PDA

View Full Version : Can't Find A Breakfast That Works?

Hawker
08-04-2014, 03:19 PM
I'm 64, 132 lbs but had a heart attack 18mos. ago. I am not a morning person, never have been and I do my best riding later in the day. However, it is hot in GA and my work schedule often interferes with riding later in the day.

So...for morning riding I have to eat some sort of substantial breakfast with protein. A large bowl of low-fat cereal with bananas, blueberries, peaches, dried cranberries, etc. and coffee looks good but on a hot day, ninety minutes into the ride often I am feeling a real need for energy. Sometimes a gel gets me thorough but I still feel famished. An egg and bacon feels much better but neither are particularly good for my cholesterol...and for that matter cereal and fruit is a lot of carbs and sugur as well.

So, any recommendations other than Oatmeal...I can't stand the smell or the taste....unless it's in cookies. :)

Exonerv
08-04-2014, 03:23 PM
I'm 53 and I'm sold on peanut butter, banana & honey on some sort of good toasted bread from the deli. I actually prefer the combo on rosemary and olive bread. Plenty of fuel and it burns nice and slow.

It too is a lot of carbs and sugar, plus the protein from the PB, but with this breakfast eaten about 30-45 mins before my ride, I can easily go 3 hours on just water. Any longer and I need 1/2 a Cliff bar to not feel hungry

Black Dog
08-04-2014, 03:25 PM
Try yogurt with granola and all the fruit you mentioned.

MattTuck
08-04-2014, 03:26 PM
Are you looking for stuff you can eat/make pretty quick? or just looking for new things to try?

Did your dr. say that eggs were bad? I thought that they were back on the 'ok to eat' list. In moderation of course. I'd still stay away from the bacon. ;)

You can make muffin tin fritattas. that have egg, but also veggies, and meat, cheese.

You could try a whey protein shake.

You could do what the pros do, and have pasta with an egg.

Breakfast burrito?

Also, agree with the above. yogurt and granola sounds like it could be good.

stephenmarklay
08-04-2014, 03:29 PM
There a several factors that go into this for me. First is my fitness level. I am starting to get a little fitness right now so my eating on a ride is changing.

Out of shape I need more carbs. I will then bring a banana with me and sip some sort of drink. For me that is coconut water with salt added. I like the lime flavored.

As my fitness gets better I spare carbohydrates more and burn fat better. So right now I am riding up to about 3 hours with no food in the morning or on the ride. I feel good with that but if I were worried about performance such as a race I would have food with me.

What matters to me more is how I ate the day before. My favorite snack is bananas and peanut butter. I will eat that at night if I am riding in the morning. I don't worry much if I had not ridden that day as I am storing more away and don't need to replace it.

Food for thought ;)

biker72
08-04-2014, 03:30 PM
One cinnamon raisin bagel loaded with Smuckers natural crunchy peanut butter and coffee. Carry a powerbar and a couple of fig newtons with me just in case.

I'm generally on the road in the summer by 6am.

Seramount
08-04-2014, 03:31 PM
I go full-tilt for breakfast every day whether I'm riding or not.

bacon or sausage, egg w/tomato and avocado, fruit, PBJ on bread, coffee, maybe some cereal...

zennmotion
08-04-2014, 03:33 PM
This one may be hard to find but look around your local natural foods stores for teff. Its a very low glycemic high protein grain, originally from Africa but US specialty farmers are now growing it. It has a very nice nutty taste, very small sized (smallest grain in the world IIRC) and it cooks quickly as a porridge- 1 cup teff, 3 cups water, bring to a boil then immediately lower the heat to very low and cook 5-10 mins stir a few times- careful it boils over easily. I stir a large glop of Pnut or almond butter, a spoon of honey and a handful of raisins or fruit, with soy milk or milk. This is my long hard day breakfast, super energy for a long slow burn, and I think it tastes great. I'm not a fan of oatmeal either. Here's an online source if you can't find it locally- my local coop has it in the bulk grain section.
http://www.vitacost.com/bobs-red-mill-whole-grain-teff?csrc=GPF-PA-Foods%20%26%20Beverages-039978005366&ci_gpa=pla&ci_kw=&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=039978005366&gclid=CIazvoC6-r8CFeRj7AodiE8Aww

ultraman6970
08-04-2014, 03:47 PM
At your age the nuts aren't working as they should... have you checked your mojo's levels?? (testosterone)

rnhood
08-04-2014, 03:48 PM
The less vices with food the healthier you will be. The raisin bagel with peanut butter and a power bar or fig newtons is a good idea for energy that includes plenty of protein. Waffles with syrup is another good energy food. Pasta too. A snickers bar is a good pre-ride fuel just before you set out especially if you have not eaten much that morning.

Protein generally slows digestion down and offers little with regards to fueling. Fruit doesn't provide enough calories so don't rely on it alone for your fuel. A healthy dinner will help with your morning energy level. Red meat is full of protein and the type iron that the body is able to absorb, as well as other beneficial nutrients. Grains and pasta are also very good for the evening meal.

josephr
08-04-2014, 03:51 PM
peanut butter and banana sandwich usually does the trick for me...usually whole wheat, but its even better if we happen to have some Ezekiel bread.

false_Aest
08-04-2014, 03:55 PM
IIRC Hammer Nutrition and a few other studies suggest that whey protein before/during aerobic exercise is bad for you. IIRC it is converted into ammonia and that's like only good for like cleaning or something.

