PDA

View Full Version : High End Cycling Duds, Assos & Rapha, Now I Know.

572cv
08-04-2014, 07:39 PM
So, all this banter about carefully designed clothing has been interesting to read about here, but one does not know, really, until one tries out the items in question. Therefore, a toe in the water approach was my response.

This winter I caught a sale on the Rapha gillet, found a white one, and have ridden many happy miles with it. It is very well designed, and has been durable and handsome on the bike, not to mention visible. A very good fit, though the shoulders are a little loose on me, which means a tiny bit of flutter at speed. Generally way better than any of the other garments of this type that I have had, though, and that encouraged me to try something else.

The something else was the Assos factory store site. As with Rapha, I could not bring myself to pay full freight on something I had not tried, so I ended up with some bibs and a jersey. I have to say that I have never had anything that fit as well as these do, by a long shot. I get it now. The increment one pays for careful design is rewarded by.... careful design ! The jersey moves with you, stays taught but not tight, and has thoughtful touches throughout. 6 pockets! great breathing. The bibs are an older generation, but the comfort and detailing are terrific. My daughter even noted that I looked spiffy. That's a mark of excellence.....

These are the two makers/purveyors of goods I have tried, though now I will look more closely at others as well.

The Paceline is to blame for my more enjoyable riding this year :) Thanks for all the unwitting encouragement!

CNY rider
08-04-2014, 08:06 PM
I say 6 pages.
At least.
:banana:

ultraman6970
08-04-2014, 08:14 PM
You get what you pay for. I know a forum member that got a pair of bibs in the UK, now he understand why the 40 bucks bib or the 40 bucks long winter bib doesnt cut it at all, rather do not ride during the winter than buy those things, since I dont have dough I dont ride during the winter :P

For example the other day went with my wife to a store nearby, they had some really good stuff (cant remember the brand right now), I was impressed because they usually had trek crap stuff only, the price in those italian made bibs and jerseys was fair, good quality all over, my only problem was that I was not going to pay 199 bucks for a pair of bibs with the name of the store all over the place. If they were cheaper I would not have a problem doing some advertisement for free for them but for 200 bucks coming from my pocket no way!.

For that rather have an 80's team kit and do advertisement to la vie claire or even Peugeot :P

BumbleBeeDave
08-04-2014, 09:07 PM
I say 6 pages.
At least.
:banana:

There. THAT should add 3-4 pages at least! :bike:

BBD

08-04-2014, 11:00 PM
Knock it off, BBD.

This kind of clothing is only really comfortable if you're wearing it while riding tubulars.

zennmotion
08-04-2014, 11:42 PM
Knock it off, BBD.

This kind of clothing is only really comfortable if you're wearing it while riding tubulars and without a helmet.

Fixed it for you.

Dead Man
08-04-2014, 11:50 PM
Rapha wearers don't wear helmets?

This brings to mind an interesting question: Who wears Rapha? I suddenly realize I can't actually picture a stereotypical Rapha wearer.

Describe him: who wears Rapha?

Louis
08-05-2014, 12:11 AM
The something else was the Assos factory store site. As with Rapha, I could not bring myself to pay full freight on something I had not tried, so I ended up with some bibs and a jersey.

I'm not sure what all this Rapha and Assos stuff is about - real Green Mountain cyclists only wear wool.

cinema
08-05-2014, 12:15 AM

This brings to mind an interesting question: Who wears Rapha? I suddenly realize I can't actually picture a stereotypical Rapha wearer.

In LA:
0% of freds
99% of bros

CNY rider
08-05-2014, 06:12 AM

I would post a pic of my dentist but he's out riding his Serotta.

cash05458
08-05-2014, 06:22 AM
"I would post a pic of my dentist but he's out riding his Serotta."

absolutely a classic...:hello:

rustychisel
08-05-2014, 06:23 AM
[QUOTE=CNY rider;1597729]I would post a pic of my dentist but he's out riding his Serotta.[/QUOTE

heh heh.