PDA

View Full Version : Sarto Custom Energia Road Disc: Reviewed

Charles M
08-04-2014, 08:03 AM
This turned out pretty nice. Had to wait for updated Hydro discs, but it turned out very good (Pics are of older levers).

http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/14-sarto-energia-1.jpg

Sarto build for guys like Fondriest and a few others that they wont allow mention. They also built the stock bikes for Crumpton (which were very good)…

I’m not sure, but I think these guys are the oldest Italian builders that are doing custom carbon and have built exclusively in Italy since the 50’s… Everyone else has gone off shore.

This is a heck of a nice rig. 14 full build (cages, pedals, bar tape etc)….

Story is here: http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/tech-n-spec/sarto-bicycles-custom-energia-disc/

spacemen3
08-04-2014, 10:05 AM
Beautiful. :beer:

John H.
08-04-2014, 11:40 AM
Nice looking bike.
Charles, do you know if they will make one with gravel grinder clearance?

firerescuefin
08-04-2014, 12:25 PM
As always...enjoyed the nuanced/detailed review. What a bike.

Charles M
08-04-2014, 04:51 PM
John, I am out of town right now, but this has reasonable clearance... Let me check...

If you mean cross clearance (32+ section tires) I think they may have the ability.

rnhood
08-04-2014, 04:56 PM
Agree, a detailed and generally excellent review. The pictures are great too.

Very nice looking carbon bike.

John H.
08-04-2014, 05:03 PM
I was thinking 32-40mm

John, I am out of town right now, but this has reasonable clearance... Let me check...

If you mean cross clearance (32+ section tires) I think they may have the ability.

Charles M
08-04-2014, 05:22 PM
Got it.

The factory are on holiday, but you can email them at Karim@SartoAntonio.com and see... They built everything on that bike from raw carbon to tube sets to the fork on site, so it wouldn't surprise me if that can do something...

For this bike, I would guess 28 are not a problem, but I'll see when I get home.

pdmtong
08-04-2014, 05:50 PM
My boutique LBS just started carrying Sarto. The handful of frames I have seen come through so far all look great. The over sized carbon tubes we are all used to seeing with really nice junction lines and a clear go-fast stance. Nothing wildly whacky at the BB or with the stays. The bikes are made for the rider with plenty of ways to personalize and customize. Oh and did I mention regular english or italian BB ? The owner has one which would fit me quite perfectly, so once I can get back on a bike I'll have a chance to experience the ride quality (which he says is outstanding) myself. His eTT 56 (forget which model but it wasnt the super light one) was set up with affordable bits - Campagnolo RS group, shamals and normal cockpit. IIRC it was 15.2#s.

ceolwulf
08-04-2014, 06:04 PM
Just this morning I was thinking that there should be more options along the line of the Domane Classics Edition i.e. ride comfort but combined with more aggressive geometry. Seems to be a very rare combination as far as I can tell with most bikes that focus on comfort also featuring upright "endurance" geometry.

Then this thing comes along and has it all :) beautiful. Now if only I could afford it :help:

pbarry
08-04-2014, 08:05 PM
Great bikes, excellent co. The review is appreciated, but I'm waiting to see a 50 or 100k mile review on one one of your custom bling rides. :rolleyes:

Charles M
08-04-2014, 08:24 PM
I ride a bit, but 100,000 might be a stretch for me...:eek: I've had this bike on the road for more than 6 months and all is well if that helps.

pbarry
08-04-2014, 08:58 PM
I ride a bit, but 100,000 might be a stretch for me...:eek: I've had this bike on the road for more than 6 months and all is well if that helps.

Then I'm impressed, did not see the length of this relationship in the article. I knew Sarto did most things in-house, but wasn't aware of the fork fabrication and testing machinery. Reminds me of another bike co that had a shorter lifespan.

Keep up the good work. :beer:

charliedid
08-04-2014, 11:18 PM
Nice

Glad to see it didn't explode.

Charles M
08-05-2014, 11:02 AM
Then I'm impressed, did not see the length of this relationship in the article. I knew Sarto did most things in-house, but wasn't aware of the fork fabrication and testing machinery. Reminds me of another bike co that had a shorter lifespan.

Keep up the good work. :beer:

Most times I'll have a bike for at least 3 months before I put out anything... I won't do what a lot of publications do and take a prebiotic bike in and back out in a few weeks... But then I'm not under any real pressure either and the older/better reviewers can have a very good idea of what they have on hand in a short time period, so I don't know that my extra time really makes a difference...

There are some similarities, but a lot of differences with Sarto and Serotta. I do like that both companies were not afraid to use different materials and designs. One of the things that bugs me about a few builders is their napoleonic complex re their chosen material....

Sarto has a lot deeper roots in production for larger brands though and they built a little more solid base of cash flow and production. The founders are different guys with different backgrounds as well. None of that is at all a character judgment though. I think both companies have had different economic pressures and different markets as well...

Charles M
08-06-2014, 08:49 PM
I was thinking 32-40mm

Home finally...

Looks like 28's will work.

kramnnim
08-06-2014, 09:07 PM
Okay, never heard of Sarto before you mentioned working on this review a few months ago. Really want an Asola now.

Charles M
08-07-2014, 08:50 AM
They have 3 new models launching as well...

I'm not sure what to do with myself. I really like one of the new ones and have absolutely no need what so ever for another bike given I have 3 more project bikes and 2 stock-ish bikes to get rolled out...

I couldn't fit another bike in the house at this point, but I want it... And a new Crumpton.

I'm at critical mass.