Soy for pre/during exercise.
Whey for post.
Casein for "extended release"

zennmotion
08-04-2014, 03:57 PM
The less vices with food the healthier you will be. The raisin bagel with peanut butter and a power bar or fig newtons is a good idea for energy that includes plenty of protein. Waffles with syrup is another good energy food. Pasta too. A snickers bar is a good pre-ride fuel just before you set out especially if you have not eaten much that morning.

Surely you're joking?

bargainguy
08-04-2014, 04:00 PM
Greek yogurt + fruit or whatever else you like. High protein, low fat, should keep you going without clogging you up.

gomango
08-04-2014, 04:11 PM
Greek yogurt + fruit or whatever else you like. High protein, low fat, should keep you going without clogging you up.

That's the ticket for me.

Plenty of energy for my morning ride, my weight keeps coming back down to Earth and I don't get the sleepies in the early afternoon.

I follow it up every day with a large, delicious salad from our garden for lunch.

Now if I could figure out supper with the family......

Germany_chris
08-04-2014, 04:14 PM
I have 4 boiled eggs (whites only) and Grits most mornings protein and carbs in one shot.

John H.
08-04-2014, 04:35 PM
I think your breakfast is fine, just keep the eating going during your ride.
Start eating before you are hungry.
30 minutes in eat part of a bar, part of a sandwich, etc.
Sounds like solid food will work better if you are feeling hungry.

cnighbor1
08-04-2014, 04:45 PM
A good diet can help you get the best fitness and sport results. Sports nutritionist and registered dietitian Wendy Martinson shares her tips on food and drink for athletes.

Wendy advises Olympic athletes on how to improve their diet. She is a lead performance nutritionist for the English Institute of Sport and nutritionist for the Great Britain rowing team.

Everyone should aim to eat a healthy balanced diet, whatever their activity level, as this will provide you with all the nutrients you need.

The following additional advice is for people who are training once per day or more.

Can I eat more when I'm doing lots of exercise?
If you are exercising once or more every day, you will use more energy than if you did little or none. If you are a healthy weight and you don't want to lose body fat, you will need to eat more food each day to maintain your weight.

But you still need to make sure that you have a balanced diet. To increase your energy intake and fuel your training sessions, eat more carbohydrate-rich foods, such as bread, cereals, rice, pasta and potatoes. Try to choose wholegrain varieties, and eat potatoes with their skins on. Include sources of essential fats from foods such as oily fish, nuts and seeds. You will also need enough protein-rich foods to help repair and build your muscles.

Learn more about how to have a balanced diet in The eatwell plate.

Is it better to eat a diet high in starchy carbohydrates or protein when I'm training?
You will need more carbohydrate and protein if you are training regularly each day. Carbohydrates are the fuel that power your exercise regime.

Carbohydrates, including bread, pasta, rice, potatoes and cereals, are the most important fuel for muscles, and an essential energy source for the brain and central nervous system.

Carbohydrates are stored as glycogen in the muscles and liver. These stores are small, so a regular intake of carbohydrate is necessary to keep them topped up. Low glycogen stores may result in poor performance and increase the risk of injury. For some sports however, such as weight making sports where elite athletes may have to weigh in at a certain weight category (such as boxing), or endurance sports (such as long-distance running), there can be physiological benefits of training with low glycogen stores during certain sessions. These sessions must be carefully planned, due to the potential risks.

Most people will be able to get enough protein from a healthy, varied diet. Good sources of protein include meat, fish, eggs and dairy foods.

Athletes need protein in greater amounts and at regular intervals throughout the day for muscle growth and repair. The proportions of carbohydrate and protein required will vary depending on the sport, so it's best to seek advice from a qualified professional on your individual requirements.

Learn more by reading our pages on starchy foods and a balanced diet.

How should I time my meals and snacks around exercise?
Once you’ve eaten a meal or snack, allow between one and four hours to pass before you start exercising. Your body needs time to digest. The amount of time will depend on the amount of food you've eaten.

If it's an average meal, eating around two to three hours before you exercise works well. If you have only an hour or so before you exercise then aim for a meal or snack that is rich in carbohydrate, low in fat and moderate in protein, such as porridge made with low-fat milk or a wholegrain sandwich or bagel with chicken and salad. Too much protein or fat will slow down the movement of foods from the stomach, and will make you feel uncomfortable.

Food and drink also plays a part in recovering effectively from training. Good recovery is crucial to prevent a midweek slump in energy levels, and to aid muscle growth and repair. If you are training more than once a day and you have fewer than eight hours between sessions, aim to have a carbohydrate and protein-rich food or drink within 30 to 60 minutes of finishing your first session. If you are training less than this, or with more time to recover, just eat as soon as you can afterwards.

Do I need to drink when I exercise?
Dehydration is when the water content in your body falls too low. It can have a major effect on exercise performance. It's important to start any exercise session well hydrated. Aim to do this by drinking water regularly during the course of the day.

The amount you need to drink during exercise depends on the amount you sweat. This varies from person to person and also depends on the intensity and length of time exercising, as well as environmental factors.

