PDA

View Full Version : Enve Stems, Why do people like them so much?

Shortsocks
08-02-2014, 01:00 PM
So Im confused about Enve Stems.

I understand why the Wheels cost so much, or even the forks.

But the Stems they are crazy expensive, Dont weigh that little, as opposed to some Alum Stems that cost way less and weigh less. I have no experience with them so Maybe some people here who have used them can inform me.

Ive used the Easton EC90Sl stem, Pro Vibe Stems, Zipp Stems, pretty much a guy who just likes trying out Stems, getting them piped and tuned it...and then try something else. But ENVE stems seem crazy expensive. Whats the deal with them? Are they stiffer than other stems? What gives? :confused:

pdmtong
08-02-2014, 01:08 PM
The most visible way to tell the world that $350 is pocket lint - enve and moots stems

It's the one place on the bike where something costing 10x less is as performant

It's all about the vibe aura look - Which in the case of both of the above is quite nice.

The price is reflective of brand premium but also fabrication complexity
With the moots there are plenty of tiny welds. With the enve it's just expensive to make a chunk of can't fail carbon

Most people with enve stems are on $10k+ machines. So $350-400 is proportionally a drop in the bucket
As the other guy said. Don't go all DSW with a bling-tastic bike

Joachim
08-02-2014, 01:13 PM
For me it's only aesthetics. An enve stem looks better with larger diameter tubes. A Ritchey WCS stem would've looked dinky on my Firefly.

CunegoFan
08-02-2014, 01:23 PM
But ENVE stems seem crazy expensive. Whats the deal with them? Are they stiffer than other stems? What gives? :confused:

It takes some serious R&D dollars to come up with decals as large and hideous as ENVE's.

krismac23
08-02-2014, 01:40 PM
"Rule #8
// Saddles, bars, and tires shall be carefully matched.3

Valid options are:

Match the saddle to the bars and the tires to black; or
Match the bars to the color of the frame at the top of the head tube and the saddle to the color of the frame at the top of the seat tube and the tires to the color where they come closest to the frame; or
Match the saddle and the bars to the frame decals; or
Black, black, black"

;)

Ahneida Ride
08-02-2014, 01:45 PM
It takes some serious R&D dollars to come up with decals as large and hideous as ENVE's.

Bikes are becoming traveling billboards. :no:

weehastogopee
08-02-2014, 01:47 PM
I tell my (non cyclist) housemate about all the random bike stuff things I buy, and he concluded with "it's not even about the bike, it's all about the swag" and I think it's kinda true...

bicycletricycle
08-02-2014, 01:49 PM
Because they match, stems are among the silliest use of carbon IMHO

CunegoFan
08-02-2014, 01:52 PM
"Rule #8
// Saddles, bars, and tires shall be carefully matched.3

Valid options are:

Match the saddle to the bars and the tires to black; or
Match the bars to the color of the frame at the top of the head tube and the saddle to the color of the frame at the top of the seat tube and the tires to the color where they come closest to the frame; or
Match the saddle and the bars to the frame decals; or
Black, black, black"

Rule #8a: No logo on a component shall be larger or more prominent than that on the frame. This goes double for logos on wheels.

sitzmark
08-02-2014, 01:57 PM
If FWB is to be believed it's a bulldog of a stem (relative strength/weight) ... and carbon. So $$$.

But deflection numbers alone ... Pro Vibe (Sprint) is the stiffest.

http://fairwheelbikes.com/c/forums/topic/2014-stem-review-3/

velotrack
08-02-2014, 02:19 PM
Not that it means $350, but brand premium is something. *edited - not made in the U.S.

thirdgenbird
08-02-2014, 02:28 PM

This.

Can't stand enve stuff. Even without the decals I think something like a Thomson 2x is a more attractive stem. I would happily use one of thier forks if it was paint to match with no decal but would pass on even the thought of their bars, stems, and posts.

For some reason rotor crank branding doesn't seem as bad as the ugly enve logo.

