PDA

View Full Version : Stem I.D. help please

dave thompson
08-03-2014, 05:34 PM
I just bought a Bridgestone RB-1 that I believe is all original. The only thing I can't positively identify is the brand of the stem. I can't see any name embossed on it anywhere. Can any of you kind folks give me a brand name to attach to this stem?

bobswire
08-03-2014, 05:47 PM
A side view would help reminds me of cinelli xa stem but I doubt that it is it.
Since the bars are Sakae most likely the stem is too. Pull it to see if any markings are below the stop line.
http://i62.tinypic.com/23h8txk.jpg

josephr
08-03-2014, 05:50 PM
IIRC, towards the end they were using a Ritchey on the RB1 and Sakae on the RB2....I'd think either would have markings on the stalk part of the stem.
Joe

dave thompson
08-03-2014, 06:34 PM
My RB-1 is an '88' first year of the series. It was a barn find, actually a shed find and according to the 1988 Bridgestone catalog everything on my bike is to the same specs/brands with the exception of the tires, replaced because the originals had rotted, brake blocks which were rock hard and maybe the bar tape, though I can't tell. The stem has no markings except for the pictured logo decal.

The bike is 'just my size', a 59 and is in outstanding condition with only a few paint hickeys and scuffs. Rides quite nice. Really don't know why I bought this bike, I guess I'm a sucker for a pretty face.

thisistecumseh
08-03-2014, 07:00 PM
great find! i'm a fellow vintage bridgestone owner. couldn't be happier.

my guess would've been the XA as well but trust the bridgestone catalog on this one.

you could always reach out to grant petersen at rivendell as well for additional info.

seppa
08-03-2014, 07:11 PM
Doesn't look like an XA to me, it does resemble a SR/Sakae Custom, but you typically find those on cheaper models. I've seen the odd Sakae stem with no markings other than the length stamped in it, like this example;

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sakae-Ringyo-SR-Road-Touring-Stem-1980s-95mm-Reach-25-4mm-Clamp-/400734670660?pt=US_Stems&hash=item5d4da5cf44