Water is usually enough for most forms of exercise up to about an hour. For longer duration exercise lasting several hours, where energy and fluid needs may be greater, a carbohydrate, electrolyte-containing sports drink may be of benefit.

For athletes with a heavy training schedule each day, the carbohydrates in a sports drink can help to maintain energy levels, and the electrolytes can help to replace salt lost in sweat.

Learn more from our water and drinks page.

My friend exercises to lose weight, but I exercise to build muscle. Should our diets be different?
Yes. To lose weight or, more specifically, body fat, the amount of energy that you consume has to be less than the amount of energy you burn. You will need a diet and exercise regime that makes this happen.

If you are exercising to lose weight, there are key steps you can take to reduce the energy content in your daily diet. Reduce fat, which is the most concentrated source of energy, as well as your alcohol consumption. Eat fewer sugary foods, such as sweets, chocolates, cakes, biscuits and sugary drinks, and eat regular but smaller portions of complex carbohydrate foods, such as wholegrain bread, rice and pasta. Include small amounts of foods with essential fats, such as nuts, seeds and oily fish.

Protein foods – such as chicken, fish, lean red meat and low-fat dairy foods – should be included at each meal time to help maintain muscle mass. Eat lots of a variety of fruit and vegetables. It's also important to control portion sizes, too.

Learn more from our start losing weight page.

But to build muscle you need to combine resistance training (also called strength training) with a diet that includes enough energy to enable your body to make muscle, and sufficient and regular amounts of protein.

This energy should come mainly in the form of carbohydrate-rich foods, but don't forget to include foods providing essential fats, such as oily fish, nuts and seeds.

Protein provides the building blocks that help to make muscle. Protein should be included at all mealtimes and particularly before and after a resistance training session. Lower fat milk or low-fat plain yoghurt (which tends to be higher in protein than standard yoghurt) is a practical, easy way to consume protein after training.

Should I take extra supplements when I'm playing sport?
There are many different supplements on the market. Some of them are based on solid research, but others aren't. Most people won't need to take supplements, and athletes need to consider supplements with extreme caution. In the past, some supplements were found to have been contaminated with banned substances. Find out more in the bodybuilding and sports supplements page.

First, ensure that you have a healthy, balanced diet that suits your sport. Consult a registered dietitian or nutritionist with expertise in sports nutrition. They can assess this and advise you on particular supplements.

cnighbor1
08-04-2014, 04:47 PM
Proper Nutrition for Athletes

Use Specific Nutrition Information for Athletes to Better Fuel Your Body for Exercise and Recovery

As athletes, we often spend too much time putting together our workouts, trying to get each detail just right, each rep and set scheme, each training method, and each periodization model just right for our progress.

But, as coaches, we know that even if we train hard in the gym every day, we are only training about 5-6 hours total, not including practice, and maybe games or competition.

Regardless, that still leaves a lot of time, right?

The point is that it's what we do outside of the gym, or off the field, or outside of competition that allows us to get the most out of what we do--mostly sleep and athlete nutrition.

Although sleep is extremely important, the main focus of this page is nutrition.

The importance of Proper Nutrition for Athletes in Optimal Athletic Performance

Proper nutrition for athletes is one of the most important training factors and should be included in the foundation of a well-planned, comprehensive sports performance enhancement program.

Without proper fuel and nourishment for your body, you will not attain your full athletic potential and will be more susceptible to fatigue and injury.

Realizing the full benefits of a consistent and well-designed performance enhancement training program requires a balanced, healthy, nutrient dense diet coupled with specific nutrient timing.

Remember, the amount of work and effort an athlete exerts in performance training is only effective and beneficial if s/he puts the correct balance of healthy foods into his/her system AND the athlete gets sufficient sleep.

Having proper nutrition for athletes is crucial to performance enhancement and we strongly urge each athlete to treat it that way.

Reduce Injury Risk and Combat Fatigue by Eating the Right Foods
Research shows that most injuries occur in the last 20 minutes of practice or a game, which is typically, when fatigue increases.

Besides improper training preparation (specific conditioning and sports fitness, which is also known as energy system development), a decreased level of carbohydrate intake is one of the main factors responsible for the onset of fatigue.

What this means is that without the proper nutrition for athletes prior to and during competition, the body will run out of fuel and shut down, regardless of how well the athlete is trained from a physical standpoint...

You can't drive a brand new car on an empty tank!

The human body requires proper nutrition--Proper nutrition for athletes includes eating a healthy, nutrient rich, balanced diet.

Athlete Nutrition Guidelines:
(Proper Nutrition for Athletes Guidelines taken from "Advanced Exercise Nutrition version 1.1" by Marie Dunford, Human Kinetics, 2007--this is an excellent text and part of the online sports nutrition course offered by Human Kinetics)

Strength Trained Athletes Need:
1.Energy: 30-60 calories per kilogram of body weight per day. Needs vary based on the specific sport and training regime.

2.Carbohydrates: 5-7 grams per kilogram per day is typically adequate for high intensity, short duration training; 8-10 g/kg may be needed to support prolonged training

3.Protein: 1.4-1.7 grams per kilogram of body weight per day

4.Fats: At least 1.0 gram per kilogram of body weight per day and enough to meet energy needs

Endurance Trained Athletes Need:
1.Energy: 35-50+ calories per kilogram of body weight per day. Needs vary based on the specific sport and training regime.