StephenCL
08-02-2014, 02:32 PM
If FWB is to be believed it's a bulldog of a stem (relative strength/weight) ... and carbon. So $$$.

But deflection numbers alone ... Pro Vibe (Sprint) is the stiffest.

http://fairwheelbikes.com/c/forums/topic/2014-stem-review-3/

Actually, strength to weight it is the best stem on the list...still not a fan, but just saying...

Stephen

wallymann
08-02-2014, 02:41 PM
For me it's only aesthetics. An enve stem looks better with larger diameter tubes. A Ritchey WCS stem would've looked dinky on my Firefly.

easton EA90s are silly phat. when i had one on my C40 it looked silly because the stem was phatter than the top-tube! i moved the easton to my large-tubed grinder for that very reason, and fit a not-quite-so-oversized deda to the svelte C40.

eddief
08-02-2014, 05:56 PM
I swear it really works well and no one is laughing at me...yet :).

Makes me wonder if it is dangerous for some reason.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ITM-Four-Racing-Road-Bike-Bicycle-Stem-120mm-31-8mm-Clamp-Black-6061-Alloy-NEW-/191260764550?pt=US_Stems&hash=item2c8807a986

laupsi
08-02-2014, 06:02 PM
Enve Stem, Seat Post, Bars and Wheels: assembled my last bike w/these, the stem and seap post stand out the least, what I really love though are those shallow profile bars and those magnificant 3.4 wheels. costly yes but there's aslo much quality to back it up.

Duende
08-02-2014, 06:28 PM
Well I'm certainly not rich, my bike is understated and low key, and I'm not materialistic by any means.

I am attracted to quality though. So my one road bike has an ENVE stem. And it's easily one of the best purchases I've made.

It's strong and stiff as hell with it's 4 bolt design. Dampens road vibrations very nicely. And I wouldn't think twice about saving to replace this one if (knock on wood) it ever got stolen.

I'm not a fan of their logo's either. Hate the fact that it's so loud and obnoxious. But I'm dealing with it because it is what it is.

Hepmike
08-02-2014, 06:39 PM
Where are they $350-400? If you spent that much you didn't use Google.

Western Bikeworks has them for $265, and with my leader discount I paid about $225. Still expensive, but there is also eBay/Craigslist.

eddief
08-02-2014, 06:51 PM
slick and subtle at the same time.

http://www.artscyclery.com/Zipp_SC_SL_Stem_6deg_Beyond_Black_110mm/descpage-ZPSCSLB.html?gclid=Cj0KEQjwmPKeBRCj4bOro6nBitABEiQ ABa2FJIhXFafpQcKsTkpuFsbYmQugJd2yxgx3VAVjnadlVh0aA lJq8P8HAQ

and maybe even the same weight as the Enve

pbarry
08-02-2014, 07:07 PM
Rule #8a: No logo on a component shall be larger or more prominent than that on the frame. This goes double for logos on wheels.

:beer:

enve needs to re-work their logo/font size, pronto.

buddybikes
08-02-2014, 07:10 PM
my firefly stem wasn't cheap, but it is the one thing I look at while I am riding (the flowers anodized are in memory of my parents)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/fireflybicycles/10074446486/in/set-72157636160361504

krhea
08-02-2014, 07:11 PM

http://www.artscyclery.com/Zipp_SC_SL_Stem_6deg_Beyond_Black_110mm/descpage-ZPSCSLB.html?gclid=Cj0KEQjwmPKeBRCj4bOro6nBitABEiQ ABa2FJIhXFafpQcKsTkpuFsbYmQugJd2yxgx3VAVjnadlVh0aA lJq8P8HAQ

+1, totally agree. I had planned ENVE for my newest build then got a look at the Zipp stuff and immediately I lost the ability even pronounce Enve and for some weird reason when I got ready to for the Zipp stem, bar and post I laid my wallet on the counter and it immediately did the "happy dance". I weighed a 110mm Enve stem and got 125grs, my 110 Zipp Service Course SL weighs 127...

