PDA

View Full Version : Tour of Murcia...No Spoiler

sspielman
03-01-2006, 11:44 AM
Okay...The Tour of Murcia started today in southern Spain. Many of the sports biggest names will have the year's firts test on their racing legs. It is a 5 day race through terrain ranging from gently rolling to a mountainous...with a bonafide mountaintop finish on one stage. The weather is almost always ideal (mid 60's to mid 70's this year!) and almost always dry. I know that alot of fans think that spring cycling is owned by the northern European countries in the pave and mud, but the southern week long stage races are not to be discounted. These races are the reason that the Spanish are (some of) the best stage racers in the world. Another interesting thing about these small stage races is the way they are targeted by some of the smaller Spanish teams. Spanish teams such as Andalusia-Paul Versan and 3-Molinos Resort are not to be discounted. The depth of talent in Spain is such that these teams can contend at the highest level...that is when the ProTour doesn't exclude them from racing....Anyway, this is a great race to follow at any of the results sites...and I just thought that I would ramble a little about one of my favorite races of the year....
P.S.....Saturday's stage finishes at the top of the Alto Collado Bermejo....which is a vicious climb. The top 5 finishers will be riders VERY interested in making a name for themselves this season....