2.Carbohydrates: 6-8 grams per kilogram of body weight per day; 8 to 10 g/kg during heavy training and competition. Ultraendurance athletes typically require a minimum of 8 g/kg during training and need substantially more than 10 g/kg during intense training and competition

3.Protein: 1.2-1.6 grams per kilogram of body weight per day

4.Fats: At least 1.0 gram per kilogram of body weight per day and enough to meet energy needs

Additional Athlete Nutrition Guidelines:

Pre-Exercise: Guidelines for Proper Nutrition for Athletes
1.One to four hours prior to exercise, athletes should consume meals that are high in carbohydrate, moderate in protein, low in fat, and adequate in fluids and energy. This type of meal will provide glucose, prevent dehydration, and delay fatigue.

2.In the hour prior to exercise, the focus narrows to carbohydrate and fluid intake.

3.The amount of food consumed is determined by the amount of time before the exercise begins. Smaller meals are eaten closer to an athlete’s starting time, and larger meals are eaten when there is more time for the meal to be digested. The athlete can set the stage for good performance by consuming the right amount of food and fluid at the right time.

During Exercise: Guidelines for Proper Nutrition for Athletes
1.Recommendations for food and fluid intake during training or performance depend on the sport.

2.The intensity of exercise, the amount of gastrointestinal distress, and the demands of high environmental temperatures and humidity are some of the reasons that food and fluid intake falls short

3.For athletes who engage in prolonged exercise in the heat, carbohydrate, fluid, and electrolyte intake is absolutely critical for performance and health.

4.The American College of Sports Medicine guidelines for fluid replacement during exercise are the consumption of 150 to 350 ml (~ 5 to 12 ounces) at 15 to 20 minute intervals beginning with the onset of exercise.

5.During prolonged exercise most athletes consume a beverage containing 6 to 8% carbohydrate.

Post Exercise: Guidelines for Proper Nutrition for Athletes
1.Within the first hour after exercise at least 1 gram of carbohydrate per kilogram of body weight should be consumed. One of the most important factors in muscle glycogen resynthesis (replacing energy stores in the muscles) is the consumption of carbohydrate immediately after exercise.

2.Consumption of a small amount of protein is also beneficial.

3.Carbohydrate and fluid consumption should continue for at least the next four to six hours.

4.Taking a scale weight before and after exercise can help the athlete estimate how much fluid was lost during exercise and determine how much fluid needs to be consumed. Along with weight, monitoring urine color and thirst are simple ways to evalute current hydration status

Hawker
08-04-2014, 04:49 PM
Thanks guys for your input.

Yes, preferably I am looking for something quick...the less actual cooking the better. Also something that doesn't have a ton of sugar and cholesterol and not just something that fills your stomach...but something that will give me energy for at least a couple of hours.

I would love to get it down to something like a protein shake but I have tried whey protein shakes made from Body Fortress (Wal-Mart) and while the label looks good, even when mixed with fruit...it doesn't work for me as a substitute for a real meal. I'm using one scoop into skim milk.

cnighbor1
08-04-2014, 04:52 PM
While certain foods in your diet can actually reduce stamina, healthy foods help to build up your stamina and increase your energy level, especially if you’re interested in sports and athletics. As a sportsperson, you need foods that are designed to not only give you energy but also keep you feeling full all day long.
Says nutritionist Smruti Gokhale, “Nutrients like complex carbs, proteins, fibre and vitamin C is crucial for those who are into sports. These nutrients keep you active and feeling energetic.”

Essential nutrients
Complex carbs: When you are talking about building stamina, you just cannot miss out on complex carbs. Carbs are the main source of fuel for your body and brain. Says Priya Kathpal, nutritionist BCUBE, “Carbs is the food that the body uses to get glucose, which provides energy. Complex carbs are present in foods like bread, pasta and rice, which unlike simple carbs, keep you feeling energetic all day long.”

Vitamin C: Vitamin C helps strengthen your immune system and protects you from infections like cold and cough, which sap your energy. Also, when you are outdoors, you are more susceptible to bacterial infections, which hamper your health. Thus ensure that you consume foods and fruits rich in vitamin C.

Proteins: Protein is an important nutrient for the growth, development and repair of muscle and body tissues. Protein has a higher metabolic rate than fat, so an individual can burn more calories. It is also said to increase satiety, which prevents a person from overeating. Healthy sources of protein include lean chicken, fish, eggs and nuts.

Iron: Lack of iron in your diet can cause loss of stamina. You can get iron from meat, beans, nuts and some vegetables such as broccoli and spinach. Consult your doctor about taking iron supplements.

Foods that build stamina
Oatmeal: Oatmeal is an unprocessed carb, which gets digested slowly and hence keeps you feeling full for a longer period of time. Says Kathpal, “A power-packed cereal, oatmeal provides sustained energy for hours. Due to high content of complex carbs, it breaks down slowly in your body and keeps the blood sugar at optimum level.”

Beans: Rich in mineral and iron which helps your body to generate RBCs (Red Blood Cells) that carry oxygen to the muscles when you are exercising and also builds stamina.