Llewellyn
08-02-2014, 07:27 PM
I think I paid only a bit more for my Llewellyn stem than what an Enve seems to cost. But for that I got a hand-crafted, lugged steel stem painted to match my bike exactly :banana:

I have no idea how much it weighs but it works and it looks 10x better than an Enve stem (and no hideous logo)

Climb01742
08-02-2014, 07:29 PM

Sweet stem. Thomson 2x stems are also understated and very clean.

CunegoFan
08-02-2014, 07:37 PM
Forget about ENVE. I'll spend my bling money when someone creates the JEALOUSY--I mean JEALOUSE--brand. That'll impress the Joneses.

kramnnim
08-02-2014, 08:13 PM
I don't get why the wheels come with black ENVE logos, but the other stuff doesn't.

thirdgenbird
08-02-2014, 08:18 PM
I don't get why the wheels come with black ENVE logos, but the other stuff doesn't.

Their wheels offer some tangible benefits over others and sell to those that don't like the branding. The other stuff sells to people that want to advertise the money they spent.

(Joking, sort of...)

Ozrider
08-02-2014, 08:41 PM
I agree that their stems, seatposts and bars should come with a black logo option. Large white logos don't match all paint schemes.
I have Enve kit on my Parlee, which I swapped out for the original 3T that I had on it originally. I really like the Enve components. Really well made and reliable.

velotrack
08-02-2014, 09:20 PM
How's this - if it's not for you don't buy it?

:confused:

We can argue all we want at what weighs the same or what we can do with the same price, but the point is people who want it have it and everyone else buys something else. As a forum of people who spend their existence and their dollar on bike stuff often far more outrageous as this, I'm really surprised how many people find a $250 stem unbearable.

thirdgenbird
08-02-2014, 09:26 PM

That's basically what most of us are saying. What's the confusion?

As a forum of people who spend their existence and their dollar on bike stuff often far more outrageous as this, I'm really surprised how many people find a $250 stem unbearable.

I wouldn't buy it if it were a $100 stem. Ugly is ugly regardless of price.

velotrack
08-02-2014, 09:32 PM
That's basically what most of us are saying. What's the confusion?

It can't just be me, but the vibe of many of the posts here is not "if you don't like it don't buy it" it's "don't buy it", period.

Rada
08-02-2014, 09:33 PM

We can argue all we want at what weighs the same or what we can do with the same price, but the point is people who want it have it and everyone else buys something else. As a forum of people who spend their existence and their dollar on bike stuff often far more outrageous as this, I'm really surprised how many people find a $250 stem unbearable.

Ok Mitt. Confused, not surprising.

Exonerv
08-02-2014, 09:41 PM
Great looking stem and an excellent way to honor your parents. Inspirational!

And allow me to mention...that is one hot, smoking Firefly.

my firefly stem wasn't cheap, but it is the one thing I look at while I am riding (the flowers anodized are in memory of my parents)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/fireflybicycles/10074446486/in/set-72157636160361504

thirdgenbird
08-02-2014, 09:43 PM
It can't just be me, but the vibe of many of the posts here is not "if you don't like it don't buy it" it's "don't buy it", period.

But the "don't buy it" is a personal opinion because they "don't like it" is it not?

Exonerv
08-02-2014, 09:49 PM
Did we give Rapha the day off?

Go check out that Firefly and be happy...:banana:

beeatnik
08-02-2014, 09:49 PM
fat guys need quality "american-made" parts

bcroslin
08-02-2014, 10:15 PM
Enve as a brand has always been perplexing to me. Enve/ Edge came out of nowhere with their wheels and seemed to blow up when the re-branding happened. I remember seeing the video of the Enve rep bouncing carbon hoops off a concrete floor and it went viral in cycling circles and then everyone had to have a set. The forks had a good reputation in CX circles and then the trickle of bars and stems started showing up on every expensive exotic build on Bikerumor.

