 degrees...

Queestion: weld, JB Weld or just ride it? Bear in mind this is a 1987 Fuji Del Rey with little value to a sane man, but I have spent a lot of time returning this one to service. Really rides quite well, and hate to pull out the electronic bugle and blow Taps just yet.

Johnny Alien
08-06-2014, 09:46 PM
If it's a crack probably best to not ride it as is.

rustychisel
08-06-2014, 10:11 PM
that's at the base of the seattube mitred into the the cast BB, it will eventually crack all the way round, and through, and break. At which point you'll feel something odd when you pedal and notice the seattube swaying 2 inches from side to side.

If you ride it up to that point that is when you'll retire the frame. It's possible a good big bead weld would slow things down, but that is the most stressed area of a bike frame.

Experience based on me having killed 2 steel frames in exactly that way.