Coffee: Coffee is known to be an instant energy provider. It is known to help fight against fatigue, as it triggers the central nervous system. Coffee keeps you energised and active throughout the day.

Green leafy vegetables: Packed with micronutrients, it is essential for building stamina and also to improve your RBC count. Green leafy veggies are rich in fibre and digest slowly while maintaining your blood-glucose level.

Bananas: Bananas are a particularly good energy source and these are best eaten a few hours before you intend to exert yourself. Along with being great sources of carbs, they are also effective because they trigger the release of ‘dopamine’ — a chemical that builds your concentration and focus.

Peanut butter: Peanuts are said to contain Omega 3 fatty acids that helps in reducing pain, boost heart health and develop your brain. Peanut butter is also excellent for building stamina. It is high in calories and digests slowly. Consume peanut butter in combination with complex carbs.

Lean meat, fish, chicken and eggs: Says Gokhale, “Rich in protein, these foods are important for growth and development, muscle building and repair. Meat takes a longer time to digest and thus keeps you feeling full and active all day long.”

Red grapes: Red grapes contains ‘resveratol’ which provides increased energy. These grapes contain a very small amount of sugar, which gives you instant energy and helps build stamina.

Beetroot juice: Consuming a glass of beetroot juice before exercising will make your body work for long hours without feeling exhausted. Beetroot is rich in vitamin A and C — both help in building stamina and reducing fatigue.

Quinoa: Quinoa (Bathua) was declared to be a sacred grain by the Inca Empire and was fed to the warriors so that they could get energy! It contains eight essential amino acids, vitamins, minerals and fibre. It gives instant energy and keeps you active. It’s easy to cook and can be cooked like rice in only 10 minutes.

paredown
08-04-2014, 05:28 PM

Put me down as a third recommendation for this sort of breakfast--we got started on this while in Germany.

We've been doing roughly 4 tablespoons of non fat Greek, a couple of tablespoons of regular or lowfat to make it a little more liquid, about 4 tablespoons/1/4cup of berries (we get the Costco frozen wild blueberries and nuke them), and about 1/2 cup of good quality granola (Costco Nature's Path w. pumpkin seeds) and a squirt of Agave syrup (also from Costco). Mix berries, yoghurt and syrup and then the granola on top....

Not sure of the calorie count, but I can last until lunch time on this.

And I can no longer assimilate high sugar foods--since contracting Lyme's and getting older....and this has a fairly slow burn.

Ralph
08-04-2014, 05:46 PM
Never had a heart attack, but am 73 and on no medication, and work hard to stay off medication. Also ride 4-5 times a week in 80-95 degree heat, so sweat a lot. I think I understand your problem.

Since you've had a heart attack already, I assume you know how to eat for yourself. How to eat a balanced diet for your specific health condition. Following Doctors orders. I don't know what medication you are on, and how that affects your body's performance. Don't know if you are on blood thinners, anti clogging, blood pressure meds, cholesterol lowering drugs, etc. All these will affect your cycling.

Since I'm not interested in having any heart disease, I tend to follow the Bill Clinton type of diet....when I'm off the bike. Fruits, veggies, nuts, etc. He's the healthiest person I know who's had a heart attack.

On the bike, since I know I'm riding beyond the ability of my stored energy to supply fuel on a 3-4 hour ride.....I just take in sugar in several ways. Since that's ultimately what I'm riding on. Gatorade.....80 MG sugar, 160 MG sodium, 45 MG potassium in a serving size. Then fig bars usually, or sometimes Power Bars when they are on sale. On longer 4-5 hour rides in this heat.....after 3-4 hours....Coke maybe (140 calories) with caffeine to aid absorbtion, sneaker bars, anything with sugar really. Salty chips or peanuts maybe. I'm not picky. Doing this....I never run out of gas....maybe tired, but not exhausted.

After ride.....after A recovery smoothie.....back to "no sugar added" foods heart healthy diet.

dustyrider
08-04-2014, 05:47 PM
Breakfast during the week: one egg, half a bagel, one veggie burger. Ride within an hour.
Breakfast during the weekend: two eggs, breakfast potatoes, re-fry beans, veggie burger, tortilla. Ride within two hours.

I can get a solid 2-2.5 hours in before I need more calories. 16-17 mph. Avg. hills included. I can push that to 3-3.5 if I end the ride and start to consume, or else I'll bonk and the day is ruined. On the bike food includes: dried fruit and meat, fresh fruits and nuts. I've been meaning to make up some sushi rolls and keep them overnight. Except I have very little self control and end up eating them.

Wesley37
08-04-2014, 05:54 PM
6 days out of 7, I make oatmeal for the family, overnight in a slow cooker.

So the night before, 1 c steelcut oats, 1/4 c of amaranth (adds a bit of protein), a couple of handfuls of sunflower seeds (they cook in quite nicely and add protein and fat as well), salt to taste, 1/2 tbsp cinnamon, and I chop in almonds and walnuts. Some coconut oil, 4.75 c of water, turn the slowcooker on low, go the bed.

Next morning, ready for breakfast. Lots of fiber, healthy fats, protein, and complex carbs for fueling up my morning. I usually mix in some maple syrup, fruit works well as well.