Where the heck did Enve come from? No representation in the pro peloton yet everyone I know would kill for a set of Smart system wheels. They've got a great logo and make some cool products but $300 for a carbon stem? And I'm not a hater, I love the stuff but it's funny how some folks will trash Rapha and in the same breath covet a $300 stem.

firerescuefin
08-02-2014, 10:25 PM
Can't speak for their stems, but their wheels are the best I've ever had...by a decent margin. I've had 3 pairs of zipps, Corima aeros, and Eastons. Them not giving their wheels + cash to a bunch of pro tour teams means nothing as far as how good the wheels are.

Enve as a brand has always been perplexing to me. Enve/ Edge came out of nowhere with their wheels and seemed to blow up when the re-branding happened. I remember seeing the video of the Enve rep bouncing carbon hoops off a concrete floor and it went viral in cycling circles and then everyone had to have a set. The forks had a good reputation in CX circles and then the trickle of bars and stems started showing up on every expensive exotic build on Bikerumor.

Where the heck did Enve come from? No representation in the pro peloton yet everyone I know would kill for a set of Smart system wheels. They've got a great logo and make some cool products but $300 for a carbon stem? And I'm not a hater, I love the stuff but it's funny how some folks will trash Rapha and in the same breath covet a $300 stem.

kramnnim
08-02-2014, 10:50 PM
UHC did use them for at least a couple of years.

Kentf14
08-02-2014, 10:50 PM

Totally agree. Put an ENVE on my Firefly in order to match the phat tapered head tube.
Plus, what's a little extra $€ŁĄ, on a bike like that. ;)

pinoymamba
08-02-2014, 11:57 PM
I remember reading that enve came out with their stem to please their consumers. They also added that aluminum is the best material for a stem.

sitzmark
08-03-2014, 01:03 AM

Not really out of nowhere. Back when I was trying to understand the whole Serotta morass, a fork in the story crossed paths with what is now Enve. ... get it, "fork' in the story".. :banana: OK so it's late.

There's a connection that goes back to Reynolds pioneering days in composites. Mike Lopez, Jason Schiers, Paul Lew, Reynolds Composites, Ozo Pro forks, CF rims, Lew racing, etc. Long story short, Reynolds backed out of all things CF to focus on wheels. When the dust settled, Mike ended up producing CF forks for Serotta, Paul turned his focus to his engineering/racing background, and Jason stole Lew's secret formula for CF technology and wheel manufacture .. or so said Lew and Reynolds.

Outside of bicycles, Lew was involved with developing classified high performance composites technology for the US military. Lew wasn't happy when Jason quit to start his own business making CF bicycle parts with the Lew secret recipe. Lawsuits resulted, then kumbaya - everyone's happy.

Whoever's secret formula ... Edge wheels and forks just worked when other CF stuff didn't - light and bulletproof. Reputation gained. Companies and people willing to pay for the highest quality and leading composites technology turned to Edge. Right place, right karma ... Edge becomes "go to" in CF. International Trademark issue with name, so changed, but the wheels were already turning :p inside the building. Bunch of engineers, machinists, composite techs, and bike geeks making products with their hands in UT. No looking back.

Joachim
08-03-2014, 07:06 AM
Their wheels offer some tangible benefits over others and sell to those that don't like the branding. The other stuff sells to people that want to advertise the money they spent.

(Joking, sort of...)

Not even close and that was not on my mind at all when I bought an Enve stem. Funny how people think they know the reasoning behind a purchase decision ..... And then get it wrong.

thirdgenbird
08-03-2014, 08:32 AM
Not even close and that was not on my mind at all when I bought an Enve stem. Funny how people think they know the reasoning behind a purchase decision ..... And then get it wrong.

It was a joke. I said "sort of" just because I'm sure it happens. It happens with any high end part. It's why some people buy faux wheels and stems. Expand past one data point and I guarantee you find people that bought enve solely for the bling factor. There is nothing wrong with this (I've got record when veloce would do) but it might help explain the acceptance of the huge logo.

I get that enve has the second highest stiffness to weight ratio and isn't just a marketing effort. I don't belive anyone that says this manners in the real word vs another good stem.

Do you belive every enve customer bought for the same reason you did?