PS Make sure to coat the inside of the slowcooker with thin layer of oil, otherwise it will be very hard to clean

slidey
08-04-2014, 06:01 PM
That's 4 for Greek yogurt (+ stuff) as b'fast

B'fast however comes after a ride/run/workout, but then again I barely surpass 90 mins of cardio activity in the AM.

thwart
08-04-2014, 06:56 PM
So the night before, 1 c steelcut oats, 1/4 c of amaranth (adds a bit of protein), a couple of handfuls of sunflower seeds (they cook in quite nicely and add protein and fat as well), salt to taste, 1/2 tbsp cinnamon, and I chop in almonds and walnuts. Some coconut oil, 4.75 c of water, turn the slowcooker on low, go the bed.

Next morning, ready for breakfast. Lots of fiber, healthy fats, protein, and complex carbs for fueling up my morning. I usually mix in some maple syrup, fruit works well as well.

Oh, man. You're killin' me here.

pbarry
08-04-2014, 07:40 PM
When I hit my late 40's, the oatmeal/granola/yogurt routine no longer kept me going. Switched to bacon and eggs and life is good. Understood that cholesterol is an issue. Egg whites, turkey, and lite cheese sandwich on whole grain as a substitute? Raw almonds and/or PB recipes while riding, before getting hungry?

stephenmarklay
08-04-2014, 08:04 PM
IIRC Hammer Nutrition and a few other studies suggest that whey protein before/during aerobic exercise is bad for you. IIRC it is converted into ammonia and that's like only good for like cleaning or something.

Soy for pre/during exercise.
Whey for post.
Casein for "extended release"

Thats total BS and only quoted (by them) to support the bottom dollar of Hammer. Soy protein is only good if you are looking for ways to support GMO foods or looking for breasts.

CNY rider
08-04-2014, 08:04 PM
I think your breakfast is fine, just keep the eating going during your ride.
Start eating before you are hungry.
30 minutes in eat part of a bar, part of a sandwich, etc.
Sounds like solid food will work better if you are feeling hungry.

This is what I also thought reading the original post.
Am I correct, OP, that you are 90 minutes into your ride and have not eaten since you had breakfast?
I think you need to start eating more while you ride.

Tandem Rider
08-04-2014, 08:06 PM
When I got well into my 50's my dietary needs began to change. I find I need more fats and protiens now. 10 years ago anything but a complex carb before a hard workout meant I would see it again. Now a little lean meat, cheese or poached egg added to the mix helps a lot. For me, once I start using short chain or simple carbs, I'm commited to it for the rest of the workout or race. A gel pack is good for about 20-30 minutes, then I need another, and another. Syrup, honey, brown sugar, etc. is the same way.

I believe that as our bodies change, so does the fueling requirement. We have to really listen to and think critically about what it is telling us.

pbarry
08-04-2014, 09:09 PM
thats total bs and only quoted (by them) to support the bottom dollar of hammer. Soy protein is only good if you are looking for ways to support gmo foods or looking for breasts.

+1

texbike
08-04-2014, 09:48 PM
Wow! Reading all of these posts, it sounds like I should be eating more before rides. My morning pre-ride "meal" is usually a cup of coffee (or two) and maybe a banana. That usually gets me through 3-3.5 hrs of moderate paced riding. On-bike nutrition is usually a bottle full of self-mixed Gatorade (plus a cookie if we stop at a Starbucks somewhere along the way).

I must be running off all of the Tex-Mex that builds up in my system during the week. :cool:

lil_champ
08-04-2014, 10:28 PM
A migas breakfast taco and a cup of coffee. Maybe a banana if I'm still hungry.

jimoots
08-04-2014, 10:36 PM
My basic morning breakfast is low-fat, low-sugar flavoured milk (Iced Coffee is big in South Australia) and a few bananas. If I have come back from riding (read: training), I will throw in some rice pudding to get the calories/carbs up.

Seems to tide me over quite easily to 12-1pm.

I personally find lunches harder to sort out, if I'm not riding that day it is way too easy to over-eat without feeling satisfied.

rugbysecondrow
08-05-2014, 06:36 AM
Thanks guys for your input.

Yes, preferably I am looking for something quick...the less actual cooking the better. Also something that doesn't have a ton of sugar and cholesterol and not just something that fills your stomach...but something that will give me energy for at least a couple of hours.

I would love to get it down to something like a protein shake but I have tried whey protein shakes made from Body Fortress (Wal-Mart) and while the label looks good, even when mixed with fruit...it doesn't work for me as a substitute for a real meal. I'm using one scoop into skim milk.

I am a smoothie drinker in the morning, and I often workout at 930AM. I make enough to have pre and post workout. I normally have a 1:1 fruit to vegetable ratio and I will add protein while blending it (yogurt, peanut butter, powder supplement, raw eggs). This concoction does well for me and I have a great bit of energy for what I need to start the day.

I have become primarily a whole food consumer the past couple of years, so this helps me stay close to that.

Cheers

Paul

stephenmarklay
08-05-2014, 06:40 AM
I am a smoothie drinker in the morning, and I often workout at 930AM. I make enough to have pre and post workout. I normally have a 1:1 fruit to vegetable ratio and I will add protein while blending it (yogurt, peanut butter, powder supplement, raw eggs). This concoction does well for me and I have a great bit of energy for what I need to start the day.

I have become primarily a whole food consumer the past couple of years, so this helps me stay close to that.

Cheers

Paul

Kind of sounds like me... Its easy to cram a lot of spinach and or kale in smoothie. I stopped the powders in favor of the eggs and or raw milk.

Gsinill
08-05-2014, 07:08 AM
Wow! Reading all of these posts, it sounds like I should be eating more before rides. My morning pre-ride "meal" is usually a cup of coffee (or two) and maybe a banana...

Same here; I was actually about to post a question similar to the OP's.
My problem is that my tolerance level for feeling stuffed when I work out is really low, meaning that I don't have to eat a lot before I feel like I am carrying a rock in my belly while I ride.
Since I also tend to be on the bike early, having breakfast 2h in advance is not really an option.
Guess I have to keep trying to find the right balance...

rugbysecondrow
08-05-2014, 07:20 AM
As an aside, for a morning workout, I find that my evening nutrition is just as important as my morning meal.

dekindy
08-05-2014, 07:29 AM
http://www.skratchlabs.com/collections/food
These books might help.

jblande
08-05-2014, 07:35 AM
If you are getting that hungry first thing in the morning after eating a big breakfast, I would wonder if the issue is not hydration.

TomNY
08-05-2014, 07:51 AM
Good morning and for what it"s worth I have some ideas to share w you. Heart rate monitor will indicate the type of stored energy you are using to pedal the bike. Low HR = fat burn, Med-high = Glycogen [sugar - rocket fuel] and fat stores. High intensity burns the rocket fuel only.

Protein is not a significant energy source, carbs and fat are. When you are out on a 90+ ride[ depending heart rate] you have put a serious dent into your stores of Glycogen, and fat your body has been able to mobilize for locomotion. You are burning more calories than you have consumed so hungry and knackered are appropriate. You need to continue fueling as you ride.

I think you are are OK w cereal and fruit. Alternatives [ besides oatmeal] include making brown rice evening or days before. Warmed up with touch of honey, maple syrup, or jam, add salt, and fruit as tolerable. On the bike, I take my own sandwiches of peanut butter, jam, diced apricots or cran raisins, sea salt, touch of Nutella, cinnamon on whole wheat bread. If it's a long ride over 3 hours I spread maple syrup on outside of a second sandwich. This is a sticky mess I cut into quarters, wrap in wax paper for portions.

Protein food I take along are single slices of turkey, pickle spear, on tortilla wrap. Pickle adds the salt and moisture, trim tortilla to minimum. I put this in a zip lock bag because I want a wet easy to chew and digest food. Soggy is my goal here.

Good luck!

I'm 64, 132 lbs but had a heart attack 18mos. ago. I am not a morning person, never have been and I do my best riding later in the day. However, it is hot in GA and my work schedule often interferes with riding later in the day.

So...for morning riding I have to eat some sort of substantial breakfast with protein. A large bowl of low-fat cereal with bananas, blueberries, peaches, dried cranberries, etc. and coffee looks good but on a hot day, ninety minutes into the ride often I am feeling a real need for energy. Sometimes a gel gets me thorough but I still feel famished. An egg and bacon feels much better but neither are particularly good for my cholesterol...and for that matter cereal and fruit is a lot of carbs and sugur as well.

So, any recommendations other than Oatmeal...I can't stand the smell or the taste....unless it's in cookies. :)

dekindy
08-05-2014, 08:09 AM
This is great for on the bike. Glad I found it.

http://www.backcountry.com/explore/how-to-make-energy-gel

Dired
08-05-2014, 11:37 AM
I'm really liking this one -
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BB5CC8G/

Mixes really well with either cold or hot water/milk and goes down really easy. Plus it includes a spoon inside the packaging for on the go. Downside is the price.

http://www.yourdailyvegan.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/VigilantEats.jpg

Gfi3
08-05-2014, 11:39 AM
I have to say I am quite impressed with detail and time some of you put into food prep for a ride!

For me it's a cup of coffee, a bowl of captain crunch and if I'm lucky a bagel with PB. That get's me to around a 2.5-3 hour ride. For each additional hour I'm good with a half cliff bar and/or gel.

I also find it helpful to drink a full Gatorade before a long ride. I read that in a training book and since I have been doing it I feel much better on long rides. I also try to stick to one bottle of fluids per hour of riding...for me the fluids are more important than the food.

HenryA
08-05-2014, 07:08 PM
To the OP - I know you wrote you don't like oatmeal, but try this version:

For 4 adult servings, put a handful of raisins in a pan of water appropriate for the oatmeal you are cooking. Cut a medium apple into chunks and put in the pan. Add 1 teaspoon of brown sugar, and some cinnamon to taste. Cook this over low heat until the water is brown and the apples and raisins are plump, fat and tender. Then add the real oatmeal (not instant) and cook following package directions. (the balance will refrigerate and microwave well so you have several servings)

A bowl will keep you going for a long while. Cook and eat an egg if you want some protein.

You're gonna like this.

TheseGoTo11
08-06-2014, 08:25 AM
Have you tried a meusli? My wife makes a killer batch. It's mostly oats, but doesn't taste or smell like oatmeal, plus it's eaten cold, which is a plus on a hot GA morning (spent a couple years at Fort Benning in my younger days, so I know what you're facing!).