Joachim
08-03-2014, 08:52 AM
It was a joke. I said "sort of" just because I'm sure it happens. It happens with any high end part. It's why some people buy faux wheels and stems. Expand past one data point and I guarantee you find people that bought enve solely for the bling factor. There is nothing wrong with this (I've got record when veloce would do) but it might help explain the acceptance of the huge logo.

I get that enve has the second highest stiffness to weight ratio and isn't just a marketing effort. I don't belive anyone that says this manners in the real works vs another good stem.

Joking or not, you still made it sound that it is everyone who buys their components (other than wheels) and it's not. You did not say some buy it for that reason. The hypocrisy on this forum is great.

thirdgenbird
08-03-2014, 08:54 AM
Joking or not, you still made it sound that it is everyone who buys their components (other than wheels) and it's not. You did not say some buy it for that reason.

You read it as "everyone". I said "it sells to people", not "it only sells to people". I figure it's pretty understood that purchasing reasons are not always the same.

I'm sorry my poor attempt at a joke hit a chord with you. Sure, call me a hypocrite, but I wouldn't get upset if anyone made the same light hearted joke toward me. Part of it is true. If it were not, this industry wouldn't exist in the manner that it does.

Joachim
08-03-2014, 08:58 AM
You read it as "everyone". Common sense says purchases are made for different reasons. I'm sorry my poor attempt at a joke hit a chord with you.

It's the general idea behind the comment that struck a chord with me,not about an Enve stem specifically. People ride Record components (insert custom frame/wheels/leather handlebar tape etc in here), but then have a opinion about an expensive stem. Similar to the Lamborghini owner who complains about gas prices.

thirdgenbird
08-03-2014, 09:04 AM
It's the general idea behind the comment that struck a chord with me,not about an Enve stem specifically. People ride Record components (insert custom frame/wheels/leather handlebar tape etc in here), but then have a opinion about an expensive stem. Similar to the Lamborghini owner who complains about gas prices.

I would make the same statement about most of these parts. I would make it about things I have purchased. It wasn't a dig, it was a light hearted joke about an industry built off excess. I'm not afraid to joke about it, myself included. I accept "because I can" as a valid reason to make a purchase. I don't always do it myself, but I sure have (and don't regret it)

Joachim
08-03-2014, 09:09 AM
I would make the same statement about most of these parts. I would make it about things I have purchased. It wasn't a dig, it was a light hearted joke about an industry built off excess. I'm not afraid to joke about it, myself included. I accept "because I can" as a valid reason to make a purchase. I don't always do it myself, but I sure have (and don't regret it)

And I would like to add that it's not really your comment in isolation, more like the final drop in the bucket (and you were just the last drop) of comments that come around on the forum regularly about expensive this or that. So maybe I should quoted the original poster. Gaulzetti comes to mind, Parlee, Meivici/Serotta prices, Veloflex tubulars. You name it. All of this on a forum where a large focus is on custom bikes.

malcolm
08-03-2014, 09:12 AM
Most cycling purchases are because it's something you like. I'm doing a new 650b mtn bike now that will have enve rims. Do I need them ? No. I like them and I can afford them, thankfully. I would be just as fast and most likely have just as much fun or a big store entry level mtn bike, but this is what I like, it's what moves me and it's where I spend most of my discretionary income.

I remember as a young guy riding my cobbled together bianchi with a hodgepodge of campy friction stuff looking at the old guys on their colnagos and pinarellos with super record and thinking what a waste. I'm the old can now and I like it so I do it, simple as that.

OtayBW
08-03-2014, 09:16 AM
I recently bought an Enve bar and stem as a package. The bar has a lot of advantages that I like, such as as front/rear recessed cable routing and profile shape that's good for me. However, the logo on the stem is fugly, ASAIK - combination of large type and this tiny type together - but it's not the end of the world if it serves its function well.

If this is an issue, check out Jeff K (Kokies) and problem solved: http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=146051. He does great work.

thirdgenbird
08-03-2014, 09:18 AM
And I would like to add that it's not really your comment in isolation, more like the final drop in the bucket (and you were just the last drop) of comments that come around on the forum regularly about expensive this or that.... Gaulzetti comes to mind, Parlee, Meivici/Serotta prices, Veloflex tubulars. You name it. All of this on a forum where a large focus is on custom bikes.

Sorry I had to be that drop. As I said, I've got no problem with any of it. I don't understand the negativity either. I joked about it because I know its true.

I want a zetti so bad it hurts. I haven't done it because I've got no need, but someday I will cave :)

If you told me you bought your stem because it matched your wheels would give you a hard time, but only to give you a hard time. I'm the guy that started a thread about locating a matching Italian quill stem and bar. If logos didn't manner, I would have gone nitto :) the differnce is, *I* find enve ugly. I personally understand a $450 custom painted enve more than a stock one. What I really understand is Thomson and deda (excess in itself)

fuzzalow
08-03-2014, 09:38 AM
Won't buy an Enve carbon stem because IMO it is bulbous and ugly looking. And it isn't made in a -17 degree which has a way of limiting my options.

Nuthin' wrong with bling. Bling is good. When I was younger, I never looked at older guys with probikes and thought "What a waste", I just admired the bike and knew that I'd someday get one like it for myself.

Man, anything bling on this forum seems to turn defensive real quick. Ridiculous and unnecessary. Ricky Nelson sang in "Garden Party" - "say ya can't please everyone, so you gotta please yourself".

laupsi
08-03-2014, 10:17 AM
reminder, expensive doesn't necessarily equate to "bling". me thinks a lot of negative criticism is thrown at expensive things because it's justification for those who either cannot afford or choose simply not to purchase expensive items. it's buyer's choice, but if the choice is not to purchase simply because of cost it doesn't infer the item is "bling".

likewise, if someonce chooses to purchase the expensive item it may simply be they choose to do so because they view the item and it associated cost and see value.

no one holds the final say in what is or isn't bling for bling's sake.

bluesea
08-03-2014, 10:42 AM
Before the discovery of bling there were gruppo seatposts and Italian stems.

Uncle Jam's Army
08-03-2014, 10:45 AM
ENVE stuff is cool, IMO. I've owned a number of ENVE wheels over time (currently on a set of 6.7's) and, whatever the secret formula is, it works. Well built rims, noticeable aero benefit at speed, and some of the best customer service/support you'll ever experience. I also love the seatpost, very easy to adjust angle and set.

As to the stem, yes, the owner did say that he saw no performance benefit of a carbon stem over an aluminum one, but that his customers wanted it, so he made it. Me, personally, I like the stem . . . on the proper bike. With blacked-out decals, it looked really good on a Crumpton I used to own, but I didn't pay anywhere near retail for it, either. When my fitter told me to go down 1 cm in stem size, I replaced the stem with a Deda ARX blacked out stem, because I didn't have the coin for another ENVE stem and didn't know where I could get another with blacked-out decals (now I know that kokies is the man for this sort of thing!). Worked the same, but didn't look as good juxtaposed against such large tubes on first the Crumpton, then the Scott that replaced it.

I wouldn't put it on a steel frame, though. Just looks out of sorts.

shovelhd
08-03-2014, 10:49 AM
Some people just enjoy being snarky.

bcroslin
08-03-2014, 11:04 AM
Not really out of nowhere. Back when I was trying to understand the whole Serotta morass, a fork in the story crossed paths with what is now Enve. ... get it, "fork' in the story".. :banana: OK so it's late.

There's a connection that goes back to Reynolds pioneering days in composites. ...

Great info on the back story. Thanks for sharing.

CunegoFan
08-03-2014, 11:14 AM
Some people just enjoy being snarky.

True. Then there are those who take every snarky comment as a personal slight.

thirdgenbird
08-03-2014, 11:34 AM
True. Then there are those who take every snarky comment as a personal slight.

And that's why I should have restrained on a public forum. There way a canyon between the intent and perception of my post. Easy to see why.

Duende
08-03-2014, 12:25 PM
I'm ok with it on steel.