Here's the recipe:

1 cup dry oats
1 cup milk
1/2 cup yogurt
Handful of chopped nuts (I like almonds)
1 apple, diced
1 tsp or so of cinnamon

You can also add some honey or maple syrup if you want it a little sweeter.

Mix it all up in a bowl, cover it, and let it sit in the fridge overnight. Ready to eat when you get up. It's delicious.

cnighbor1
08-06-2014, 10:41 PM
I never could get oatmeal cooked correctly so I could digest it properly.
If I undercooked it in the microwave it sure wouldn't work for me. If I had the time when working to cook it correct it might have been a good food for breakfast
I finally even in retirement had to give up on it. I couldn't count on when going riding I wouldn't have to stop at the next restroom due to roughage of uncooked oats

''A bowl will keep you going for a long while. Cook and eat an egg if you want some protein. ''

charliedid
08-06-2014, 11:37 PM
Steel cut oats. Not flakes...

I add raisins/dried fruit, nuts, banana, blueberries etc. honey and almond milk.

The trick is to not follow the directions. Put 2 cups oats in a pot with 3.5 cups of water. Bring it all to a boil and add a big pinch of sea salt and give it a big stir. Turn it off and let it sit overnight. Reheat in morning a portion at a time. should give you 6 servings depending. Put the remaining in the fridge.

I may also have eggs and a piece of toast with peanut butter.

Try it you might like it

downtube
08-07-2014, 04:02 AM
1/2 cup of egg whites mixed with some veggies, and 2 slices of chopped up canadian bacon. makes a good omelette and sticks with me. add a large cup of coffee and i am good.

Elefantino
08-07-2014, 04:29 AM
Read about this somewhere but don't remember where. Now it's my everyday breakfast:

One banana, sliced
One cup blueberries
One cup (or a little more) nonfat Greek vanilla yogurt (I like Oikos)
One cup (or a lot more) Grape Nuts
A couple of tablespoons of honey drizzled over it all

Mix. Eat. Enjoy.

marciero
08-07-2014, 07:10 AM
I have been going the route of less insulin-producing foods, and trying to fuel more with fat than carbohydrate. Basically I am aiming for a more ketogenic diet, so have eliminated added sugar, corn syrup, etc., flour of any sort, and significantly reduced or eliminated most grains, fruits, and natural sweeteners like honey, maple syrup, and fruit juices. I still eat amaranth and quinoa in moderation. Both are often called pseudo-grains as they are more like a seed. Processed foods are out as well.

Since fat is slow-burning, this type of diet may not serve racers well, but should be fine for endurance/distance riding.

Have only recently been trying this both on the bike as well as off, so would be interested in others' experiences.

dpk501
08-07-2014, 10:39 AM

Leftover brown rice, egg whites, turkey bacon or ground turkey. Make a fried rice. Done.

John H.
08-07-2014, 10:45 AM
I am a fan of cooked grains.
My go to is a 50/50 mix of brown rice and forbidden rice (black rice).
Cooked in a rice cooker so I have a container ready to go for breakfast or recovery.
I have experimented with many grains.
Amaranth- Cooks up like cream of wheat (if you like that sort of thing).
Quinoa- I like quinoa but I find it to light for a pre-ride breakfast.
Mix- I have made a mix of 25% brown rice, 25% buckwheat, 25% millet, and 25% quinoa.
I cook all of these things in a rice cooker.

Add some protein, maybe some nuts, fruit or dried fruit- good to go.

torquer
08-07-2014, 01:41 PM
Nuts have been mentioned in several replies (including one about testosterone levels, but that's not where I'm going...)

I'm in my 60s, and the biggest adjustment I've made to my pre-ride meals is adding nuts and dried fruit to my oatmeal. (OK, the OP stipulated that he didn't want to hear about oatmeal, so how about muesli or any other cereal fortified with nuts and fruit?) Peanut butter, or even better, almond butter, works too, especially with whole-grain bread, waffles, etc. Maple syrup for adding sweetness (mainly for taste, I don't see any major glycemic benefit, though.)

However you manage to squeeze them in, they produce (in my experience, anyway) a longer period of saity and a moderate glycemic load.

SlackMan
08-07-2014, 01:50 PM
Read about this somewhere but don't remember where. Now it's my everyday breakfast:

One banana, sliced
One cup blueberries

Mix. Eat. Enjoy.

That sounds yummy, but as listed, that is close to a QUART of food! This only jumped out at me because I recently tried the Ezekiel version of Grape Nuts and was struck by how filling a small amount is.

downtube
08-10-2014, 11:02 AM

One banana, sliced
One cup blueberries

Mix. Eat. Enjoy.

We tried this today, only my wife and i split the mixture in half . It tastes good for sure. It is a pretty healthy breakfast, probably too high in sugar for me but it has a lot a strengths. The info below is for a full order, we split it, so you would cut these numbers in half.

Nutrition Facts
Serving Size 681 g
Amount Per Serving
Calories 927Calories from Fat 27
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 3.0g5%
Trans Fat 0.0g
Cholesterol 20mg7%
Sodium 730mg30%
Potassium 685mg20%
Total Carbohydrates 197.3g66%
Dietary Fiber 22.4g90%