Llewellyn
08-03-2014, 05:12 PM

r_mutt
08-03-2014, 08:28 PM
What- is Enve the new Rapha?

I'm with the poster who laughs at the hippocracy of complaining about $300 stems while riding a $3000 custom steel frame. At least the stem has some supposed performance benefits. The frame is just jewelry.

I don't have a stem, but I do have a set of the wheels. Owned a Edge 65 and now the Enve 67's. Best wheels I've owned.

tuscanyswe
08-03-2014, 09:07 PM
i dont particularly like the look of enve stems. Wish i did since i like the fork and seat posts and it would be an easy choice for a stem but theres something not quite right about it.

sandyrs
08-03-2014, 09:07 PM
What- is Enve the new Rapha?

I'm with the poster who laughs at the hippocracy of complaining about $300 stems while riding a $3000 custom steel frame. At least the stem has some supposed performance benefits. The frame is just jewelry.

I don't have a stem, but I do have a set of the wheels. Owned a Edge 65 and now the Enve 67's. Best wheels I've owned.

The frame has fewer performance benefits than the stem? What about fit?

r_mutt
08-03-2014, 10:30 PM
The frame has fewer performance benefits than the stem? What about fit?

3K custom steel vs off the rack frame.

Kentf14
08-03-2014, 10:51 PM
I love the vigorous debate. As many have already said... If you don't like it, don't buy it. My bike was built up to make me happy, and it does the job.

As for the logos, +1 on blacking them out.

thirdgenbird
08-03-2014, 10:55 PM
Much better. The plain circle helps the logo a lot.

I would still rather have a 2x. I'm not a fan of the clamp shape and how it meets the spacers.

macaroon
08-04-2014, 05:03 AM
I'm ok with it on steel.

In my eyes they just look too bulbous/fat/chunky. And the huge logo doesnt help things either.

You can probably get away with them on a logo covered carbon race bike. On a steel bike they just dont sit right. It's at loggerheads with the slim, gloss black tubing. A Thomson X2 would look just right (and it would match your seatpost)

Ryun
08-04-2014, 07:00 AM
I think Enve came to the forefront with a solid product and a little luck. Reynolds quit making forks and there was a bit of a vacuum for smaller builders. They stepped in with a very solid product. From there, the wheels jumped in and grew from there.

I have had nothing but good experience with their products. Always do what they are supposed to do and rarely if ever have issues.

The stems work, are nice and stiff, dont creak etc. Id like to use em on my bikes but for me the shape doesnt fit with steel bikes. Nothing against enve; same issues with 3t ARX ltd and Ritchey superlogic. Sure its pricey but so are most things at this level.
Most of us arent riding around on tiagra with basic components although that would do the job for most of it so it really is just a matter of your personal priorities. Some dont feel high dollar bottle cages are worth it or Super record vs athena.

I do think alot of the stem purchases are driven by matching bar and seatpost both of which from Enve are supposed to be very solid. I do like that they dont chase the lightest weight on their products. It suggests to me that they are looking at the complete performance of an item.

BTW, I like their stems better painted

Duende
08-04-2014, 02:39 PM
In my eyes they just look too bulbous/fat/chunky. And the huge logo doesnt help things either.

You can probably get away with them on a logo covered carbon race bike. On a steel bike they just dont sit right. It's at loggerheads with the slim, gloss black tubing. A Thomson X2 would look just right (and it would match your seatpost)

Yeah.. I had an X2.

No more two bolt stems for me ever again. Just NOT safe! Trust me, I learned the hard way.

Anyways, I don't mind the look and I love the security. Bars are awesome too!

macaroon
08-04-2014, 02:59 PM
Yeah.. I had an X2.

No more two bolt stems for me ever again. Just NOT safe! Trust me, I learned the hard way.

Anyways, I don't mind the look and I love the security. Bars are awesome too!

I agree with regards to the performance of the Thomson, I would never buy one ever again either!

Zipp Service Course SL on the other hand, great stem and it looks sleek to. As does the seatpost.....